Flowers of Evil / Aku no Hana

Episode 5 is live at ANO

1 Like

Episode 9 ā€“

spoiler

Saeki refuses to break up with Takao, even knowing what he did. But what will she do? She gives Nakamura a condemning look and runs off. Takao just falls to his knees.

The students are all sent home en masse. But once home, he has to deal with his motherā€™s questions. Telling her that he isnā€™t feeling well, he goes to his room. He canā€™t understand why Saeki doesnā€™t hate such a sick person like him. He still wants to run away.

Saeki later confronts Nakamura at school and questions her about Takao. Nakamura confesses that her friendship with Saeki was the result of boredom and she tells Saeki that she told Takao that she wanted to have sex with him ā€“ just to see his reaction. Saeki demands to know the relationship between her and Takao and Nakamura just smiles and says she has a contract with him. She tells Saeki that Takao is a ā€œtwisted pervertā€ and that the contract exists to expose him. But Saeki doesnā€™t believe that Takao is a pervert. Nakamura just leaves her to her thoughts.

Takao stayed home from school and it seems his mother is about to ask him something when the doorbell rings. Itā€™s Saeki, but Takao doesnā€™t want to see her and goes into a panic. His mother sends Saeki away, but that doesnā€™t stop her from calling up to his window. It seems that the whole neighborhood is going to know what he did if she keeps yelling like that! LOL After her rant, she tells him to come back to school the next day and finally leaves.

Of course, Takaoā€™s mother also heard every word, and bringing him his paint stained clothes, she asks him what heā€™s done. He never should have left those clothes in the washing machine! His mother demands an explanation and wants to know if heā€™s responsible for what happened at the school. Takao pushes past her and flees, but thereā€™s nowhere for him to go. He just runs through the town until he reaches the outskirts and the river. And Nakamura is there, almost as if she was waiting for him.

Nakamura gives him an evil smile and tells him that heā€™s late. They sit together in silence under the bridge until Takao tells her that heā€™s been found out and canā€™t go home. He canā€™t go anywhere. He soon hears his name being called and sees his mother riding around on a bike, looking for him. Nakamura calls Takao an idiot and says that they will go to the ā€œother sideā€. She produces his bike and gets on. He asks if she will go with him, but she says that he is the one going with her.

Saeki is also walking through the town and sees Takaoā€™s mother asking a neighbor if heā€™s seen her son. So now she knows that heā€™s run away too and her chest tightens. She probably feels responsible, and she should, but Takao would have been found out eventually anyway. His mother easily found out and you canā€™t keep a secret like that forever!

1 Like

Episode 6 is live at ANO

1 Like

Episode 7 is live at ANO

1 Like

Episode 8 is live at ANO

1 Like

Episode 10 ā€“

spoiler

During their ride, Nakamura wonders whatā€™s on the other side of the mountain and thinks maybe thereā€™s nothing there. She thinks maybe thatā€™s where the world ends and Takao thinks he knows what she means. Takao says that thereā€™s no hope for him in town and he must escape. Again, I can see where heā€™s coming from. Even without what he did, there is no future in this dying town for the young.

Saeki leaves her uneaten dinner to call Nakamura, but is told that she isnā€™t home. Why would she want to talk to her anyway? Or is she wondering if Nakamura is with Takao? With a lie on her lips and a smile on her face, Saeki leaves her house. Meanwhile, Takao is getting tired of pedaling and Nakamura wonā€™t let him stop, but keeps complaining that he isnā€™t going fast enough. He finally canā€™t take it anymore and stops. Of course it also begins to rain, just when they are in the middle of nowhere. They take shelter under the trees and Takao notes how small the town seems from there. He wonders if his father knows what he did by now. And he thinks of Saeki as well. Could he be having second thoughts?

Takao looks over at Nakamura to see that her blouse is soaked through and quickly turns away again. Nakamura says that sheā€™s bored and that they should go back. Takao adamantly protests and Nakamura says that she was only kidding. She wants to keep going once the rain stops. Now, Saeki is on her bike, searching for Takao and Nakamura in the rain. She knows they must be together. A sidewalk vendor did see them and points Saeki in the direction they went in.

