Anime Recommendations

Whether you’re new to anime and need some navigation through the endless stream of titles to start off (streaming) or perhaps you’re well on your way as a collector and would like some ideas to liven up your collection. Whichever it is for you, from must-sees to “You Gotta Own This,” etc. this thread will be a dumping ground for all the anime recommendations for everyone to see. You don’t have to discuss your reasons why but you may do so if that’s your preference. The option is left to you.

Since this thread is basically a dumping ground for recommendations, let’s change things up a bit and expand on this thread. If you are itching to say something about a show as a whole, you may do so here. Spoilers will now be allowed as well.

However, general comments will only be allowed here. AND if your comment isn’t something that should be discussed in a show thread. If you don’t see a show thread and don’t feel like making one, just ask and someone will make it for you.

Here are some examples of the types of comments you can make in this thread:

“Food Wars!
This show is really entertaining. Started off weird but later on you can’t help but get pumped up for the food competitions and you really begin to like the characters. You don’t feel as through the story gets boring.”

A response –
“I agree with you! The food looked so good that every episode made me hungry!”

Or a spoiler comment –

Spoiler

“I laughed so hard when Soma won the competition with Ikumi in one of the episodes. And her reaction to his winning dish was something else!”

Of course, if you really want to discuss the show or a particular episode in depth, you would need to use a show thread. Please just keep it light here. Any continued discussion of an anime will be moved to that anime’s thread.

We are hoping to point new members to this thread to see if we can get them excited to watch something – hence the title of this thread.

We hope that this is a step towards getting the anime section of this forum more active! We already have a great start here, so keep it coming!

To kick things off on a fun note, here’s a nice introductory video I found.
Warning: Parts of the video come off a bit noisy, so keep your speakers down a bit.

An easy show I can recommend is Shiki (屍鬼). I went into it with shaky but good impressions, and I can’t say that it let me down in any real department.
There were a few ups and downs, though. I wasn’t too big on a lot of the character designs, but a few grew on me in time. The music is good though, even if there isn’t much diversity in the tracks they use.

I would recommend this as a thought-provoking title. Keep your mind open. Just be aware that it may take a little to start up. If you are squeamish, Please take caution.
Additionally, I recommend watching the two special episodes (20.5 and 21.5) in order with the rest of the series; I watched them after the show had finished, and believe they would be enjoyed more in order.

Many streaming titles need some love out there. The Spring 2015 season is probably the best set of titles I’ve seen. Here’s some of the key (mostly Funimation) ones that stuck out to me.

The Heroic Legend of Arlsan
Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign
Ultimate Otaku Teacher
Triage X
Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches
I Can’t Understand What My Husband is Saying (both seasons)
Show By Rock!!
Blood Blockade Battlefront
Rainy Cocoa (Just 2 minutes of your time.)
Assassination Classroom

I also recommend card battle series Future Card Buddyfight and Cardfight!! Vanguard if you’re willing to take the long journey forward to catch up.

1 Like

This just reminded me of a title I forgot about.
Also as this shows, the more people who recommend the same title(s), the more you’ll convince someone else/newly interested.

Bakemonogatari (all of the monogatari series)
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Trigun
Desert Punk
Noein
Lupin the 3rd
Shin-chan
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Akira
Redline
Samurai Champloo
The Place Promised in Our Early Days

(some of these may have been mentioned in those videos but I have not watched them yet so if they have tell me and I will erase them from this list)

1 Like

If you have a strong tolerance for cheesy humor (which I adore), I would suggest looking for old OOP DVD’s of Doki Doki School Hours. Quite simply, one of the lightest school comedies out there. The OVA’s even bring up the long debate between summer clothes and winter clothes! Everyone in the cast is eccentric in some way or another.

Anime Terms: Magical Girls, Slice of Life and Harem

• more recommendations

For new and current collectors alike, here are 5 series I would recommend to place on your shelf (if you don’t already have them.) I am speaking specifically from my own collection.

From My Collection to Yours (Part I)
Soul Eater
The World God Only Knows (multi-season)
Baka and Test (both seasons)
Angel Beats
Golgo 13

More to come in future posts.

Another show I can recommend is Murder Princess (マーダー·プリンセス). This show isn’t particularly dazzling I would say, but it is at least worth a gander. Being a quick OVA of 6 episodes, you could easily finish it in one sitting, though I recommend not doing so.
Iffy on the art, but I really enjoyed the characters and setting, and also love the op/end songs. If you can watch it with friends, I suggest it.

I would recommend this as an action/character title. Just sit back and let it soak in.

1 Like

If you’re a fan of fast cars and fast women. For lovers of car movies from Vanishing Point to today’s Fast and Furious series, and Rick Baker fans as well.

2 Likes

A little different, but I believe I can recommend Kotoura-San (琴浦さん). It is the usual 12-episodes, kicking off with what led my friend and I to calling this anime “Depression-Chan”. Just wait until everything shatters, it happens early on.
Really nice art style, with probably one of the best openings of its type I’ve seen in a long while. It can seem kind of basic at times, but is really good if you get invested.

I would recommend this as a dramromcom title. It’s a real mixed bag for sure.

1 Like

Other series to recommend for a collection, the basic essentials: (more spread out genre-wise)

High School of the Dead (Seinen)
Love Hina (Harem)
Get Backers (Action)
Full Metal Panic (multi-season; Mecha)

Also in the streaming world, I would recommend taking advantage of the sports titles out there like Ace of the Diamond (baseball), Kuroko’s Basketball or Baby Steps (tennis).

BEFORE POSTING: Some well-thought-out new adjustments have been made to this thread. Please be sure to brush up on the revised rules in the opening post before adding anything in here.

Thank you.

