Toonami News & Notes

This is the Toonami News & Notes thread.
Effective May 29, 2016:
Only post article/news/notes about Toonami OR about anime that doesn’t already have an existing thread.
Anything posted here that already has an existing thread will either be moved to that thread or deleted. NO EXCEPTIONS.
✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰

Cargo Hold

(Animes whose episodes appeared on Toonami but don’t have an existing thread)

gen:LOCK

Episodes on Toonami
  1. The Pilot (August 3, 2019)
  2. There’s Always Tomorrow (August 10, 2019)
  3. Second Birthday (August 17, 2019)
  4. Training Daze (August 24, 2019)
  5. The Best Defense (August 31, 2019)
  6. The Only Me I Know (September 7, 2019)
  7. It Never Rains (September 14, 2019)
  8. Identity Crisis (September 21, 2019) FINALE

April Fools is more like a big tease then a prank.

Toonami with new voice over stuff recorded by Steven Blum for Tom 3.0.

Bleach they left in place but did a Toonami deal for it.

DBZ last episode of the Cell saga

Gundam Wing Episode 10

Tenchi Muyo the last episode of OVA 3.

Outlaw Star

Gundam Wing they actually had Tom talking about the last Anime Legends sets and to go pick them up. Wonder if Bandai and Funimation are paying for tonight. Also had a bit for the new Mass Effect .

Gundam Wing was the best Gundam, after all. I never did see the dub for it. “Double Oh” could have been better, but it failed.

Glad to see Outlaw Star getting some love. Sadly the theme song for it never did.

The year that CN showed their content in an insanely small box as their prank has kept me away from them on 4/1

So it appears it was mentioned by someone at Funi earlier this week along with something about ratings matter. So this may be a test for a new Toonami or at least Anime block. Probably with Verizon ditching Funi they need a new place to peddle their wares.

If Cartoon Network goes back to being a respectable channel for anime then I might be able to forgive their live-action transgressions.

If anime can kill off the sucky Adult Swim shows that require the viewer to be high or otherwise wasted to enjoy, then hallelujah.

It was just the only Gundam that clicked with American kids and teenagers. I find the older series have the better characters and storylines. Course it probably did not help running the original series from 1979 after a show from the mid 90’s. I still believe if they’d stuck with the original plan and ran Zeta instead of Superior Defender Gundam Force the older series could have had their second chance. Nope they decided to put that final nail in the coffin.

That said Wing was my first Gundam and without it I’d never found the others.

[quote=“psychopuppet”]

It was just the only Gundam that clicked with American kids and teenagers. I find the older series have the better characters and storylines. Course it probably did not help running the original series from 1979 after a show from the mid 90’s. I still believe if they’d stuck with the original plan and ran Zeta instead of Superior Defender Gundam Force the older series could have had their second chance. Nope they decided to put that final nail in the coffin.[/quote]
I thought G Gundam was well-received. Even though the show endlessly annoyed me by going against the premise it established in the intro for EVERY EPISODE (and too many dudes in bodysuits), the dub was so hilarious that I have a fondness for it.

IMO Gundam Wing had the superior story, it felt the most mature in premise. The idea of a fragmented and oppressed set of space colonies creating independent guerrilla fighting mechs to sabotage the oppressive regime and gain independence had potential. They didn’t fulfill that potential, but still. Speaking of nails in coffins, there was the one main character, who was fairly badass in the beginning of the show, letting himself seemingly be killed. Lame.

Double-Oh didn’t get the same exposure to Americans as Wing did, sadly, but I thought it started off well enough. The idea of unifying humanity by giving it a universal threat was interesting, a better version of the ideas from Star Trek, but then they ran out of ideas and went and ruined it with the Innovators and utopia dream worlds filled with lots of dudes and little clothing.

Every Gundam has 2 traits: It’ll fall to pieces by the end, and the main protagonist is a completely unlikeable, unpersonable jerk.

