Deadman Wonderland

Episode 5 –

[details=spoiler]Tamaki tells Ganta that he will be in the Carnival of Corpses and if he wins, he will get candy and casts. However, if he loses, he will die and get dissected for experimental parts. Makina arrives at the Director’s room and is turned away by his twin bodyguards. Shiro is really worried about Ganta and wants to find a way back to him.

The carnival has begun and I think it’s funny that not only are the combatants given bird’s names, but they also hold this contest in a bird cage with a dead tree in it! Crow and Woodpecker face each other and I have no idea how Ganta will survive this fight. He runs from Crow and climbs the tree. I don’t think he can get his power to work.

Then it suddenly does and Crow does an amazing job of avoiding Ganta’s attacks. They seem rather weak anyway and then Ganta begins to pass out from blood loss. Tamaki seems happy that Ganta will die either way. Crow cuts down the tree and Ganta with it. It’s really cool the way Crow can change his blades. But I think Ganta has really had it. Nice how Tamaki says that he has no use for toys that break.

Ganta has a flash from his childhood about being weak and Shiro is there! No wonder it seems like she knew him! But as Shiro tells Yoh, the cool thing about Ganta is that he always gets back up. So, maybe this fight isn’t over yet! Ganta finally get angry enough to live and the blood pours out of his multiple wounds. He distracts Crow by knocking down the announcer’s bird speaker and while Crow deals with that, Ganta is able to get right next to Crow and hits him at point blank range. Crow goes down and Woodpecker has won!

But now there is another mystery. Yoh is looking for a girl and it seems that she is also in G-block. So back to G-block Yoh and Shiro go. It was really amusing having Shiro as Ganta’s cheerleader too. She is really cute sometimes, but I still don’t know what to make of her.

Ganta is the unhappy winner of the Corpse Carnival, but Crow has survived as well. Ganta thinks they may yet become friends. Then he has to watch the post game penalty show and sees Crow tied to a chair. A slot machine is brought in that has body parts on the dials and I have a really bad feeling about this. The doctor pulls the lever and the dials spin. Crow calmly watches and says “stop”. The dials stop on “right eye” and Crow’s chair is lowered.

The doctor seemed to enjoy cutting out Crow’s right eye without any type of pain killer. Gruesome! And it seems that Tamaki will dissect his Deadmen whether they are dead or alive. Ganta becomes physically sick and I didn’t care for that eye-cutting scene much either. Next, Shiro breaks into the guard tower. Power is cut and Shiro says that the lullaby has stopped. More guards show up and Yoh sees the tower explode and body parts rain down on him. I agree with the guard – just what the hell is Shiro?

As Ganta continues to be ill, Yoh looks up at the ruined tower to see Shiro standing there. She no longer looks like an innocent kid. She stands there with one hand burning and the other holding a human head. Her body suit is torn and shows multiple scars. It looks as if she was sewn together just like Frankenstein’s monster but even so, she still has an innocent child-like face. Just as Ganta comes to the conclusion that the place he’s in is insane, Shiro looks down on Yoh and with a cut on her face that is burning and bleeding, she gives him an insane smile. Perhaps she is a monster after all.[/details]

I am liking this series more and more as the episodes are aired in Japan. It’s one of the series that I plan on watching every Saturday as my normal anime watching.

Episode 6 –

[details=spoiler]As Yoh watches Shiro return to normal and fall into the ruins, he sees the Director’s bodyguards pick her up and carry her away. Puzzled but more concerned with his own problems, he sneaks back into G-block, looking for someone named Minatsuki.

Meanwhile, although he is worried about Yoh and Shiro, it seems that Ganta has found another friend. Her name is Minatsuki and her room is filled with flowers. She is a shy, pretty girl that doesn’t seem to belong there any more than Ganta does. Minatsuki tells him that they are only there because of their powers and that people hurt them. She seems to want Ganta to comfort her, but he changes the subject by telling her that the flowers smell good. Then she opens her dress and shows Ganta her back, telling him that her violent father abused her. One day he went too far and she used her power to kill him. She speaks of her kind brother that always protected her and this has to be Yoh.

It was funny when she turned back to Ganta and her dress falls to her waist. The red-faced Ganta suggests that they escape. He tells her that they can use their power to run away together. Minatsuki doesn’t want to hurt anyone, so Ganta promises to protect her and she smiles at him. They make a break for it but are caught by guards that call them Woodpecker and Hummingbird and Ganta finds out that he is supposed to fight Minatsuki the following day in the carnival.

The next day, Minatsuki and Ganta face each other in the arena and Ganta apologizes to her, knowing that neither one of them want to be there. He promises not to hurt her, but Hummingbird has already let loose her branches of Sin by ripping the earrings from her ears. She calls her power “Whip Wing” and reveals her true personality to Ganta. Gone is the shy maiden and in her place is a psychopath that is determined to win. Ganta realizes that she was just putting on an act and this angers him.

