Hellsing

Sometimes BGM comes to the forefront because the mind brings it there because it is cool sounding, at least that’s been my experience. I even have some anime character theme songs and game BGM on my MP3 player, not that I should probably admit that lol.

I know that there are a few shows that I watched for the music (usually ended badly) but I can’t recall if I’ve dropped one because the music sucked. I know there are many shows where I skip the opening theme because I don’t care for it. Which reminds me that Crunchyroll/Funi/TAN ought to add a “chapter skip” to their videos for that purpose.

Hellsing Ultimate 1-8 only sits on my shelf because it was on sale, had extras and I needed something for Crispin Freeman to sign but I might just have to break out the blurays if I keep checking out this thread…

or you could watch it on CN OD?

I also skip the intros after the first episode because they are there as an artifact from theater and live-TV formatting of shows. You ahve to have something like the intros for people to get into their seats in a theater (not sure why cause most every showing runs a little late), and have to make sure people know a new show has begun on TV. Thus a reason why many shows began with DVD to remove the intros and allow you to play the episodes without the intro and outro. There I like a good volume so you can hear it, otherwise the reason that actors are talking and getting paid to do so is because the viewer should be able to hear their lines. When the music drowns that out unless it will be played off in the program, there is a problem.

music that sets the mood for the most part I only sense the mood and not the music. Baby Elephant Waltz would really bring you out of the stromtrooper chase in Star Wars, so it needs something to prevent from having dead air and Williams put just what worked but allowed you to hear Ford gasp while he was running and not be drowned out bey the music or Chewy, or the blasters firing.

When you have a voice like Freeman doing Alucard which is very pronounced and always easy to understand with the eloquence and the music drowns them out… you have problems.

Maybe they just auto-tune everything now and have no idea how to work with sound anymore? I think I heard some organs in the first episode, but it was the story that I always remember unles it is a theme song or a “music” anime, similar to a musical, but more focusing on the anime being about music (AKB, K-on, etc).

Personally, I have a hard time hearing Freeman over the sound of my own laughter as the man just can’t help but be a ham in almost all of his roles, whether hamminess is appropriate or not :slight_smile:

When TV shows have a memorable theme it helps keep 'em memorable lol. Sadly American TV has done away with the theme song by and large (gotta get those commercials in).

I looked up the Hellsing OP on YT and now I remember why I didn’t recall it: it isn’t very memorable IMO.

You look at the expressions on Alucard and tell me he isn’t just that arrogant? He is an ass because he is a badass and he knows it! He knows that they haven’t seen his final form yet.

Alucard is just the Jim Carey of Hellsing, always over the top.

That’s probably my biggest complaint with Hellsing as a whole: Alucard is so ridiculously OP that there is no one who can even come close to challenging him and the only time that it appears that there is a challenge it is only an illusion created by Alucard as he wants to toy with his prey before annihilating it out of hand.

How many times dos the hero protagonist die half way through a story? None, they always win in their story. Thorin dies at the end of the Hobbit, not the dozen times he is cornered and captured throughout it.

Yet we still read stories knowing full well that the main character has little risk of dying.

This is nothing new. :huh:

The reason we watch thins like Hellsing and DB is for Alucard and Goku to grow in power and show us the new powers. Thus why video games start you with a boomerang and later you get the holy water and such as the enemies get stronger so the hero can be stronger as well.

In this case we have vampire arrogance when dealing with humans and their own kind as has been in their tales for such a long time, but we get to see that wall of arrogance shattered by an even bigger asshole than they are. Either through the manipulation, alteration or whatever the Hellsing has done to him, we also have that Alucard has changed in personality. He reminisces of old times, but acts towards his new life WITH humans. Sure he will kill anyone in his way, and maybe selfish for making Sears his pet and partner, but he asked her first and gave her a choice. “Do you want to live or die Police Girl?”

So yeah he is overpowered, but he is an altered vampire that us human viewers can relate to because he has gained some human morals.