Takao looks at the town again and wonders why they are there. Nakamura tells him that itā€™s because theyā€™re ā€œsickosā€. Takao doesnā€™t seem convinced, but says he doesnā€™t mind being a sicko and right now, he feels really good. He thanks Nakamura for bringing him. She notices that the rain isnā€™t letting up and suggests that they get some sleep. Takao looks at her chest and her thighs and reluctantly agrees, laying down next to her. Takao looks over at Nakamura and that is the moment that Saeki arrives!

Takao is surprised to see Saeki as she gets off her bike and walks over to them. She apologizes to Takao for pushing him too hard. She keeps apologizing as she cries. She shows Takao the book he gave her and apologizes for getting it wet, but Saeki also says that sheā€™s read it multiple times. However, she still doesnā€™t understand it or why Takao even likes it so much. She asks what he likes about the book and what is going on in his heart. Everything comes out now as Saeki begs him not to run away. She is supposed to be his girlfriend and yet he keeps turning to Nakamura. She asks Takao why.

Nakamura answers by telling Saeki that they are going to the other side, but Saeki doesnā€™t seem to understand. Saeki looks to Takao again and he says it isnā€™t like that, but is unable to say anything else. Saeki asks him if heā€™s in love with Nakamura and he insists that he isnā€™t. But Nakamura didnā€™t seem to like that answer as she jumps up to stand in front of him. She asks Saeki if she really wants to know whatā€™s inside of Takao and begins to tell her that he was wearing her gym uniform under his clothes during their date.

Takao tries to stop her from saying anything and she strips him. She really enjoys doing that, doesnā€™t she? But in this case, I suppose she wants Saeki to see the ā€œnaked truthā€. LOL Nakamura continues talking and makes Saeki look at the naked Takao, smiling all the while. I donā€™t suppose that Saeki will see that smile of hers and realize that Nakamura mixed the truth with lies. Nakamura never said anything about forcing Takao to wear her gym uniform. She tells Saeki that heā€™s been wearing her uniform all this time in his heart and that is why heā€™s such a pervert.

As Nakamura holds Takao, Saeki steps forward and hesitantly places her palm against his naked chest. Saeki says that no matter what he did, he did it because he liked her and that makes her happy. She doesnā€™t think heā€™s a pervert, but would like him to tell her these things and she will accept them. Saeki doesnā€™t like that there are secrets Takao and Nakamura share that leave her out. She wants to know everything. Saeki lays her head on Takaoā€™s shoulder and says that they should go back together.

Takao apologizes to Saeki, but I wonder how he really feels being sandwiched between two girls like that. Nakamura finally lets him go and walks over to the bike. She tells Takao that itā€™s no fun anymore and says that he will spend the rest of his life rotting in that dying town. She rides off and is soon lost to sight in the rain. Saeki looks up at Takao and says his name, but he moves away from her. Pulling up his pants, he runs after Nakamura and stops her. Again, stupid Takao!

Saeki continues to call his name, but it looks like heā€™s made his choice. Saeki must realize it too, for she runs to him and pulls him back from Nakamura. Crying, Saeki asks him why heā€™s going after Nakamura. Taking his chin, Saeki turns Takaoā€™s face to her and gently asks him if she isnā€™t good enough. She says that he really does care more for Nakamura, but Takao denies it, insisting that his body just moved on its own. He tells Saeki that it isnā€™t what she thinks.

Nakamura says how stupid all this is and Saeki lets her have it, verbally of course. As Saeki breaks down, I hope Takao is feeling some guilt here. He begins to cry as well and falls to his knees, screaming. Nakamura calls his name and when he looks at her, she tells him to make up his mind ā€“ go or stay. I guess Nakamura really does have some deep feelings for Takao as she tells him to ā€œstop tearing her soul apartā€. So, which girl will he choose?

