Anime Network Website Suggestions (pre-2015)

We just launched a new design based on user feedback. So what’s next? Well, that’s up to you guys, so keep the suggestions coming!

I think it’d be nice if the Community/ANHQ section focused more on uploaded user media. An image/video portal would be cool–people could upload photos/vids they take at conventions and whatnot.

I like the look of things, but i can’t seem to watch anything. It keeps telling me i am denied access because of my region. I live in FL (US) lol.

In the watch anime section section were one can pick their anime based on A-Z, Popular, etc. you need one were one can choose by genre/sub-genres, say sci-fi, drama, echii, a combination of 2 or 3 genres, etc.

The following things used to work, but got broken sometime around http://www.theanimenetwork.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,65/catid,18/func,view/id,35975/#42034.

Fix the code ] display so that blanks are the same width as all other chars by getting rid of the function that converts space to “& n b s p ;”. The column of “x” below should all line up vertically (and the “0” on the first two lines should be identical). 1234567890_x 1234567890 x 123456789 x 12345678 x 1234567 x 123456 x 12345 x 1234 x 123 x 12 x 1 x x end of Code: ]

The image below shows how it shows up on Firefox.
http://www.theanimenetwork.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/TAN_code_FF.jpg It renders non-breaking spaces as being wider than plain fixed-width spaces.

Tested on Windows 7 (Home Premium):

Firefox - the 'x’s get farther and farther apart, as seen above.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Opera - the 'x’s line up, but the first line has a digit that looks like “Ø” instead of "0"
Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 6.1; U; en) Presto/2.5.22 Version/10.50

Chrome - displays as expected.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.1.249.1025 Safari/532.5.

Safari - displays as expected.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/531.21.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Safari/531.21.10

MSIE 8 - displays properly for a split second, then Javascript screws thing up while attempting to make the strings of digits show up in red; all line breaks disappear, as seen below.
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0)
http://www.theanimenetwork.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/TAN_code.jpg The column of numbers is unreadable.

Ordered List ol ] = each line is supposed to be prefixed by a number:

1. one

(that is ** li ] one /li ]** there)
1. two

1. three

Unordered List ul ] = each line is supposed to be prefixed by an asterisk:

- alpha

- beta

- gamma

View Source shows that the correct HTML is being generated, therefore the must be some bad CSS that is screwing up the li ]… /li ] elements.

Test to see if the different text sizes are in fact different.
[size=1]: ASDFGhjkl;0123456789 = Very Small text; size=1[/size]
[size=2]: ASDFGhjkl;0123456789 = ____ Small text; size=2[/size]
[size=3]: ASDFGhjkl;0123456789 = ___ Normal text; size=3[/size]
[size=4]: ASDFGhjkl;0123456789 = __ _ Large text; size=4[/size]
[size=5]: ASDFGhjkl;0123456789 = Very Large text; size=5[/size] (should be different from size=4)
Appears that the definition for span class=“fbxl” is the same as class=“fbl”.

Would it be possible to change the color of the numbers displayed in the “Who’s Online” area? I can’t see them at all:

http://img13.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20100312at101.png/http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6810/screenshot20100312at101.png

Remove the Karma from the forums. been about -5 for months now.

More anime on demand would be nice because that’s where i watch all my anime. Also before you view a show you see nose bleed icon or skimpy clothing icon
when there is’nt any could you fix that so it’s more acurate? :blush: thank you

Goobernickel wrote:

[quote]More anime on demand would be nice because that’s where i watch all my anime. Also before you view a show you see nose bleed icon or skimpy clothing icon
when there is’nt any could you fix that so it’s more acurate? :blush: thank you[/quote]

The icons and ratings system has definitely been iffy for a while now, unfortunately. Hopefully it’s something they’ll address.

As far as more anime, Anime Network is beholden to your Cable/Satellite Company and the VOD company that provides your Cable/Satellite company service.

If you want more anime, you can be proactive by calling, emailing and writing letters to your Cable company asking you’d like to see more anime from Anime Network VOD on their service.

Anime Network also offers more anime through Subscription service here on Anime Network Online: http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Watch-Online

chrisc wrote:

Feels like people are being judged on there posts in the forum. However Its a good way to keep people from posting, you don’t like someone just keep giving them less karma till they stop posting. Perfect for bullies. :stuck_out_tongue:

chrisc wrote:

[quote]chrisc wrote:

Feels like people are being judged on there posts in the forum. However Its a good way to keep people from posting, you don’t like someone just keep giving them less karma till they stop posting. Perfect for bullies. :P[/quote]

You know, I’m not too fond of the karma system myself, as I find it rather pointless.
But taking into consideration some of your posts, both past and present, does your score really surprise you that much?

The Coffee God wrote:

[quote]chrisc wrote:

Feels like people are being judged on there posts in the forum. However Its a good way to keep people from posting, you don’t like someone just keep giving them less karma till they stop posting. Perfect for bullies. :stuck_out_tongue:
You know, I’m not too fond of the karma system myself, as I find it rather pointless.
But taking into consideration some of your posts, both past and present, does your score really surprise you that much?[/quote]

Oh…snap!!!
Oh no u dinit?
:ohmy:

The Coffee God wrote:

[quote]chrisc wrote:

But taking into consideration some of your posts, both past and present, does your score really surprise you that much?[/quote]

Not at all, if it does anything it would just keep me from posting. The karma rating should be with the post in question. It should reset to zero for your next post, if thir must be a karma thing.

The mods aren’t fond of the Karma system and we’ve had a long discussion in the community as well as between the admins before. For a number of reasons they want to keep it. The case is pretty much closed on it.

Like Coffee said, you created a situation for yourself and rather than confront you (like I do ;)), people instead Karma you down. I guess some people are afraid to get confrontational. Personally I think people should use the PM system or tell someone off to their face rather than constantly Karma.

If you prove a change through participating more in a balanced way in a variety of threads, get to know people more (ie. post more than just about sub-only or asking about blu) or try to help around, I’ll reset your Karma and remove the negative.

Try it, we’re really a fun loving community here. :slight_smile:

I hate Karma its a bitch.

psychopuppet wrote:

Indeed, it comes back to bite.

dragoon wrote:

[quote]The mods aren’t fond of the Karma system and we’ve had a long discussion in the community as well as between the admins before. For a number of reasons they want to keep it. The case is pretty much closed on it.

Like Coffee said, you created a situation for yourself and rather than confront you (like I do ;)), people instead Karma you down. I guess some people are afraid to get confrontational. Personally I think people should use the PM system or tell someone off to their face rather than constantly Karma.

If you prove a change through participating more in a balanced way in a variety of threads, get to know people more (ie. post more than just about sub-only or asking about blu) or try to help around, I’ll reset your Karma and remove the negative.

Try it, we’re really a fun loving community here. :)[/quote]

The problem is before I only came around when new news came out, and I added my opinion about subs. I’m really not like that much. With Clannad dubed I can’t think of why I would complain about subs, I never been that against subs before Clannad got it. Blu-ray just forget about, I dont care much.

Yeah that makes sense.

Post around more and in the next few days, I’ll restore you if you show that you’re genuine. We give second chances around here. We’re a lot more fun loving than you might think. :wink: The more the merrier.

Page tickers, to see how many people have watched certain episodes of different anime. That way you know that what you like is something everyone else hates - so you can watch it faster before it’s taken offline.

http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Clannad-After-Story/Info

1. Each episode is listed twice.
  2. “Languages: 25” should be “Languages: Japanese with English subtitles”.