Android device app/support

Hello. Just wanted to ask if anyone knows if AN plans to develop an android app in the near future? I have one in my ipad which works good but doesn’t have 3G so its limited. I tried to search for any threads regarding any discussion about it but nothing specific turned up.Thanks for replying.

I would like to second the idea. I’m planning to get an Android smartphone later this year and would love to have a TAN app for it.

Look no further than http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Whats-On/Anime-Network-on-Mobile/Android.

Thanks.I’ve seen the link you gave me before but what I was looking for is an app that can be downloaded on my android phone that will have access to AN anime library like the ipad app especially since I’m thinking of subscribing.

I’m resurrecting this thread because I just got a smartphone last (Black) Friday. I went to look at what TAN offered at the Android Market. All I saw was a bunch of PPV shows. I then got an e-mail from Crunchyroll-they offered me a year’s all-access subscription at half price. I bought it and then installed the Crunchyroll app on my phone. I now have instant access to everything Crunchyroll provides, not just on my computer but on my smartphone.

Guess what, Valkyrie Media Partners? I’m less and less inclined to put any money into the TAN OP. I’m even getting a number of simulcasts that I’d have to watch on computer from TAN that I can watch on my smartphone from Crunchyroll. I think it’s time you start re-evaluating your business model. It’s beginning to be so… dated.

Let me know if you ever decide to catch up to the cutting edge-I might just decide to send some money in your direction again.

I too would like a native Android app for the subscription service, similar to what you have on iOS. When I got my Android phone a few months ago, I was disappointed that all TAN had were movie rentals and PPV apps for a couple of shows. :frowning: I also do not like having to watch TAN on my phone through the Android web browser w/ Flash; rather have a native app.

tetrisdork wrote:

I have no problem watching TAN’s Online Player on my Android phone (HTC Thunderbolt, 2.2 Froyo). When full-screen is selected, the JWPlayer is just as good as Crunchyroll’s dedicated player.

Newshawk wrote:

You don’t need the Android Market to view the Online-Player simulcasts.

Both Opera and the built-in Internet browser play just fine. After clicking on the JWPlayer’s full-screen icon, the viewing experience is just as good as the Crunchyroll app.

As do I. I have access to everything TAN provides, not just on my computer, but also on my smartphone.

I haven’t had to watch any of this season’s simulcasts on my computer; I view them full screen (HD on) on my Android smartphone using either the Android Internet browser or Opera Mobile. (Firefox Beta has problems; nothing happens after selecting Dubbed or Subtitled.)

I fail to understand your complaint. A dedicated app, one that would only play content from TAN’s Online-Player, is not required for viewing.

Granted, it would be convenient to have web pages optimized for Android (quick, vertical scrolling, no horizontal scrolling, no extraneous frames).

My request to TAN: Create Blog / Important Notice for Anime Network Online Users - Anime Network that has all the info from Blog / Important Notice for Anime Network Online Users - Anime Network but in a single-column layout that is designed for ease of use via smartphones and tablets.

Thank you joe. We’re making our way to an Android app, we just need a little time. After seeing the previous post I went and tried to watch something on my Galaxy SII and didnt have a problem. In fact I watched today’s ep. of P4 in HD on my Android tablet and had no problems at all.

Rai wrote:

Until the app comes out, it is my opinion that most of the functionality can be made with a set of simple HTML pages. (Cut out extraneous CSS definitions, just make it a tall and narrow scrolling document.)

The only problem’s I’ve seen today in using the Android Internet browser has to do with watching episode 01 of Samurai Girls. “Dubbed” plays just fine, “Subtitled” brings up a video that is 00:00 in length on the smartphone.

Problem reported to the Blog / Important Notice for Anime Network Online Users - Anime Network.

I think everyone needs to be a little more patient about an Android app. It’s been mentioned before, actually a few times, that they are working on one. However, you have to remember that developing an app for iOS and Android are two entirely different things. With iOS you have only a few different hardware and software variations. With Android you have 100s of different software and hardware combinations. What works on something like a Galaxy 2 may not work on an HTC Incredible 2.

I’ve experienced this many times with my old Android phone, particularly after “updates”.

SpaceCobraJoe wrote:

[quote]You don’t need the Android Market to view the Online-Player simulcasts.

Both Opera and the built-in Internet browser play just fine. After clicking on the JWPlayer’s full-screen icon, the viewing experience is just as good as the Crunchyroll app.[/quote]

I tried that with four browsers. The stock browser and Dolphin Mini and HD don’t play video at all. (This is with my membership set to Registered). Opera Mini gives me a “Denied by Region” OSD which has been reported to TAN admin. SkyFire plays video but it does not fill the screen. This may be due to my Registered status at this time. When I once again subscribe to the Premium service, I’ll see if it improves. So, for right now, the ANOP is not the best solution for me.

SpaceCobraJoe also wrote:

Actually, that is exactly what the Crunchyroll app is-the web site optimized for Android. Rai has indicated they are still working on it. I just hope it takes less time to get released than the new DirecTV HD TiVo.

