Bandai Visual News (Bandai Entertainment)

[quote=psychopuppet]
Correction most Anime with loudmouth no sense in any part of their body fans are going sub only.:stuck_out_tongue:

It always seems like the most niche shows which do not most of the time have a snowballs chance in hell of selling to justify a dub has the loudest 5 people bitching when it does not get a dub.

Like and their bitching is just like insane reasoning that even a mental patient would find insane.[/quote]

It’s really beginning to bother me. Especially at ANN and AoD. These people don’t understand that these companies need to make MONEY so families can be fed. I don’t care if [insert uber generic moe show here] doesn’t get a dub. It’s probably the time of show that the “fans” would shit on the show’s dub or say it wasn’t as good as the Japanese version. R1 companies need new fans that don’t nag like a woman on her period.

I love the colorful adjectives. :stuck_out_tongue: lol

That is just being picky picking th eone line where I don’t praise the descision, telling me now why and in the future I am fine with sub only, as much as I love Kannagi I know it isn’t going to be that big(look at what happened to Lucky Star, the person who did that worked on Kannagi), so okay, tell me ahead of time sure, I know it has been a while, if I recall it was Otakon last year where Hayate was announced, but little things like that really bother me.

I’m not taking it back I hate when companies lie and believe they should be held to their word, just because the industry is in trouble is no reason to allow lies.

You come back at me saying I would steal Mat Greenfield’s and I will come back and say you would kiss Matt Greenfield’s shoes, it goes like that.

I would love to meet you in real life and have a real debate with you, not one where we can both hide in the internet but one face to face where we would really have to support our ideas.

We are never going to agree on this and I don’t think we can unless if the industry fixes itself, something it has started to do, look at Eden of the East, it finished last month and got licensed, now that was unheard of just a year and a half ago. Anime is working on fixing itself and the ball is now in our “fans” court, we have to do some things but that doesn’t mean the industry is allowed to be let off of stuff.

How is a sub only release any different than what Funi is doing with Shin Chan?

What is Funi doing with Shin Chan?

[quote=mitamaking]
How is a sub only release any different than what Funi is doing with Shin Chan?[/quote]

Funi would have had to pay extra for many of the Japanese language tracks. Shin Chan has a lot of guest/famous VA’s that would have to been paid extra for the use of those tracks. Also the video is altered with Shin Chan, so the Japanese version wouldn’t have matched up anyway.

[quote=blakdragon7]

[quote=mitamaking]
How is a sub only release any different than what Funi is doing with Shin Chan?[/quote]

Funi would have had to pay extra for many of the Japanese language tracks. Shin Chan has a lot of guest/famous VA’s that would have to been paid extra for the use of those tracks. Also the video is altered with Shin Chan, so the Japanese version wouldn’t have matched up anyway.[/quote]

Actually it’s even a bit more than that. Not only did they go “Ghost Stories” with the dub, but they also altered the order of the episodes. I enjoy Shin Chan, but like Ghost Stories, I would have liked to see the original version as well.

Well at least with Ghost Stories ADV did include accurate subtitle’s and Japanese audio on top of the spiced dub and dubtitle one.

A lot of the time there is a difference between dub only and sub only. Most of the time when its dub only its a edited track for kids or spiced up in Shin Chan’s case one of the few times this did not happen is with Mobile Suit Gundam and part of that was from what has been said the Japanese side was afraid of reverse importation. Streamline Pictures if I remember right had dub only releases but I can not remember the reasoning behind them right now. Sub only tracks you at least get the show for a fair price (most of the time) and don’t have to pay Japanese prices and import cost for a releases with no subtitles most of the time. Plus your still for the most part supporting what you are a fan of. Or supposedly a fan of.:stuck_out_tongue:

Bandai if I remember right said from the start Hayate getting a dub really depended on a TV deal which they did not get obviously so no dub. This was mention at the con they first announced it at. (Wiki does not mean its a fact) The live blog is gone it seems so no I can not provide a link. So saying they lied really has little fact behind it. Now I will say I think the price is a little much but if you shop around and at least have a free checking account with a free debit card you can get a reasonable deal online. From what I’ve been hearing lately its actually more secure online then using it in a retail store as the machines they use don’t really have a tightly secured encryption set up least its less then most online encryption.

