Chihayafuru

Episode 22 –

spoiler

So, Chihaya will be using her right hand against the Queen. I hope it works out for her. But it seems Chihaya has already won the battle of the tee shirts! LOL

Chihaya has really been looking forward to playing Shinobu again and intends to give it her all. Chihaya doesn’t seem to be in too much pain, but she isn’t getting any cards either. Shinobu is just too fast for her. Chihaya removes the final bandage from her finger, deciding that she can’t play with it and she needs every advantage.

The Queen can’t understand Chihaya’s determination, but Chihaya does manage to take Shinobu’s best card from her! However, Chihaya is in pain now. And she passes her best card to the Queen’s side! Shinobu shows no mercy with regards to Chihaya’s injury. Chihaya is really struggling now and she may have to resign herself to losing. The Queen is just too far ahead of her in cards.

The torture is soon over. The Queen wins and Chihaya loses. Chihaya may never achieve her dream of becoming Queen at this rate. After the match, Shinobu overhears Ms. Miyauchi reprimand Chihaya for removing her bandage. When Ms. Miyauchi goes for some ice for Chihaya, Chihaya thanks Shinobu for not going easy on her and hopes to play her again someday. Shinobu is a bit taken aback, but asks when that will be. Chihaya blurts out “the Queen match” and Shinobu leaves without answering.

Later, the Queen berates herself for “only” winning by twenty three cards and against an injured player too. She vows that the next time, Chihaya will not get even a single card from her. Meanwhile, Chihaya is facing her own disappointments. And the rest of the team isn’t doing too badly either. Sumire only lost in the third round, and Tsukuba made it to the semifinals. Taichi is still in the race, but his opponent is Retro. However, my money is on Taichi to make Class A!

Episode 23 –

spoiler

Sumire goes to watch Taichi’s match against Retro. The atmosphere is so tense! It looks like Arata and the Queen won their next matches as well. It seems they will face each other next, which is exactly what the Queen wanted. Arata just smiles and the watching Chihaya questions that smile. She wants to see this match!

But before that, she’s brought up to speed on the rest of her team. She also leans that Taichi and Arata will be playing at the same time, but in different rooms. She’s torn, but Nishida notices that Arata will be playing the Queen and wants to go to that match instead. He wants Chihaya to go with him since he’s confident that Taichi will win without their support. What will Chihaya do?

Retro lost to Taichi and notes that he was a completely different player that day. Even Taichi knows that Chihaya won’t come to his match. He knows she’ll be watching the Queen and Arata play. It seems that Taichi will be facing Fujisaki’s Rion. – the one blamed for losing the team match. However, Rion promises her club that she will win this time.

The finals are about to begin and Taichi is shocked to see Chihaya there for his match! With her watching, I’m sure Taichi’s nerves will get the better of him. Perhaps she should have gone to watch Arata and the Queen. However, Chihaya really wants Taichi to make Class A. Great! Now Taichi is more focused on Chihaya than himself. And he wants to win quickly so that Chihaya can catch the rest of the other match. I’m sure that this is another disaster waiting to happen!

Shinobu tells Arata that they need no friends but the cards and Arata asks her if she’s sure about that. The Queen takes the first couple of cards, but Arata isn’t worried and takes the next one. Now the Queen has something to worry about! Meanwhile, Taichi and Rion are getting nothing but faults. I knew Taichi would not be able to concentrate with Chihaya there! Sadly, Chihaya can’t see it either and blames the reader for all the problems. Kanade realizes that this is the reader’s exam as well and he’s probably failing. Just wonderful.

Rion finds her stride and begins to take the cards. Come on Taichi! You can do this! Taichi begins to doubt himself but realizes his mistake. Comparing Rion to Chihaya, Taichi moves his cards. That seems to do the trick, but will he win? Things look pretty even at the moment. Taichi is determined to beat Chihaya one day and it shows. Even Chihaya is impressed by Taichi’s playing. The match is soon over and - Taichi wins!!!

Taichi reports his win and goes back to the room to get Chihaya. Grabbing her by the arm, he tells her that Arata’s match isn’t over yet. But when he looks back at Chihaya, she’s crying. She’s just so happy that Taichi made Class A and Chihaya congratulates him. It looks like Taichi wants to cry too! He was so focused on getting to Arata’s match that I don’t think he realized what he just accomplished. I am so happy! It’s about time he made Class A!

