Chihayafuru

S2 Episode 5 –

spoiler

Mizusawa vs. Hokuo – the match is here! Both teams feel they don’t have to work hard because two teams are being sent to Nationals, so even if they lose, they still get to go. However, Chihaya wants her team to be more positive. She wants to be number one in Japan and number one means never losing. And so the pressure is on again. It was a funny moment when Nishida found out that his sister is Retro’s girlfriend! But I wonder if he’s just using her to get info on her brother’s team.

Someone changed the order and perhaps that’s a good thing since Retro predicted Mizusawa’s order. And he gets blamed for being wrong too. However, Retro feels that they should play straight this time, ace against ace, number two against number two, etc. He just wants to prove that Hokuo is the strongest school in Tokyo. Another shock when Hokuo’s former team member, now graduated, shows up to be the reader. Sudo was a good player, but will he be a good reader?

Just before the match, Ms. Miyauchi gives her team a small gift to help them during their match. She looked very surprised when the team turned to her as one and bowed. After the teams wish each other luck and begin to place their cards, Retro informs Taichi that he will win. He seems a little overconfident because Taichi is still a Class B player. Then again, Taichi gets a lot of confidence from Chihaya. This will be a very interesting match!

Chihaya thinks Sudo is a strong reader - as she loses the first card! And then she loses the second card as well. The girl needs to focus! Chihaya has already lost seven cards to her opponent – not good. At this point, the Hokuo team is winning. I don’t think it’s fair that they got to practice with Sudo. There should be some kind of rule against that. Nishida loses and Hokuo has one definite win. Now the pressure is really on for Mizusawa!

just popping in to remind everyone that Chihayafuru is AMAZING

S2 Episode 6 –

spoiler

It seems Nishida’s loss has put a damper on the team. But Chihaya finally finds her technique! And she managed to frazzle her opponent too. Sudo knows Chihaya can “hear” him and isn’t guessing cards as her opponent thinks she is. Sudo wonders what it is about his voice that is giving her the edge. Then he realizes it isn’t exactly his voice, but the way Chihaya is in control. Dr. Harada can see how much she’s improved. And the rest of Mizusawa seems to be hitting their rhythm as well – even Retro is losing! Guess his plan wasn’t a very good one this time.

But suddenly the match is even and it all comes down to luck. Hokuo has had more experience playing as a team and was able to split their cards so two more wins for them will be easy. Taichi is worried that Mizusawa may actually lose. And too late Chihaya realizes what is going on. She goes into a bit of a panic because they still need all three wins. But then she sees Nishida silently berating himself over his loss and maybe that helps her. Chihaya seems more determined now.

Chihaya starts practicing her swings again, but this time they reach to her opponent’s side. Taichi watches her for a moment and then begins to practice his swings as well. He thinks about the remaining cards and promises himself that Mizusawa will win! Retro feels that his team only has to focus on defense to win, but seeing Taichi’s determination, he’s starting to look a little nervous. This causes a fault and Taichi wins! Now both sides only need two more wins. Come on Chihaya!

With Retro’s loss, suddenly Amakasu wants to win. And he was the one that said they didn’t have to work too hard because two teams get to go to Nationals. What a flip in attitude! Unfortunately, both he and Chihaya touch the card at the exact same moment and being that it was on Amakasu’s side, Hokuo gets the win. Nuts! In the end Hokuo wins the match and the cup, but at least Mizusawa gets the chance to redeem themselves at Nationals. It was a very exciting match though. Chihaya had fun – always a plus! And Dr. Harada gains five more students - nice that the new guys are finally taking things seriously! It was nice of Arata to e-mail Chihaya, but I don’t think Taichi appreciated it, especially when Chihaya started crying. Well, they will see him at Nationals and that should be interesting.

S2 Episode 7 –

spoiler

Chihaya laments her loss, but prepares for Nationals. Her sister makes the decision to focus on her education, since she didn’t cut it as an actress and is getting too old to model. So now there are two gloomy bugs in that household!

Now Chihaya has another problem. She only has two of the five required new members and may have to give up her club room to the band. She avoids the issue for the moment, but will need to think of something. She decides to let the band use the second floor of the club. But won’t that be too noisy? They need to concentrate for Nationals! Well, it’s just for the storage of their instruments and Chihaya feels that if she’s nice to them, they may do her a favor someday.