He attacks her, but is called by one of the guards. Turning, he sees that it is Yoh and that he doesn’t want Ganta to fight his sister. Yoh is surprised to find that his sister is a Deadman and Minatsuki is surprised to see her brother there at all. She reverts to her nicer self, wondering what he is doing there. As the guards restrain him, he promises to buy her freedom with his cast points. The guards then put him in the cage and it looks like Minatsuki will go crazy again. Meanwhile, Tamaki hopes the audience enjoys the unfolding soap opera and will fund more “toys” for him.

Minatsuki once again puts on an act, this time for her brother and blames Ganta for everything, before running to him for protection. But Yoh already knows what she is doing and up until recently thought her innocent of killing their father. Now he knows better, but still loves and wants to protect his sister. However, the insane Hummingbird rejects his feelings and attacks Yoh as well. Ganta interrupts her beating of her brother and explains why Yoh did what he did for her and how he still considers Yoh his friend.

Then Hummingbird turns on him and Ganta has no choice but to counter. However, Minatsuki is using her brother as a shield and not wanting to hurt him, Ganta misses. She attacks again but this time, Yoh speaks of their mother. Minatsuki tells him that during the earthquake, their mother saved her precious flowers and left her daughter to die and I wonder if she killed her mother as well.

She attacks both Yoh and Ganta and suddenly Ganta gets in one good shot, hitting Hummingbird and releasing Yoh. He tries to talk to Minatsuki and gets close enough to headbutt her. She goes down and the match is over, but the bloodthirsty crowd is disappointed at the lack of fighting and blood. They call for Ganta to kill Hummingbird and I really enjoyed Ganta’s response! Then he realizes that he’s talking just like Hummingbird was and stops. But now I’m sure Hummingbird will be on that penalty show and I wonder what body part she will lose.

Woodpecker is announced as the winner and it seems the Director – listed as “no name” during the carnival - has Shiro with him in his room. He asks if she’s awake and ready to make his dreams come true. He says that the lullaby has stopped and I wonder why he has a picture of Ganta and Shiro when they were children. The episode ends with Shiro opening her eyes and I don’t think I want to know what is going to happen![/details]

This show is getting so good!!! Episode 7 just quadrupled the questions I have about what the hell is going on but it is awesome.

Shiro can’t be the Red Man can she?!?!

Froggy - I am beginning to think so!

Episode 7 –

[details=spoiler]It seems that Shiro has a split personality. And the Director can also use the Branches of Sin, although perhaps his is a false power since he’s hooked up to machines.

Ganta feels a pain in his chest and the facility is rocked by an earthquake. Ganta suddenly has memories of his childhood and remembers Shiro as well. Shiro begins to hear the lullaby again – which sounds like the same song the teacher played on the piano when they were little. And that drawing of Ganta’s looks a lot like the Red Man!

The Director calls Shiro the “Wretched Egg” and that looks like the Red Man outfit she puts on. I wonder if she is the Red Man. It seems like a very good possibility. The costume is a copy of one that Ganta’s favorite character, Ace Man wore when Ganta was little and played with his friends.

As the clean-up after the quake goes on, Ganta asks Yoh about Shiro and Yoh only tells him that they had gotten separated after entering G-block. Yoh asks who Shiro is and Ganta admits that he had forgotten, but apparently they had been childhood friends.

It seems that ten years ago, Shiro was already the subject of study and examination. Ganta used to try to cheer her up with pudding and stories of Ace Man. It also looks like Ganta’s mother was one of Shiro’s researchers as well as the one that played the lullaby on the piano. When Ganta is attacked by a dog, Shiro jumps from a window and saves him by landing on the dog. Back in the present, Ganta would like to apologize to her for forgetting her and wonders where she is.

Makina doesn’t think the quake was natural and mentions something called the “Red Hole” that the prison had been built on top of. She knows that things are going on and wants to correct them. Funny that she says she’s “going weasel hunting” and in the very next scene, Tamaki has a feeling that something bad is going to happen! He’s definitely a weasel if ever there was one!

Tamaki asks the doctor for an update on Ganta and she tells him that the crystal in his chest is a “capsule of femtomachines” – something that is called the “Nameless Worm” which matches materials gathered from the Red Hole. She feels that this accounts for people of the Kanto region becoming infected with the Branches of Sin. They become carriers and Tamaki wants to produce more. She says that she can’t because they don’t have Nameless Worm material and its source is the Wretched Egg. She can’t examine the Wretched Egg because the Director protects it. Tamaki agrees that the security surrounding the Wretched Egg and it’s identify is incredible, but he also says that the Director is declining rapidly and soon Deadman Wonderland will be his and that he will “play by his own rules”. I can only imagine!

Ganta looks for Yoh in Minatsuki’s room but he isn’t there and Ganta asks Minatsuki about the penalty show. She tells him that she’s already lost a kidney and her stomach and Ganta wants to put a stop to that show. Minatsuki says that her brother said the same thing before running out and now Ganta does the same. She thinks they are both weird, but Ganta is thinking of buying her release. Then he meets a new character that knocks him out.

Yoh has the same thought to buy his sister’s release and steals back the cast cards that the guards had taken from him. He meets Tamaki in the hallway and Yoh gets introduced to an Ultra Priest. Tamaki tells Yoh that the rules are different in G-block and that he won’t be able to buy his sister’s freedom. He also remind Yoh that the penalty game is about to start. Yoh feels utter despair as Tamaki wonders what the research department will get form the game. Yoh attacks Tamaki and the Ultra Priest, Genkaku, shoots him with something other than bullets. It knocks Yoh to the floor but doesn’t kill him.