Fan’s really got to stop thinking my show is the greatest show ever and it will get a dub. If not I will not support something I watched illegal in the first place because I have already seen it subbed. If you like something you support it simple fact simple plan. When I buy something I am buying mainly for the show not for a dub. A English sub on the other hand is required as I can’t understand or speak Japanese.

Best thing to do is this we are going back to the 90’s in some ways except better pricing , more episodes , and more sub only releases. And for now if Funimaton did not pick it up then they must have felt it was not worth them dubbing or the Japanese side wanted to much. See that is the one thing I keep laughing at when people said they should have let Funimation have it so they could get a dub. Funimation is only going to pick up shows they feel will make them a profit even after dubbing.

But you don’t understand PP. [Insert worthless flavor of the month show] needs to be dubbed in English so I can say how worthless the dub is compared to the godly Japanese seiyuu…SUPER KAWAIII!!!

[quote=mitamaking]
I’m not taking it back I hate when companies lie and believe they should be held to their word, just because the industry is in trouble is no reason to allow lies.

We are never going to agree on this and I don’t think we can unless if the industry fixes itself, something it has started to do, look at Eden of the East, it finished last month and got licensed, now that was unheard of just a year and a half ago. Anime is working on fixing itself and the ball is now in our “fans” court, we have to do some things but that doesn’t mean the industry is allowed to be let off of stuff.[/quote]

And no one is letting them off the hook, here or in other sites. Notice how almost no one is praising Bandai for that change of strategy with the content production, other than the unique method of announcement and how fast they are working to react to the market. However, lies isn’t the correct term many of us would use. It’s far too simplistic, and black and white. The real world operates in many shades of grey. So my and other long time anime fans who are and have been supporting the industry’s view is… Bandai talked about what they were doing at the time, plans change, situations change. The point is they are not swearing an oath here or writing a Bible. Fans have been unrelenting in their demand to find out every single granule of information… so companies like Bandai clue them in on what their plans are. The shit hit the fan and Bandai had to readjust. It’s as simple as that.

Fans can’t have their cake and eat it too. They want up to the minute information about everything, they get it; but when things change they only want to know about it when it’s official and certain and… the only way for that is when it is Out the door. So they only want it when it suits their needs? Can’t have it both ways, fans are not singular entities, some just want to know what’s going on, while some build expectations…

Again, no one is suggesting to praise Bandai about it, no one has. But the difference between accepting the new reality of the economy and the industry vs crying and complaining about it (But mommy you promised me a Christmas gift WAAAAAAAAAAAH. I don’t care you lost your job and are broke, you promised!!!) about those evil companies is a huge difference of philosophical ideas between not only you and I here, but it is also the topic of contention that has been raging in the Anime community for a while now.

All this hoopla does only one thing, regardless of what you or I think… It makes companies shut up and not tell us what’s going on anymore. This is fact. This is why Bandai released Kannagi the way it did… no lead in, no room for fans to expect, or complain. So now lots of titles we want will be in long limbo status until it’s nearly out the door. Kannagi is an example now where companies not talking to us about anything is now successful, vs Hayate which built fan expectations only for people constantly complain about it. The future means less and less information for us, especially since if you compare the reaction between this and Hayate… keeping quiet worked.

As for your last part, that’s not really indicative of fixing itself. While it’s a good step in expediting the problem gap, it’s also indicative of the market being so bad that the Japanese are desperate… Besides these fast announcements are possible because it’s going to take a long time to eventually be released here, in 010. Unheard of? No, but it is rare - not as much nowadays though (the gap will continue to shrink, especially due to sub-only releases with production being a lot faster without dubs). ADV licensed and released WOWOW/Production IG’s Le Chevalier D’Eon while it was still near beginning and airing in Japan - P IG works faster in bridging the licensing gap than some companies. :wink: It’s not a paradigm shift, not yet.

