Girls und Panzer

Girls und Panzer

Genres: action, comedy, slice of life, tournament
Themes: School, Tanks
Objectionable content: Mild
Plot Summary: (TAN) You may have heard of kung fu, but the girls at Oarai High School practice gun-fu. It’s called Sensha-do, and it’s the martial art of operating armored tanks! Winning the national Sensha-do championship is crucial, so they go to extremes to draft the best students, which is how Miho Nishizumi, who HATES tanks, is drafted to join doomsday-driven driver Mako, even-triggered gunner Hana, highly receptive radio operator Saori and combustible tank-fangirl Yukari. It’s mad, it’s metal, and mayhem is guaranteed! Marching band and drill team take cover, ‘cause the parade ground’s about to be rock and rolled over in: Girls und Panzer!
Number of episodes: 12 + 2 recaps
Vintage: 2012-10-08 to 2013-03-23

Girls und Panzer info on ANN
Girls und Panzer Official JP Homepage
Watch Girls Und Panzer on HiDive!
Watch GUP OVA’s on HiDive!
Watch GUP the Movie on HiDive!

English Sentai trailer

Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES “GIRLS UND PANZER”

HOUSTON, September 30, 2012 — You’re cordially invited to find out if size really does matter in Sentai Filmworks’ newest acquisition: Girls und Panzer. Directed by Tsutomu Mizushima (Another, Blood-C) with series composition by Reiko Yoshida (K-ON!, Kaleido Star), sound direction by Yoshikazu Iwanami (The World God Only Knows, Hakuoki) and music by Shiroh Hamaguchi (TARI TARI, One Piece).

You may have heard of kung fu, but the girls at Oarai High School practice gun-fu - really, really BIG 75mm gun-fu, in fact. It’s called Sensha-do, and it’s the martial art of operating armored tanks! They take it seriously too, and since winning the national Sensha-do championship is such a huge deal at Oarai, they sometimes go to extreme ends in order to get the best students from Panzer class to sign up. Which is how Miho Nishizumi, who HATES operating tanks, gets drafted to join doomsday-driven driver Mako, even-triggered gunner Hana, highly receptive radio operator Saori and combustible tank-fangirl and loader Yukari as the incomparable Anko Team. They may not be on the half-track to fame and fortune, and maybe a few of them would rather shop for tank tops than become tops in tanks, but once their focus is locked and loaded, they’re absolutely driven. It’s mad, it’s metal and mayhem is guaranteed! So marching band and drill teams take cover, ‘cause the parade ground’s about to be rock and rolled under in the extra-curricular, armored vehicular spectacular that delivers in every particular: GIRLS UND PANZER!

Girls und Panzer will be available soon through select digital outlets with a home video release to follow in 2013.

About Sentai Filmworks:
Sentai Filmworks is one of the fastest-growing anime companies in North America, producing hit series like High School of the Dead, Towanoquon, Samurai Girls, Guin Saga, Needless and Angel Beats as well as high profile theatrical films such as Grave of the Fireflies and Appleseed. Sentai Filmworks’ programs can be found on home video distributed by Ingram Entertainment, Baker & Taylor, Section23Films, The Right Stuf and other good and fine distributors. Digital product offerings may be found at iTunes, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Zune Marketplace, Anime Network, Playstation Network, Google Play and YouTube.
www.sentai-filmworks.com

Girls und Panzer (movie) - Vintage: 2015-11-21

How to Watch Girls und Panzer in Order

-Ep 1-4
-OVA Ep 4 (Although this is a little off since the School Discipline Committee is in the episode)
-Ep 5-7
-Anzio OVA (Fight with Azio)
-Ep 8
-Ep 9 to 6:20
-OVA Ep 5 (Yukari & Erwin’s Reconnaissance)
-Ep 9 6:21 to end
-Ep 10 -12
-OVA Ep 6 (Post Fight Victory Party)
Note other OVA episodes are 1 shots that don’t take place in any specific time during the story and can be watched whenever
-1st Movie

1 Like

Squid Girl Helmer Mizushima, Strike Witches Advisor Reveal Girls und Panzer TV Anime

posted on 2012-05-16 13:15 EDT by Egan Loo
Military teen anime also has Bandai Visual publicity’s Hirooka, Yukikaze producer

Girls und Panzer TV Anime Slated for October

posted on 2012-07-27 00:00 EDT by Ko Ransom

I’m really wanting to see this!
So I’m kind of hoping Sentai picks this up.
Or at the very least, CR does.

