AN Forums

Doctor Who / Class (BBC America)

Spare me.

You’d think with 26 seasons of content, the people who decided on this lame-arsed reboot would have SOME idea as to how to do it right. Sorry, I’m not impressed.

Did you even watch it?

I watched the FIRST THREE BLEEDIN’ SEASONS (and a chunk of the 4th) of this travesty! Did you not read what I posted earlier?!

[quote]I’m too old school for this rebooted crop of crap. I grew up with the original seven. Better SFX does not make a better show. I watched the first three seasons and just gave up on it.
[/quote]

Next time, read it all, before going where you went. It was only 4 sentences.

[quote=“Capt_Hitsugaiya” post=125142]Spare me.

You’d think with 26 seasons of content, the people who decided on this lame-arsed reboot would have SOME idea as to how to do it right. Sorry, I’m not impressed.[/quote]

Yeah, Cap’n, you’re right. What was Russel T. Davies thinking? He took a quirky children’s educational series disguised as a sci-fi/fantasy series and turned it into a serious, adult drama that retained a quirky sense of humor. Why didn’t they just stick with a kiddie show? They had to go and make it serious-and then Steven Moffat took over as showrunner and amped it up to 12! Don’t these new people have any respect for the old classics? </sarcasm off>

Sorry to hear about your butthurt-here’s a tune to perhaps ease it a bit (unless you don’t like Tull, either…)

[quote=“Capt_Hitsugaiya” post=125212]I watched the FIRST THREE BLEEDIN’ SEASONS (and a chunk of the 4th) of this travesty! Did you not read what I posted earlier?!

[quote]I’m too old school for this rebooted crop of crap. I grew up with the original seven. Better SFX does not make a better show. I watched the first three seasons and just gave up on it.
[/quote]

Next time, read it all, before going where you went. It was only 4 sentences.[/quote]

I clearly mentioned series five and onwards, silly. Reread my initial post. I understand you didn’t like series 1-4, hence why I suggested series five, as Steven Moffat (PBUH) took the reins as the lead writer, and (again, as I said before) improved the show. I also think Matt Smith makes for a much better, whimsical Doctor.

THOUGH THE PREVIOUS TWO DOCTORS WERE FINE TOO IN THEIR OWN RIGHT, THAT’S JUST LIKE MY OPINION MAN. PLEASE DON’T HURT ME, TENNANT FANS.

[/quote]

Next time, read it all, before going where you went. It was only 4 sentences.
I clearly mentioned series five and onwards, silly. Reread my initial post. I understand you didn’t like series 1-4, hence why I suggested series five, as Steven Moffat (PBUH) took the reins as the lead writer, and (again, as I said before) improved the show. I also think Matt Smith makes for a much better, whimsical Doctor.

THOUGH THE PREVIOUS TWO DOCTORS WERE FINE TOO IN THEIR OWN RIGHT, THAT’S JUST LIKE MY OPINION MAN. PLEASE DON’T HURT ME, TENNANT FANS.

Don’t worry, Hentai. I’m groovin’ on the 11th Time Lord more and more, to the point that he’s a tie with the 10th TL. Number 9 was good, but we didn’t get much time for him to grow on us.

Eccleston was the 9th and 10th Doctors. Go back and rewatch that first episode of the reboot. Davies is the 12th. Of course, that part is probably meaningless since gallifrey is gone, so the 12 regenerations rule probably no longer applies.

Offical canon wise its:
Christopher Eccleston = 9th Doctor
David Tennant = 10th Doctor
Matt Smith = 11th Doctor

Now there was at least two others I can think of though I believe there was more ,but as far as I know none of them are or were considered official canon.

Just go back and carefully rewatch that first episode. Eccleston makes a point about regeneration after the bomb went off.
Remember, we never saw McGann turn into Eccleston, or did he? We don’t know if there were others between McGann and Eccleston.

OK, something from the Tom Baker era of Dr. Who. The “Morbius” arc of stories.

Morbius was a renegade Time Lord that was reduced to only his brain in order to avoid death by execution.

In the climax of the arc’s final episode Morbius, in a worse than Frankenstein’s nightmare body, engages the Doctor in mental Time Lord wrestling. We see images of Moribus in his mongrel form and his previous normal form ( Resembles the Master ) then we see the Doctor being pushed back thru his various regenerations. What is key is that there are faces that show after he is pushed back past the first Doctor, William Hartnell. Finally Morbius exclaims, in a frustrated tone of voice, “How long have you been ALIVE?”