The newbies are working hard at the society, but Sumire is still trying to impress Taichi. And she knows how he feels about Chihaya. It was funny when Sumire had to play against Dr. Harada! Chihaya’s mother takes her shopping for her own hakama, and is impressed when she sees that her daughter knows how to put one on properly. She also gets on well with Kanade’s mother and they talk of the concerns of raising their children.

This little trip with her mom seems to have lifted Chihaya’s spirits a bit and she’s a little more intent on her practicing. When her sister sees her practicing so hard at home, Chitose decides to fight for her future in entertainment as well and tosses her entrance exam guide. Now Chihaya just needs to get her grades up! And Kanade has to teach her the difference between impassionate and frenzied. In the middle of this, it was funny when the band interrupted them to play them a good luck song – the school anthem - for Nationals, but it lasted awfully long! They thank them for the use of the second floor too, which was nice. It would also be nice if the band was a little quieter up there!

Well, Chihaya didn’t pass her test and has even more work to do. She also decides to leave her new hakama home because she fainted last year. That doesn’t please her mother at all. At least Chihaya still has her determination to become number one in all of Japan. They arrive at the inn for Nationals and Sumire is still after Taichi. She even asks Chihaya if there is anyone she likes. Chihaya thinks about it and can only think of her rival – the Queen – which doesn’t count!

But Chihaya does think of Arata and even calls him. Unfortunately, Taichi accidently overhears her conversation. Chihaya learns that she won’t be able to play against him after all, since he will only be in the individual match. She is disappointed and the depressed Taichi seeing that just turns and walks away. But Chihaya is now determined to win both the team and the individual championships! And so it begins!

S2 Episode 8 –

spoiler

Nationals begin and Chihaya is very enthusiastic. Tsukuba seems just as excited and he will also be in the first round, since Komano needs to scout their stronger opponents. Both Chihaya and Taichi want to win every match and become number one in Japan. But their first opposing team is a foreign one and Mizusawa seems a little frazzled by them before they even begin. And Chihaya is crying! She’s happy that “Karuta has become a global game like poker and Othello!”

Taichi needs to calm his team down. The Chiba school was trying to put pressure on them by acting like foreigners and Taichi calls them on it! I think once that team started arguing amongst themselves, Mizusawa felt a little better. But the Chiba team still manages to impress Chihaya, although it’s killing Kanade that her opponent is wearing her kimono incorrectly!

The match begins and Mizusawa is still a little put off by these foreigners, but Nishida tells them to just play as they always do. Chiba is even a little apprehensive of Mizusawa, but they turn out to be good opponents. However, Mizusawa soon finds its rhythm and they begin to move in unison. Of course they win and Chiba is left in the dust. But the disheartened players soon receive a message from Mizusawa that they want to play again and Chiba promises to come back as a stronger team the following year!

Arata has arrived! But he’s too late to watch Mizusawa’s first match. I really liked how he was walking up the steps and a creepy hand reaches from behind him to grab his shoulder. And it’s the Queen! I can’t wait till Chihaya plays her again!

S2 Episode 9 –

spoiler

It turns out that the Queen isn’t there to watch the team tournament anyway and thinks that team players don’t really love karuta. She insinuates that’s why Arata isn’t on a team either.

Komano informs Taichi that Fujisaki has five Class A players on their team. Taichi has to worry about that and all the other opponents stronger than them. The pressure is really on him to keep his team focused. The last thing he needs is Arata there to watch them.

At least Arata is keeping his distance from his friends. But I have a feeling that he will end up in the team tournament anyway. The Fujioka West team is in major trouble and I’m sure Arata will end up helping them out. He does, posing as the missing member, Tajiri, but that could get the team into even more trouble if it’s discovered. Even with a face mask and without his glasses, he could still be recognized.

Thankfully, Mizusawa is playing in another room, but Taichi can’t stop thinking about Arata. Funny, but it would be something if they end up playing him as a team! But Arata is having problems as a team player. He isn’t used to it and it shows. Also, his heart isn’t in it because it isn’t “his” team. In the end, he puts his glasses back on and everything changes. Unfortunately, one of the refs does recognize him, just from the distinctive way he plays.