Girls und Panzer’s 2nd Promo Streamed with Schoolgirls & Tanks

posted on 2012-08-09 10:40 EDT by Egan Loo
Squid Girl’s Mizushima directs school anime with Strike Witches designer Shimada

I know those tanks!

I used to play this strategy game called Men of War, and it had lots of tanks!
Plus, World War II era tanks are just really cool.

So in this video, there is a…

Panzer 38(t), Type 89 Chi-Ro, Stug III, M3 Lee and of course, a Panzer IV
Both Panzers and the Stug are German tanks (the 38(t) is a Czechoslovakian design though), while the M3 Lee is an American tank, and the Chi-Ro is Japanese. :slight_smile:

I really want to see this now… I’m sure if anything, CR will pick it up.

Girls und Panzer TV Anime to Debut on October 8

posted on 2012-08-24 16:08 EDT by Joseph First

Well, that’s one good thing. I don’t think this show will appeal to me, the similar-sounding Soranowoto didn’t, but who knows?

Aya Hirano Joins “Girls und Panzer” Cast

September 24, 2012 11:44am CDT
Eri Kitamura and Hisako Kanemoto also added to sprawling cast

VIDEO: “Girls und Panzer” Anime Commercial

September 28, 2012 4:35pm CDT
Squid Girl’s Tsutomu Mizushima directs moe mecha anime

Coming this November to Anime Network Online:

Girls und Panzer

You may have heard of kung fu, but the girls at Oarai High School practice gun-fu. It’s called Sensha-do, and it’s the martial art of operating armored tanks! Winning the national Sensha-do championship is crucial, so they go to extremes to draft the best students, which is how Miho Nishizumi, who HATES tanks, is drafted to join doomsday-driven driver Mako, even-triggered gunner Hana, highly receptive radio operator Saori and combustible tank-fangirl Yukari. It’s mad, it’s metal, and mayhem is guaranteed! Marching band and drill team take cover, ‘cause the parade ground’s about to be rock and rolled over in: Girls und Panzer!

Language: Japanese w/ English Subtitles
Schedule: Coming Soon

All 12 episodes will be available to watch on Anime Network Online for FREE!

Considering the other 2 listed are on CR and the Nov. Free terms, I think TAN let this slip before CR announced it as a simulcast.

Crunchyroll to Stream Girls und Panzer TV Anime

posted on 2012-10-03 14:52 EDT by Crystalyn Hodgkins
ACTAS, Tsutomu Mizushima’s schoolgirl/tank series to premiere on October 10

Girls und Panzer Blu-rays to Have Original Anime Shorts

posted on 2012-10-05 00:00 EDT by Egan Loo
12-minute short in each BD; 1st BD to bundle box drawn by Strike Witches’ Shimada

Ep. 01

Definitely different from what I expected it to be, still rather enjoyable though.
I think I’m going to really enjoy this one, especially when they start getting into the actual tank battles.

This may not be of any interest to anyone else, but this first episode explains something I was wondering about ever since the first previews… Why the heck do they have tanks from 3 different countries!

Actual show spoiler?

If that Panzer IV is any indication of the condition of the rest of their tanks, it explains everything… all their tanks are scrap right now so I wouldn’t expect them to have any sort of theme going as far as where their tanks are originating from :frowning:

Allow me to talk about tanks for a moment…
Caution: You may learn something about tanks here…
Only spoilers if you didn’t watch any of the preview videos… so not really spoilers.

spoiler

All of these tanks were designed before or during WWII.

Miho’s tank is a Panzer IV Ausf. D which is the 4th variant (of 10) of the Panzer IV tank. Created by the Germans.

Their tank team also includes:

A Chi-Ro (also known as the Type 89 I-Go) which was a tank made by the Japanese.

A Panzer 38(t) which was used by the Germans, but to be fair was desigend by the Czechoslovakians but after the German occupation of the country, it was still manufactured because the Germans saw it as a much better tank than the Panzer I and II.

That pink monstrosity is an M3 Lee, which was designed and manufactured by the US, but was used extensively by British forces.

Lastly, the Red/Yellow tank is the Stug III Ausf F (I think, either that or the Ausf F/8). Also designed by the Germans, although it was initially used as an Assault Gun, meaning it supported infantry, it is quite effective as a tank destroyer.

By the way, in case you were wondering…

German lesson!