In the pouring rain, Takao makes his confession. He always thought he was different and impressed himself by reading all those books that he really didnā€™t understand. He tried to hide the fact that he really wasnā€™t all that different or special from anyone else after all. Still crying, he declares himself an ā€œempty personā€. He tells Saeki that he had a crush on her for a long time and considered her his muse. He wanted her to remain as a pure angel to him and that he never wanted to know her human side. He admits that heā€™s scared and canā€™t have a normal relationship. But he isnā€™t ā€œworthyā€ of being called a pervert either. Nor can he be the person that Nakamura wants him to be. He canā€™t take off his mask for her because there is no mask to take off. He curses himself because he canā€™t choose. He says that he doesnā€™t even have the right to.

As Takao kneels there, Saeki drops the book in front of him and says sheā€™s had enough. Nakamura gets off the bike and stomps on the book. Picking it up, she tears it to pieces. She throws a stomped page on Takaoā€™s face and it happens to have the flower on it. Perhaps this is his true mask. It slides off his face and he looks up to see Nakamura crying. Headlights appear out of the murk and itā€™s the police looking for Saeki. Her parents were worried. All three kids are ordered into the car to be taken to the station to tell their story. Nakamura runs and one of the officers chases her. It seems that this is her only chance to leave this place and she doesnā€™t want to give it up. She is wrestled to the ground, cursing at the cop the entire time. She screams as she struggles and Takao and Saeki silently watch, expressionless. In the back of the car, the three donā€™t even look at one another. This show constantly surprises me with all its emotion and underlying truths. It is just so human!

1 Like

Episode 9 is live at ANO

1 Like

Episode 10 is live at ANO

1 Like

Episode 11 ā€“

spoiler

Still in the back of the police car, Takao realizes that thereā€™s no place for him to go. He will never get away from this town. His parents are summoned to the police station.

Takao is back at school, but remembers that night. His parents confronted him when they got back from the police station, but he could say nothing. His mother breaks down into tears, thinking they didnā€™t raise him right. His father tells him that he should never do anything to make his mother cry. His parents intend to apologize to Saekiā€™s and Nakamuraā€™s parents. His father tells him to reflect on what heā€™s done.

So, now itā€™s a month later and full summer. Takao is walking around like a zombie. Nakamura is still breaking the rules and making trouble, but sheā€™s getting worse. The three seem to be ignoring one another, but Saeki looks like sheā€™d like to talk to Takao, even though theyā€™ve broken up.

Ai confronts Takao, dragging Saeki with her. She tells him that she doesnā€™t know what happened, but she doesnā€™t like the fact that heā€™s ignored Saeki for an entire month. Takao apologizes to Saeki and tells her that sheā€™ll find someone worthy of her someday. She smiles at him and thanks him, saying that they should break up. They shake hands and Saeki leaves. Ai is just confused and tells Takao that heā€™s ā€œdespicableā€.

Life isnā€™t any better at home either. He keeps apologizing to his parents, but I donā€™t think they will ever forgive him. His mother still seems sad and tearful. Although he didnā€™t eat dinner, once Takao goes to his room he vomits. He thinks he did the right thing and now he expects to rot away in this town. I donā€™t know why he thinks he will never escape the town. He can leave when heā€™s old enough. Iā€™m sure others have which is why the town looks so abandoned in the first place.

At night, Takao slowly walks barefoot through the empty town. Itā€™s creepy and I wonder if heā€™s thinking about suicide. The sky is red as he walks through a field of those evil flowers. Itā€™s surreal. Could he be dreaming this? He sees Nakamura sitting in the field and runs to her. She turns to him and he says her name. Suddenly, the flowers all swirl up in an invisible wind and Nakamura says that she had trusted him to drop his mask and follow her to the other side. She calls him a liar as she walks away into the swirling flowers.

Takao calls after her and tries to catch up to her. And this is how he wakes up, reaching for her. He slowly gets out of bed and attacks his books, screaming. He realizes that he hurt Nakamura as well. Takao says that she had it harder than him and that she had trusted him, of all people. He decides to write an essay. He vows not to let Nakamura be alone. What a weird episode! Perhaps he and Nakamura will still end up running off together.