Fujioka West loses, but at least Arata helped them to realize their dream of playing at Nationals. However, Arata is chastised by the ref that recognized him and Fujioka West will receive an official reprimand. Arata himself might be barred from the individual tournament. Oh no! I guess that’s what you get though.

S2 Episode 10 –

spoiler

Mizusawa is now up against Yamaguchi Mioka, “the star of public high schools” and it looks like this is going to be a very tough match. And Chihaya suddenly looks frazzled!

Meanwhile, Arata’s fate is being determined by the officials. They seemed to be swayed by the fact that no one likes the current master and Arata has a good chance of replacing him. Suddenly, Shoji bursts into the meeting, saying that it was all his fault and explaining his reasons to ask Arata to play with his team. The officials seem happy to have an excuse to let the incident slide, but Arata pulls Shoji from the room, saying that he must accept his punishment. Arata seems resigned to his expected fate.

Ms. Miyauchi gets a chance to speak with the advisor for Yamaguchi Mioka and brings up the fact that the team is composed of third year students. She wonders if they shouldn’t be more focused on college exams. The advisor surprises her by saying that karuta is a very useful study aid. It trains students in concentration and memorization techniques through a fun game. The funny thing is that he isn’t all the interested in winning, but seems to be beating all the good teams. Ms. Miyauchi hopes her team crushes them!

Unfortunately, the unconventional way the opposing team has set up their cards is throwing Mizusawa off their game. And Chihaya’s opponent keeps changing the position of his cards, confusing her even more. Then of all things, it’s noticed that the Queen was watching the match from outside. Chihaya suddenly feels inadequate and wonders if she’s improved enough to even face Shinobu again.

Shinobu enters the building to find Arata in the vestibule and he tells her that he won’t be able to play in the individual match. He tells her that he broke one of the rules and wishes her luck in the individual match. Shinobu drags Arata to one of the officials and tells him that if Arata doesn’t play, she will forfeit!

At the match, Mizusawa seems to be holding their own but Chihaya’s opponent still seems to be rearranging his cards after each play and Chihaya seems to be at her wit’s end. However, when her opponent is down to six cards and almost all of them just happen to be one syllable ones, Chihaya finally finds her fighting spirit and shocks her opponent with her technique. He never had a chance! And Mizusawa advances to the playoffs! Yay!

Sumire tells her team that she saw the Queen begging the officials to let someone play in the individual tournament just because the Queen wanted to play him. Chihaya instinctively knows that Sumire is talking about Arata, but just as she’s about to confirm that with Sumire, Taichi rudely interrupts, saying that they have to prepare for the next match. Taichi tells himself that he needs Chihaya to stay focused, but I think it’s just his jealousy showing itself again!

I still find the real thing fascinating as well.

And I got a kick out of this too!

Episode 14 –

spoiler

At least Arata is happy Mizusawa is still in the game. And they won! But Chihaya lost. It looks like it really got to her too. Nice that Taichi can tell her to relax without even speaking to her. He knows her so well. But I wonder if they can really face Fujisaki without Kanade.

Episode 15 –

spoiler

Fujisaki vs. Mizusawa! Both teams have switched out players and Komano did his research well. The Queen has appeared amongst the spectators too! The anticipation is going to kill me!

Episode 16 –

spoiler

Well, that was annoyingly disappointing! An interesting recap episode for the second season, but I really wanted to see the match!!!

:lol: They really do want to kill me with the anticipation!

Episode 17 –

spoiler

Chihaya is already having trouble with her opponent, Rion, whose grandmother just happens to be the reader for this match. Even the Queen can see that Fujisaki has the upper hand over Mizusawa. Mizusawa has never been up against a team like this before – and they know it too. And now Chihaya is injured as well. This could be either a problem or a boost that the team needs.

Episode 18 –

spoiler

It was funny when the boys stood up together and slapped their faces! But that is just their commitment to not giving up. Mizusawa is still losing and they need to turn this match around! You can cut the tension with a knife. Even the Queen seems more interested.

Things do seem to be getting better for Mizusawa as they take more cards. But Fujisaki gets their first win off Komano of all people! The pain in her wrist is becoming more intense for Chihaya and she fears that she may not be able to play in the individual tournament. But she’s more determined to win this one!

