Funimation News

Multiple threads have been merged to create this thread

This is the Funimation News thread.

(This includes the Broadcast Dubs news.)

Effective April 2, 2015

Only post article/news/notes about Funimation industry OR about anime that doesn’t already have an existing thread.

Anything posted here that already has an existing thread will either be moved to that thread or deleted. NO EXCEPTIONS.

✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰

Funimation Entertainment’s own Funimation Channel has reached new distributing deals with the nation’s #1 cable operator Comcast and #2 satellite provider Dish Network.

Starting May 1, 2009 Comcast will carry Funimation Channel in a Free VOD/Events VOD setup (similar to TAN). The free content will be under “The Cutting Edge” while the PPV stuff will be under “Movies and Events”.

Dish Network will also carry the Events/PPV version as well. (Dish Network is also carrying TAN, there is a new Dish Network schedule up).

AT&T will also carry Funimation Channel but details will be released at a later date.

Verizon FiOS will add the Free VOD lineup in addition to carrying the 24/7 service.

On their programming front a new title for the channel will be Devil May Cry. DMC is the first former ADV/Sojitz title to be added to their channel.

I wonder if this means I’ll be able to watch Nana, Honey and Clover (and most importantly) Monster on their VOD channel. I sure hope so. I would much rather watch something on my Big Screen TV then my computer screen. With the now lack of CPM titles, and no more Funi stuff on Anime Selects what will they play there?

Maybe they’ll start playing stuff from the other companies still around: Bandai, Manga, Animeigo, Anime Works…maybe…I don’t know.?

What they need to do is have a hentai anime vod…now there’s something to see.

COME ON BRIGHTHOUSE DONT LET COMCAST BEAT YOU!!!

1 Like

And this is important to us because… ?

Funimation on Demand has been playing on Comcast for a few months now. Though it had previously been located on their Anime Selects service. I wonder if this will be in addition to Anime Selects, or if it will be replacing it. The only non-Funi show playing on it recently was Piano and Escaflowne.

[quote=dragonrider_cody]
Funimation on Demand has been playing on Comcast for a few months now. Though it had previously been located on their Anime Selects service. I wonder if this will be in addition to Anime Selects, or if it will be replacing it. The only non-Funi show playing on it recently was Piano and Escaflowne.[/quote]

Yeah they got their own channel now, it’s separate from the Comcast Anime Selects Channel. This way they have way more content. They are starting to compete with Anime Network now me thinks. Anyway I sure hope they put Monster up there, when they play it on their linear channel. I’m dying to see that!!

Also Comcast’s Anime Selects VOD channel has been playing these non-funi titles: Shingu, Piano, Vampire Princess Miyu, GTO, Marmalade Boy, Gundam, and Real Bout High School (at least where I live). No Escaflowne though. So…

Funimation Channel VOD

Movies: $2.99 - Origin, Tsubasa

Anime: $0.99 per ep.- Devil May Cry, Kenichi
or free - Ouran High School, Black Blood Brothers.

And there it is.

The Anime Selects line up must vary depending on the market. I did forget about Marmalade Boy, but the only other non-funi shows they are playing in my area are Escaflowne and Piano. Though Vampire Princess did play a few weeks back. Though i never got to watch it, as they started with episode three for some reason.

So I guess this means Comcast subscribers get three anime channels now. I’m cool with that. I do hate the fact the Funimation’s VOD service only has older shows. At least TAN airs newer stuff, even if at $3.99 a volume (usually 3-4 eps), like Princess Resurrection and Clannad. I believe DMC is their newest offering, and it’s over a year old at this point.

As for the Viz shows, I imagine those will be pay per view. If they do air on the free service, I imagine it will be months down the line.

I have a lot of new shows, although I have no movies (unless they are in the events section, I didn’t check there). In fact I have a wide range of shows to pick from, most of it’s free to, and a lot of it’s new stuff. One reason Anime Network’s anime is newer is because they are sub only, while all of Funimation’s stuff is dubbed. I’d much rather a little older and dubbed, then subbed any day of the week.

Funimation Channel Shows:

Devil May Cry (2007) - Episode 1 Free - Episode 2-4 ($0.99 each)
Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple (2007) - Episode 1 Free - Episode 2-4 ($0.99 each)
D.Gray Man (2006) - Episode 1 Free - Episode 2-4 ($0.99 each)
Ouran High School Host Club (2006) - Episodes 1-5 Free
Black Blood Brothers (2006) - Episode 1-5 Free
Case Closed (1996) - Episodes 1-3 Free
Peach Girl (2005) - Episodes 1-2 Free
Aquarion (2005) - Episode 1-2 Free
Jyo-oh-Sei (2006) - Episodes 1-2 Free
Mushi-shi (2006) - Episodes 1-2 Free

Yup, the movies are in the events/movies section. And on my setup, its right next to AN’s pay to see thingy.

I hope Bright House brings this on board. The more anime the better!

[quote=Slowhand]
And this is important to us because… ?[/quote]

It’s about other anime lol :silly: I never said it was important B)

Something I noticed flipping through it the other day that struck me as interesting. Funi stuck PPV episodes in with the free episodes, so if you’re not careful, you could end up paying for something you didn’t mean to.

Though you should get a warning before you buy it. But my cable box has a habit of sticking, and it makes it pretty easy to hit enter to many times. Oh well…

[quote=dragonrider_cody]
Something I noticed flipping through it the other day that struck me as interesting. Funi stuck PPV episodes in with the free episodes, so if you’re not careful, you could end up paying for something you didn’t mean to.

Though you should get a warning before you buy it. But my cable box has a habit of sticking, and it makes it pretty easy to hit enter to many times. Oh well…[/quote]

Yeah I noticed that too. I feel like I may click on one of the Pay-per-view episodes by accident one day. I really don’t like the way that’s set up. I hope I don’t screw up and buy an episode or something by accident lol.

I hope that soon Funimation channel in one way or another on cablevision. It’s one of the few it’s not on now.

TWC didn’t get it? Jerks.

[quote=ZakuAce]
TWC didn’t get it? Jerks.[/quote]

If it helps it’s not really all that great right now you can get most of the series they charge for on it for the same price as what the DVD’s would cost during a sale. At least with the DVD’s they are yours forever.

Anime Network does it right IMO in making bundles for a fee of $3.99 to $4.99.

I am not sure I see many people paying for these. Well maybe by accident.:wink:

What they have for free is ok but I don’t see a lot of them as watch more then once so Funimation may be looking at a loss if people are like most I know and won’t buy after watching.
This is the same problem ADV/TAN and all the digital services face.
Will people buy after they more or less see it for free?

Some area’s it did not even go up in full.
Also it’s replacing the Anime Select VOD for us which I’d rather have since we get shows from multiple studio’s and not just one.

^ I wanted to buy a lot of stuff, after seeing it entirely on VOD, so I wouldn’t say that. Having seen all of the movie A Wind Named Amnesia on VOD I still wanted to buy it, or all of Hell Girl for example (just shows that popped into my mind).

The way TAN does it, giving you the show with no extras and some of the little normal DVD features deleted, helps me to want to buy the DVDs once I see them, epecially if there’s nice extras. The only things I’ve bought cold recently from Funi were Black Lagoon season 1 and Negima! collections, but I would just as likely have gotten them if they’d been shown on a free VOD first. Black Lagoon is so good I may just buy the second season at full price somewhere, it blew me away.