1 Like

Iā€™m ashamed that I criticized the style of this anime because I couldā€™ve missed a very excellent title if I rolled with that attitude alone. Iā€™m so glad I watched this. Stunning anime throughout. How Iā€™d love to see a second season but probably wonā€™t happen. They crammed a ton into this.

1 Like

On one hand Iā€™d rather there not be a second season as that will, Iā€™m betting, delay the Sentai dub of this. But on the other handā€¦

I wonder if any of the live action will be released as a Japanese extra. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s some humor to be found there. Perhaps not as humorous as, say, the Sentai voice actors in motion capture suits (as seen on the SST: Invasion release) but Iā€™m sure theyā€™d have some value.

1 Like

Episode 11 is live at ANO

1 Like

Episode 12 ā€“

spoiler

Takao spends the rest of the night writing his essay to Nakamura, and the next morning, he opens his window to look at the mountain. Thus begins another episode with images of the empty town. Takao enters his classroom. Saeki is laughing with her friends and Takao looks at her as he passes. He approaches Nakamura, who is draped over her desk, and she ignores him as he wishes her a good morning. The other students begin to realize that Takao is there, but all ignore him, including his former friends. Takao sits at his desk, alone and isolated.

Once class is dismissed, Takao watches Nakamura leave and follows her. Kinoshita approaches his friends and asks why Takao is acting so weird, but they arenā€™t much help and then Saeki calls for her to hurry up. Takao is running to catch up with Nakamura and when he calls out to her, she wonā€™t stop, so Takao blocks her way. He pulls out the essay and tries to give it to her, but she just looks right through him. Stepping around him, she continues on her way. Nakamura begins to run as Takao chases her, reading the essay aloud to her. I know this is supposed to be serious, but I couldnā€™t help but laugh. Takao loses her when a car pulls out, almost hitting him. He falls down and watches her run away, but is determined not to let her be alone.

Back home, Takao rushes in to look for Nakamuraā€™s address while his mother yells at him. Out in the street again, he runs to Nakamuraā€™s house, but pauses on the way when he sees his former friends joking around across the street. Does he long for those carefree days again? Does he wish things could go back to the way they were? He watches as they move on and Takao continues running, finally arriving at Nakamuraā€™s house. He places his essay in an envelope addressed to Nakamura, but hesitates before putting it in her mailbox. A man comes up behind him and asks him what he wants. Takao introduces himself as a classmate of Nakamuraā€™s and apologizes to the man for what happened. The man invites Takao into the house, but Takao is reluctant. The man says that this is the first time that a friend of Nakamuraā€™s has ever visited and persuades Takao to come inside, saying that she isnā€™t home yet. Takao enters.

The man is Nakamuraā€™s father and Takao also meets her grandmother. Her father asks Takao for his impression of his daughter, saying that girls are difficult. He tells Takao of the problems that he has with his daughter and it sounds like he doesnā€™t know how to deal with her. Takao asks about Nakamuraā€™s mother and is told that they are divorced. Nakamuraā€™s father asks Takao what his relationship is with his daughter. Takao thinks theyā€™re friends, but isnā€™t sure how Nakamura sees them. Takao says that heā€™d like to understand Nakamura better and that makes her father laugh. He tells Takao that heā€™s honest. Takao is invited to dinner and his parents are called to let them know.

While the call is taking place, Takako asks to use the bathroom and comes upon Nakamuraā€™s room. He slowly approaches the door and tentatively touches the doorknob. He turns it and opens the door. Closing his eyes, he steps forward. Great! Now heā€™s invading the girlā€™s privacy! I know heā€™s doing this to ā€œunderstandā€ Nakamura, but heā€™s going to get caught! Takao just keeps on getting himself into trouble. LOL

1 Like

Episode 12 is live at ANO

1 Like

Ann reported a delay in the release schedule for the Japanese blurays of this. Thatā€™s disconcerting as, unless Sentai does a ā€œpersona 4ā€ (which I wouldnā€™t mind), the longer it takes for them to get their discs the longer it takes for us to get our dubbed release of this and Iā€™m waiting for the bluray and the dub for this show.