Ganta wakes to meet Koshino Karako, a member of “Scar Chain”. She asks Ganta if he’d like to join them. He also meets Scar Chain’s leader, Kengamine Nagi, who believes that Ganta is very much like them. They’re a resistance group that wants to destroy the prison. Ganta would like to talk to them more, but feels that he must stop the penalty show first. But he’s too late, it’s already be broadcast. Kengamine is also known as Owl and he has a phone in his teeth! He makes a call.

Meanwhile, the doctor is happy to see Minatsuki again. She wonders what she will get from Minatsuki and really hopes that she doesn’t have to put her under to get it. This doctor is something else! Minatsuki calls for the machine to stop and the doctor seems surprised. The machine has stopped on “hair”. Owl apparently has the machine rigged! The doctor kicks the machine in anger, saying that shouldn’t even be an option as Minatsuki laughs. Ganta is relieved but Karako hopes that the insane doctor doesn’t come up with a more creative way to take Minatsuki’s hair.

Nagi asks Ganta to join them again, but before he can answer, Genkaku walks in and throws the unconscious Yoh to the floor before shooting the place up and injuring Karako. Nagi goes to her aid as Ganta asks Genkaku who he is. He says that he is an ultra priest that has come to kill him. Ganta attacks him and can’t figure out why the Branches of Sin didn’t work. Genkaku pulls out a guitar and Yoh tells Ganta to run and Genkaku begins to play. The guitar turns into a gun and he promises to save Ganta’s soul.[/details]

Episode 8 –

[details=spoiler]Once again, Shiro makes a grand entrance and saves Ganta, this time with an Ace Man move. She’s come to eat pudding with Ganta and doesn’t seem to see what is going on with Genkaku. Yoh calls her the real monster, while Karako and Nagi wonder who she is.

Genkaku cancels the “show” and leaves. Ganta can’t figure why his Branches of Sin didn’t work. He gets introduced to the rest of the resistance group. There will be a week long inspection where everything shuts down and it looks like Makina will be taking advantage of it as well as Scar Chain. Ganta finds out that Genkaku is one of Tamaki’s special enforcers called Undertakers.

Ganta decides not to join the resistance, since they don’t seem very serious to him. He doesn’t trust them and they don’t trust Ganta. He leaves with Shiro. Tamaki seems to have a plan as well. I see he’s with the Director’s bodyguards, but I can’t figure out why. Unless – was that the Director’s head that he was using as a bowling ball? It was too dark to make out, but I guess if the bodyguards are with him, then the Director must be dead.

It was funny that Crow was upset that he didn’t get in on Ganta’s fight with an Undertaker. But Ganta also learns Owl’s story. They made him face his pregnant wife in the Carnival of Corpses! Tamaki really is a sick individual. And he had her killed anyway. Tamaki probably wanted the baby. I have to feel for Owl. I can see why he leads a resistance.

When next Ganta meets Nagi, he apologizes, saying he wants to find the Red Man, but Nagi says he doesn’t want revenge – he just wants to destroy Deadman Wonderland and wants everyone to be free. Most of all, he wants to hold his child. He says it’s in a nursing facility somewhere outside. I doubt that very much. If there was a child born of two Deadman parents, I’m sure Tamaki has it in his lab – alive or perhaps even dead. Now I really feel for Nagi!

Nagi speaks of freedom, but Shiro doesn’t understand. She’s probably never experienced true freedom. And Ganta can’t understand why Nagi doesn’t want revenge. Ganta wants revenge on the Red Man so badly. He gets the feeling too that Shiro knows nothing of the outside world. She wants snacks and a Ferris wheel. I was amused by her surprise when Ganta told her that she could ride the Ferris wheel. I think he is beginning to see the kind of life Shiro has. He even promises her that they will ride the wheel together when they get out and that makes her very happy. I wonder if this means that he will join Scar Chain after all.

Genkaku wonders who Shiro is as well and he gets a new guitar. And Rokuro is there! Is he really an Undertaker or is he just a traitor? That’s why the recording didn’t show Ganta’s Branches of Sin not working – Rokuro must have altered it! Ganta returns to the Scar Chain hangout and apologizes. It looks like he is going to join with them. But Shiro has followed him and refuses to leave him. He makes her leave by reminding her of his promise of riding the Ferris wheel together. He also tells her to keep everything secret and she agrees and reluctantly leaves.

Karako tries to comfort Shiro by telling her that Ganta doesn’t want to see her get hurt and must love her. Shiro acts surprised at this and asks Karako if Ganta loves her. Karako isn’t sure how to answer and lets Shiro draw her own conclusion. Obviously Shiro thinks Ganta loves her and dances down the hallway. Meanwhile, Nagi’s plan is to show the world what the prison really is. Rokuro hands Nagi a data chip that supposedly contains evidence of all the horrible things that go on at the prison. I bet the chip is either blank or shows nothing other than a model prison facility. The plan is to show this data to the world and Nagi is going to work with Rokuro on taking the control room and doing just that. I have a bad feeling about this!

