Deadman Wonderland

[size=16]Deadman Wonderland[/size]

[quote]Genres: action, drama, horror, supernatural, thriller
Themes: conspiracy, fighting, human weapon, prison, superpowers
Objectionable content: Intense
Plot Summary: Ganta Igarashi has been convicted of a crime that he hasn’t committed, and sent to a new, privately owned and operated prison, where the inmates are the main attraction in a modern day twist to the gladiatorial coliseums of ancient times. Throw in a healthy dose of weird little girl, some new-found super powers, and a little conspiracy theory, and you have Deadman Wonderland.
Number of episodes: 12
Vintage: 2011-04-16 to 2011-07-02[/quote]
ANN Info Page

Adult Swim Viewings

1. Death Row Inmate (May 26, 2012)
  2. Antidote ~ Candy (June 2)
  3. G Block (June 9)
  4. Crow Claw (June 16)
  5. Carnival Corpse (June 23)
  6. Hummingbird (June 30)
  7. Wretched Egg (July 7)
  8. Scar Chain (July 14)
  9. Worm Eater (July 21)
  10. Undertaker (July 28)
  11. Gig of Despair (August 4)
  12. Grateful Dead (August 12, 2012)

Been reading the Manga and so far have enjoyed it so looking forward to the Anime. Hopefully The Anime Network picks it up for their Spring/Summer Simulcast(HINT). If not hopefully some legit site does.

###Crunchyroll to Simulcast Deadman Wonderland Action Anime
posted on 2011-03-30 16:04 EDT
Adaptation of manga to stream 1/2 hour after Japanese broadcast

Actually if you follow Crunchyroll there are some shows that Crunchyroll has helped develop. If you look on 5 millimeters per second Crunchyroll actually helped develop that dvd. If you don’t believe me look on the picture by the name. Their name is posted on it. I really think that what no anime company gets Crunchyroll might just release the title themselves. I am highlighting might. It is a possibility but you are right it won’t be dubbed.

I’m well aware they re-released 5cm Per Second. Trust me, there was a lot of controversy around their decision to not include the original dub and only utilize the (widely considered) inferior Bang Zoom dub. However that’s only been one property out of dozens they have streamed and it hasn’t even been released yet. The street has been repeatedly pushed back and now sits at April 26th.

Also, releasing a DVD is not the same as helping develop a show. Assisting with the development and production is something like
ADV did with Elfen Lied and Kino’s Journey (among many, many others.) Just licensing the show for streaming or DVD distribution isn’t developing a show.

I have been reading the series lately and i really got into it. I had randomly picked it up from the bookstore and basically judged it by the cover and some skimming through the pages. I wasn’t dissapointed at all. I had hoped that they would turn it into an anime also, and untill just now I had no idea that they were going to :smiley: I am officially verry excited, and hope that it turns out to be as good as the manga. ( cause I know that many manga are better than the anime) ( But not all) :woohoo:

There is also a PV that was uploaded to Crunchyroll

I like the animation, especially for the weapons.

Looks like someone reported my image. Wonder if it was CR?

Guess I’ll have to find something else.

Deadman Wonderland sounds crazy. I just might give it a try. I just have to wait a week I think. I can’t wait :).

After actually watching the PV, I think this might be a little interesting.
Though I’ll reserve judgement until after I see a few eps. since it really doesn’t grab me as of yet.

I was really interested in the manga, but haven’t got around to picking up any volumes yet. I will likely check out the anime. However, I have to say I’m a bit disappointed to see CR pick it up, because it means we are less likely to get a physical release (let alone a dubbed one.) But Sentai has picked up quite a few CR series, so maybe we will get lucky.

[quote=dragonrider_cody]
I was really interested in the manga, but haven’t got around to picking up any volumes yet. I will likely check out the anime. However, I have to say I’m a bit disappointed to see CR pick it up, because it means we are less likely to get a physical release (let alone a dubbed one.) But Sentai has picked up quite a few CR series, so maybe we will get lucky.[/quote]

It’s a good read so far. Volume 2 and 3 the story started dipping a little ,but by the end of 3 and all of 4 it got back going. If Deadman Wonderland Anime sticks to the same level of violence as the manga I predict it could very well be the HSOTD of this season. Which makes it all the more shame CR picked it up.