I think the Queen gets the concept of team playing now. Too bad she never got to be on one. The anticipation keeps building and I can hardly take it anymore myself. Then Tsukuba breaks his promise to Kanade as Fujisaki gains another win for their team off him. Mizusawa can’t afford another loss if they want to stay in the game. But can they get the final three wins they need?

Episode 19 –

spoiler

Taichi gets a double fault off his opponent, so things are starting to look up for him again. Taichi’s expression after that was pretty scary!

Chihaya got one win for her side! And promptly falls asleep. Now it’s up to the other two to win. Can they do it? I can’t take this suspense anymore!

MIZUSAWA WINS!!! And I was just crying along with everyone else. Chihaya and the others finally see Arata and with tears in her eyes, Chihaya proclaims that her team is the best in Japan. And that she did it without becoming Queen!

Episode 20 –

spoiler

It was a long journey, but Mizusawa proudly receives their reward. Now that it’s all over, Chihaya can focus on her injured hand. Ms. Miyauchi takes her to a hospital, but will that mean that she’s out of the individual tournament?

It was funny that when Arata joined the rest of the group, Sumire started drilling him on his “type”. She’s dragged away and Arata and Taichi finally get a moment to talk. Arata tells Taichi that his only team is the one with Taichi and Chihaya from when they were kids. He also tells Taichi that he’ll be attending college in Tokyo as well as winning the individual tournament the following day. This is all too much for Taichi to take in! Just what he needs – his rival in Tokyo – with Chihaya! Taichi considers him an enemy now and that’s sad.

An x-ray shows no broken bones, but Chihaya does have a chip fracture. It’s a minor injury, but enough to keep Chihaya out of the tournament. Back at the inn, Chihaya accidently goes to the boy’s room. She finds Taichi asleep and lies next to him, reflecting on the competition. Chihaya is thankful for all that they worked for, but does her own journey end here? She falls asleep next to Taichi.

The next day, the others are shocked by the extent of her injury, but Chihaya was hoping her it would heal overnight. Wishful thinking! Ms. Miyauchi advises her to enjoy her team victory and give up on the individual tournament. Just then, Nishida’s sister gives them new tee shirts and it looks like she stayed up all night making them. Sweet girl! When Chihaya sees “congratulations winners” on them, she really wants to play.

Sudo from Hokuo overhears her and even he tells hers that wounded animals are weak and slow. That just makes Chihaya angry. She wants to win the tournament in each class. She even expects Sumire and Tsukuba to win for Class D as everyone dons their tee shirts. All the competing teams are in the individual matches, so they know their opponents will be strong players. The Queen arrives in one of her funky outfits. Chihaya practices her swing and is in a lot of pain. Again, she is told not to play, but she happens to see the Queen and says that she will play with her left hand.

When Nishida sees that Chihaya is up against Yuube Keiko, one of his team match opponents, he tells Chihaya that she doesn’t have a chance. The Queen arrives and finds that she isn’t playing Arata. When Arata appears, she says she’s happy not to see him against her in the first round, but I know she isn’t. She is just itching to play this guy! The Queen walks away, determined to beat them all. Arata spots Chihaya and she hides her injured hand behind her back. She will just be happy to even play in the same room as him.

The start is called and the players go to their rooms and take their positions. Ms. Miyauchi will watch the Class A match. Everyone is nervous and the atmosphere is already tense. And so the match begins! Chihaya loses the first card and for the second, she realizes that her left hand isn’t strong enough. I can’t wait to see how this all turns out!

Episode 21 –

spoiler

Chihaya using her left hand isn’t working well at all and her opponent really doesn’t mind – she wants revenge for her team’s loss. But at least Yuube is an honest player.

Great! Arata has won his match and has come to watch Chihaya. He’s surprised to see her injury and that she’s playing with her left hand. He thinks she’s nuts to be playing this way. I’m beginning to agree, but this is Chihaya and I know she will find her rhythm eventually – I just hope it’s soon!

She finally realized enough to switch her cards around for the ease of her left hand. But she gets reprimanded by an official. However, Yuube is kind enough to let the cards stay because of her handicap. And Chihaya’s gamble paid off! But she’s still behind. Yet, Arata is impressed by her playing and even remembers that she took her first card from him with her left hand when they were kids.

