Cowboy Bebop / Cowboy Bebop: The Movie

Cowboy Bebop

Genres: action, drama, science fiction
Themes: bounty hunters, space
Objectionable content: Intense
Plot Summary: Spike Spiegel, a bounty Hunter with a dark past, lives on bounty to bounty, barely making it each time, or not making it at all. His partners Jet Black, Faye Valentine, Ed and Ein the dog all help him in his adventures from planet to planet.
Number of episodes: 26
Vintage: 1998-04-03 to 1998-06-19 (first run, 12 eps); 1998-10-23 to 1999-04-23 (second run, full 26 eps)

ANN Info Page

Episodes on Adult Swim
  1. Session #1: Asteroid Blues (September 1, 2001)
  2. Session #2: Stray Dog Strut (September 1, 2001)
  3. Session #3: Honky Tonk Women (September 8, 2001)
  4. Session #4: Gateway Shuffle (September 8, 2001)
  5. Session #5: Ballad of Fallen Angels (September 22, 2001)
  6. Session #6: Sympathy for the Devil (December 15, 2001) shown out of order
  7. Session #7: Heavy Metal Queen (September 22, 2001)
  8. Session #8: Waltz For Venus (December 22, 2001) shown out of order
  9. Session #9: Jamming With Edward (September 29, 2001)
  10. Session #10: Ganymede Elegy (September 29, 2001)
  11. Session #11: Toys in the Attic (October 6, 2001)
  12. Session #12: Jupiter Jazz Part I (October 6, 2001)
  13. Session #13: Jupiter Jazz Part II (October 13, 2001)
  14. Session #14: Bohemian Rhapsody (October 13, 2001)
  15. Session #15: My Funny Valentine (October 20, 2001)
  16. Session #16: Black Dog Serenade (October 20, 2001)
  17. Session #17: Mushroom Samba (October 27, 2001)
  18. Session #18: Speak Like a Child (October 27, 2001)
  19. Session #19: Wild Horses (November 3, 2001)
  20. Session #20: Pierrot le Fou (November 3, 2001)
  21. Session #21: Boogie Woogie Feng Shui (November 10, 2001)
  22. Session #22: Cowboy Funk (February 14, 2002) shown out of order
  23. Session #23: Brain Scratch (November 10, 2001)
  24. Session #24: Hard Luck Woman (November 17, 2001)
  25. Session #25: The Real Folk Blues Part I (November 17, 2001)
  26. Session #25: The Real Folk Blues Part II (November 24, 2001)

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie

Genres: action, drama, science fiction
Themes: bounty hunters, space, terrorists
Plot Summary: As the Cowboy Bebop crew travels the stars, they learn of the largest bounty yet, a huge 300 million oolongs. Apparently, someone is wielding a hugely powerful chemical weapon, and of course the authorities are at a loss to stop it. The war to take down the most dangerous criminal yet forces the crew to face a true madman, with bare hope to succeed.
Vintage: 2001

ANN Info Page

I happened to notice that we didn’t have a thread on this, so I figured I’d make one.
And for those that haven’t seen it yet (or want to watch it again), I also happen to notice this morning that the Cowboy Bebop: The Movie is on Starz VOD currently.

Wow, thank you very much. To be honest, hadn’t even known our tv had this service until I saw you say Cowboy Bebop was on VOD. Can’t wait to see the movie, can’t say I even knew it had a movie to it.

Just to let you know the movie is not a sequel. Its set during the series between episode 22 and 23.

Can it be viewed as a stand alone work, or would you need to have seen the series?

spoiler

You don’t really need to see the series, but they help in the understanding of all the characters a lot more. The movie doesn’t really build character a lot or the way they know the characters. Like the indian farseer, the 3 old guys, or jets cop friend.

AS FAR AS THE MAIN PLOT GOES, YES, NOT ALL THE WAY, BUT THERE IS A LARGE BIT YOU CAN KEEP AS THE STANDALONE…IF YOU WATCHED IT AND TRIED NOT TO THINK ABOUT THE SERIES AND MAKE CONNECTIONS IN THE MOVIE ALONE, WOULD YOU THINK IT COULD STAND ALONE?

They expect you already know the characters so you will not get any character background. I think you will still find it a fun movie.

Yeah like others have said other then won’t have as much attachment to the characters it’s pretty standalone even though it takes place between episodes 22 and 23.

IIRC, I watched the movie first and was able to follow it fine. True, you get more out of it if you have seen the series, but it isn’t necessary. This movie was what got me back into anime about 6 or 7 years ago.

Watched the movie yesterday.

Like the series, I didn’t really like it very much.
I think my opinion of this series might have been different had I actually watched it when it came out, but I can’t really unwatch what I’ve already seen so my opinion of this series as a whole is rather low.

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie

Encore Action
Tomorrow, Sunday, July 11
11:50am ET/10:50am CT

I recorded the first showing on Starz Edge HD and watched it yesterday. I can see why everyone likes Cowboy Bebop. BTW, I had no trouble following the plot at all. I might not completely understand the entire backstory of the whole crew but I caught on to the basic relationships quickly. I’ll have to catch up on Cowboy Bebop sometime soon.

I would definitly recommend that dude. That was one of the first shows I followed, back in the day when [as] was good.

I have the series on dvd. It was one of my better buys. I still need to catch the movie.

Faye Valentine is available at the end of the series for sure.

Image Entertainment to Reissue Cowboy Bebop Anime Film

posted on 2010-09-30 12:05 EDT

Cowboy Bebop Movie’s U.S. Blu-ray Slated for June

posted on 2011-03-06 11:00 EST

That is a fair price, might buy it for a friend as a gift.

I’m thinking about watching this on Adult Swim, is it good?

It is still one of my favorite series.