Cowboy Bebop Live-Action

BTS: On the Bebop Ship With Mustafa Shakir | Cowboy Bebop | Netflix

ANN Review - Cowboy Bebop Live-Action

by Steve Jones, Nov 24th 2021

Finished this.

Nope!
One time is enought.
Won’t be revisiting this anytime soon, if ever.
Like the Bleach or FMA live action movies, once is enough.
At least the anime is on there.

1 Like

Daniella Pineda Plays Cowboy Bebop Superlatives | Netflix

Is the movie also on there? I’m not sure that I ever saw the Bebop movie in its entirety.

Although until you mentioned it, I had forgotten (repressed?) that I had seen the FMA live-action film :wink:

And it’s canceled……

2021-12-10T00:12:00Z

2021-12-10T14:56:00Z

2 Likes

I see a lot of blame being cast on Anime fans for getting this canceled.
It was canceled because the streaming numbers took a huge nose dive and Netflix logically considered going into another season a financial no no.

A lot of people gave it a chance and it sounds like the script was a major part of the issue they had with it. Someone in the production staff apparently said they fixed what was wrong with the story. Ummm what they considered wrong may be why Cowboy Bebop in Anime form worked.

I think if they want a good anime to live action conversion they need to go with comedy/drama/romance types. The point of the original contents are a lot harder to mess up on.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s always a red flag for me, I can get changing some things, for example, in High School of the Dead’s anime adaptation the show runner actually had Saeko’s and Takashi’s solo jaunt earlier in the story because he wanted the Takagi mansion undead attack to be the finale, mainly because all of the characters would be involved in it and the stakes were appropriately high for the finale.In the long run it didn’t change the story in any significant way and it built up to an appropriate climax.

Just changing certain aspects of the story because you think it’s wrong is always a bad move. The goal is to always be as true to the author’s vision as possible, within the constraints of the media you are using to tell the story.

I mean look at Brynhildr in the Darkness’s anime adaptation, quite a few of the staff members were vocal to the showrunner about him rushing because he just had to have the fight between Kuroha and Mako to be his climax and basically skipped like 130 chapters in the manga because that’s what he wanted and the show really suffered because of it.

4 Likes

The show came off as ‘campy, Tarantino/Rodriquez grindhouse’ which is not what the anime was all about. This quote from the article sums it up nicely.

“This version turns that poetry into kitsch, which is fun but doesn’t land with the same weight: If the anime was Christopher Nolan’s take on Batman, this one would be Joel Schumacher’s.”

Best adaptation for me so far has to be Alita Battle Angel.

4 Likes

See You Later, Space Cowboy!

1 Like

It still gets me how Alita goes from innocent and winsome to ripping people apart in the span of a single scene change, it’s like something was cut, but it is a fun movie. And it’s in 3D to boot :slight_smile:

As soon as I heard that Netflix had bloated Bebop into 50 minute episodes, I knew the writing was on the wall. With the exception of their “true successor” to the Avatar: The Last Airbender series, The Dragon Prince, I haven’t seen many–any?–Netflix Originals that didn’t have sludge pacing.

I’ve always been more partial to Outlaw Star than Cowboy Bebop, though it has been a while since I’ve seen either, and it looks like now we can say that Outlaw Star got the superior live action adaptation with Firefly. :wink: Though River Tam left room for improvement, just saiyan

2 Likes

Warning - contains spoilers

2021-12-25T20:00:00Z

2021-12-26T03:25:00Z

2021-12-27T21:30:00Z

2022-01-23T21:00:00Z

Live-Action Cowboy Bebop’s John Cho Shares Disappointment Over Show’s Cancelation

posted on 2022-03-03 14:45 EST by Kim Morrissy
“It was very shocking and I was bummed.”

Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show’s Title Sequence Nominated for Primetime Emmy Award

posted on 2022-07-13 04:47 EDT by Rafael Antonio Pineda
Netflix series debuted last November

Shinichiro Watanabe Spills the Tea on the Live-Action Cowboy Bebop

posted on 2023-01-27 10:58 EST by Kim Morrissy
“If I saw that producer, I would just punch him in the face.”

1 Like