The alarms go off and the Undertakers are called into action. Nagi gains the control room with Rokuro and it seems they are successful. Ganta is with Karako’s group and she entrusts him with the chip as she sacrifices herself to the acid spitting robot. She tells him that it’s all up to him now. This is so exciting![/details]

Episode 9 –

[details=spoiler]Karako remembers how she first met Nagi and how she came to be his second in command. She is still trying to hold the bridge together and wonders if everyone got across. Realizing they did, she lets the bridge go and turns to face the robot. She tells the robot that even if Nagi’s hopes are just fantasies, she will stand by him. She punches the robot, causing it to explode and dies in the process.

The rest of her group makes it to the elevator and Ganta wonders if Karako will be okay. The others tell him not to worry and that they are all counting on him now. They wait for the elevator to activate and if it does that means that Nagi and Rokuro have succeeded in taking over the control room. In the control room, it seems that Nagi and Rokuro were successful. However, a little girl now enters the control room. She is really cute and wears a back pack that is twice her size and is made to look like a puppy.

Nagi walks over to her and asks what she is doing there. The little girl bows to him and says that she is in second grade and now that her homework is done, she must do her chores. Nagi kneels before her and thinks she must be lost. He tells Rokuro to start the elevator, but keeping his arms crossed, Rokuro just looks at the control that will activate the elevator. This goes unnoticed by Nagi as he tells the little girl that she should come with them.

The little girl just stares at Nagi and he turns around to see a smiling Rokuro. He tells him again to start the elevator Rokuro refuses and when Nagi questions him, he gets a crazy look on his face and tells Nagi that was never the plan. The little girl takes off her back pack and opens it to reveal a huge sword with a bunny rabbit on it. She says that she is the leader of the 3rd Undertaker Platoon and her name is Daida Hibana. Daida tells Nagi that she punishes bad kids and Nagi says that sadly, he will have to make it rain.

Nagi attacks Daida with his Branches of Sin, but it becomes ineffective against Daida’s sword. Just as he expresses surprise, Daida hits him with her sectioned sword. She tells him that his sins will be cleansed and that he will return to normal. Nagi suddenly realizes that Ganta was right and turns to look at Rokuro. He rightly assumes that Rokuro altered the video and Rokuro confirms it. Daida calls her sword “Worm Eater” and explains how it negates the Branches of Sin.

Rokuro offers to arrest Nagi, but Nagi is determined to see his plan succeed. Nagi tries to use his Branches of Sin again, but it’s useless against Daida and her sword and she hits him again. Nagi looks around the room and focuses on the elevator control. Meanwhile the others are still waiting for the elevator to come and are starting to worry that it’s taking too long. Daida is one twisted little girl and I wonder how she got that way.

Daida wants to keep “punishing” Nagi but Genkaku ordered her not to kill Nagi, so since Nagi won’t apologize for his wrongdoing, she will do Lingchi. Rokuro asks her what that is and she tells him that it is an ancient Chinese method of “slow slicing”. Daida says it was an artistic execution method where people were publicly cut to pieces. She tells Nagi what she will do to him and wonders how much she can get away with. Daida swings her sword again and begins to slice Nagi. She says that if she’s careful, she may be able to do over 3,000 cuts.

Daida continues to cut Nagi and tells him that only the initial wounds will bleed. She says that as he becomes more and more frightened, his blood will slow. Rokuro yawns and tells Daida that Nagi will die. But Daida tells him not to worry for pain builds character as her mother had said and from the images that flash on the screen, it seems that Daida may have been abused by her mother. Nagi falls to his knees and recalls hearing of murders in a kindergarten. Daida confirms that “a lady’s duty is to punish the wicked” but Nagi tells her that ladies don’t do things like that. He tells Daida what she really is and Daida has a vision of a hanged woman – perhaps her mother.

Angry and upset now, she continuously attacks Nagi with more force. While this happens, Daida flashes back to her past. A woman is reprimanding her for messing her sheets and says she must be punished. Then she must be punished for throwing up and the descriptions of the punishments are weird, like something out of a fantasy world. For instance, Daida “must repair the three holes in the Battenorrow orbit”. I wonder if she killed her mother as well.

Daida ends up almost completely severing Nagi’s arm and Nagi continues to bait her, pulling off his arm and throwing it at her. This momentarily startles her and Nagi is able to reach Rokuro. He knocks Rokuro unconscious by smashing his head against the wall and reaches for the elevator control. Daida says that he can’t do that and Nagi says she should let him and go deal with the Branches of Sin that are now coming out of his severed arm. He manages to pull the lever just before he falls to the floor.

The others are happy to finally see the elevator and get on it. Ganta is once again warned to hold on to the chip. They speak of what they will do once they reach the outside world and freedom. But this is not meant to be as the elevator continues to rise and Genkaku is there with back-up and guns blazing. Almost all of them are hit and the rest try to use their Branches of Sin against the Undertakers. And of course it’s useless. Everyone is killed or subdued as Ganta watches. He falls to the floor and drops the chip.