Chihaya wins! But only by two cards – she was lucky. And Yuube promises to play her again in a year – she wants revenge even more now. Arata compliments her win and that pleases Chihaya greatly. The next round pairs Arata with Nishida and we know how that will end! Sad though, because Chihaya really wanted to play him. Nishida has played Arata before and knows exactly what he’s up against too. But it’s funny that Arata’s parents want him to lose. They don’t want him going to college in Tokyo and if he wins, that’s what he wants to do. So, they are praying for him to lose and Ms. Miyauchi thinks that they are so passionate because they want their son to win. LOL

Nishida is actually holding his own against Arata and Arata’s parents are cheering him on. Arata is pleased with the strength of his opponent, but that isn’t stopping him from winning. Nishida just can’t match Arata’s skill. Of course Arata wins, but he’s impressed that Nishida could still play his heart out after playing in so many matches. Nishida breaks down and cries, but he’s also learned a few things. He wants to be a stronger player.

And of course, Chihaya wins her match as well – and promptly falls asleep, much to her opponent’s dismay! LOL Playing lefty is hard, but she’s learning fast. Third round pairings are announced and Chihaya will be up against the Queen! Oh nuts! She will never win with her left hand now. Arata watches as she takes her bandage off and massages her wrist. She will probably try to use her right hand now. This girl is absolutely crazy!

Episode 22 –

spoiler

So, Chihaya will be using her right hand against the Queen. I hope it works out for her. But it seems Chihaya has already won the battle of the tee shirts! LOL

Chihaya has really been looking forward to playing Shinobu again and intends to give it her all. Chihaya doesn’t seem to be in too much pain, but she isn’t getting any cards either. Shinobu is just too fast for her. Chihaya removes the final bandage from her finger, deciding that she can’t play with it and she needs every advantage.

The Queen can’t understand Chihaya’s determination, but Chihaya does manage to take Shinobu’s best card from her! However, Chihaya is in pain now. And she passes her best card to the Queen’s side! Shinobu shows no mercy with regards to Chihaya’s injury. Chihaya is really struggling now and she may have to resign herself to losing. The Queen is just too far ahead of her in cards.

The torture is soon over. The Queen wins and Chihaya loses. Chihaya may never achieve her dream of becoming Queen at this rate. After the match, Shinobu overhears Ms. Miyauchi reprimand Chihaya for removing her bandage. When Ms. Miyauchi goes for some ice for Chihaya, Chihaya thanks Shinobu for not going easy on her and hopes to play her again someday. Shinobu is a bit taken aback, but asks when that will be. Chihaya blurts out “the Queen match” and Shinobu leaves without answering.

Later, the Queen berates herself for “only” winning by twenty three cards and against an injured player too. She vows that the next time, Chihaya will not get even a single card from her. Meanwhile, Chihaya is facing her own disappointments. And the rest of the team isn’t doing too badly either. Sumire only lost in the third round, and Tsukuba made it to the semifinals. Taichi is still in the race, but his opponent is Retro. However, my money is on Taichi to make Class A!

Episode 23 –

spoiler

Sumire goes to watch Taichi’s match against Retro. The atmosphere is so tense! It looks like Arata and the Queen won their next matches as well. It seems they will face each other next, which is exactly what the Queen wanted. Arata just smiles and the watching Chihaya questions that smile. She wants to see this match!

But before that, she’s brought up to speed on the rest of her team. She also leans that Taichi and Arata will be playing at the same time, but in different rooms. She’s torn, but Nishida notices that Arata will be playing the Queen and wants to go to that match instead. He wants Chihaya to go with him since he’s confident that Taichi will win without their support. What will Chihaya do?

Retro lost to Taichi and notes that he was a completely different player that day. Even Taichi knows that Chihaya won’t come to his match. He knows she’ll be watching the Queen and Arata play. It seems that Taichi will be facing Fujisaki’s Rion. – the one blamed for losing the team match. However, Rion promises her club that she will win this time.

The finals are about to begin and Taichi is shocked to see Chihaya there for his match! With her watching, I’m sure Taichi’s nerves will get the better of him. Perhaps she should have gone to watch Arata and the Queen. However, Chihaya really wants Taichi to make Class A. Great! Now Taichi is more focused on Chihaya than himself. And he wants to win quickly so that Chihaya can catch the rest of the other match. I’m sure that this is another disaster waiting to happen!