[quote=dragoon]

[quote=mitamaking]

We are never going to agree on this and I don’t think we can unless if the industry fixes itself, something it has started to do, look at Eden of the East, it finished last month and got licensed, now that was unheard of just a year and a half ago. Anime is working on fixing itself and the ball is now in our “fans” court, we have to do some things but that doesn’t mean the industry is allowed to be let off of stuff.[/quote]

[details=collapsing great wall of text]And no one is letting them off the hook, here or in other sites. Notice how almost no one is praising Bandai for that change of strategy with the content production, other than the unique method of announcement and how fast they are working to react to the market. However, lies isn’t the correct term many of us would use. It’s far too simplistic, and black and white. The real world operates in many shades of grey. So my and other long time anime fans who are and have been supporting the industry’s view is… Bandai talked about what they were doing at the time, plans change, situations change. The point is they are not swearing an oath here or writing a Bible. Fans have been unrelenting in their demand to find out every single granule of information… so companies like Bandai clue them in on what their plans are. The shit hit the fan and Bandai had to readjust. It’s as simple as that.

Fans can’t have their cake and eat it too. They want up to the minute information about everything, they get it; but when things change they only want to know about it when it’s official and certain and… the only way for that is when it is Out the door. So they only want it when it suits their needs? Can’t have it both ways, fans are not singular entities, some just want to know what’s going on, while some build expectations…

Again, no one is suggesting to praise Bandai about it, no one has. But the difference between accepting the new reality of the economy and the industry vs crying and complaining about it (But mommy you promised me a Christmas gift WAAAAAAAAAAAH. I don’t care you lost your job and are broke, you promised!!!) about those evil companies is a huge difference of philosophical ideas between not only you and I here, but it is also the topic of contention that has been raging in the Anime community for a while now.

All this hoopla does only one thing, regardless of what you or I think… It makes companies shut up and not tell us what’s going on anymore. This is fact. This is why Bandai released Kannagi the way it did… no lead in, no room for fans to expect, or complain. So now lots of titles we want will be in long limbo status until it’s nearly out the door. Kannagi is an example now where companies not talking to us about anything is now successful, vs Hayate which built fan expectations only for people constantly complain about it. The future means less and less information for us, especially since if you compare the reaction between this and Hayate… keeping quiet worked.

As for your last part, that’s not really indicative of fixing itself. While it’s a good step in expediting the problem gap, it’s also indicative of the market being so bad that the Japanese are desperate… Besides these fast announcements are possible because it’s going to take a long time to eventually be released here, in 010. Unheard of? No, but it is rare - not as much nowadays though (the gap will continue to shrink, especially due to sub-only releases with production being a lot faster without dubs). ADV licensed and released WOWOW/Production IG’s Le Chevalier D’Eon while it was still near beginning and airing in Japan - P IG works faster in bridging the licensing gap than some companies. :wink: It’s not a paradigm shift, not yet.[/details][/quote]

That line about the kid is really going to bug me because it is pretty appropiate.

As for the fact that Jaopanese getting desperate is bad, why, it is a sad truth…

The better something is for the customers the worse it is for the company. Lower prices are good for customers bad for the companies.

I believe the gap is really the biggest thing the industry had to fix, they have and in about 5 years that will really benefit them, they may have lost this group of fans, but the next group will just choose the legal alternative because it will be easier to find, especially if all the groups link to it from their sites and have front page stuff on youtube, like they do now.

Too many “fans” are whiny b*tches who only want things done their way and they’re too dumb to understand that if they can’t compromise, they’ll have nothing whatsoever to buy at all, except leftover Yu-Gi-Oh DVDs.

I tend to prefer dubs but take no issue with subs and have even bought a few. Even though I understand little Japanese, I like listening to people speak it.

[quote=rebecca12]
Too many “fans” are whiny b*tches who only want things done their way and they’re too dumb to understand that if they can’t compromise, they’ll have nothing whatsoever to buy at all, except leftover Yu-Gi-Oh DVDs.