Back in the control room, Daida lies on the floor and Rokuro speaks with the dying Nagi, saying that he only had a two percent chance of success. He asks Rokuro if Undertakers were sent to stop the others as well. Rokuro confirms it but Nagi is still confident that the chip will make it outside and the truth will become known. Rokuro says that there is only a .17 percent chance of that happening but Nagi says they have hope on their side. Rokuro says it’s his job to reduce that .17 percent chance to zero. He tells Nagi that Tamaki let things go as far as they did so that would be the case. Then Rokuro tells Nagi that the finale is about to begin.

Ganta is rescued by a resistance member named Kosugi and he tells Ganta to protect the chip at all costs just before he is killed by an Undertaker. Ganta thinks of all the resistance members and how all of their hopes are now pinned on him. He likens their hopes to his own and realizes that now is not the time to be scared. Rokuro and Daida have been retrieved by their fellow Undertakers and Nagi is left in a pool of his own blood. He removes the radio from his teeth and asks for someone to please be there to hear him. Shiro wanders in to the Scar Chain headquarters and finds another girl standing there. She asks who she is and the other girl just smiles.

Another man runs from the Undertakers and is set afire. He runs into a room that contains something flammable. Ganta comes face to face once again with Genkaku. Although he knows it’s futile, he tries to use his Branches of Sin and Genkaku tells him that Ace Man won’t be coming to save him this time. Genkaku tells him that there is another ending to Ace Man where everyone is killed except him. Ganta continues to use his Branches of Sin but it’s useless and Genkaku tells him that there is no hope for him.

Genkaku takes aim at Ganta and a large man puts his hand on Genkaku’s shoulder, telling him it’s time. Genkaku walks away and tells Ganta not to worry. The Undertakers get in the elevator, leaving behind Ganta and three other survivors. They wonder what is going on but decide that this is their chance. Suddenly a pipe bursts open behind them and Shiro pops out. Ganta start to berate Shiro for not staying behind, but gasping, she asks Ganta for the data chip. He shows her the chip and she grabs it and upon seeing the burning room, she tosses the chip in and closes the door. No sooner is this done than an explosion takes place. Her back against the door, Shiro smiles and asks Ganta if he’s okay. I never thought the chip to be a bomb. If that was the case, they should have let Scar Chain go and things would have taken care of themselves.[/details]

[quote]FUNimation Entertainment Brings Deadman Wonderland to DVD in North America

Flower Mound, TX (July 1, 2011) - FUNimation® Entertainment today announced that it will distribute the futuristic action anime “Deadman Wonderland” in North America in 2012. In an agreement with Kadokawa Shoten Co., Ltd., FUNimation will have the home entertainment, broadcast, digital and merchandise rights for the 12-episode series ending its Japanese broadcast run this month.
An adaptation of Jinsei Kataoka and Kazuma Kondou’s Deadman Wonderland manga, the dark story is set after the destruction of most of Tokyo by an earthquake and centers on Ganta Igarashi, a middle school student framed for the murder of his classmates. Igarashi is sentenced to Deadman Wonderland, a bizarre brutal and bloody privately operated prison that is one part incarceration and one part public spectacle – a thoroughly twisted tourist destination!

The series is animated by Manglobe and directed by Koichi Hatsumi.

FUNimation will stream the series via www.funimation.com this year. [/quote]

I’m glad someone got it. Seriously least someone is listening to people. Yes I just praised Funimation for something. I think I feel the earthquakes and see some lava spouting outside. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=psychopuppet]

[quote]FUNimation Entertainment Brings Deadman Wonderland to DVD in North America

Flower Mound, TX (July 1, 2011) - FUNimation® Entertainment today announced that it will distribute the futuristic action anime “Deadman Wonderland” in North America in 2012. In an agreement with Kadokawa Shoten Co., Ltd., FUNimation will have the home entertainment, broadcast, digital and merchandise rights for the 12-episode series ending its Japanese broadcast run this month.
An adaptation of Jinsei Kataoka and Kazuma Kondou’s Deadman Wonderland manga, the dark story is set after the destruction of most of Tokyo by an earthquake and centers on Ganta Igarashi, a middle school student framed for the murder of his classmates. Igarashi is sentenced to Deadman Wonderland, a bizarre brutal and bloody privately operated prison that is one part incarceration and one part public spectacle – a thoroughly twisted tourist destination!

The series is animated by Manglobe and directed by Koichi Hatsumi.

FUNimation will stream the series via www.funimation.com this year. [/quote]

I’m glad someone got it. Seriously least someone is listening to people. Yes I just praised Funimation for something. I think I feel the earthquakes and see some lava spouting outside. :P[/quote]

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while, pp.

Episode 10 –

[details=spoiler]Ganta and the remaining members of Scar Chain are mad at Shiro for destroying the chip. He hits her and knocks her to floor, telling the stunned Shiro that he never wants to see her again. What is left of Scar Chain returns to the hangout and Karako soon joins them. I’ve no idea how she survived, but it’s good she did. Scar Chain is going to need a strong leader.

Karako’s wounds are treated as the others fill her in. Since the inspectors are still there, Karako would like to try again. She convinces everyone that if they work together, it can be done. But when they ask her to be their leader, she refuses, saying that Nagi is still alive. And she’s exactly right! Nagi is currently chained to a chair in Genkaku’s room and Genkaku wants Nagi to join the Undertakers.

