Girls und Panzer

Girls & Panzer Delays Episode #6, Airs #5.5 Next Week

posted on 2012-11-05 23:28 EST by Lynzee Loveridge

Panzer does NOT mean tank. It means armor.
The proper name is Panzerkampfwagen, which means armored war wagon/vehicle. Warships with armored hulls were called panzerschiff.

Tank is a British term and was conceived to disguise the true nature of the development project in WW1. Originally, the Navy was tasked with developing the machine and they created the false cover of developing a new type of water tank.

The French call them Char.

Ep. 04

That battle was awesome!

Miho proves her mettle again, this time against St. Gloria in an actual match.
Sadly, her and her team lose, but she definitely gives them a run for their money, with a cat & mouse chase/fight in the city streets of Ooarai.

I already went over the fact that Panzer means Armor in a post I made in this thread earlier
 but you’re also wrong. To the Germans, it also means tank. Go get yourself a english/german dictionary and look up the word Panzer.

Episode 4

spoiler

those tanks at the very end are the American made M4 Sherman tank. It’s equipped with a 75mm gun. They were used by both the British and American soldiers. They’re not exactly the best tanks to come out of World War II. In fact, they’re pretty terible. The early models of the tank were actually death traps. The tank runs on High Octane Gasoline, which is highly flammable. When they get shot, more often than not, they’ll catch fire, and burn the crew up inside. The German’s nicknamed it the “Tommycooker” and the British called it the Ronson, after the lighter, because it “Lights up the first time, every time!” :slight_smile:

Also, I’d just like to add that the CR subs seriously need to stop referring to the Stug III as the “III Assault”
 it’s kind of stupid.

Watch Girls und Panzer on TAN Online

Schedule: Episode 01 Starts Friday Nov. 09 @ 2:00PM EST / 11:00AM PST

Episode 01 is now LIVE at TAN

Just got caught up to Episode 4 and it still amazes me that some Anime companies can take what seems like a stupid concept and can actually make an entertaining show out of it. This series is a lot of fun.

I know it’s based on the manga but could you see this show being pitched to an American company?

-Ok it’s about this girls’ school and they have an optional class elective that involves Tanks!

-and get this
 They live on a Aircraft Carrier!

Panzer still means ARMOR. Even the kind that you wear.
The Stg III is an abbreviation for Sturmgeschutz III, or Storm/Assault gun, mk III. It was based on the Pkw III (Panzerkampfwagen mkIII) chassis.
The word Sturm literally means Storm. After all, the original Sturmtruppen (Storm Troopers) stormed trenches. Assault is a synonym for storm in that sense. The Stg44, the first true assault rifle, was actually called the Sturmgewer 44, which translates as Storm Rifle 1944 pattern.

Ships that in US parlance were called CA (Armored Cruiser) have a German equivalent called the Panzerkruzer, which translates exactly as Armored Cruiser.

Don’t confuse post-WW2 colloquial German, with proper German.

For the record, the tank shown is the Panzerkampfwagen mkIV in it’s original 1939 pattern with a short-barreled 75mm gun.

The Panther was officially the Panzerkampfwagen mkV and the Tiger was the Panzerkampfwagen mk VI. Only the Konig (King) Tiger was not given a official Pkw designation.

I studied German in High School, this discussion is knocking some of the rust off my linguistic skills with it.

I’m going to have to catch up on this series.

Sehr gut nicht wahr?

Mark Gosdin

I never said that Panzer doesn’t mean Armor, I meant that the word panzer is also the word that germans use for what we call a Tank in english. Just because panzer means ARMOR in german, does not mean that it also doesn’t mean tank. Even if it didn’t during World War II, this Anime doesn’t take place, nor is it airing during World War II. The Germans never had a proper word for Tank. They referred to the British Mk.I as panzerauto, Armored Car. What’s so awful about them adopting the word Panzer as their word for Tank? We adopted the word Tank as our word for a Tank.

The “proper” German language isn’t used in the same capacity in Germany as it once was. Just like in English speaking countries, very few people speak “proper” English. There will always be slang words and colloquialisms. Just because “proper” German will tell you that the word Panzer doesn’t mean tank, doesn’t mean Germans don’t use it to refer to what we would call a Tank.

