Books You've Recently Read

Yea I mean I liked the book.
Just I thought it was going to be like really good.
:confused: I only read it cuz the Movie is going to come out soon…
.. I don’t think it is going to be as good as the book anywayz.
Most movies are not anyways…
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road
%28film%29
Viggo Mortensen dose not look the way I thought “The Man” would. <.< Well his hair dose not his face. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
ah Hollywood…:blush:

Finished http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relentless_(2009_novel) by Dean Koontz. It was an interesting suspense thriller.

I’ve read like 3 books since I last posted on here.

American Psycho. Probably one of the slower reads I’ve had in awhile, but I was determined to finish it. It mostly felt like you read through a lot of heavily detailed story development until you get to the parts where’s he’s killing people, which are like the gruesome highlights of the book. The writer does some pretty unimaginable things with this book, but I think it really just boils down the main character who does everything in life the way he is supposed to. The character wears the most expensive clothes, surrounds himself with the most beautiful people, and has his own little business empire. Considering he started his life out wealthy because of his parents, that was how he was bred, and he struggles to find fulfillment in life which leads to his gruesome habits. Once it escalates to the point where he can barely function in his real life and tries to confess to all his bad deeds, no one will even believe them. I especially love the way the writer ends the book, implying that once a fine line is crossed, you can’t go back.

Dune Messiah This book was a little bit more about story development than outright action than the first book. It also felt a lot shorter too. Still very good, being about how Paul has to face his growing prescience, and feels trapped by time itself. You can see how he falls in line to his prescience, almost following a story that’s already been written for him that he has no control over. Also like the added element of Bene Tleilaxu in this book, how they can shapeshift almost to perfection, and can bring people back to life if they have enough of a body leftover with the body’s DNA memory. The price being that the body is just a Ghola with little memory of it’s past, though remnants constantly surface. It always felt kind of heart warming to read the few parts where a romance between Duncan and Alia start budding. Plus you get to see how confusing it is for Alia to even exist, having the fact that she shares memories with her mother up until when Alia was born, so she sees her brother as both a brother and son, and her father as both a father and a lover. Overall a really great book, but falls under the shadow of the first Dune.

Bloodsucking Fiends I read the sequel to this book first, so reading this book felt weird in the fact that I already knew what would happen in most parts. Still fun to see characters like Jody evolve into people like they were in You Suck, how she starts out as a meek and relationship troubled adult, and turns into the strong blood sucking fiend of the night while trying to protect one of the few people that cares and loves her for who she is. The book was silly, just like the sequel, with characters like The Animals, though this book seemed to focus mostly on Simon who is absent from You Suck. So you can see how the author focused more on the rest of the characters in the second book. Overall a light-hearted book about vampires that knows when to be silly and when it needs to take itself seriously.

Shak/Hentai

I read a book review about “The Windup Girl” by Paolo Bacigalupi and thought of you.

Haven’t read it myself, but it just seemed like something one or both of you might like.

Hmmm, that sounds like a good book. I still have four books on my repertoire right now, but that’ll definitely be on my list of new books to get on my next book run.

Reading “Dune” by Frank Herbert.

Reread ‘The Mothman Prophecies’ by John Keel after rewatching Ghost Hound again.
Think I’ll reread ‘Alien Agenda’ by Jim Marrs and then cap it off with ‘Communion’ by Whitley Strieber.
Maybe I’ll get abducted soon afterwards…COOL!!!

PretearHimeno wrote:

How are you liking it so far? It has to be one of my favorites.

Reading Ender’s Shadow right now. This will now be the fifth book I’ve read in the entire Ender universe of things. Really good so far, I love the way Bean has such a dark background.

It’s fine. I haven’t really sunk my teeth into yet. I’m still trying to find my footing with all the unfamiliar terminology. There’s just so much of it! ><

Ya, the first part of the book is a little hard to get into, it’s almost chaotic with as much stuff happening as there is. But once get a hang of everything it’s almost addicting.

reading fragile things by Neil Gaiman

currently reading look me in the eye my life with asperger’s
by John Elder Robison

Star Trek books are often not the greatest, but there is one series I would recommend to everyone here.

Peter David wrote his own series for the Star Trek universe. It is called Star Trek, New Frontier. It is quite different from the style of normal Star Trek, with very dynamic characters and creative stories. Plus, Peter David has an evil twisted mind too, so it makes it even more fun! One book has the absolute best, added on cliff hanger phrase from no where, that I have ever read. And I know he just did it to make the readers wait for his next novels, but it was well worth the wait. First time I ever read a sentence five times going, “What? Where did that, huh, did I misread? WELL WHAT CAUSED THAT? WHAT HAPPENS NEXT? I NEED TO KNOW!”

In conclusion, if you want to read something Star Trek, check out the New Frontier series. I have read it all so far, and it is GREAT!

the book i’m reading is wonderful there is chapter in here i would call poetry…

Second the recommendation for the New Frontiers series. Peter David is the best of the Star Trek novel writers.

Just finished “The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya” light novel by Nagaru Tanigawa. There are some difference between it and the anime so its well worth reading.

Currently in the process of reading the newest book in the Dexter series, Dexter By Design.

ShawnMerrow wrote:

I haven’t read New Frontier, but I would have to agree with that. He wrote Imzadi, which was not the only the first Next Gen hardback, but also one of the best. It’s still one of my favorite books.

Oh I just finished reading the look me in the eye book I have to say it was insightful, gives me hope and despair all at the same time. I hate that

Finished “Mysteries of Magic Book One: The Heart of Magic” by Mark Hall & Kevin Siembieda. It is a nice magic supplement for the Palladium Fantasy RPG.