Hand Maid May

Hand Maid May

Genres: comedy, romance, science fiction
Themes: fanservice, harem, maids, robot girl
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: Saotome Kazuya is a computer whiz. One day his friend Nanbara, threatens him with a computer virus. Trying to stop the virus, Kazuya ends up making a special order. May is a cyberdoll that arrives at his door a few minutes later and she is 1/6th the size of a normal person, which makes for many awkward situations. Not to mention the fact Kazuya can’t even afford to keep May. Cyberdyne is not satisfied with Kazuya’s non-payments and will do anything to retrieve CBD May.
Number of episodes: 11
Vintage: 2000-07-26 to 2000-09-27

ANN Info Page

ANN Review: Hand Maid May DVD 3

by Allen Divers, Jan 2nd 2002

This is actually the first and only series I had ever purchased without watching first.

Way back before YouTube ever existed, I use to do a lot of AMV watching at AnimeMusicVideos.org and I winded up running across a really well done AMV of Hand Maid May to the tune of Barbie by Aqua (I happen to love Aqua by the way). It was almost perfectly lip-synched, and the scenes fit ever so neatly into place with the music. Out of all the AMVs I have ever watched, this was only the second one that has ever provoked me into wanting to watch the series (a Vandread AMV to Robot by t.A.T.u. was the other).

So I bought the boxset the next day, not ever really knowing what it was about save for the scenes I saw in the AMV. To my surprise, though a shorter series than most, I actually really enjoyed it.

It’s a really cute series with lots of humor and sexual innuendos.

thats a real good show i have it to i agree its a A as well

It’s really hard to appreciate shows filled with fan service, since you KNOW it’s only in there to garnish attention, and this show seems to be no exception. >_>

I always meant to pick up this series and just never got around to it. Maybe I will hunt down a copy one of these days.

Wow, this thing is rated really well, ill have to try finding it somewhere and give it a watch.

Amazon or eBay is probably your best bet now a days, it’s been OOP for quite some time.

Yeah, I know. I kept meaning to order it when it was still on Right Stuf, but it sold out during one of the Geneon sales. I have seen it pretty reasonably on eBay though. But I have to watch my funds for the next month or so.

This kinda started out slow and had me questioning the A ratings, but after 5 episodes or so it started to get really good.

www.animecornerstore.com still appears to have new sets at close to MSRP which was $89.95 when the set first came out. Also appears www.DVDEmpire.com has one used set for about what a used set is going for on Ebay. Says like new which with them is usually well like new. Maybe some box or case damage ,but the disc have always been fine as long as it says it’s DVD empire as the seller.

So, in between everything else going on, I finally got done with the first disc last night.

I’ve probably watched this about 10 times all the way through over the years, and to this day, it’s still just as enjoyable as it was the first time around.

Finished up DVD 2 last night.

I actually forgot about some of the super funny parts in these set of eps.

Finished this up the other night.
And I have to say, it’s just as good as it ever was years ago when I first watched it.
This series has definitely survived the Test of Time and aged rather well.

Also, I thought I’d point this out since I found it rather humorous.
7 years before that horrible Kamina character from TTGL popularized it, Ikariya the squidbot was styling these glasses… and looking good while doing it too!

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/3478/hmmcolikadas.jpg

I was thinking earlier, with all the semi-recent Geneon license rescues, especially by Sentai, I’m kind of surprised this one hasn’t been picked up to be put back on the market.

It’s been OOP for awhile now.

Though I already own the Geneon boxset, so they wouldn’t be getting any money from me, I still think this would be a nice addition to Sentai’s library.
Partially, because it fits in with their other stuff, and partially because I’m kind of saddened that it’s not still in print for others to enjoy.

You know I think this is one of those titles that Geneon/Pioneer actually owned so it may have been held up in that Geneon Universal deal. Funimation just now seems to be making progress with the stuff they had so who knows maybe it will happen.

There is a lot of the earlier Pioneer stuff I’d like to see get a rescue re-release.
Cause I still worry about a lot of the earlier DVD’s having issues from poor manufacturing of the time.

2 Likes

Cool can finally retire the DVD’s.

1 Like
3 Likes

Hand Maid May - Opening from Blu-ray

1 Like