Episode 24 –

spoiler

Chihaya just can’t stop crying as she congratulates Taichi. He has her stand up and wipes her tears with his shirt. Aww! And once it truly sinks in that Taichi is Class A, Chihaya realizes that he’s a rival. LOL

Sumire sadly watches as Taichi grabs Chihaya’s wrist and drags her off to watch Arata. Kanade saw that and comforts Sumire with the title of a poem, but I don’t think Sumire got it. But the poem was very apt. Tsukuba is doing well in his match and may actually win.

Taichi hopes they can get into the room as they run up the stairs, but at the top, Chihaya pulls away from him. She tells him that she is going back to cheer Komano on and she isn’t sure why. She feels scared. An official tells them that there is no more space available in the room. However, when the Fujisaki coach appears with one of her team members and requests admittance, room is found for her and she offers to take Chihaya and Taichi in as well.

Chihaya is struck by the intensity when the door is opened and feels as if she’s underwater. It’s painful to her and she sees that Arata has five cards left to Shinobu’s eleven. Nishida notices Chihaya and Taichi in the room and goes over the beginning of the match in his mind, wishing they could have seen it. Arata is still amazing! And the Queen is a good opponent for him. It’s another extremely tense match. And Chihaya is once again struck by the way that Arata plays.

The many watchers believe that Arata may just have the skill to unseat Master Suo, and can they believe that the Queen is going down as well. She is actually sweating! But she steps up her game and things become more even. The cards are now four to seven but still in Arata’s favor. In the end, Arata wins by two cards. He beat the Queen! It’s her first loss and she can only smile in front of the audience, but I bet she’s seething inside. Shinobu is breathing heavy and Arata feels her forehead, telling her that she has a fever. Will she blame that for her loss? Arata is pretty amazed that she even made it through the match.

The Queen was happy to play such a strong opponent. She’s still the Queen! I don’t think Chihaya liked that Arata felt Shinobu’s forehead and I don’t think Taichi liked it much that Chihaya didn’t like it. But Chihaya was totally blown away by the match and I know she wanted to be part of it. It’s sad that there is only one more episode. This story is the best and I hope there will be another season down the road.

Episode 25 –

spoiler

Arata’s parents really don’t want Arata to attend school in Tokyo, but that was the agreement. His parents are funny and I like how his mother doesn’t want to be stuck at home with just her husband. Taichi is also amazed that Arata won the individual match and even beat the Queen. Arata comes over to congratulate Taichi on his match as well, but Taichi is still a little too dumbfounded to respond.

I liked how Chihaya congratulated him – by pulling him down to the floor! She continues to hold on to his shirt as she asks him how he can play so calmly and keep smiling. Before he can answer her, the winners are called to the ceremony downstairs. Chihaya is positive there is something wrong with the way she plays, but can’t quite put her finger on it.

The awards are handed out and I loved the look on the Queen’s face when Arata received his! LOL In addition to Taichi, Komano and Tsukuba also won their matches. Chihaya cheers for her teammates and others members of the audience think that Mizusawa is a force to be reckoned with. Sadly, it was Chihaya’s plan to win every class and she was the only one that lost. It hurts that she couldn’t do it.

As the team leaves, the Fujisaki coach offers a video of the Class A final to Chihaya and gives Chihaya her e-mail. Midori also sees what strong plays Arata and Taichi are. Back home, Chihaya has her hand checked out and the doctor sends her to another hospital. That doctor orders a MRI for her hand. It turns out that Chihaya has Enchondromatosis – a rare bone disorder. Thankfully, it’s only in one finger. She tells her teammates about it and they are very concerned. She will most likely need an operation as well – if she wants to keep playing karuta.

The operation will require Chihaya to be in the hospital for a while and she’s naturally scared. But she wants to be able to play karuta without any worries. She wants the operation. After she’s settled into her hospital room, she plays the Class A final on a laptop that she borrowed from her sister. The little old ladies that are her roommates can’t understand her intense concentration which was funny. If they only knew Chihaya a little better! LOL

Arata is checking out a magazine of her sister when Chihaya calls him. But I’m not sure what she wants unless it’s to continue their conversation from the tournament. Meanwhile, her teammates are preparing to visit her and argue over what they should bring her. Looks like they will be getting her individual gifts and Taichi chooses flowers. Chihaya tells Arata that she wants to get better at karuta. She tells him that she’s been working really hard and that it hurts. She feels that Arata is too far away and begins to cry.