Shinobu tells Arata that they need no friends but the cards and Arata asks her if she’s sure about that. The Queen takes the first couple of cards, but Arata isn’t worried and takes the next one. Now the Queen has something to worry about! Meanwhile, Taichi and Rion are getting nothing but faults. I knew Taichi would not be able to concentrate with Chihaya there! Sadly, Chihaya can’t see it either and blames the reader for all the problems. Kanade realizes that this is the reader’s exam as well and he’s probably failing. Just wonderful.

Rion finds her stride and begins to take the cards. Come on Taichi! You can do this! Taichi begins to doubt himself but realizes his mistake. Comparing Rion to Chihaya, Taichi moves his cards. That seems to do the trick, but will he win? Things look pretty even at the moment. Taichi is determined to beat Chihaya one day and it shows. Even Chihaya is impressed by Taichi’s playing. The match is soon over and - Taichi wins!!!

Taichi reports his win and goes back to the room to get Chihaya. Grabbing her by the arm, he tells her that Arata’s match isn’t over yet. But when he looks back at Chihaya, she’s crying. She’s just so happy that Taichi made Class A and Chihaya congratulates him. It looks like Taichi wants to cry too! He was so focused on getting to Arata’s match that I don’t think he realized what he just accomplished. I am so happy! It’s about time he made Class A!

Episode 24 –

spoiler

Chihaya just can’t stop crying as she congratulates Taichi. He has her stand up and wipes her tears with his shirt. Aww! And once it truly sinks in that Taichi is Class A, Chihaya realizes that he’s a rival. LOL

Sumire sadly watches as Taichi grabs Chihaya’s wrist and drags her off to watch Arata. Kanade saw that and comforts Sumire with the title of a poem, but I don’t think Sumire got it. But the poem was very apt. Tsukuba is doing well in his match and may actually win.

Taichi hopes they can get into the room as they run up the stairs, but at the top, Chihaya pulls away from him. She tells him that she is going back to cheer Komano on and she isn’t sure why. She feels scared. An official tells them that there is no more space available in the room. However, when the Fujisaki coach appears with one of her team members and requests admittance, room is found for her and she offers to take Chihaya and Taichi in as well.

Chihaya is struck by the intensity when the door is opened and feels as if she’s underwater. It’s painful to her and she sees that Arata has five cards left to Shinobu’s eleven. Nishida notices Chihaya and Taichi in the room and goes over the beginning of the match in his mind, wishing they could have seen it. Arata is still amazing! And the Queen is a good opponent for him. It’s another extremely tense match. And Chihaya is once again struck by the way that Arata plays.

The many watchers believe that Arata may just have the skill to unseat Master Suo, and can they believe that the Queen is going down as well. She is actually sweating! But she steps up her game and things become more even. The cards are now four to seven but still in Arata’s favor. In the end, Arata wins by two cards. He beat the Queen! It’s her first loss and she can only smile in front of the audience, but I bet she’s seething inside. Shinobu is breathing heavy and Arata feels her forehead, telling her that she has a fever. Will she blame that for her loss? Arata is pretty amazed that she even made it through the match.

The Queen was happy to play such a strong opponent. She’s still the Queen! I don’t think Chihaya liked that Arata felt Shinobu’s forehead and I don’t think Taichi liked it much that Chihaya didn’t like it. But Chihaya was totally blown away by the match and I know she wanted to be part of it. It’s sad that there is only one more episode. This story is the best and I hope there will be another season down the road.

Episode 25 –

spoiler

Arata’s parents really don’t want Arata to attend school in Tokyo, but that was the agreement. His parents are funny and I like how his mother doesn’t want to be stuck at home with just her husband. Taichi is also amazed that Arata won the individual match and even beat the Queen. Arata comes over to congratulate Taichi on his match as well, but Taichi is still a little too dumbfounded to respond.

I liked how Chihaya congratulated him – by pulling him down to the floor! She continues to hold on to his shirt as she asks him how he can play so calmly and keep smiling. Before he can answer her, the winners are called to the ceremony downstairs. Chihaya is positive there is something wrong with the way she plays, but can’t quite put her finger on it.