So, if you go by that as canon - committed to film standard - the Doctor is a lot older than he admits to.

Mark Gosdin

By the Tom Baker era, he’d had his particular TARDIS for just over 400 years. I think sometime around the Key to Time epic, he was pegged at around 750 years old. In the reboot, Eccleston said he was around 900 years old.

mg, that was a story called The Brain of Morbius. All but one story was broken down into multiple parts as the time slot allotted was only 30 minutes. For two season during the Colin Baker era, the show was alotted about an hour and each part was 45 minutes, instead of roughly 23 minutes. The reboot stories are mostly single eps of about 50 minutes. Multipart stories are the exception, now, instead of being the rule.

Enjoyed the latest episode. Dinosaurs part was not nearly as interesting, as Pond saying something to the Doctor about being around long enough for him to not show up. Or whatever. I am getting the serious vibe that Rory and Amy will be gone soon as companions. I have not read the insight on the show, so I am wondering if this be true? anyhow, a good episode, liked last weeks Dalek one more.

Funkgun, regarding the companions, yeah, Moffat confirmed a while ago that the Doctor would get a new companion some time into this season who would replace Amy/Rory. Also (spoiler in a spoiler in case you want to be surprised about how they go) apparently one (maybe both) of them is killed off, probably during the upcoming weeping angels episode.

[quote=“Capt_Hitsugaiya” post=125488]By the Tom Baker era, he’d had his particular TARDIS for just over 400 years. I think sometime around the Key to Time epic, he was pegged at around 750 years old. In the reboot, Eccleston said he was around 900 years old.

mg, that was a story called The Brain of Morbius. All but one story was broken down into multiple parts as the time slot allotted was only 30 minutes. For two season during the Colin Baker era, the show was alotted about an hour and each part was 45 minutes, instead of roughly 23 minutes. The reboot stories are mostly single eps of about 50 minutes. Multipart stories are the exception, now, instead of being the rule.[/quote]

Captain,

Thanks for refreshing my memory on the “The Brain of Morbius” title, you would think I could have remembered that. It’s only been something like 25 years since I watched it last. :blink:

There’s been all kinds of dating done that pegged the Doctor at approx 700 years old beginning with William Hartnell. There were also hints in Tom Baker’s run, Peter Davidson’s run ( Master offered 13 more regenerations by Time Lord Council in “The Five Doctors” ) and Sylvester McCoy’s run ( Doctor helped build Omega’s stellar manipulator in “Rememberance of the Daleks” ) that there is more to the Doctor’s age than meets the eye.

Mark

The Hand of Omega was already complete. The Doctor had merely hidden it on Earth when he first arrived. That was the same junk yard from the first episode “An Unearthly Child”. It was part of the 25th anniversary commemoration along with the previous story “Silver Nemesis”.

Well, I certainly hope that the two of them end up unscathed. I would like to see a happy end to their lives. But, it is never safe to be around the Doctor
Yesterday’s episode was something I almost equate to an episode of the original Battlestar Galactica. With crash landed aliens, a western town, and a gun slinging bot, BUT it totally changed by having it a cyborg going after a war criminal episode. Episode ended a little too convenient. The Doctor instead of figuring something out, that worked, more or less luckily fell into a quick nice wrap up. The other Doctor, blowing himself up and the cyborg is the sheriff.
I honestly thought it was a mediocre episode. However, it had insight into the fact the Doctor has been on his own too much lately. And that he is now 1200 years old? seems he is getting older and older quicker and quicker… anyhow. next episode looks interesting

Well, saw latest episode from this season. Angles Take Manhattan. It was good but [spoiler] still did not have the impact for me at the end for Amy and Rory. I don’t know why. I would have liked it not to have felt as rushed in those last moments before Amy ends up going ot hte past.

So, I guess I now know who the new companion is. It might be really interesting how she survived… that is if it is the girl who was the Dalek. At least that is who I think I saw was the new girl.[/spoiler]

Having seen the Christmas Special, I have to say this could be the best series* ever!

(*Series (GB)=season (US))

Reminder: New episodes resume Saturday, March 30.