Guilty Crown

Guilty Crown

Guilty_Crown

Official Japanese Website

ANN Page

Genres: action, drama, psychological, romance, science fiction
Themes: apocalypse, dystopia, epidemic, fighting, genetic weapons, genocide, mecha, post-apocalyptic, real robot, strategic warfare, super virus, tragedy
Objectionable content: Significant
Running time: half hour per episode
Number of episodes: 22
Vintage: 2011-10-13 to 2012-03-22
Opening Theme: 1. “My Dearest” by supercell
2. “The Everlasting Guilty Crown” by EGOIST
Ending Theme: 1. “Departures ~Anata ni Okuru Ai no Uta~” by EGOIST
2. “Kokuhaku” (Confession) by supercell

Plot Summary: Shu’s entire world was shattered after a meteorite crashed into Japan, unleashing the lethal Apocalypse Virus. The chaos and anarchy born of the outbreak cost Shu his family and reduced him to a timid, fearful shell of the boy he’d once been. His life took another unexpected turn after a chance encounter with the stunning pop star, Inori. This mysterious beauty introduced Shu to the King’s Right Hand: a genetic mutation that allows him to reach into hearts of mortals and turn them into weapons. Shu finds himself caught in the crossfire between those who desperately seek his newfound strength. On one side lurks a clandestine government agency, and on the other, Inori and the spirited band of rebels known as Funeral Parlour. The choice is Shu’s to make - and the world is his to change. (from ANN)

Guilty Crown: Lost Christmas (OAV) (Prequel)

guilty-crown-lost-christmas-ova

ANN Page

Genres: action
Objectionable content: Significant
Running time: 12 minutes
Vintage: 2012-07-26

000-AN-use-a

Guilty Crown: Lost Christmas PC Game Bundles Anime Short

posted on 2012-03-22 14:30 EDT
12-minute short from Production I.G to tell original story

Episode 8 –

spoiler

Shu finds out his father was an expert on the Apocalypse Virus. He’s a bit surprised at that and Gai wonders why Shu knows so little of his father. But Shu explains it by saying his father died so long ago that he hardly knew him.

Shu’s next mission is to infiltrate a shrine that is a cover for the GHQ. Gai wants what is inside and Shu is to use Souta’s Void. But he must also use Inori as bait to get Souta to the right place at the right time and he doesn’t like that part. And there is another visitor to Kurosu’s grave, who is also seen again later on.

Shu sets up the circumstances for the mission and just as Souta is about to confess his feelings to Inori, he interrupts them. I think that was on purpose! I know Shu has his own feelings for Inori and I know it’s complicated too. Anyway, he gets the void and almost confessed his own feelings before he realizes – much to his embarrassment - that the members of Funeral Parlor are there and witnessed everything! They tease him as the mission commences.

Shu uses the Void – a camera this time – to take a picture of the facility’s gate, which opens it. But after they enter, the mysterious man from earlier shows up at another entrance and a guard recognizes him as Chief Keido just before the man shoots him. He uses a key card to open the door and the name that comes up is Kurosu Ouma! It also looks like this man is the first one to get to the prize.

When Gai enters the vault, he is angry to discover the object missing. And he also realizes it was Keido that took it. Meanwhile, Keido is back at Kruosu’s grave and he carries a large cylinder; within is what looks like a big rock.

Souta wakes up on a bench. Inori is gone, but Shu is there and says he won’t help him anymore. Souta realizes that Shu also likes Inori and they argue about it. But afterwards, it seems they will be friends after all.

On the way home, Shu wonders what Voids really are since he says that his “right hand is touching people’s hearts”. But Inori can only tell him that Voids change as people’s hearts change. Then he wonders if his power can change the same way. And I liked the fact that Inori joined the group photo in the ED. Even with people, she always seems to be so alone.

I’m basically watching this show for the artwork and music. The storyline’s okay, but this fridge logic:

So, this Keido guy is able to infiltrate the “ultra-secure” facility using the identification card of a man who did like, 10 years ago? And if he’s known, why couldn’t he just enter as himself?

Maybe there’s a reason, but it just seems like poor writing used to establish that relationship.

Episode 9 –

spoiler

I see Yahiro popped up again. And Shu only helps him because of his brother. He hasn’t forgiven Yahiro and who would for selling him out like that? Interesting too that the virus transferred like that. But it looks like it takes on a life of its own. And does this mean Jun is healed?

Then why ask Shu to kill him? It’s sad that Jun can see the other side of people and he wants to die before he ends up hating his brother. And it seems that Jun is controlling the Endlave that captured Yahiro. This part was incredibly emotional. Jun forces Shu into killing him. He dies thanking Shu and loving his brother. Later, Shu has to tell Yahiro his brother died at his hands. This must have been hard after promising to help Jun and I wonder how Yahiro will react to Shu now. But I guess it also explains why Jun was reaching for the knife in the beginning of the episode.

Another funny thing about this episode was when the girls were reading their fortunes and they both actually came true in a roundabout way. But now since Hare had followed Shu and Yahiro, perhaps she has seen too much.

Episode 10 –

spoiler

It seems that Gai might be the son of someone important and the he says that the reason he fights is a woman. I wonder if his illness is related to the virus and why Inori is the one to treat him. There is more mystery here!