I tend to prefer dubs but take no issue with subs and have even bought a few. Even though I understand little Japanese, I like listening to people speak it.[/quote]

Most will never get it.

I was thinking about getting Gundam 00, but well they sale both Dub and sub in one package?

Gundam 00 DVD’s have both.

Thank you

[quote=blakdragon7]

[quote=rebecca12]

I tend to prefer dubs but take no issue with subs and have even bought a few. Even though I understand little Japanese, I like listening to people speak it.[/quote]

Most will never get it.[/quote]

Sadly true. :frowning:

And yet they persist to hang around, ruining the industry and in turn ruining future potential for benefiting the greater good of anime fans and consumers. The worst of the lot are the ones who support mostly illegal distribution but then turn around saying they’ll only buy when certain, sometimes impossible conditions are met. It’s their way or the highway type mentality, forcing the market equity between consumer products and illegal/free.

To paraphrase someone on another forum, hopefully Anime gets ruined bad enough that they decide to find another hobby – perhaps more in-tune with their destructive behavior – once they hit nirvana by getting their favorite show DUBBED no matter what the cost, or hearing their favorite seiyu (SO KAWAII BTW ^___________^) from japan thanks to their OH-SO-LEGAL behavior patters (of which they then turn around and demand the impossible when they screw the system in the first place, as if they are consumers with have any vocal rights); then just maybe they will lose interest and explore their secondary hobbies, like… bashing their brains out against a wall, since they want to exterminate that one last brain cell they had in the first place.

/end sarcasm???

OH! That was sarcasm?? :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe except the KAWAII part or the sarcastic and intentional use of the word. :wink:

[quote=dragoon]

[quote=blakdragon7]

[quote=rebecca12]

Most will never get it.[/quote]

Sadly true. :frowning:

And yet they persist to hang around, ruining the industry and in turn ruining future potential for benefiting the greater good of anime fans and consumers. The worst of the lot are the ones who support mostly illegal distribution but then turn around saying they’ll only buy when certain, sometimes impossible conditions are met. It’s their way or the highway type mentality, forcing the market equity between consumer products and illegal/free.

To paraphrase someone on another forum, hopefully Anime gets ruined bad enough that they decide to find another hobby – perhaps more in-tune with their destructive behavior – once they hit nirvana by getting their favorite show DUBBED no matter what the cost, or hearing their favorite seiyu (SO KAWAII BTW ^___________^) from japan thanks to their OH-SO-LEGAL behavior patters (of which they then turn around and demand the impossible when they screw the system in the first place, as if they are consumers with have any vocal rights); then just maybe they will lose interest and explore their secondary hobbies, like… bashing their brains out against a wall, since they want to exterminate that one last brain cell they had in the first place.

/end sarcasm???[/quote]

All that needs to happen is more Seinen shows made. That will scare off the useless, smelly, good for nothing kawaii fans. Throw the seinen shows on SpikeTV and watch the money pile in.

IMO, the U.S. television market runs in cycles. There are periods in which networks will buy up a lot of programming from overseas, reach a saturation point after a few years, and then will shut the door on any imports for awhile before the whole cycle starts over again.

In the meantime, though, anime companies (and distributors) will have to turn to alternative methods to get their product out there and online and video on demand has been pretty much a godsend for them. As much as I prefer dubs over subs–don’t get me wrong, I like subs too–it really isn’t prudent for companies to produce dubs for a market that really can’t support them right now. With Cartoon Network limiting itself to a handful of shows, Adult Swim continually locking up their schedule with shows that last an entire year or more, and other TV outlets staying away from anime with a ten-foot beam saber, I think dubs are pretty only for a series with a guaranteed TV deal in the States.

Fortunately for dub fans, there are a lot of dubbed shows floating out there in the ether and it’s really just a point of discovering them. Heck, my favorite show–VanDread–I discovered by finding a few volumes in the marked-down DVD bin at a local Value City store…