I to was hoping Sentai would be the ones to pick it up. Person picking shows lately seems to have a raging hard on for fanservice though. Hoping the reason is they are getting them cheap as bundle packages and not they think that is what everyone wants because a few shows did well. Hope they remember a large part of ADV’s catalog in those last years was Fanservice and well we know where that went. Sure it sells ,but if that is all you rely on you end up having to sell stuff so cheap your customers even wonder how your making a profit. If your wondering whom I’m talking about I give a hint. Look at the current deal at rightstuf and for the slow here is another it’s all just gimped. :wink:

Most of this just might be my raging disappointment in whom got the title or that what I am expecting the other two to get is just making me facepalm so hard my hand phased through my skull and is now stuck in the back of my chair.

The promos have been posted finally.

I like the song from Nirgilis in the Ending Vesion PV. It sounds almost like Eureka Seven is continuing. The animation of both PVs was awesome. This series is looking like a good series to watch.

Episode 1 –

[details=spoiler]To think that you are living a normal life one minute, making plans with your friends, and then you are living a nightmare where everyone is dead and you are charged with mass murder. But it does seem like some kind of set-up and no wonder Ganta went crazy in the courtroom when they pronounced the death sentence on him. And a faked video seals the deal. Why would someone want him framed this way?

The concept of a prison also being an amusement park is strange and the prisoners star in the attractions – even stranger. I also wonder why the lawyer looks to be part of the prison and is plotting to kill Ganta before his actual execution. It also looks like the real killer gave Ganta some kind of power. And perhaps he has found a friend in Shiro. The collars that the prisoners wear are interesting too. It looks like they are powered by candy which keeps the prisoners alive! I will definately keep watching this one.[/details]

[quote=LadyOfWicca]
Episode 1 –

[details=spoiler]To think that you are living a normal life one minute, making plans with your friends, and then you are living a nightmare where everyone is dead and you are charged with mass murder. But it does seem like some kind of set-up and no wonder Ganta went crazy in the courtroom when they pronounced the death sentence on him. And a faked video seals the deal. Why would someone want him framed this way?

The concept of a prison also being an amusement park is strange and the prisoners star in the attractions – even stranger. I also wonder why the lawyer looks to be part of the prison and is plotting to kill Ganta before his actual execution. It also looks like the real killer gave Ganta some kind of power. And perhaps he has found a friend in Shiro. The collars that the prisoners wear are interesting too. It looks like they are powered by candy which keeps the prisoners alive! I will definately keep watching this one.[/details][/quote]

Episode 2 explains quite a bit more. I am really enjoying it so far too. I love the guards in the furries outfits!

Episode 2 –

[details=spoiler]Shiro is so funny – I liked how she got herself wrapped up in the bandages in the infirmary as Ganta was learning some of the rules. He also finds out about “cast points” and “candy”. Ganta better be careful. He is too trusting and this new friend of his is an informant. But I think he wakes up a bit after meeting Kouzuji and witnessing some prison violence. Ganta finds out that his collar administers poison and he needs to have candy - which is really an antidote - every three days or he will die.

That Dog Race was something else! Nice to tell the spectators it’s all a show, but it really isn’t and inmates really die trying to get cast points to survive. Reminds me a little of “The Running Man“. Shiro plays dumb, but I think she is a lot smarter than she looks. It looks like she saved Ganta a couple of times during the race. And I think Ganta finally realizes it too. In the end he saves Shiro instead of grabbing the ball that will make him the winner and Shiro looked really surprised that he would do that. The next day is his third day and I wonder what he will do without candy.[/details]

Episode 3 –

[details=spoiler]What a coincidence that Yoh is now Ganta’s cellmate and he conveniently has candy for Ganta too. Now Ganta owes him and I think that is just want Yoh wanted. Ganta faces the Red Man again but his new powers cannot defeat him. Since the Red Man gave him those powers, I’m sure he’s pretty much immune to them. But now Tamaki has also witnessed Ganta’s power and calls it “Branches of Sin”.