Makina has really turned on Tamaki as well. She’s in his office and has hacked in to his computer. Now she is copying all the data files too! I like when her subordinate asks about her diet and she replies that she has “Japanese sake, with a side of wine. Then steak for dessert.” But their file copying is interrupted by Tamaki and an inspector. It seems he’s in league with Tamaki and knows of everything that is going on. Makina and her subordinate, hiding in a closet, are really getting an earful too!

Ganta is still upset with Shiro and the fact that she called him weak in front of everyone. The resistance is trying to come up with another plan quickly, but decide that they need some strong fighters to join them. Ganta offers his services, but because of his inexperience, Karako rejects him. Enter Rokuro! They still don’t know he’s the spy and think he’s still one of them. They are happy to see him alive and try to ask him about Nagi.

However, he cuts them all off and demands to know who amongst them destroyed his plan and who knew that the chip was a bomb. He tells his confused comrades that the chip he created never contained any information on the prison, but was in fact a mini time bomb. As he rants, Ganta realizes that by destroying the chip, Shiro saved them all. And now Rokuro wants to use them all for something else.

Genkaku is still trying to recruit Nagi for the Undertakers and tells him that he’s been trying for two years. Nagi seems surprised to hear this, but still refuses. As Genkaku injects him with something, he asks Nagi if he isn’t concerned about his comrades and is confident that Nagi will change his mind and join the Undertakers. Rokuro announces that Scar Chain will be held hostage until Nagi changes his mind as Genkaku tells Nagi that they will be killed, one by one until he changes his mind. More Undertakers enter the hang out and Rokuro chooses the first to die. His finger points to Ganta of course.

Meanwhile, Shiro is just as angry at Ganta and goes searching for her Grandpa. But she doesn’t know the Director is dead and thinking that he’s sleeping, looks for her cookies instead. Finding the tin, Shiro is happy not to have to share them with Ganta, but as she eats them, she ends up crying instead.

As Scar Chain is secured by the Undertakers, Rokuro seems happy to let Ganta know that it was he that provided the fake video that brought Ganta to this prison. Ganta tries to back away from Rokuro, but trips over himself and falls, giving Rokuro some amusement. He then introduces Ganta to two other Undertakers, Mouzuri Gazuchi and Shinagawa Doukoku and tells Ganta that they will be his executioners. Ganta calls for Shiro as the two Undertakers approach him.

Amazingly Crow shows up just in time and his Branches of Sin seem to work as he takes down both Gazuchi and Doukoku. This gives Karako and the resistance a chance to overtake their captors. She calls out a warning to Crow about the weapons the Undertakers use Rokuro fills in the details for him on how they negate the Branches of Sin. But Crow has a trick up his sleeve – “Crow’s Claws, Invisible Black” - a supersonic blade that works quite well against the Undertakers. Rokuro cowers in fear before him and he explains how his blade works.

Shiro is feeling hurt without Ganta. She once again meets the boy that had warned her about the data chip and tells him what happened and how Ganta hit her. Meanwhile, it looks as if Genkaku has been continually pumping Nagi full of drugs. Nagi holds true to himself and tells Genkaku that they will still destroy Deadman Wonderland and the Undertakers. Genkaku reminds Nagi that after he killed Nagi’s wife, Nagi had killed twenty two Undertakers in a blood bath and wonders how Nagi could have forgotten such a “beautiful memory”. Nagi refuses to believe Genkaku, but he’s also beginning to remember. Genkaku tells him that he witnessed the entire thing while in hiding and tells him that the Undertakers will now welcome him with open arms.

Back in the hangout, the Undertakers are defeated and Rokuro lies tied up on the floor. Ganta berates himself for hitting Shiro and hurting her. It sounds as if he is going mad and Karako tells him that the inmates do eventually go insane and it’s only another reason to destroy Deadman Wonderland. She then asks Crow to join them and the others plead with him as well. Crow refuses, saying that the outside world is just as crazy and that he likes things as they are. Crow tells them that they are all weak and remembering Shiro’s words, Ganta takes it personally and leaves the room. Out in the hallway, I think he’d like to see Shiro coming, but she isn’t.

Shiro is still with the other boy and learns his name is Sakigami Toto aka Mockingbird and he knows that Shiro is the Wretched Egg! He promises not to do anything to Shiro, but I wonder what he does want.[/details]

Episode 11 –

[details=spoiler]With Shiro’s words still ringing in his ears, Ganta begs Crow to teach him how to fight. He breaks down in front of Crow and tells him he wants to become stronger. Crow agrees to train him and his first lesson begins immediately.

Shiro tells Mockingbird that she is Ace Man and can’t feel pain. Yet her cheek still hurts and she thinks Ganta hates her. She’s been eating to fill an emptiness inside, but even her cookies no longer taste good. Mockingbird tries to talk her out of her relationship with Ganta, but Shiro gets worked up to a point where she just wants to go “deck” him and runs off.

