Gunslinger Girl/Gunslinger Girl - Il Teatrino (TV)/Gunslinger Girl - Il Teatrino (OAV)

[size=16]Gunslinger Girl[/size]

[quote]Genres: action, drama, psychological, science fiction
Themes: assassins, cyborg, girls with guns, terrorists
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: “Henrietta” was an innocent little girl when her entire family was massacred and she was left for dead. She was rescued by a privately-owned social welfare organization and given cybernetic components over her battered body. Brainwashed by the organization, she and four other girls now work as cold-blooded assassins, doing the dirty work for the Italian government.
Number of episodes: 13
Vintage: 2003-10-08 to 2004-02-19[/quote]
ANN Info Page

Gunslinger Girl @ Internet Movie Firearms Database

RightStuf Link:
Gunslinger Girl Products

[size=16]Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino[/size]

[quote]Genres: adventure, drama, science fiction
Themes: assassins, cyborg, girls with guns, terrorists
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: When the Social Welfare Agency investigates the disappearance of an operative, their inquiry leads them right into the lair of their rival, the Five Republics. The assassin Triela infiltrates the hostile organization, but her search is cut short when she finds herself staring down the barrel of a gun…
Number of episodes: 13
Vintage: 2008-01-07 to 2008-03-31[/quote]
ANN Info Page

Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino @ Internet Movie Firearms Database

[size=16]Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino (OAV)[/size]

[quote]Genres: action, drama
Themes: assassins, cyborgs, girls with guns, terrorists
Plot Summary: After Jean and Rico finish a mission, Jean and José head off for a short break with Rico and Henrietta. They visit their old home, and Jean reflects on old memories of their younger sister, Enrica, who died in a terrorist attack.
Number of episodes: 2
Vintage: 2008-10-24[/quote]
ANN Info Page

I’ve just watched the first five episodes of Gunslinger Girl and I have to say that while it is an outstanding series, it is just a bit, um… creepy. That does not mean I’m not enjoying it or will not want to see/buy the sequels. I do have to say that the research and attention to details on the guns the girls use is amazing.

So define the creepy for us. I’ve seen copies of that show all over the place, and it’s kind of caught my interest.

[quote=fillet]
So define the creepy for us. I’ve seen copies of that show all over the place, and it’s kind of caught my interest.[/quote]

Well, the obvious creepy factor is middle school girls with guns. The not quite apparent at first creepy factor is that [details=spoiler]the girls are all cyborgs with no memories of their past. Some of them were so severely wounded for whatever reason that the cyborg process is the only thing that has kept them alive, but in one case, the parents of a chronically ill girl gave up custody to the Social Welfare Agency because they could not keep up with the medical bills![/details]

This sounds so familiar but I know I haven’t seen it. Is there another anime or something with a similar theme?

I saw most of it when it aired on IFC and I agree with you about the slight creepiness Newshawk, but it is a great anime. I loved the story and location it takes place in and

who would ever expect sweet little girl assassins?

In addition, I liked the way the characters developed and what

the “handlers” thought of the girls and what the girls thought of themselves.

I agree about the setting, Wicca. I watched the first scene of episode one and almost immediately realized it was Naples. I spent many days in that city while I was in the Navy. It was neat to see a place in an anime that I had actually been in!

Saw the first season and really liked it. I have to get around to seeing the second season and OAV.

I love the first season, but the second season is a big disappointment in comparison. The second season animation sucks compared to the beauty of the first season. There is almost no action in the second season when compared to the first. The plot is much slower. Lastly, the Gunslinger Girls are redesigned to have massive ‘moe’ eyes. Their eyes make them really unintentionally creepy. For example, look at Rico in Il Teatrino:
http://www.theanimenetwork.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/rico.jpg
The show is still worth watching if you like the first season, but be sure to lower your expectations.

[quote=BruceLee007]
I love the first season, but the second season is a big disappointment in comparison. The second season animation sucks compared to the beauty of the first season. There is almost no action in the second season when compared to the first. The plot is much slower. Lastly, the Gunslinger Girls are redesigned to have massive ‘moe’ eyes. Their eyes make them really unintentionally creepy. For example, look at Rico in Il Teatrino:
http://www.theanimenetwork.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/rico.jpg
The show is still worth watching if you like the first season, but be sure to lower your expectations.[/quote]

Unless your expectations are Golgo 13 meets Little Snow Fairy Sugar…

As they say, “Stuff happens”, especially when you switch production houses between series.

So I’m watching a show on the Outdoor Channel called “Best Defense”. It’s about personal defense, with emphasis on concealed carry of weapons. The host, Michael Bane, mainly does the “wraparounds”, setting up the topic and wrapping up the ideas presented in each episode.

Michael has a segment where he talks about different aspects of concealed carry such as highlighting different types of guns to carry. It appears to be shot in his workshop at home. I watched it one time and there was a closeup on a gun and in the background I spotted a familiar logo. When they went back to a wide shot I confirmed that he has a Gunslinger Girl poster of some sort hung over a window. I knew there was more than one reason I like this show!

I cannot wait to buy the complete series box set. I’ve only seen the first season when it played on IFC and I’m a fan. I don’t find the girls with guns creepy. I’m just glad I’m not in their crosshairs. lol

That was an initial response to the series. Now that I’ve seen both seasons and the OVA I love the series (even with the moeification of Il Teatrino.) It was more of a psychological study than just an action series. Now I want a Sig P239 and a FN P90…

So, I finally finished up season 2 earlier, after having it on my Stalled list for over a year, and I have to say, this series is just way too awesome! I was crying my eyes out by the time it ended.
I don’t think I can even remember the last time I cried so much watching something… movies or otherwise.

It’s been a couple years at least since I watched the first season, so I’m not too sure why I only gave it a 2.5 rating.
I may have to go back to it for a second watch just to see if my opinion has changed on it or not.

The soundtrack, particularly for season 2, is just absolutely stunning though.
This is by far my favorite song from S2.

This series is definitely one to watch, at least once in your life.
Though you might not want to marathon it like I did, it’s just way too emotionally draining.

I have the first season. I really should, & want the second.I am bummed. :frowning: Must see season 2.

[quote=lunar101]
I have the first season. I really should, & want the second.I am bummed. :frowning: Must see season 2.[/quote]

Well, if you’re not opposed to watching it online, FUNi has all of the second season currently up on their homepage.

http://www.funimation.com/gunslinger-girl-il-teatrino

[quote=TheCoffeeGod]

[quote=lunar101]
I have the first season. I really should, & want the second.I am bummed. :frowning: Must see season 2.[/quote]

Well, if you’re not opposed to watching it online, FUNi has all of the second season currently up on their homepage.

http://www.funimation.com/gunslinger-girl-il-teatrino[/quote]

If you’re a Netflix subscriber, both seasons and the OVA are available for streaming, too.

Crunchyroll Adds “Gunslinger Girl” From Funimation To Catalog

September 22, 2017 9:45pm CDT
Series goes live tonight

Crunchyroll Adds “Gunslinger Girl - Il Teatrino”

November 02, 2017 4:30pm CDT
More anime series go live throughout the evening