Desert Punk / Sunabozu

###Desert Punk / Sunabozu

[quote]Genres: action, comedy, science fiction
Themes: fanservice, mercenaries, post-apocalyptic
Objectionable content: Intense
Plot Summary: In the future, Japan is a wasteland. In the Great Kanto Desert, scattered humans eke out a living in the hot sand. Among them, a short-statured man they call “Sunabozu” makes a living as a bounty hunter. Like a demon of the sand, he seems unbeatable. Yet, like all men, he has a particular weakness for the opposite sex…
Number of episodes: 24
Vintage: 2004-10-04 to 2005-03-28[/quote]
ANN Info Page

This is a funny action packed…and bra packing anime. I loving this, perverted lead characters, big boobs, explosions its all here.

So has anyone seen this?

I’ve seen it. The DUB IS GREAT!!!

Indeed, I though the voice acting was great. Some of the best I’ve seen, I’m on eps 20 right now. I should be finishing it up soon. Too bad there is more, I’ll miss Junko. lol

I bought it on a whim way back when Best Buy was having their liquidation sale (I think I paid $37 for the viridian collection). I was really surprised at the number of extras that came with it.

Anyway, about the show itself, I liked it. I think it was worth watching, but I probably would not have bought it if it weren’t at a good price. The dub was good, I like most things with Luci Christian :slight_smile:

I just finished watching it last night. Great anime overall. But I wasn’t sure about the ending. So desert punk basically turned to the dark side? and Junko was with him? I guess they finally hooked up. lol

I won’t say he bad, He just went to where the money is at…

Yeah, I just finally finished this too, I put it together over time as a set of singles. I thought it was pretty good but the end of it almost feels like a filler or something, written by someone else. Desert Punk does a heel turn - or does he? Because the leader of the resistance also does a heel turn and becomes just a power hungry jerk. Then the laser goes off and everyone is dead? Then they run the credits and you see all the main characters alive in what looks like situations they’d be in if they got away from the laser blast in time. I don’t get it.

I know Desert Punk basically did the “if you can’t beat them, join them” thing at the end. But why was he trying to kill is friends, and Kazuna?

And I need this cleared up as well, was Junko on the same side as Punk? meaning they finally hooked up?

I think the ending was odd, but did fit the whole idea of money/survival coming first for a mercenary fit.

That was the hole point of the show. It was never about good verse bad. IT was about how you chose to live in this world, and do you chose money of everything else.

You also could try to find the Manga.

I guess going for the money to survive it alright. But why turn on your friends? why not use the money or new found power to continue what he was doing before he “died”?

It just kinda made be feel bad at the end. I mean for 6 months Kazuna is sad about losing her master. Then out of nowhere he appears with a new attitude and tries to kill everybody and not even care.

On the bright side, I now know more slang terms for breasts than I thought existed. That should be the Desert Punk drinking game - every time he calls breasts something other than breasts, have a shot. Just don’t make it too strong if you expect to make it through more than one episode.

In the extras they had a director commentary on an episode and they said they printed out a page with over 200 different names for breasts.

I also thought that there was something in the show that prevented “immersion”, that kept it just shy of greatness. Whatever it was, it existed in both language tracks.

This might be the 2nd best Zach Bolton dub of all time. “Desert punk’s ultra secret super sticky love dungeon” still makes me lol.

Humorously, despite using an alias in the credits for the show, Stephanie Young has signed this but she declined to sign War on Geminar (and even tried to deny being in it) despite her name being in the credits w/o an alias.

Generally, I usually don’t have a problem with getting involved in a show, since I’m generally not that picky, which is why I found it odd.

For me, I think it had something to do with the pacing and the…

focus on Kosuna rather than Punk himself.
And when punk “died” and it became a Kosuna “story” that just drove me right out of the story as a whole.

I agree with that.

For a show that would ultimately become a show about a conspiracy involving what passed for government in that post-apocalyptic wasteland, the show sure did spend a whole lot of time showing us Desert Punk’s goofy and perverted adventures in the middle of nowhere. Unlike other shows that go from “silly” to “serious business” I don’t recall much in the way of foreshadowing and building of the conspiracy going on in the “silly” episodes.

We went from Desert Punk fighting to get laid to Desert Punk fighting against the evil power. I guess since he did succeed in the first fight they needed to gin up a second fight for him (lol) but…

It fascinates me that this was Zach Bolton’s first dub. If I didn’t already know the chronology and were asked to pick between Desert Punk and Haganai for which dub was his first I know that I wouldn’t pick Desert Punk. As a director, Zach Bolton is an engima.

Desert Punk – Available Now on S.A.V.E.

Crunchyroll Adds “Desert Punk” And More from Funimation

January 10, 2018 6:30pm CST
Series goes live tonight