SpaceCobraJoe yet again wrote:

I don’t know about Opera Mobile, but Opera Mini has a single column option that does convert the “Watch Anime Now” page to a single column, but it’s not much good when the browser is Denied by Region.

What’s a crotchety ol’ Otaku Grandpa supposed to do with his newfangled toy?

Newshawk wrote:

[quote]SpaceCobraJoe wrote:

[quote]You don’t need the Android Market to view the Online-Player simulcasts.

Both Opera and the built-in Internet browser play just fine. After clicking on the JWPlayer’s full-screen icon, the viewing experience is just as good as the Crunchyroll app.[/quote]

I tried that with four browsers. The stock browser and Dolphin Mini and HD don’t play video at all. (This is with my membership set to Registered). Opera Mini gives me a “Denied by Region” OSD which has been reported to TAN admin. SkyFire plays video but it does not fill the screen.[/quote]

The built-in Internet browser will not play videos when “Mobile view” is selected. With that off, video plays for me just fine; both HD or not, both regular or fullscreen.

Firefox beta is giving me problems.

Tried Verizon Opera Mini but no video played; attempting to play videos from CNN.com produces “This CNN feature is optimized for Adobe Flash Player version 9 or higher”. (A similar problem occur when using the Opera browser on the Wii game platform.) This is not surprising, since Opera Mini talks to the service provider’s (Verizon, ATT, etc) re-encoding servers. Those servers talk to the destination web servers, render the results into the server’s memory, then re-encodes the image in a form optimized for the smartphone. Entering “about:” in the address bar shows how old it is.

about: (About Opera)
Version = 10.00
Build = 1084
Platform = Pike v7.8 release 517
Copyright © 1995-2008 Opera Software ASA. (OpenSSL from 2007)

Tried Skyfire, but the login cookie is not recognized, which means that the video player goes to Hulu and they don’t support Android.

Partial good luck with Dolphin HD - it would not play 11 Eyes (JWPlayer started but showed the video as being 0:00 long). But Samurai Girls episode 01 plays (both Subtitled and Dubbed, as long as HD is off). Fullscreen looks good.

-Joe

Well, I went back on Premium status yesterday (as an annual subscriber-it’s the cheapest way to go) so once I get my Optimus V recharged I’ll try everything out again to see if I have any better luck with the various browsers.

When I search for the Anime Network on my Droid Bionic’s Store it doesn’t show it. Was it removed?

TAN has never had an app for android like the one it has for iOS. What had been there were VOD titles and from what I understand they have been dropped. If you have Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) or older and you already have Flash on your device, you should be able to access the TAN web pages via your favorite browser. If you have Jelly Bean (4.1) or just bought a phone, you’re out of luck. Adobe withdrew Flash from the Google Play Store as it is no longer supported in Android-Google’s going with HTML5.

That’s a shame!

I really enjoy watching Anime at lunch time on my Galaxy Note II…

The Crackle app ROCKS!

1. My Nexus 7 tablet would not play Flash videos. Back in July 2012, the http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ page mentioned that Flash would not be supported on any version of Android after the 4.0.x series. The version on Nexus 7 was 4.1 and is now 4.2.2.

2. The FAQ at Justin.tv had a link to a flash.apk file that allowed videos to play, but no audio.

3. On February 17th, my HTC Thunderbolt phone got an upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4). That is 15 months after all the other smartphones got upgraded to ICS.

4. After the upgrade, embedded videos like the Online Player stopped working. Just a black rectangle with a tiny blue cube with question marks.

5. Found this: http://androidforums.com/htc-thunderbolt/687610-after-downloading-ics-i-can-not-play-not-play-video-in-web-browserb.html.

6. Answer is: http://www.androiddrawer.com/7633/download-adobe-flash-player-11-11-1-115-34-app-apk/, released December 11, 2012. It officially supports “Android4.0.4”.

7. After downloading and installing that APK, TAN’s Online Player works for both my smartphone [size=5]and on the Nexus-7 !![/size]

Hurray, I’m a happy camper! :cheer: :woohoo:

-Joe

[quote=“SpaceCobraJoe” post=135839]

1. Answer is: http://www.androiddrawer.com/7633/download-adobe-flash-player-11-11-1-115-34-app-apk/, released December 11, 2012. It officially supports “Android4.0.4”.

2. After downloading and installing that APK, TAN’s Online Player works for both my smartphone [size=5]and on the Nexus-7 !![/size][/quote]

Joe, how do you side-load?

[quote=“Newshawk” post=135885]

1. Answer is: http://www.androiddrawer.com/7633/download-adobe-flash-player-11-11-1-115-34-app-apk/, released December 11, 2012. It officially supports “Android4.0.4”.

2. After downloading and installing that APK, TAN’s Online Player works for both my smartphone [size=5]and on the Nexus-7 !![/size]

Joe, how do you side-load?[/quote]

If you mean how to install an apk, you need a file explorer program like es file explorer. Then all you have to do (after you download the apk) is find the apk using the explorer app and when you tap on the apk file it will ask you if you want to install it.

FYI, I downloaded the latest Firefox (fennec-18.0.multi.android-arm) and it works playing TAN vids using the online player. I have Adobe Flash 11.1.115.6 running on my tablet.