Books You've Recently Read

Currently reading Warday by Whitley Strieber & James Kunetka for the umpteenth time. One of my favorite stories.

I also love anything by Clive Cussler, especially the Dirk Pitt stuff.

Reading Blashphemy by Douglas Preston.
Ahh, nothing better than a science vs. religion novel to stir up the juices.
Tasty

Well, I read the Harry Potter series in about two weeks. The books get a lot more complex and dark during the last three books, and the series overall is much more mature than the media lets on. Particularly the last one, there were some really powerful moments in that book.

Hentai wrote:

It took me forever to get through Order of the Phoenix!! Too thick. But, you’re right, they are getting steadily darker and complex. And they are very mature. I was very surpised when I read the first one. In fact, I used to see more adults than kids reading it. I even know some people that would not let their younger children read them. The movies seem to be a little lighter - guess they did that for the younger audience.

Now I just have to read the rest of them! :slight_smile:

LadyOfWicca wrote:

[quote]
It took me forever to get through Order of the Phoenix!! Too thick. But, you’re right, they are getting steadily darker and complex. And they are very mature. I was very surpised when I read the first one. In fact, I used to see more adults than kids reading it. I even know some people that would not let their younger children read them. The movies seem to be a little lighter - guess they did that for the younger audience.

Now I just have to read the rest of them! :)[/quote]

Order of the Phoenix was a really long book, probably took up most of the time I spent reading. My gf and I are watching the movie now since she’s really into the franchise right now, and it’s so weird how much they had to hack out of the book in order to make a 2-hour movie. I’ve also heard, though, that the Deathly Hollows movie will be split up into two parts, which will help it retain a lot of its original content.

And YES, you have to read the rest. The 6th book is my favorite for sure. I won’t spoil anything, but the 7th book is a lot different than the previous 6, so I didn’t think I would like it at first. However, speed picks up really quickly half-way through the book, though that’s not to say the first half isn’t entertaining.

Harry Potter is definitely a series that grew up with it’s starting audience. I remember starting the books sometime between the second and third book. I slightly remember hearing hype about the second book after her came out, and I remember reserving the third book and reading it just after school started or sometime similar (most the books came out during summer breaks). Back on topic, the books started out for little kids and kept that little kid feel while at least maintaining a good balance with drama. As I grew up though, I noticed that the later books grew darker and more mature as well, and why not? the kids were getting older with more complex issues too. I agree with Hentai in that they started getting darker around the 5th book forward, and we even share our favorite book in the series.

The movies are probably more light-hearted, but I haven’t seen the 6th yet. Can’t really provide an well educated opinion on that yet. It’s Hollywood though, I wouldn’t put it past them.

Hentai wrote:

[quote]Order of the Phoenix was a really long book, probably took up most of the time I spent reading. My gf and I are watching the movie now since she’s really into the franchise right now, and it’s so weird how much they had to hack out of the book in order to make a 2-hour movie. I’ve also heard, though, that the Deathly Hollows movie will be split up into two parts, which will help it retain a lot of its original content.

And YES, you have to read the rest. The 6th book is my favorite for sure. I won’t spoil anything, but the 7th book is a lot different than the previous 6, so I didn’t think I would like it at first. However, speed picks up really quickly half-way through the book, though that’s not to say the first half isn’t entertaining.[/quote]

I promise to as soon as I can! Although, a friend spilled the beans and I already know who ends up with who at the end. But stuff like that doesn’t bother me. It’s the journey as they say. Also pleased to hear about the 2-part movie. I really hate when they chop up a good story to fit a 2 hour movie. (That’s why I rarely watch movies!)

I just have a few other books I have to read first.

I don’t like the Harry Potter books and movies its all a bit clichĂ©, I like Terry Pratchetts (May have spelt his name wrong can’t be bothered to check) Disc World series, it maybe a bit clichĂ© but its clever, funny, knowing and unique. With an entire world of colourful characters and stories. I don’t really get why so many people like Harry Potter.

Fenknight wrote:

What you mean everyone in the UK aren’t wizards, witches, warlocks and what-have-you? :woohoo:

I wonder though, is Harry Potter popular in England as well? Or is it just a North America thing?

Hey guys, they might have to edit out some content for the HP movies not to be 5 hours long, but what they do is seamless compared to wtf they did with Twilight -vomits in the corner-. I actually enjoy both books and movies in the case of HP.

PretearHimeno wrote:

You don’t like sparkly vampires?

Eightdevil+ wrote:

Insanely popular over here too. Both with adults and kids.

Bookwise, I’ve been alternating between Alastair Reynolds (sci fi) and Ian Rankin (murder mystery).

Reading a good fiction now called “Scalpdancers” by Kerry Newcomb. Set in the early 19th century, in the Pacific Northwest frontier.

Recently re-read the first two of the “Ashes” series by William W. Johnstone, Out Of The Ashes and Fire In The Ashes. A semi-impossible series of post-apocalyptic war novels that runs about 25-30 books. I say semi-impossible because while mostly gritty, realistic and detailed, there are some events and things that stretch credulity, just the fact that the main character lives through so much and stays sane being one thing.

Johnstone died partway through writing the next to last in the series, though - a family member picked up and ghostwrote the rest, and a final volume, then a first novel to a spinoff series - but they stink out loud, the series should have just died with Johnstone.

The final volume is just a poorly written excuse to try to transition you to the spinoff series, and end this series, I don’t think anyone who read it liked it from the reviews I found. But as long as you stop before the last couple, it’s entertaining enough.

Re-reading “A Dirty Job” by Christopher Moore. So. Good.

Now I’m re-reading Blood Sucking Fiends by Christopher Moore. The man’s a freaking poet. ;_;

Look at you Pretear. I’m mixed between thinking the man’s either an incredible writer or you’re just obsessed. Either way, you should send me “A Dirty Job” so that I can finally read it, damn it. Checked Borders yesterday and still no luck. May just order it online.

Finished I Am Legend. The ending doesn’t settle well with the meek like me. Very good book regardless.

Just read BSF for now. It’s just as awesome. Scout’s honor.

Now onto You Suck. The sequel to BSF.

Is this the Sucki’s snack hour books or something? I have no clue
 even how to spell the title.

Just finished reading Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton, he’s one of those author’s I never really checked probably because of the big titled movie that’s associated with his name. AS was a damn good book, I read that 100 pages at a time. He’s really good at writing a science themed thriller, which include complex ideas that normally would confuse most people, but he can explain them in a way that lets you understand well enough to know if it’s either bad or good without taking away from the writing or plot.

Ordered The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. I’m going in with low expectations, if I see one damned handicapped person.