Brain Drain

Just a well educated consumer.

I am always posting these things from stopthecap.com and other places that are TWC related like that downdetector and such. Does not every consumer take responsibility for their choices and watch the service provider they have services with to make sure they protect themselves as a consumer? With the pending Comcast/Time Warner merger, I would think everyone would have their eyes on both companies?

Maybe just being older means we learned the roles of consumer and business long ago that were twisted by recent businesses when they changed the relationship because people that cannot do without X just keep flocking to throw money away?

So true, but not always in a good way. :frowning:

The fact that this comic exists as a symbol of the way MANY consumer feel about recent events, speaks volumes about what is happening in the world today, not only with internet and such. It is basically a civil war going on that many people are missing and should take more note of.

[insert tip-hat smilie]

Verizon is far from perfect but the shenanigans that the cable ISPs pull make me extremely reluctant to ever get out of the FiOS oasis.

Comcast didn’t get any better after they merged with NBC; how many other media companies can Comcast assimilate before someone throws down a flag? :frowning:

…that comic was rather clever.

In the Japanese version of Frozen, who plays the talking snowman?

At first, I suspected that it was Mitsuo Iwata but I can’t be sure from the clip. Searching hasn’t provided me with a workable cast list. Whoever he is, he’s the best of a bad lot.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/08/26-1/frozen-has-sold-20-million-tickets-in-japan (~0:38)

A few weeks ago, someone at Verizon did something that broke the internet for a bit. The root cause is fixable as the reason it happened, we are VERY much near a point where the issue will come up again for a LEGIT reason.

It was related to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Gateway_Protocol tables being near capacity for IPv4 networks on some big iron routers. The routers in question can be configured to take some IPv6 space and use it for IPv4. The number of entries for the two is very much lopsided right now. Some 510,000 entries for IPv4 (limit on those routers are at 512,000 entries), and some 10,000 for IPv6, with the limit being 256,000… And that’s with the memory used to store it by default divided in half (one IPv6 network entry takes two slots, BTW). The routers can be configured to assign more of the space for IPv4 at the cost of less space for IPv6.

Part of the running out of IPv4 addresses.

Oh yeah, forgot to post this in my last post (too many threads as I never hit this site yesterday…)

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/943161856 Spotty wireless sucks.

Ugh.
So it seems I broke some ribs the other day when I was fixing the dryer exhaust.

Breathing hurts like hell and just sitting here is annoyingly painful.

Looks like I get to live on Tylenol for the next 4-6 weeks.

Man, it sucks getting old.
Putting pressure on my ribs like that never would have broken them when I was younger.

[quote=“miquelfire” post=175746]Oh yeah, forgot to post this in my last post (too many threads as I never hit this site yesterday…)

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/943161856 Spotty wireless sucks.[/quote]

Phone connected to wi-fi router.

Phone disconnected and using 4G.

Here’s my Laptop. lol.

[quote=“The Coffee God” post=175747]Ugh.
So it seems I broke some ribs the other day when I was fixing the dryer exhaust.

Putting pressure on my ribs like that never would have broken them when I was younger.[/quote]

Hope you feel better.

[quote=“miquelfire” post=175766]

[/quote]

Putting pressure on my ribs like that never would have broken them when I was younger.

Hope you feel better.[/quote]

A month and a half of Tylenol? Maybe it might be prudent to seek some more “fun” painkillers (a word that I always hear said in a high pitched scream…rob halford’s legacy lol) by getting medical attention?

I refuse to take prescription pain relief medication of any kind.
Tylenol works just fine for me so I’m all good.

Besides, it’s not like I’m taking it constantly every 8 hours.
I generally just bite the bullet during the day and take a couple before bed so I can at least have some semblance of rest while I sleep.

Putting pressure on my ribs like that never would have broken them when I was younger.[/quote]

I am sorry to hear about that, Coffee. I hope it resolves well with no further problems. :frowning:

Out of curiosity, how come the apartment owner who made you take down the reflective Styrofoam didn’t fix the dryer vent?

Being the apartment manager, simplistic things like that fall under my “responsibility” list.
The owner doesn’t like spending money for a handyman if it’s something like that and there really isn’t a need to either.

All it took was pulling the dryer duct out to the screened off ventilation window of the laundry room, so it wasn’t exhausting deep in the wall like it was, with the duct going down into the wall, between the laundry room and the ground outside (our laundry room is in the basement under the building).

-edit-
For photo reference, this is what it looks like.
I was laying on the ground with my ribs on the inside concrete edge (circled) reaching inside the alcove (arrow), when I felt a crack in my ribs, right where it was pressing on the concrete edge.

[quote=“The Coffee God” post=175775]I refuse to take prescription pain relief medication of any kind.
Tylenol works just fine for me so I’m all good.

Besides, it’s not like I’m taking it constantly every 8 hours.
I generally just bite the bullet during the day and take a couple before bed so I can at least have some semblance of rest while I sleep.[/quote]

Dude I’m the same way I don’t do pain meds. Except morphine… I will gladly accept that white wasp. lol.

Damn coffee, how hard were you pressing down on the concrete? It just seems unusual that your bones would be that brittle. I hope you feel better.

In less, ah, crushing news, I see that the “crazy Gundam guy” from Japan believes that today’s up and coming seiyuu all sound alike, that they’ve been corrupted by the “currently trendy” anime.

Stereotypical voice acting kept (and keep) me away from most subs made since the beginning of the moeblob trend so I’m inclined to agree.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-08-29/gundam-tomino-thinks-young-voice-actors-all-sound-the-same/.78125

Going back to the language conversation:

Thanks, idiots.

[quote=“Slowhand” post=175882]Going back to the language conversation:

Thanks, idiots.[/quote]

Same people that think “catch” means to not catch as well… :frowning:

I haven’t visited this thread in awhile and kept putting it on the back burner until now. I’m very sorry to hear about your injury, Coffee God. That would be very unexpected. I hope you are managing through it so far the best you can and recover soon.
:frowning:

[quote=“Slowhand” post=175882]Going back to the language conversation:

Thanks, idiots.[/quote]

Sic Ted Mosby on 'em.

(I’m ashamed that I actually knew about that, and knew about it before reading the article where one of his word-use rants was mentioned)