Is Alucard really any different from Blade?

FUNIMATION ENTERTAINMENT ACQUIRES HELLSING ULTIMATE OVA 8

A bloody battle is about to begin, and all hell is singing…

Flower Mound, Texas (November, 4, 2011) – FUNimation® Entertainment today announced it has acquired the U.S. home video rights to the long awaited HELLSING ULTIMATE OVA 8, in addition to the previously announced HELLSING ULTIMATE 1-7 OVAs.

Production on the HELLSING ULTIMATE OVAs will begin immediately at the original studio, New Generation Pictures, and will include the original cast featuring Crispin Freeman in his return as Arucard.

The new home video releases will feature exclusive extras including panel discussions and one-on-one interviews recorded at the 2011 Anime Vegas Convention taking place this month.

Fans will be encouraged to submit questions for the cast via the FUNimation facebook page to possibly be included as part of the extra features. Funimation

Synopsis:
Vampires are real, and it’s up to Hellsing, a secret organization led by Integra Hellsing, to keep the public safe from these unholy creatures of the night. When the severity and frequency of vampire attacks begins to escalate, Hellsing may have more than it can handle, even with the help of its most powerful vampire—Arucard. The Hellsing Organization must face not only regular ghouls and vampires, but a rivaling secret organization from the Vatican, and an enigmatic group of madmen, called Millennium, intent on destroying Arucard.

FUNimation Entertainment will release these new OVAs starting in 2012.[/quote]

Japanese Hellsing Ultimate Limited Edition BD Release Includes English Dub

posted on 2018-09-08 15:00 EDT by Crystalyn Hodgkins

1 Like

Hellsing Ultimate The Complete Collection | Trailer (Own It 6/4)

1 Like

Since I can’t find a thread thought I’d post here . Got my Hellsing Ultimate set today . It’s 5 disc ,but disc two and four are extra disc . So disc 1,3, and 5 are the show . Did a quick look at the video . It’s about Funimation average . So not the best ,but watchable .

1 Like

Alucard vs Anderson | Hellsing Ultimate

The Most Badass Entrance in Anime History | Hellsing Ultimate

1 Like

Hellsing Ultimate OVA Joins Adult Swim’s Toonami Block
posted on 2014-08-23 14:00 EDT

1st episode will premiere on September 13 at 3:00 a.m. ET/PT

Boy this will be an experiment. They hog 2 slots for a 1-hour series which is extremely rare, so it’ll be interesting to see if they can keep their audience engaged for that long with one show.

I look forward to it.

A downright ancient show at that. Hellsing ultimate 1 is no spring chicken.

I wonder if it will even be watchable given all the censorship that it is sure to get.

So… YAY!

I FINALLY get to finish Hellsing Ultimate after all these years, way back when I saw the first 4 episodes on Starz back in 2008.

If watching the censored version counts as finishing it.

Censorship, commercials, slow airing schedule…why not just get the bd?

Perhaps Naruto should just be put out to pasture as its heyday was 7-8 years ago and Shippūden (which reminds me of the lackluster “all grown up” us shows) never had the popularity of its predecessor. A rule of anime watching is that it is time to stop when the show has a time skip.

It does indeed.
As I was never going to buy it in the first place.

I’m going to disagree that watching a gutted version, and piecemeal at that, counts as finishing it. Though I can’t say that I consider Hellsing to be worth finishing but if it is, then isn’t it worth buying and finishing it as intended?

The bowdlerized version of Shakespeare doesn’t count as Shakespeare, after all…not to say that Hellsing is Shakespearean :wink:

Finishing it has never been a big priority to me, hence why it’s sat on my Stalled list since 2008.
So it isn’t worth buying in my book, since once through will be enough for me, as it was never really something I was interested in in the first place.

However, since it’ll be on Toonami, and I happen to be watching Toonami anyways, it’ll be good to get it off my Stalled list, just for the sake of satisfying the completionist in me.