Karako says they can’t save Nagi now and have to think of a way out. Apparently she beat up Rokuro to get some safe routes out of him, but also realizes that no route is safe. She also decides to leave Ganta out this time. As what’s left of Scar Chain moves out, Rokuro asks Karako if she’s satisfied. He only gives the group a 32% chance of succeeding – if they don’t meet any Undertakers. However, Karako is determined.

Karako remembers a conversation she once had with Nagi. With his wife dead, he believes his child is somewhere outside and hopes to join her one day. He even carries a locket with his daughter’s picture and shows it to Karako. However, when Karako opens the locket, it is empty, but she plays along with Nagi anyway and says the child looks just like him. How sad this is. Nagi must already be quite insane at this point.

Ganta’s lesson doesn’t look like it’s going so well. Crow lists his weak points and tells him how to compensate. When Ganta questions how he should go about things, Crow destroys all of his candy. I guess this is supposed to give him some incentive. Crow dangles a piece of candy and tells Ganta to go for it. If Ganta can’t get past Crow and get to the candy, he’ll be dead anyway. Ganta still isn’t good enough and Crow defeats each attack.

They are interrupted by Mockingbird. He asks Ganta if he knows Shiro and tells him that Shiro wants to punch him. Crow asks Mockingbird where he’s been and he says he died for a while. He playfully attacks Crow and Crow introduces him to Ganta as perhaps the strongest of the Deadmen. I loved Ganta’s reaction to this and then again when Mockingbird asked to lick him. Crow stops him and pretty much tells Mockingbird to get lost. He shakes Ganta’s hand and runs off.

While Tamaki entertains the inspectors, he tells Genkaku to get rid of the “flies”. It looks like Genkaku is getting injections as well. And a drunk Shiro drops in on the Undertakers just as Karako is about to make a move. Karako tries to protect Shiro, but Genkaku sees right through her disguise and unmasks her.

Crow stops the training for the day, but Ganta has one bullet left and he manages to get past Crow’s barrier. Their attention is caught by Genkaku’s broadcast to Scar Chain. He shows that he has Karako and Shiro and says that they will be raped and killed. He says that the resistance can die trying to rescue them to die trying to escape – the choice is theirs. Karako yells out for them to escape, but Shiro screams in pain as one of the men pull her hair and Ganta runs off to save her. Crow wishes him well.

With tears in their eyes, the Scar Chain members obey Karako and make a break for freedom. As Ganta runs, he’s also upset at the fact that Scar Chain left him behind and then he runs right into the Undertakers. He is saved by Minatsuki who admonishes him and points him in the right direction. She says they’re even now and walks off but Ganta asks her to go with him. She declines, saying that she has a brother to worry about. Ganta still promises to find a way to free her before he continues on.

Ganta arrives at the Undertaker base and announces his intent to save Karako and Shiro, but the doors close behind him. I think Shiro is happy to see him although she says that she doesn’t need him to save her. Ganta uses his Branches of Sin and manages to take out most of the Undertakers with his special bullet. But this weakens him and he may not be able to fight the rest. Shiro escapes her captors and starts to runs towards him, but Daida hits her across the legs with her sword and sends Shiro crashing into a wall.

Anemia gets the best of Ganta and he collapses as he tries to reach Shiro. Genkaku is disappointed in the turn out. He begins to play his guitar and the doors behind him open to reveal Nagi. Karako moves towards him but he warns her to stay back since he is sane again. Karako still goes to him and reminds him of his daughter, but this sends him into a fit of laughter. He tosses the locket to her and tells her there’s nothing in it.

He now remembers that Tamaki did take his dead child and had it preserved; most likely for experiments. This only fed his rage and he now sets that rage free to destroy everyone in the room. And as Genkaku plays, he encourages Nagi to kill everyone![/details]

Episode 12 –

[details=spoiler]The inspection is almost over and Nagi is on a rampage. He is killing everyone in sight per Genkaku’s orders. Ganta tries to help Karako as she laments that she wasn’t able to save Nagi after all. Nagi makes his way to Shiro, but Ganta steps in front of her just as Nagi throws his punch and Shiro says that won’t make her forgive him. Nagi keeps beating on Ganta as Ganta tries to talk some sense into him. Shiro screams at him to get away and not try to save her. But Ganta just keeps letting himself get beat up by Nagi and continues trying to talk to him.

As she crawls towards him, it seems Karako’s bell might be bringing Nagi to his senses. Ganta publically berates himself for hurting Shiro, but is determined to protect his best friend until the end and once again stands in front of her with arms outstretched. I think Shiro finally forgives him in that moment. When Karako’s bell rings again, Nagi can see all the friends from the resistance that had fought for a cause they believed in, depending upon him as their leader.

Ganta collapses from a combination of anemia and a lack of candy. His body begins to numb as his collar flashes red. Karako is able to recover enough to get close to Nagi and slap him. She tells him to “snap out of it” and he does. He said that the sound of her bell reminded him that his dearest friends were with him. Karako hugs him and promises that they will still escape. But as she turns from him, Genkaku rams his sword into her chest. He tells Nagi that he has given her salvation, but Nagi falls to his knees and cries over her.