1 Like

Thatā€™s assuming this show gets a dub or a bluray. Theyā€™re track record has been pretty good the last couple months with bilingual releases, but that doesnā€™t automatically mean Flowers of Evil will get one. Itā€™s a pretty controversial title, and Iā€™d say it falls into the ā€œlove it or hate itā€ category. Iā€™d guess that itā€™s chances of a dub are about 50/50 right now. If Siren, Hannabee, MVM, or someone else picks this up, it would increase its chances quite a bit. I guess we will have to wait and see.

1 Like

lol Iā€™m trying to be an optimist here, but I see your point. It wouldnā€™t be the first thing Sentai hasnā€™t dubbed that I wish they had. I canā€™t imagine this show without bluray though, thatā€™s too brutal; I saw ep 1 of it on my android phone via crunchy (so it was SD) and compared to even their (sub-blura quality) HD stream the difference was astounding IMO.

If they do dub it I wonder if they could get Jason Douglas in it. I think that it is the rotoscoping but in what little of the show Iā€™ve seen I ā€œhearā€ Jason Douglas.

1 Like

Episode 13 ā€“

spoiler

So, Takao enters Nakamuraā€™s room and finds it veryā€¦ā€¦ normal. He steps into the room and closes the door behind him, taking a good look around. Once again, the complete silence is a bit disturbing. Takao breathes in Nakamuraā€™s scent and standing in the center of the room, slowly circles around, taking in all the little details of her room. He touches nothing, but seeing a notebook in a half open drawer, he opens the drawer a little further to reveal it fully. There are evil flowers drawn on the cover and the word ā€œsickoā€.

Takao takes the notebook from the drawer and just stares at the cover. He finally opens it to reveal Nakamuraā€™s true feelings. As Takao flips through the notebook, itā€™s obvious that Nakamura is just a lonely, isolated girl that feels trapped by the dead town she lives in. One page reveals some hope for her in that she thinks Takao is just like her and sheā€™s excited by that, saying that she will sign a contract with him. Takao thinks back over the things that led up to that.

Further reading reveals more of what Nakamura did to Takao and her interpretations of the results. Itā€™s a record of Takaoā€™s entire life since meeting her. The destruction of the classroom is in there as well. But then the following pages are blank and Takao frantically flips through them, looking for more. He finally finds the outcome of Nakamuraā€™s one chance at freedom ā€“ of getting to the other side ā€“ ā€œI failedā€. There are tears in Takaoā€™s eyes as he reads this and he tries to blink them back.

Suddenly, Nakamura bursts into the room! Takao turns his tearstained face to her and she smiles, pointing at the door for him to leave. Instead, he tries to talk to her, but she runs at him and grabbing her notebook from him, yells at him to leave. She runs from the room, and Takao, fully crying now, runs after her. Nakamura flees the house with Takao right behind her. They run until Takao is close enough to grab her arm and they both fall to the ground.

Both of them are breathing heavily as Takao pleads with Nakamura and tells her that they can find the other side right in this town. Nakamura attacks Takao and getting on top of him, she grabs his tie, asking him who he thinks he is. She yells and curses at him and Takao rolls backwards over his life, all the way back to when he was a baby. Then he thinks of the times spent with Nakamura. Fast forward through a sea of future possibilities, none of them good. Takao tells Nakamura to make a contract with him now. And the flower of evil continues to grow and thrive.

Such a powerful and emotional story! It just felt so real and human. The way itā€™s animated works perfectly for the story as well, as did those periods of complete and utter silence. And as it ends as ā€œpart oneā€, I am excited to think there may be a part two! Perhaps that fast forward part was a preview of things to come. I would love to see how this strange relationship between Nakamura and Takao works out.

1 Like

Episode 13 :end: is live at ANO

1 Like

I watched this series the other day, and it was much better than I thought it was going to be. I give it a high weird factor, thatā€™s for sure!

1 Like