But each and every Gundam is still better than the crap that Cartoon Network has run like Assy McGee , Tom Goes to the Mayor, and Tim and Eric.

I didn’t see this till I watching dvr episode of bleach a few minutes ago. Now I’m why didn’t look at it earlier. Espically since they aired a tenchi episode. I think I just caught the end to blue submarine no 6 but no idea if that what it was. Something else never seen if it wasn’t that. Next is trigun. I got to say even if it just a april fools joke and one night only it’s best one ever.

Find me a source for this, kkthxbai.

Man, this has been a hell of a highlight of a night for me. And a new Funimation co-op Toonami on Saturday nights could be something really good. Funimation’s been running hard on licensing some of the highlight series every season, and with the new Lupin III season about to start I can’t see a reason why they wouldn’t try and pick that up, as well.

Tom returns with the Toonami logo announcing the shows, and what a pleasure!

DragonBall Z: Cell Games
Tenchi Muyo
YuYu Hakuso
Outlaw Star
Blue Submarine 6
Astroboy

some great shows and episodes in them. good to see many of them again form the vaults of anime past.

much better than inserting random fart sounds over the shows that the did in the past.

[quote=“celestial_being”]If Cartoon Network goes back to being a respectable channel for anime then I might be able to forgive their live-action transgressions.

If anime can kill off the sucky Adult Swim shows that require the viewer to be high or otherwise wasted to enjoy, then hallelujah.[/quote]
AMEN!

…and oops, jsut started a thread on this while Astroboy episode is in, in the TV/Movies forum, cause i figured that is where it would be. merging that post will be problematic with this forum software?

best april fool’s ever seeing Tom again. always nice to hear Steve Blum when you arent looking at the TV then turn around an its TOM! :ohmy: :woohoo:

Sadly, I had to miss this. I was working some overtime. :frowning:

Here’s the intro at least Cody…

They started off playing The Room like they always do…

…and then Bleach.

[quote=“Hornet65”]

Here’s the intro at least Cody…

They started off playing The Room like they always do…

…and then Bleach.[/quote]
Lol, I totally missed that intro (started during DBZ). Knowing me, I would’ve been cheering so hard, I’d break a hole into the wall, tykes.

Really wish I didn’t have to sleep for work this morning, otherwise I would’ve seen Big O and beyond. Catching Outlaw Star and Tom spouting new lines to remember by was really something, tykes.

Did anything come on after Astro Boy ?

Yeah, Gigantor.

Even if it was only a one time thing it was fun, I suppose. Sure took me back. Might even get me to buy a thing or two, which might have also been the point.

[quote=“Tanrim”]

Yeah, Gigantor.

Even if it was only a one time thing it was fun, I suppose. Sure took me back. Might even get me to buy a thing or two, which might have also been the point.[/quote]
Picking up some DVD’s because of the Toonami special would, I believe, be a good thing.

It would be good to let the distributor(s) & Cartoon Network know why you did so, too.

Mark Gosdin

I got home and caught Yu-Yu Hakasho and knew it was an April Fools prank, but the Toonami promos surprised me a lot more. Watched Blue Sub #6 - that looked interesting - then kinda slept through Trigun and the rest.

Aw, rats… I missed the whole thing! :angry:

[quote=“psychopuppet”]

It was just the only Gundam that clicked with American kids and teenagers. I find the older series have the better characters and storylines. Course it probably did not help running the original series from 1979 after a show from the mid 90’s. I still believe if they’d stuck with the original plan and ran Zeta instead of Superior Defender Gundam Force the older series could have had their second chance. Nope they decided to put that final nail in the coffin.

That said Wing was my first Gundam and without it I’d never found the others.[/quote]
I was always partial to Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny. Probably because it the first Gundam where I saw the whole series.
Slick

Damn, I completely forgot about their annual April Fools prank. I missed the whole thing!

Maybe I’ll try and “recreate” the experience by getting the DVDs and watching the bumps and commercials (which I found for download at toonamiarsenal.com) in-between episodes.