It’s funny that you’re so determined to drive in the fact that Panzer can only mean Armor, yet you say that SturmgeschĂŒtz is both Storm and Assault gun. So the word ‘sturm’ means both Storm and Assault? That’s cool, I didn’t know one word could mean two things, or even the combination of two words can turn into a different word. You can’t say one word can only mean one thing while another word can mean two things. There are plenty of languages where two words put together mean something else entirely. Like for example in Japanese, the kanji for Sea - æ”· and Pig - 豚 give you Dolphin. The Japanese don’t have a single word for Dolphin, so they use Sea Pig.

So I want to ask you, if you’re so determined to say that the word Panzer can’t also mean tank, what do the Germans use to refer to what we call a tank? And I mean in present day, not pre-World War II.

Also, I’ll just be more specific on what you said, the tank in the show is a Panzerkampfwagen Mk.IV Ausf. D, that’s the D variant of the PzKpfw IV. This Variant and all variants up until the G variant sported the short barreled, 75mm KwK 37 L/24 gun.

The official designation for the “king” tiger is Panzerkampfwagen Tiger Ausf B. It was also called the Tiger B or Tiger II. The Germans also referred to it as Königstiger, which when the two words that make the word are translated separately, you get King and Tiger, so King Tiger is what the Allied forces mistakingly began calling this thing, but the word Königstiger means Bengal Tiger.

Yes! Catch up! DO IT!! :evil:

This Anime doesn’t really go into a whole lot of German words (so far anyway), but I think it’s a really fun show, especially if you like tanks :slight_smile:

Ok, with you now. Sorry about the confusion, thought I’d ‘discovered’ something there.

And you are still wrong. Konig means King. It has since the late middle ages. Kaiser means Emperor. Like Tsar, Kaiser is derived from the name of the first Roman Emperor; Julius Caesar.

Actually, both are correct for the proverbial “given value of”. One is literal “Königstiger” does have King + Tiger in it as a compound word and could come across to English as Kingtiger. In practical terms a native German speaker shown a picture of a Bengal Tiger would tag it as a “Königstiger” in his or her native speech.

It appears that the WWII era German military meant “Bengal Tiger” when they named that particular Panzer model “Königstiger”. However since English and German have a common linguistic heritage the English speaking Allied military didn’t think Bengal Tiger when they hear the word. Not the first time for that sort of thing, wouldn’t be the last either.

Now where did I put that WD-40? Man is there ever a lot of rust on this German thing

Mark Gosdin

The part I bolded is what I’ve been trying to explain from the get-go. When you grow up in any country, you grow up learning the native language. So when you see an object, the word you associate with the object will be whatever word is used in your native language for that object. It’s one of the reasons why it’s so difficult to learn a new language once you’ve already learned your first language.

When trying to learn a new language, people will often think of it in terms of their native language, and rather than just understanding it for what it is, they over think it and try to translate it back to their native language
 I’m going to use the dolphin example again (which I don’t think I thanked Osaka for earlier).

When a native Japanese speaker looks at this word: 攷豚 They just see 攷豚. And if they actually know what these two kanji mean, and what they mean together, then the’ll associate that word with the object it describes. However when a non-native speaker of Japanese looks at the word, they will first try to translate it back to their own native language

Ok so you have the kanji there for Umi, that means Sea
 and then the other is Buta, that’s Pig
 so sea and pig
 Sea Pig! Wait what?
Unknown to this non-existent native english speaker, when you combine the kanji for Umi and Buta together, you get Iruka, which means Dolphin
 Go figure.

So when a native german speaker sees the word Königstiger, they see Königstiger and know what it means.
when a native english speaker sees the word Königstiger, they see a word that can translate back to english as King Tiger. But like I said earlier, and like mgosdin said, Königstiger – Wikipedia
Also German wikipedia has corrected me, the official designation for the Tiger II is “Panzerkampfwagen VI Ausf B”

oops! this got really long really quckly, and this got WAAAAAY off topic just as quickly. SORRY!

Yes it got kinda out of hand, but it’s been fun hasn’t it?

You’ve got three of the most confusing languages in the world involved here, Japanese, German and the ever wonderful English.

I speak Spanish too - as do so many of my Florida neighbors - and “Este es muy facil.” compared to those others. :silly:

Mark Gosdin

Episode 02 is now LIVE at TAN

VIDEO: Oarai High School Marching Band Performs “Girls und Panzer” Tribute

November 19, 2012 7:10pm CST
Anime fans double the attendance count at celebration of city’s fishing industry

Girls & Panzer’s ‘Water War’ Video Anime Digest Streamed

posted on 2012-11-22 08:40 EST by Egan Loo
Anime short to be included in 1st Blu-ray on December 21

Episode 03 is now LIVE at TAN

World of Tanks players have greatly takin to this anime