The awards are handed out and I loved the look on the Queen’s face when Arata received his! LOL In addition to Taichi, Komano and Tsukuba also won their matches. Chihaya cheers for her teammates and others members of the audience think that Mizusawa is a force to be reckoned with. Sadly, it was Chihaya’s plan to win every class and she was the only one that lost. It hurts that she couldn’t do it.

As the team leaves, the Fujisaki coach offers a video of the Class A final to Chihaya and gives Chihaya her e-mail. Midori also sees what strong plays Arata and Taichi are. Back home, Chihaya has her hand checked out and the doctor sends her to another hospital. That doctor orders a MRI for her hand. It turns out that Chihaya has Enchondromatosis – a rare bone disorder. Thankfully, it’s only in one finger. She tells her teammates about it and they are very concerned. She will most likely need an operation as well – if she wants to keep playing karuta.

The operation will require Chihaya to be in the hospital for a while and she’s naturally scared. But she wants to be able to play karuta without any worries. She wants the operation. After she’s settled into her hospital room, she plays the Class A final on a laptop that she borrowed from her sister. The little old ladies that are her roommates can’t understand her intense concentration which was funny. If they only knew Chihaya a little better! LOL

Arata is checking out a magazine of her sister when Chihaya calls him. But I’m not sure what she wants unless it’s to continue their conversation from the tournament. Meanwhile, her teammates are preparing to visit her and argue over what they should bring her. Looks like they will be getting her individual gifts and Taichi chooses flowers. Chihaya tells Arata that she wants to get better at karuta. She tells him that she’s been working really hard and that it hurts. She feels that Arata is too far away and begins to cry.

Arata tells Chihaya his secret. He always thinks of them playing when they were little. That must be why he always smiles. Chihaya is touched and has a fond memory as well. This is what makes Arata so strong? She really doesn’t understand and this is when her teammates arrive. Taichi instinctively knows who she’s talking to too. She says that she will always love karuta – and Arata. But I think she means that she loves him as a friend and part of her karuta world.

The operation was a success, but there will be pain and I’m still worried for Chihaya’s future karuta playing. She tries a practice swing and gets scolded by the doctor and nurse. Only Chihaya! LOL And she still has to stay in the hospital for a week and do her homework as well. One assignment is to compose twenty poems, which shouldn’t be hard for her considering her hobby, but it is. She remembers Kanade telling her to “translate your feelings into meter”. But she told Chihaya other things as well, which totally intimidated her! Chihaya just can’t think of anything and I wonder why she doesn’t write about karuta, her passion.

Her mind again wanders back to Arata’s room when they were kids. Taichi and Kanade visit and find Chihaya struggling with her homework. They read one of her poems which was pretty hysterical. But she also wrote a couple with that childhood memory in mind, which were quite beautiful. Kanade can see Arata behind those words. On the way home, Taichi tells Kanade that he’s happy with Chihaya’s progress and that she’ll probably be able to play in the fall tournament. But Kanade has other things on her mind and tells Taichi that he has to try harder. I guess we know what side Kanade is on! LOL

Kanade knows that Taichi has feelings for Chihaya and would like to see him visit her alone. And she also knows that Chihaya is clueless about those feelings. But Taichi knows all this already. Chihaya keeps watching that Class A final and the nurse catches her practice swinging again. LOL Chihaya calls Midori to thank her for the video and to ask for her thoughts on the match. Midori analyzes both Arata’s and the Queen’s style of playing. It’s a bit overmuch, but Chihaya appreciates it.

Midori then invites Chihaya and the Mizusawa team to the Fujisaki karuta training camp. Chihaya jumps at the chance, but how is she going to participate? Her hand still needs to heal. When the time comes, Chihaya and Taichi are the only ones that can go. But this was Kanade’s plan to get them alone together. And Chihaya still can’t use her hand for another month. She tells Taichi that karuta is all she can think about and Taichi tells her that they can only go forward.

I enjoyed the season recap during the end credits. Afterwards, Arata tells his co-worker that he hopes to get to Tokyo on a karuta scholarship. I do hope there will be another season. I still want to see Chihaya become Queen. I’d also like to see the three friends together again. But I’m not sure how things with work out with Taichi’s feelings. There is definitely more story to be told. It’s still one of the best series ever!