Arata tells Chihaya his secret. He always thinks of them playing when they were little. That must be why he always smiles. Chihaya is touched and has a fond memory as well. This is what makes Arata so strong? She really doesn’t understand and this is when her teammates arrive. Taichi instinctively knows who she’s talking to too. She says that she will always love karuta – and Arata. But I think she means that she loves him as a friend and part of her karuta world.

The operation was a success, but there will be pain and I’m still worried for Chihaya’s future karuta playing. She tries a practice swing and gets scolded by the doctor and nurse. Only Chihaya! LOL And she still has to stay in the hospital for a week and do her homework as well. One assignment is to compose twenty poems, which shouldn’t be hard for her considering her hobby, but it is. She remembers Kanade telling her to “translate your feelings into meter”. But she told Chihaya other things as well, which totally intimidated her! Chihaya just can’t think of anything and I wonder why she doesn’t write about karuta, her passion.

Her mind again wanders back to Arata’s room when they were kids. Taichi and Kanade visit and find Chihaya struggling with her homework. They read one of her poems which was pretty hysterical. But she also wrote a couple with that childhood memory in mind, which were quite beautiful. Kanade can see Arata behind those words. On the way home, Taichi tells Kanade that he’s happy with Chihaya’s progress and that she’ll probably be able to play in the fall tournament. But Kanade has other things on her mind and tells Taichi that he has to try harder. I guess we know what side Kanade is on! LOL

Kanade knows that Taichi has feelings for Chihaya and would like to see him visit her alone. And she also knows that Chihaya is clueless about those feelings. But Taichi knows all this already. Chihaya keeps watching that Class A final and the nurse catches her practice swinging again. LOL Chihaya calls Midori to thank her for the video and to ask for her thoughts on the match. Midori analyzes both Arata’s and the Queen’s style of playing. It’s a bit overmuch, but Chihaya appreciates it.

Midori then invites Chihaya and the Mizusawa team to the Fujisaki karuta training camp. Chihaya jumps at the chance, but how is she going to participate? Her hand still needs to heal. When the time comes, Chihaya and Taichi are the only ones that can go. But this was Kanade’s plan to get them alone together. And Chihaya still can’t use her hand for another month. She tells Taichi that karuta is all she can think about and Taichi tells her that they can only go forward.

I enjoyed the season recap during the end credits. Afterwards, Arata tells his co-worker that he hopes to get to Tokyo on a karuta scholarship. I do hope there will be another season. I still want to see Chihaya become Queen. I’d also like to see the three friends together again. But I’m not sure how things with work out with Taichi’s feelings. There is definitely more story to be told. It’s still one of the best series ever!

Chihayafuru Anime’s 2nd Season to Launch

posted on 2012-06-08 05:32 EDT by Egan Loo
Yuki Suetsugu’s manga about female karuta card player already inspired 2011-2012 season

Second “Chihayafuru” Anime Slated for January 2013

September 12, 2012 9:28am CDT
Newly released 18th volume of manga reveals time frame for upcoming anime

Interview: Chihayafuru’s Asaka Morio, Kunihiko Hamada, Takuya Tsunoki

by Bamboo Dong, Sep 17th 2012

Miyu Irino, Megumi Han Join Chihayafuru 2 Anime Cast

posted on 2012-11-15 11:10 EST by Egan Loo
Irino, Han to play new karuta card-playing club members in January anime

Chihayafuru 2 Slated for January 11

posted on 2012-12-01 23:46 EST by Lynzee Loveridge

Crunchyroll to Stream Chihayafuru 2 TV Anime Series

posted on 2013-01-07 16:55 EST by Crystalyn Hodgkins
Sequel series based on Yuki Suetsugu’s shōjo manga about karuta to premiere on January 11

Big “Chihayafuru” Announcement Coming Soon

April 02, 2015 7:48am CDT
A third anime on the way?

