FLCL / Fooly Cooly / Furi Kuri

FLCL / Fooly Cooly / Furi Kuri

Genres: comedy, drama, science fiction
Themes: aliens, coming of age, parody
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: Naota is a normal Japanese 6th grade boy (although a little cynical), but when his older brother leaves for America to play baseball, his brother leaves his 17 year old girlfriend Mamimi behind. Mamimi is sending mixed signals and advances to Naota, and he doesn’t know what to do about her. But to make matters worse, Naota’s world is totally turned upside down when he is run over by a woman on a Vespa. During their first encounter, she hits him over the head with her guitar, which then causes a horn to grow out of his forehead. She calls herself “Haruko” and her presence changes Naota’s life to even further insanity.
Number of episodes: 6
Vintage: 2000-04-26

ANN Info Page

Episodes on Toonami
  1. Fooly Cooly (April 14, 2018)
  2. Fire Starter (April 21, 2018)
  3. Marquis de Carabas (April 28, 2018)
  4. Full Swing (May 5, 2018)
  5. Brittle Bullet (May 12, 2018)
  6. FLClimax (May 19, 2018) FINALE

FLCL Progressive

Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: 14-year-old Hidomi, her classmate Ide, and two otherworldly beings, “Jinyu” and “Haruha Raharu,” are determined to unlock their hidden potential. Mixed up in this is an all-powerful force known as “ATOMSK,” a gorgeous vintage car and a certain Vespa Scooter.
Vintage: 2018-06-02

ANN Info Page

Episodes on Toonami
  1. Re: Start (June 2, 2018)
  2. Freebie Honey (June 9, 2018)
  3. Stone Skipping (June 16, 2018)
  4. Loopqr (June 23, 2018)
  5. Fool on the Planet (June 30, 2018)
  6. Our Run (July 7, 2018) FINALE

FLCL Alternative

Vintage: 2018-09-08

ANN Info Page

Episodes on Toonami
  1. Flying Memory (March 31, 2018 - April Fools SUB) / (September 8, 2018 - DUB)
  2. Grown-up Wannabe (September 15, 2018)
  3. Freestyle Collection (September 22, 2018)
  4. Pit-a-Pat (September 29, 2018)
  5. Shake It Off (October 6, 2018)
  6. Full Flat (October 13, 2018) FINALE

FLCL: Grunge

Number of Episodes: 3
Vintage: 2023-09-09

ANN Info Page

Episodes on Toonami
  1. Shinpachi (September 9, 2023)
  2. Shonari (September 16, 2023)
  3. Orinoko (September 23, 2023)

FLCL: Shoegaze

Number of Episodes: 3
Vintage: 2023

ANN Info Page

Episodes on Toonami
  1. Furu-Bari (Full Barricade) (September 30, 2023)
  2. Gene-Bato (Generational Batle) (October 7, 2023)
  3. Far-Fre (Far Friend) (October 14, 2023)

FLCL Alternative (movie) - Vintage: 2018-09-07
FLCL Progressive (movie) - Vintage: 2018-09-29

So i just recently saw that they released all 6 episodes of fooly cooly on 1 disc for $9.99 at vintage stock. an offer i couldnt pass up. Pic

1 Like

It’s a bootleg. It’s not been release in anything here ,but 3 disc by Synch-Point and the current license holder Funimation has not even announced a release date for their release other then late 2010.

1 Like

Whoa! Consumer alert… I love that show but bootlegs are bad.

1 Like

whys it bad?

1 Like

Bootlegs are made by crooks who pay nothing to the makers of the anime. Gainax will see no profit from that DVD. If you really want to support the industry stay far away from bootlegs. Also they are known for being low quality anyway.

1 Like

Supporting the companies who bring us anime is important if you want more anime. If these companies go out of business, we will have NO MORE ANIME in the US. Your $9.95 just went to line the pockets of crooks and thieves who will give nothing back to the artists or the anime industry. I would suggest returning it and waiting for the FUNimation release later this year. I understand that it is difficult to know what is a bootleg. Buying from reputable dealers, like Right Stuf is a good place to start.

1 Like

Below is a good site to look at.

Otaku News: Pirate FAQ

1 Like

The only time I’ll knowingly buy a bootleg is like the three vintage-80s anime DVDs I found in the dollar store. Odds are they’re not licensed here at all, they’re probably terrible, and they’re a freaking dollar - no one is making much of a profit from it.

1 Like

FOOLY COOLY! :woohoo: This show is pretty awesome. Where did you get this DVD?

1 Like

i see. wont make that mistake again.

1 Like

Called it.

1 Like

I think most of us figured that they would grab it :stuck_out_tongue: They are the only company who could afford to. I bet the license is expensive.

1 Like

May have gotten it as part of another deal. It will still make money as the original releases were violating rear end pricing for 6 episodes even back then. So as long as its under $50.00 it will sell.

1 Like

People always say that after the announcement, but never before with any certainty. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I don’t know how much it will make. It had been on AS at least 50 times. It was very much over played, but was a great little anime.
Slick

1 Like

Great? I didn’t understand any of it. I must be the only person in existence who didn’t like it AND thought Excel Saga was meh. At least that’s the vibe I get from other forums.

Music in it is great though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I was figuring they would announce during their “Roll Out”, but I was not expecting them to consider redubbing it. I’m not a big fan of the show, but I did enjoy the dub, and I see no reason to change it. This isn’t 2002, we don’t need to redub shows just because we can. Now there may be legal issues preventing them from using the original dub, but other than that, there is really no excuse.

See Prede, told you it would be announced soon. :stuck_out_tongue: I just wasn’t at liberty to say by who at the time…

1 Like

I didn’t like it too (On my worst anime list) but I liked Excel Saga Zakuace. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was actually kinda hoping they’d continue to announce live-action acquisitions.
The whiney fits that most of the posters on their blog was hilarious.

Anime fans suck.

As for this, I disliked FLCL quite a lot, and I hope to never see it again.

1 Like

Me too for a variety of reasons. :stuck_out_tongue: Two days left of bullet dodging…

1 Like