Bodacious Space Pirates / Mōretsu Pirates

Considering the license was announced with a DVD and Blu-Ray release, it’s getting a dub.

Oh wait, I missed that it was already slated for a bluray. Had I seen that, I would have had no doubt for the dub because of the “Sentai rule”. Thanks for the heads up.

So any guesses on the cast? :wink:

And since I saw this posted by someone else on another board, here’s the official OP PV.

Um… Wow… just Wow! :woohoo:

Ugh…that was so… :S

That was kind of disturbing. I’ve seen all 9 episodes (only because I didn’t realize that Sentai was already slated to dub it) and I’ve been skipping the theme song each time. This longer version wasn’t much better.

Why are there bicycles in space? Why are they “singing” in front of a gazebo on the moon?

To think that the guitarist that they, for some reason, brought in for this song (Marty Friedman) quit the metal band Megadeth because they weren’t “heavy” or “metal” enough. Somehow this song makes me question that explanation.

The show is good, but I’m with you on this long version opening song video. Skipping in 1, 2, 3…

Mark Gosdin

The opposite of bad is, obviously, good, yet while I wouldn’t say that the show is bad I can’t bring myself to say that it is good either.

I was hoping that this show would be like everyone says Magica was, a show that starts off all cute and stereotypical but then suddenly becomes a genre-breaking classic. Sadly the show hasn’t managed to break away from its k-on esque moe roots. The show almost acknowledges this as all of their “pirating cruises”, thus far, are barely a day away from the main character’s school and all her moe companions. Just as Marika can’t break away from her moe academy neither can the show break away from lame cliches. Even if it does, it will still be hampered by the illogical happenings and painfully thin explanations. Not to mention the awful cg.

I’m hoping that this will be like My-Otome and radically shift at the halfway point, but I’m not holding my breath (though the main char in that show is similar to the main character here).

If the series doesn’t turn itself around, the dubbers at Sentai will…I hope.
B)

Episode 04 is now LIVE on ANO

Why is TAN so far behind Crunchyroll on this show?

Not 100% sure but guessing part of a deal they have . It’s basically a 1 month lead on most of the shows. It’s been that way for the last few shows. If it’s part of a deal I hope this time around they keep something for the subscribers here.

What would they keep for subscribers? “I gots to know.”

Now that it has been a month or so, I wish TAN would jump up to the current EP. I thought the rumor on the internets was that Sentai and Crunchyroll had some sort of alliance against the Funico cartel. I think they’d have to have some sort of arrangement to be able to also stream Bodacious Space Pirates, but then again if Sentai were to stream the exact same stuff it could hurt crunchy, which wouldn’t be cool to do to a partner.

It doesn’t matter much to me, I was just curious. I’m also a paid member over at crunchyroll so it’s not hard if I want to stay current. Now that I hear that Sentai is already committed to dubbing it, so I don’t need to stream it or buy a subbed DVD (clannad, blue drop) to inspire them to do that I don’t really have a need to be current. What really matters is whether or not the show turns out to be awesome, and how long it takes for Sentai to get it out dubbed.

Maybe I can check out this persona show, since I didn’t see it back when it was on crunchy.

Persona 4 was never on CrunchyRoll.
It was one of the 2 Fall 2011 TAN exclusives.
The other, being Phi-Brain ~ Kami No Puzzle.

Huh, then I stand corrected. Thanks. I was misinformed then.

I didn’t watch the puzzle thing either, as you could guess. So many shows are streaming on so many different things that it is hard to keep track of what’s where, at least for me. TAN, crunchyroll, funico, hulu…

I’m loving the soundtrack for this!
Especially the Celtic-y/Pirate-y track they have used the past 2 episodes (3-4).

This now makes me hope, since Sentai accomplished the inclusion of the OST for IS, that they made a deal to include this OST in the release.

I mean to me, since I’m so music driven, for the most part the OSTs make the series.
And the IS OST really isn’t anything special to me, it was just there.

With BSP OST though, I’m just loving it!

It’s such a rare occation these days that OSTs get released in R1 land, which is probably the thing I miss most about the exit of Geneon, I don’t really expect we’ll see the BSP OST… but I can hope!

Part of me thinks that the “Celtic” music is included because the Japanese think it sounds “pirate-like”, but I do agree that this soundtrack is more notable than that of most shows. Mercifully the in-show music is not in the vein of the heinous opening theme, though once I realized that they’d recruited a kinda renown guitarist for the opening I was disappointed that the show’s soundtrack isn’t very guitar driven :frowning:

I’ve been watching Ghost Hound and the credits for the first few eps list a guitarist for the in-show guitar playing. Something more shows could stand to do IMO.

You know, I’d forgotten that companies used to release anime soundtracks here, but looking at my collection I have the soundtracks for: Witch Hunter Robin, Vandread, Texnolyze, and Ergo Proxy. The last 2 even came in a cool Geneon combo pack, and the Robin one came with a shirt and a Robin Cena branded shot glass which has held many a bottle :wink:

Glad that Sentai is bringing extras back. This makes me want to stream IS when the dub comes out here. The show doesn’t seem like it’d appeal to me, but I’ll try it out. If any company can make a harem show worthwhile for me, it’s Sentai. Maybe they can even make the illogical plot of Bodacious Pirates make sense. Or maybe they can, knowing that the show doesn’t make any sense, give it a tongue-in-cheek style dub like they did for Orphen or Golgo 13.

Episode 05 is now LIVE on ANO

I am quite enjoying this show-whats not to like action, space, pirates who happen to be cute girls :woohoo:

Arbitrary colorful screens flashing and a ton of button pressing instead of a real explanation for “electronic warfare”.

Pirates who don’t really pirate? Pirates that don’t seem to serve a purpose (The intro explains that the pirates existed for a purpose that died out a long while ago)?

Having to limit their “pirating” so that the main character can still attend school?

Negotiating with a stowaway, hiding that stowaway from the authorities, and embarking on a perilous quest for said stowaway, all for free?

Oh, and awful CG. I’m convinced that Japanese CG stopped advancing around 2000. The CG in modern shows looks just like the CG in Vandread which came out 12 years ago now.

Just to ramble off a few things :silly: B)

I saw the first episode. It was quite good. can’t wait for the dub