Btooom!

But, going back to the previous posts, will that 6/13 release be dubbed?

No DUB.

I’m not going to discuss release dates or whether it a season has been dubbed or not, though I happy it has been carried to a second season. I’m more interested in the story…

The onomatopoeic titled story Btooom is a very interesting variation of The Most Dangerous Game which has been done in a myriad of variations, but none quite like this—The American TV series Survivor with bombs! The selection process is a combination of The Last Starfighter and Hell Girl.

What I find fascinating in the writing is how the participants are characterized. What kind of person is one that is so hated that they are literally voted onto an island hell. I personally have a little more faith in human beings that the writers, but I think they capture madness and sociopathy pretty well. The defense lawyer’s psychotic break was pure irony as he become more insane than his psychopathic child client.

What makes this treatment of an old saw work is the love story. You really start caring about the protagonists—Ryōta and Hemilia… so much so that if either were killed or became out of character it would be to depressing to keep on watching!

I hope this tale goes beyond the typical 26 episodes, but if it doesn’t… I hope it doesn’t end as much of a downer as Highschool of the Dead did! :sick:

HSotD ended on a downer? When did this happen?

As it stands now, I can’t help but feel that you’re trying to present Btooom! as more than it is. If Btooom! were a pool, it would be an Olympic-sized one, but it would only have about a foot of water in it, representing that it has the potential to be profound but is pathetically shallow as it stands. I’m currently of the opinion that your review of it wants us to, continuing the metaphor, jump into that foot of water from the high diving platform. Maybe we’ll survive but we won’t get the experience that we should have and we probably won’t enjoy it.

Though perhaps that is because the show is overly cheesy in Japanese IMO. At first I thought it was supposed to be a parody, since the main character strikes me as a really cheesy & mocking rendition of Light Yagami, but I’m not certain. The show exists to me in an unfortunate “limbo” between “srs show” and “tongue-in-cheek, over-the-top parody”.

I deign to discuss the dub and so I will say that I am banking on the dub fixing the show, hopefully “filling the pool” (dub makes it live up to its potential) or, at the very least, firmly establishing if the show is to be taken seriously or regarded as a lackluster parody.

Interesting metaphor… an Olympic swimming pool is 100mX50mX2m!! That’s a lot of water even if the depth is reduced to 0.3m… :wink:

I apologize for giving you the impression that I was knocking HSotD… I was not… I was knocking the last two episodes that seemed to be just slapped on to end it… :whistle: Thus collapsing a beautiful soufflé… of course this may have escaped you :pinch:

You ought to take my statement about the Olympic pool in context, namely that it is not about the total volume of water in the hypothetical pool but how deep the water in the pool would be (given the parameters I specified), relative to what it should be. By taking my statement out of context and perverting it into the version that you posted you have constructed a straw man and attacked it. That’s a logical fallacy.

Complete Collection Cover Disc Art

DVD

Blu-ray

Wow. This is the first time I’ve really noticed the final art being markedly different from the “not final” art on RightStuf for a Sentai series. It is very green now. Very, very green. I was partial to the more “Golgo 13”-esque, orange look that it had before.

Why is Blu-ray Disc 2 using the art of DVD disc 3, instead of DVD disc 2?

“world of warcraft” :wink:

Actually, it’s pretty common for Sentai’s preliminary and final artwork to be much different. It’s actually more rare that the prelim artwork doesn’t change.

That neon green looks hot! That’s gonna look nice in my collection.

Official BTOOOM! English Dub Voice Cast

November 8, 2013 at 3:33pm

Available December 10, 2013
Pre Order TODAY!
Blu-ray: http://bit.ly/19LEoNm
DVD: http://bit.ly/18e1ect

About BTOOOM!
In the blink of the mind’s eye, Ryuta Sakamoto suddenly finds himself transported from playing the hit BTOOOM! video game to being stranded on a mysterious island. He’s equipped with a day’s worth of provisions, a bag of bombs, a strange crystal embedded in his left hand, and a huge gaping hole in his memory. But it doesn’t take long to figure out what’s going on, especially after the first person Ryuta meets tries to kill him. Someone is attempting to recreate the ultra-violent BTOOOM! game in real life, and the island has been filled with an army of other unwilling players, each armed with one of the multiple variants of explosive weapons called BIM.

Fortunately, Ryuta’s an ace BTOOOM! player, but this insane version of the game has no reset switch or second lives, and there’s only one way off the island: kill seven other people before they can kill you! Can Ryuta repurpose his game-based skills fast enough to survive this ultimate battle royale?

Director - Steven Foster

Voice Cast
Ryouta Sakamoto - Tyler Galindo
Himiko - Brittney Karbowski
Kousuke Kira - Chelsea McCurdy
Masashi Miyamoto - Jovan Jackson
Nobutaka Oda - Crash Buist
Masahito Date - David Matranga
Kiyoshi Taira - Andrew Love
Hidemi Kinoshita - Shelly Calene-Black
Yoshiaki Imagawa - Josh Sheltz
Souichi Natsume - Patrick Poole
Yoshihisa Kira - Christopher Ayres
Mitsuo Akechi - Mark X Laskowski
Shiki Murasaki - Maggie Flecknoe
Tsuneaki Iida - Leraldo Anzaldua
Isamu Kondou - Parke Fetch

Sentai Filmworks Facebook

So it appears we have another dub with a mix of old and new names. I believe this is Anzaldua’s first time directing. I’m curious how it will turn out.

Looks like the Director got changed to Steven Foster in the PR.

And here’s the dub teaser Sentai posted.

I’m not surprised, seeing as how the official cover art has listed Foster for weeks now.

Unfortunately we aren’t seeing a new name in the Karbowski slot. Just as I do with Watamote, I have my doubts about her as this character. This cast reminds me of the Garden of Words cast, which is a bit interesting as this is pretty much the opposite of that (well: violence & crazies vs “teh feels” and crazies).

Does Tyler Galindo count as Sentai’s equivalent of Aaron Dismuke?

Episodes 1-12 (Dub) are now live at ANO

Btooom arrived in my mailbox today. What are the “btooom digests” and should I expect them to be, as similar sounding things on other Sentai releases were, dubbed?

I haven’t checked it out yet as I haven’t gotten to a bluray player, another reason to step on the soapbox and advocate Sentai using the Combopak; when it comes to companies that use the combopak, it ain’t like Highlander:there can be more than one :slight_smile:

Well, I watched the digests. They’re 2 minute long videos with no dialogue. They’re loaded with spoilers for the show, spoilers which include some really not-straight content.

The dubbed Girls und Panzer trailer is on here…with 3 other trailers, all of which are in Japanese. Moar English trailers plz.

BTW, what is up with the low-res menu screen on the BDs?

Junya Inoue’s Btooom! Manga Enters Final Arc

posted on 2014-03-20 01:00 EDT
Series inspired 12-episode anime series in 2012

I keep forgetting that this show bombed in Japan. I really should see it, the bluray is on my shelf, but what I saw of this when simulcast didn’t exactly blow me away (this is too easy lol).

But since the Japanese otaku and I have little overlap in tastes if they don’t like it the odds are that I just might.

For a game that’s all about kill or be killed, these guys sure do like to leave their weapons out of reach. After the first time they got themselves into trouble by leaving their weapons out of reach, i figured they would have learned but as it continually happens in the series, I believe they fit the old definition of insanity.

In other words, BTOOOM! is a 12 episode version of the scene from The Losers where the man who would become Captain America left his gun in the van and thus cost his side the fight.