Ganta manages to let loose a blood bullet and hit Genkaku, but his second one misses, although it was powerful enough. Genkaku seemed to absorb it and tells Ganta that he will save him too. Karako uses her Branches of Sin to seal her wound and Genkaku tells Nagi that Karako loves him. He says that Nagi should save her by killing her and set her free. Nagi approaches Genkaku and admits that he is just another weak human and that “there is no salvation in death”. He tells Genkaku that his saviors are with him and Genkaku finally realizes that Nagi’s mind has cleared. He converts his guitar to a gun and shoots Nagi, claiming that he loved him and will now save him.

Before Nagi even falls to the floor, Genkaku proceeds to kill his allies as Ganta yells at him to stop. There is a flashback into Genkaku’s past that shows how he became the madman he is today. As Genkaku stalks towards Ganta to “save” him, Ganta’s collar goes critical. Meanwhile, Daida has left the room, confused as to why Genkaku tried to kill her. She comes upon Mockingbird and attacks him and it looks as if he kills her before wandering away down the hallway.

Ganta hates to see his friends cry and wonders why he can’t do anything to help them. Genkaku aims his gun at Ganta and says that he will continue to save people until someone can save him. Amazingly, as he begins to pull the trigger, Shiro heals her own broken leg and stands in front of Ganta. He manages to get to his feet and tries to push her out of the way, telling her that he will be Ace Man. But it’s strange because the changes that happen to his body also happen to Shiro.

Ganta says that they have hope because they have friends and lets loose his Branches of Sin, yelling that they aren’t ready to die. It’s a very powerful burst and Genkaku can’t seem to stop it this time. Nagi grabs Genkaku and tells him that they will go to hell together and Genkaku calls Nagi his savior as he smiles. There is a massive explosion and Genkaku is finally killed as most of the room is destroyed and Shiro collapses. Nagi manages to hold on a bit longer to speak with Ganta and give him a piece of candy. Nagi thanks Karako and as her tears fall upon his face, Nagi thinks it’s a warm rain. He dies saying that there should be a beautiful rainbow afterwards.

As Karako give vent to her grief, Ganta eats the piece of candy and it seems that some have survived the carnage. Shiro awakens and asks Ganta why he doesn’t go outside, but he says that he can’t leave his friends behind. He apologizes to Shiro for hitting her and being mean. Shiro says it doesn’t matter anymore because she can see the ferris wheel through the hole in the roof and reminds Ganta of his promise to ride it with her. Ganta rests his head on Shiro’s chest and begins to cry. Shiro comforts him and asks him what’s wrong, but he only looks at the candy wrapper clutched in his hand and tells her that the candy is really bitter.

It looks as if three survivors of Scar Chain actually escaped. Tamaki gets the news of Genkaku’s failure the following morning and regrets counting on the useless priest. Makina is in his office and asks if anyone escaped. He tells he no and that he’s just getting used to being the new Warden. Makina says that everyone on her list is accounted for, including Ganta and Yoh. She says that she will have to interrogate them in order to find out where they were and hopes Tamaki won’t have a problem with that. Tamaki promises not to interfere and tells Makina to do as she wishes. As she leaves his office, Tamaki is sure that they will tell her quite a story.

Makina meets up with her assistant and they talk about picking a “good one” from among the normal prisoners. Makina says that it’s time to set the trap. And it looks as if Mockingbird has inherited the Director’s twin bodyguards. He seems fascinated by Ganta and his Branches of Sin. Up on the tower, Shiro sings a song about a woodpecker, but it’s obvious she’s really singing of Ganta. Ganta is with her and says he knows the song. Shiro says that he should since his mother made it up. Ganta asks Shiro not to sing it anymore. Ganta says that the Red Man sang it on the day that all of Ganta’s classmates were killed. Shiro says she won’t sing it anymore, but Ganta wonders how the Red Man knew the song to begin with. What a great way to end this! I throughly enjoyed this anime. Never was there even one dull moment![/details]

It makes me want to read the manga. I wonder if there will be another season?

It would be wonderful to see another season. There is plenty of story left over to work with. But even if there isn’t a second season, it was a good ending that didn’t leave too much up in the air.

[quote=redshirt1]
It makes me want to read the manga. I wonder if there will be another season?[/quote]

Sure, if u can find any of the volumes left and at a reasonable price. It used to be a Tokyopop title and now with them gone, the prices have started to jack up. Rightstuf only has vol. 4 in stock, but not for long, I bet.

[quote=LadyOfWicca]
It would be wonderful to see another season. There is plenty of story left over to work with. But even if there isn’t a second season, it was a good ending that didn’t leave too much up in the air.[/quote]

I loved every minute of this one. The ending was good and did wrap up most things but there is still the small problem of Ganta not knowing who the Red Man is. I really want another season to see how that plays out.

Deadman Wonderland is on Hulu now but they censored the crap out of it.

What?! There’s really no point in watchin it if its censored :dry:

That probably because it’s the tv broadcast/simulcast version that showed up on CrunchyRoll initially. The uncensored ones will be for the DVD/BD when Funi releases them…in 3 years. :stuck_out_tongue:

Three years!!! :ohmy: I might as well just finish the season on youtube… wait is it dubbed on hulu?