Books You've Recently Read

Another oldie but goodie thread.

Six of One by Rita Mae Brown.

Recently read Monster Island by David Wellington, since I was in the need for a zombie fix. You can actually read it all online on the author’s site, but I thought I’d spend the money and support him.

Wasn’t as good as I thought it would be. His writing is a bit weak–reminds me too much of my own style. Plus things got way too fantastical towards the end. :frowning: Oh well, I can read World War Z next.

Hentai, read Christopher Moore. If you hate his stuff I’ll buy you a new car. Not really but you get my drift.

This one hadn’t been brought back yet? For shame! I’m still reading the book I stated about two years ago, can you believe that? Need some more devotion there:( I was looking for a book I started a while back called Theory of Chaos last week, it’s floating around my room somewhere and I’ve only got a few chapters left in it.

I’ve got Island of the Sequined Love Nun, but haven’t read it yet. Any particular suggestions?

Hentai wrote:

Yeah well I have all of his stuff. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it. But seriously, that one in particular is not my favorite. I highly suggest A Dirty Job and if you like Shakespeare, Fool.

I’m reading Heirs of Empire by David Weber right now

PretearHimeno wrote:

I’ll check out A Dirty Job and maybe Fool. I wouldn’t say that I hate Shakespeare as a comedian, but Shakespeare as a writer (syntax sux).

[quote]Hentai wrote:
I’ll check out A Dirty Job and maybe Fool. I wouldn’t say that I hate Shakespeare as a comedian, but Shakespeare as a writer (syntax sux).[/quote]

Yes! Tell me if you like it/them (you so will). It is truly hilarious and wonderful stuff. More karma for you!

I shall report back!! Though should I not bother with the book I already have, or at least save it for after I’ve read the other two?

1 Like

Save it until after. You should read his better stuff first.

Where to start?

Ender’s game; Speaker for the Dead; Xenocide; Children of the Mind (Orson Scott Card)
Dune (Frank Herbert)
Good Omen’s (Niel Gaiman/Terry Pratchett)

Reading 1984 by George Orwell right now, then I’ll be reading The Andromeda… something by Michael Crichton. About 100 pages into 1984 right now and I’m loving it so far. Now I know why this book is so critically acclaimed.

The Crichton book I picked up was kind of a random buy, I’ve only read one book by him, The Sphere, and I loved that book. Was thinking about getting either Jurassic Park or the Lost World, and decided against it. I’m not too much of a fan of getting two or more books by the same author at a time, that way I don’t get bored of someone’s writing style too fast.

Well, I’m pretty sure that’s about it, I keep thinking there was something else I read that I can’t remember, but I’m also doubting this… hm.

Still reading Laurens Van Der Post’s A Story like the Wind, its a good book and is an interesting insight into what my South Africa relatives lives would have been like. Its just not the most interesting use of language, the punctuation is different than I’m used to and its a bit dry. I am enjoying it though, however slowly I’m going through it.

Andromeda…Strain? Good stuff, man.

fillet wrote:

Yep, that’s the one. Have you read it/any good?

Negative, haven’t read it myself, but Crichton does fantastic work and that storyline alone is worth checking out.

Haven’t read anything recently, but ‘Dexter By Design’ is coming out in the States next month! I’ll have to frequent the library and keep an eye out for it. :kiss:
Can’t put holds on new books. :<

Hmm, I honestly know nothing about the story line, my thought process when buying it was: huh, I liked the one and only book I’ve read by him that was just handed to me by my old roommate, and it’s not Jurassic Park, so it’s not going to have some crazy type of deja vu feeling when reading it. Also, The Sphere, the book I have read, was something I didn’t know anything about before reading it either, other than there being a movie based off of it, and I ended up really enjoying the book and would definitely recommend it to others.

sweetkeith wrote:

At some point in the future, you should try Jurassic Park. It was an excellent read and so much better than the movie. The ending will surprise you!

Might reread The Time Traveler’s Wife. It’s been a while and the trailers for the (probably not as good) movie version have me missing it.