Sentai Filmworks License Announcement

September 14, 2016

Sentai Filmworks Licenses Chihayafuru Anime

posted on 2016-09-14 17:01 EDT by Karen Ressler
Company acquires both 25-episode seasons

3 Likes

http://ask.fm/SentaiFilmworks/answers/138138119389

Q. Will Chihayafuru get a dub?

A. If multiple fans demand it. Loudly. Repeatedly. It is a possibility.

http://ask.fm/SentaiFilmworks/answers/139024107485

Q. Dear Sentai Ninjas, For the upcoming release of Chihayafuru on BD, please make a collector’s edition with actual karuta cards. I’ll pay good money for it.

A. Ooh! Thank you for the suggestion! It’s certainly on the table for consideration.

It’s getting a dub.

:arrow_double_up: article

Chihayafuru Anime Gets English Dub

posted on 2017-05-22 15:14 EDT by Karen Ressler

https://ask.fm/SentaiFilmworks/answers/140725327581

Q. Will your Chihayafuru set include the OVA? Or is that going to get released with season 2? By the way, your Premium Box Set looks amazing and you’re even dubbing this, I’m so happy!

A. The OVA will not be in the Season 1 collection, and we have not released any details about Season 2 yet.

CHIHAYAFURU PREMIUM BOX SET REVEAL

5/26/2017 10:26:31 AM

Step into your favorite game as the Chihayafuru Season 1 Premium Box Set makes its grand appearance! Get into the karuta spirit with all 25 episodes, including the English dub and a collection of exclusive goodies you won’t find anywhere else.

About Chihayafuru

Chihaya Ayase was a girl who never seemed to fit in. She never had much in common with the other kids, and her family was so obsessed with her older sister’s modeling career that, sometimes, it was like Chihaya wasn’t even there. Everything changes when transfer student Arata gets Chihaya interested in the world of competitive Karuta, a unique card-based game that requires lightning fast reflexes, an exceptional memory, and a keen ear. Chihaya is a natural, and she has the skills to take her to the very top. Suddenly, Chihaya has found her goal: to become the best player in Japan! It won’t be easy, but when a girl has a dream in her heart, nothing else matters in CHIHAYAFURU Season 1!

Box Set Exclusive Goodies!

Karuta Glossary

This 5”x7” double-sided brochure contains a comprehensive list of karuta terms used in the anime and the real game!

2 Karuta Cards

We’ve included two collectible 4”x6” karuta cards with English translations.

Collector’s Booklet

Get an inside look into Chihayafuru, with this 16-page collector’s booklet, complete with episode summaries (Spoiler Alert!), character designs, and more.

Character Cards x 5

Learn more about Chihaya, Taichi, and the rest of the karuta team in these adorable double-sided character cards!

Art Cards x 2

These art cards capture our three heroes in childhood and in high school.

Pre-Order Chihayafuru Today!

With its stunning art, well-developed characters, and heartwarming story, Chihayafuru is an anime that many fans have been waiting to take home and add to their collection. Thank you for letting your voices be heard and for helping make this release happen!

Get your copy of the limited edition today, with free shipping and $5.00 off your order until Monday, June 29, 2017. (Offer only available at the Sentai Filmworks shop!)

1 Like

Chihayafuru Season 1 Cover/Disc Art

DVD

Blu-ray

1 Like

CHIHAYAFURU OFFICIAL ENGLISH DUB CAST LIST

8/4/2017 12:40:35 PM

Complete Collection Available September 12, 2017

Premium Box Set | DVD/Blu-ray

About Chihayafuru

Chihaya Ayase was a girl who never seemed to fit in. She never had much in common with the other kids, and her family was so obsessed with her older sister’s modeling career that, sometimes, it was like Chihaya wasn’t even there. Everything changes when transfer student Arata gets Chihaya interested in the world of competitive Karuta, a unique card-based game that requires lightning fast reflexes, an exceptional memory, and a keen ear. Chihaya is a natural, and she has the skills to take her to the very top. Suddenly, Chihaya has found her goal: to become the best player in Japan! It won’t be easy, but when a girl has a dream in her heart, nothing else matters in CHIHAYAFURU Season 1!
Rating: TV- 14

Director: Shannon Reed
Assistant Director: Joey Goubeaud, Brittany Deans
ADR Script: Javier Lopez, Kyle Colby Jones, Joel McCray

Chihayafuru English Cast
Chihaya - Luci Christian
Taichi - Adam Gibbs
Arata - Blake Shepard
Miyauchi - Vicki Barosh
O.Igarashi - Javier Lopez
Chitose - Carli Mosier
Michiru - Melissa Molano