It’s hard to find disappointment in any of the Sentai shows here. In addition to that, some others from this Spring 2015 season that I like are -

Blood Blockade Battlefront

Spoiler

I love the NY/Hellsalem’s Lot setting in this one.

Comical Psychosomatic Medicine
The episodes are short and very funny.

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works

Gunslinger Stratos

The Heroic Legend of Arslan

I Can’t Understand What My Husband is Saying: Second Thread
Again, the episodes are short and very funny.

Plastic Memories

Spoiler

I have a feeling that it will be this season’s tear jerker!

Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign

Ultimate Otaku Teacher
I wish I had this kind of teacher in high school!

But I think my absolute standout favorite this season is The Eden of Grisaia.

Spoiler

This sequel to The Fruit of Grisaia shows Yuji’s story from early childhood to present day, much of which is pretty tragic. I am really drawn to this story and can hardly wait the week between episodes!

Now, if you want to talk older stuff, that’s a whole other list! :laughing:

But I do agree with much of what is posted here. And there are a few that I need to add to my own watch list!

Comical Psychosomatic Medicine
They’re not afraid to go deep down in there. No human is safe.

I think I’ll finally get around to recommending one of my favorite series, Bakemonogatari (化物語). Though I recommend watching the entire Monogatari series, this is a good place to start.
Interesting visuals, a good soundtrack, and dynamic characters all bring this masterpiece together. If you get bored from long strings of talking or mental gymnastics, then this probably is not for you.

I would recommend this as a thought-provoking title. It likes to delve into a lot of philosophy and inward-thinking, but keeps it pretty fun overall. It does get a little odd sometimes, though.

[details=This is the order I recommend watching the seasons in (as I watched them in this order).]
Bakemonogatari => Nisemonogatari => Nekomonogatari (Black) => Bakemonogatari S2 => Tsukimonogatari => Hanamonogatari
There is also a movie coming out sometime soon, Kizumonogatari, which is a prequel to them all.

This is the chronological order.

Kizumonogatari => Nekomonogatari (Black) => Bakemonogatari => Nisemonogatari => Bakemonogatari S2 => Tsukimonogatari => Hanamonogatari[/details]

1 Like

My Love Story

Spoiler

Episode 9- I really liked how Takeo didn’t hide his feelings about Suna’s dad having surgery even if it meant disrupting a birthday in the process. As much as that had to be a tug-of-war emotionally, Yamato understood and Suna’s dad pulled through successfully so it worked out well for everyone in the end. :smile:

The Heroic Legend of Arslan

Spoiler

This series continues to get impressive the further it goes. I’m really enjoying Prince Arslan’s journey and continued growth through his trials and tribulations.

Amagi Brilliant Park

Dog Days (seasons one & two)

Coppelion - the artwork alone is gorgeous!

Flowers of Evil - it will surprise you.

Glass Mask

Hell Girl

Inu x Boku Secret Service

Kamisama Dolls

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic (& season two)

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit

Nerima Daikon Brothers - just for fun and laughs.

Occult Academy

Oreshura

Polyphonica

Princess Resurrection

Red Garden

Servant x Service

Shigofumi: Letters from the Departed

Silver Spoon

Tears To Tiara

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Usagi Drop

Vandread (& season two)

Wake Up Girls!

Witch Craft Works

1 Like

Punchline –
A little on the strange (juice) side, but very entertaining.

Is it Wrong to Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
Nope, I don’t think it’s wrong at all. And the anime is good too!

Etotama –
I’ve learned a lot about the Chinese zodiac and probably none of it is true!

Utano Princesama Revolutions -
Eye candy is always appreciated and every season brings more!

Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches -
Well, if you like high school girls with strange witch powers, and want to experiment with kissing, then this one’s for you!

Death Parade –
Tackles the question of life and gives a pretty darn good answer.

Plastic Memories –
A real tearjerker as expected, but a wonderful story. Keep tissues handy!

The Eden of Grisaia –
My favorite anime of the Spring season! It’s one great story with a perfect hero type ending.

The titles I’d most recommend people check out are:

Aquarian Age-Sign for Evolution
Armitage III OVA and the movies
Baccano
BECK
Beyond the Boundary
Blue Gender
Bunny Drop
Castle in the Sky
Coicent/Five Numbers
Cowboy Bebop and the Movie
Crest of the Stars and it’s sequels Banner of the Stars I-III
Death Billards and Death Parade
Destiny of the Shrine Maiden
Ergo Proxy
From Up on Poppy Hill
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
The Garden of Sinners
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, 2nd Gig, and Solid State Society
Gunslinger Girl
.hack//SIGN
Haibane Renmei
Heaven’s Memo Pad
I’s and I’s Pure
Infinite Ryvius
Interlude
Inu Yasha, The Final Act, and the movies
K and K: Missing Kings
Kannon (2006)
Kemonozume
Kimagure Orange Road and the movies
Koi Kaze
Kurenai
Kurokami
The Legend of Galactic Heroes
Library War and the movie
Maison Ikkoku
The Mobile Suit Gundam Franchise
Monster
Moribito
Myself, Yourself
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Pale Cocoon
Paprika
The Patlabor Franchise
Perfect Blue
The Place Promised in Our Early Days
Planetes
Princess Mononoke
Read or Die and Read or Die TV
Redline
REC
Rideback
Rumbling Hearts
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (aka Star Blazers 2199)
Steins Gate and the movie
Summer Wars
Super Dimension Fortress Macross
Sword of the Stranger
Tenchi Muyo Franchise
Time of Eve
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
The Vision of Escaflowne
Welcome to the NHK
When They Cry and it’s sequel seasons and OVAs
Whisper of the Heart

When I have time, I’ll post some more.