I like how the Red Man is also called Wretched Egg and is contained by the Mother Goose System – kind of innocent for something so dangerous. I think this warden is just a big kid playing with toys all the time and he created Deadman Wonderland for his own amusement. I can see him as a bad little boy torturing and killing animals for fun and now as an adult in this place he can do the same thing with people.

I think Yoh has given up on getting close to Ganta for the warden, but I don’t think Tamaki is going to let him walk away from this job. And Tamaki is happy he’s found another “player” – I’m just not sure for what. Captain Makina seems to be unaware of what is going on and holds Ganta responsible for the latest incident.

Now that Ganta has found out where the Red Man might be, I have a feeling he will try to find him. And it looks like Makina is going to send a killer robot after him. Yoh is with the warden and he gives Yoh a lot of cast cards to stay with Ganta. He also mentions the “true” Deadman Wonderland.

Ganta is looking for the Red Man and Shiro has tagged along but the prison is on lockdown and Yoh soon catches up to them. He tells Ganta that it’s impossible for a prisoner to escape and that there is no “G” block within the prison. I don’t think he believes that Ganta is innocent in killing his friends either. Shiro claims to know where G-block is. The killer robot shows up and thanks to Shiro, they escape it. But not for long

I wonder how Yoh disabled the robot. Nice! And far beneath the prison Shiro leads them to G-block! The robot shows up again, shooting missiles this time. It looks like a secret passage opens and they are saved. Once they disappear, Captain Makina realizes that there is more to the prison that she knows nothing about. But it looks like the robot is still with them and Shiro destroys it. Or did she? The robot comes back and focuses on Shiro, but can’t identify her, listing her as an unknown with no number. Ganta tries to save Shiro with his power, but nothing happens and is this the real Red Man that shows up to save them?![/details]

Yowza!
I knew this was going to be one of those shows that you can’t believe the amounts of gratuitous violence in it but episode 5…

spoiler

When Crow looses to Ganta and the penalty round takes his right eye?!?! I couldn’t believe it even with the censorship that was bad. Not to mention the look of orgasmic joy on the doctors face as she does it. I thought that was the worst of it for that particular episode but then we find out Shiro has her own special power, apparently when she stops hearing the lullaby she snaps, not quite sure what it is yet though. I have a feeling this is only going to get worse and by that I mean freaking great!!!

Episode 4 –

[details=spoiler]Although this man destroys the robot, he is not the Red Man. But he keeps calling Ganta Woodpecker and Ganta learns that he needs blood to release his Branches of Sin. Senji or “Crow” is disappointed in Ganta as an opponent. This angers Ganta enough to fight him and get revenge for his dead friends, still believing him to be the Red Man.

Crow tells Ganta that G-block is full of Deadmen like himself and tries to attack him again, but Shiro saves him. Crow seems fearful of Shiro and tries to give her his jacket to cover up with. It was funny when she got insulted by this and Crow was embarrassed that her breasts were swinging around. But then they are captured and Shiro becomes a raving lunatic thinking that they may have hurt Ganta.

Tamaki has Yoh released, but then he is told that Shiro doesn’t have a number, he doesn’t seem to mind so much. I really wonder who Shiro is. She makes a very strange prisoner, roaming around freely and not having to wear a uniform or collar like everyone else. Yoh tries to make sense of the existence of G-block. Shiro and Yoh are sent back to the main prison, but Ganta wakes up in an examination room. He’s stricken to find out that his “lawyer” is there and Tamaki just smiles. He tells Ganta who he is and that he often uses such tricks to get people he wants to his prison.

He tells Ganta that he will be fighting Crow the next day and may even get to see the Red Man at some point if he wins. Tamaki also tells Ganta that the Red Man allowed him to live during the massacre. He tells Ganta that the Red Man is the Wretched Egg and that he is the source for the Branches of Sin. Now Ganta wants to kill the both Tamaki and the Red Man.

But Ganta is told that he will be appearing in the Corpse Carnival – an experiment for all the Branches of Sin carriers and a battle to the death. Tamaki tortures him with scenes from the Carnival. Meanwhile, Makina, angry that she doesn’t know everything about the prison, goes to pay a visit to the Director without going through the Promoter. I feel really sorry for Ganta getting thrown into this world and I wonder if he will survive.[/details]