Panzer - is the german word for Armor, or Tank… You may also see PzKpfw used instead of Panzer when referring to a particular German tank(PzKpfw IV for example). This is short for Panzerkampfwagen, which translates to Armored Battle Car (or Armored Battle Wagon which sounds sillier)… We know Panzer is Armor, Kampf pretty much means Battle, and Wagen means Car (think Volkswagen! which is people’s car by the way)

Ausf. - is short for Ausführung which means Variant. So when you see something like "PzKpfw IV Ausf. F, it means Panzer IV variant F. The Germans really enjoyed making lots of different variants of their tanks. The Panzer IV alone has at least 10.

Stug - is short for Sturmgeschütz which means Assult Gun. Like I said before, the Stug was an Assault gun. Sturm means Assault (or storm, but in this context it’s assault) and Geschütz means gun.

Questions? No? Alright! Class dismissed!

If you hadn’t guessed, I really like tanks from this particular era…

Also another note about this episode
Spoilers and bad language follow:

spoiler

:ohmy: Holy sh*t they’re on a giant aircraft carrier!
http://i.imgur.com/00H4T.jpg

I’m really going to like this show…

Girls und Panzer BD/DVD Ad Previews Beach Video Anime

posted on 2012-10-11 15:00 EDT by Egan Loo
“Water War” short in 1st BD along with series box drawn by Strike Witches’ Shimada

Some say M3 Lee, others say M3 Grant. (I am not familiar with the subject.)

Wikipedia mentions M3 Lee and M3 Grant, but does not have a nice side-by-side comparison of their silohouettes.

Basically, the Lee was originally created out of the immediate necessity for a tank with a bigger gun to combat the panzer IV and other tanks with thick armor. It had a lot of flaws which the British weren’t very happy with. They ordered the tank to be modified. This included replacing the turret of the Lee. Among other things, This new turret replaced the machine gun cupola on top of the turret for one with just a hatch. The US used the letter M in the designation for all of their stuff, so when the British got these tanks they were stuck with the M3 medium tank, and the M3 light tank (known as the M3 Stuart) so instead of being confused, they designated the M3 medium tank with the original turret with cupola the General Lee, and the M3 medium tank with the new british turret the General Grant.

If you look in the show, you’ll see that the tank in their possession has a machine gun mounted on the top of the turret (or at least the cupola for it). That’s how you can tell it’s a Lee.

The Lee also had a version of their turret without the machine gun, but the Grant never did, so if it has a machine gun it’s most definitely a Lee. The Grant’s turret is also a lot lower and wider than the turret on the Lee, but unless you have a Lee to compare with, there’s no point in mentioning it… I’ll find a picture.

EDIT: PICTURE!

spoiler

http://i.imgur.com/PGyfi.jpg
See, the turret on the Grant (left) has a lower profile, but is also much wider than the Lee (right). This Lee has no machine gun, but still has the Lee turret.

Episode 2 wasn’t bad, although I’m a little bias toward this show, what with the tanks and everything…

I’d like to point out that in Episode 2, the subtitles label the tank with no turret as a “Panzer III Ausf. F with an assault gun”. This is incorrect.

This is a Stug III Ausf F. like I stated earlier.

The Stug III is built on the chassis of the panzer III, but that’s all. The Stug III was initially used as an assault gun, with a low velocity 75mm gun. They filled a support role for infantry. It wasn’t until later that they mounted a high velocity 75mm gun on it, thus becoming a tank destroyer.

The variant seen in the show is an F variant which had a high velocity gun on it. That there is a tank destroyer. Not an assault gun.

Now that we have that squared away…
Time for more info on tanks!

spoiler

Welcome back class! Today we’ll be talking about how to tell the difference between the Panzer III and Panzer IV at a glance.

The Panzer III and Panzer IV look very similar as far as the way their chassis and turret look overall. But there’s a very simple way to tell the difference… if you can get a look at its side…

You can see that the Panzer IV (top) has 8 road wheels, while the panzer III (bottom) has only six!

This also means that the overall size of the Panzer IV is larger than that of the Panzer III, but I find the easiest way to tell the difference between the two is to look at the wheels.

Telling the difference between the different variants of a particular tank, such as those between the panzer IV Ausf D and the Panzer IV Ausf E is a bit trickier, and that’ll be for another time!

Time to spend some money…

“Girls und Panzer” Storms the Plastic Model World

November 02, 2012 7:59pm CDT
Kits of the titular tank dominate Amazon Japan’s hobby plamo chart