Shu messes up a mission, but eventually returns to school. I wonder why he hesitated in taking Inori’s Void this time. And I also wonder what his dream was about. Could Inori be someone from Shu’s past? He also seems to be going insane. It looks as if he can’t deal with things anymore. But Hare is really concerned and it’s sweet of her to take care of him.

Gai even goes so far as to hold a gun on Shu to force him to participate in another mission, but in the end frees him from Funeral Parlor. And again, Hare hears things she should not be a witness too. I doubt she will turn anyone in though. Later, Shu snaps again as Inori tries to give him her new song. Shu looks at Inori and sees someone else – someone consumed by the virus. But I wonder why he called Inori a monster.

Keido gave the rock he stole to Yan. Shu’s mother looks to be more involved in this too. Keido knows of Shu’s power and informs a surprised Haruka not only of his power, but also the fact that her son is working with Funeral Parlor. The rock itself is to be removed from the country via plane and Funeral Parlor means to prevent that. But GHQ is on to them and has prepared an elaborate trap. Too late, Gai realizes something is wrong.

Funeral Parlor breaks into the empty cockpit of the unmanned plane as Seiga promises to send Gai to heaven. What is he up to? He tells his people to take Vaccine D and then pushes a button that makes the rock glow in the Command Center. Did he release the virus???

Shu is still in a bad place and seems torn between what he should do and what he wants. He even comes on to Hare and she slaps him, feeling that he only sees her as a substitute for Inori. Shu is surprised that Hare knows about his secrets and it seems to pull him back to normal.

Things happen fast as the virus attacks not only Gai’s group on the plane, but also the Funeral Parlor members back at their base. In fact people everywhere are being affected, as someone mentions “genetic resonance” and the fact that the rock has been “activated”. However, all of this looks like a plot so that Keido can take over. It also looks like Keido is responsible for the Lost Christmas incident! And now Inori is worried that “she” will awaken again. I love how this show just keeps you on the edge of your seat!!! The ED was sad too with Shu and Inori walking in separate directions.

Episode 11 –

spoiler

It looks like the “Lost Christmas” all over again! Daryl attacks the command center and kills his father. With his death, Keido declares it was a terrorist attack and does take over as I knew he would. Keido even blames the release of the virus on Funeral Parlor and now has the perfect excuse to take over the military as well. At least Shu’s mother is all right, although it looks like she is going to be a pawn in Keido’s plans. However, a timely attack from Dan allows her to get away, but Dan gets shot in the process.

Shu finally gets it together and decides to save everyone, by asking his friends to help. He chooses the ones with Voids he can use and unfortunately Yahiro shows up as well and claims Shu will be using them as tools again. His confused friends question Shu and I wonder what he will tell them.

Inori and Gai are on the run, but Gai is in bad shape from the virus. Inori thinks she can save him with a song. I still don’t know what exactly Inori is and why the virus doesn’t affect her. Luckily, or perhaps not, they run into Shu’s mother. Gai assures Haruka that her son is safe in school, but Inori is confident that he will come to them.

Meanwhile, Shu decides to tell his friends the truth and uses Hare as an example of his powers. All but Yahiro are stunned by this and Shu tries to explain. Hare has a really cool healing Void by the way! Yahiro has to put in his two cents and tell everyone that Shu used this power to help Funeral Parlor in the past and now wants to help them again. Even with this, Shu is able to convince his friends to help and I think even Yahiro will go with him.

Haruka works with Gai and Inori so that Inori can broadcast her song. With thoughts of Shu, she sings a beautiful song, which also happens to be the ED. Something happens to her and spreads outwards through the city, breaking the hold of the virus on the populace. I wonder if this is the “monster” that she mentioned before. As she sings, Shu and his friends breach the barricades and are in sight of Inori. However, before he can reach her, he is going to have to face Daryl.

Shu manages to get past Daryl with the help of Yahiro’s Void and reaches Inori just as she ends her song. But before he can get to her, someone appears out of thin air behind her and takes her Void. He attacks Shu, but Gai steps in front of him, sacrificing himself. So, there is someone else with Shu’s power and he has taken Inori, leaving Shu with a dying Gai. And with the end of Inori’s song, Keido has started some kind of apocalypse! This is so exciting and I can’t wait to see how it all turns out!!

Funimation Reveals Guilty Crown Anime’s Dub Cast, Trailer

posted on 2013-05-20 15:00 EDT
Austin Tindle, Micah Solusod, Alexis Tipton to star in dub version shipping August 27

I want to like this show. It has a cool limited edition.

But I’ve made it to ep 3 and doing so has been like pulling teeth. I really do think that Funimation got conned by the Japanese with this show.

It’s blatant wish fulfillment for the (expected) viewer but it doesn’t have the decency to make the viewer stand-in a badass in some “second level” fictional world (eg:Accel World, SAO). “Contrived” describes everything I’ve seen.

I’m rather disappointed with the dub for this one. Somehow I expected a Sentai actor (Neves) to be a cooler character than the paralyzed girl who is there for no reason but fanservice.

“Four Years After” Promo Looks Ahead To “Guilty Crown” Blu-ray Box and Complete Soundtrack Set

March 17, 2016 8:50pm CDT
Box sets, CD, and recording coming April 27th