R.O.D. / Read or Die (TV and OVA)

Read or Die: OVA

Genres: action, drama, mystery, science fiction
Themes: secret agents, superpowers
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: Yomiko Readman is “The Paper” a secret underground operative for the British Library with the inredible power of complete control over paper, including the ability to make it solid as steel. She is called to duty when a book that could spell the end of the world is stolen, and she must take it back. Going with two other operatives, she attempts to take it back and save the world.
Number of episodes: 3
Vintage: 2001-05-23; 2004-10-24 (USA TV)

ANN Info Page

R.O.D -The TV-

Genres: action, drama, mystery, science fiction
Themes: conspiracies, secret agents, superpowers
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: Three girls named Anita, Michelle and Maggie are hired to protect Japanese author Nenene Sumiregawa during her stay in Hong Kong. In an incident where the “Paper Sisters” save Nenene from a disgruntled author, Nenene discovers that the sisters have the capability to control paper at their own will - an ability once used by her long-lost friend Yomiko “The Paper” Readman. Arriving in Japan after an airliner incident, the Paper Sisters move into Nenene’s apartment and become her freeloading bodyguards.
Number of episodes: 26
Vintage: 2003-09-01 to 2004-03-16

ANN Info Page

Aniplex USA to Ship All of Read or Die on BD

posted on 2010-07-30 03:28 EDT
All video, TV episodes in Winter box set with Japanese, English dubs

Chris Beveridge over at AOD/Mania got a packaging sample for the Blu-ray box.

Pictures here.
http://www.mania.com/read-or-die-bluray-packaging-detailed_article_127201.html

Looks awesome glad I went ahead and pre-ordered.

I’ve been meaning to get around to watching all of R.O.D… The blu-ray box looks really cool, I would put it on my bookshelf with my books, it would blend in nicely with the other books on my bookshelf that aren’t actually books. I would pre-order it, if only it wasn’t so much money :frowning:

That is to say, I have no problem spending $150 on something, but whenever I go spending that much money on one thing, I always think of tons of other things I could buy instead. Then I can’t decide whether buying something like that would be worth it.

I’ll say the price now a days is out of my normal spending ,but I really enjoyed the series and OVA’s. OVA wise it is bound to be a improvement over Manga ent’s release. TV wise though it’s hard to say when Geneon released the TV series they were at their high point with releasing quality. Plus I’ve spend more on stuff I’ve not even seen yet. My backlog is one huge b****. :laugh:

In the end though it was seeing how much this same set cost in Japan when it came out and then seeing how much they wanted for the Garden of Sinners import that made me finally decide.

Taking into consideration all of the stuff I have bought over the years that I hardly ever touch, (maybe one day I’ll show off my collection of stuff I spent all my money on)… After my finger slipped on the keys a couple dozen times, I somehow pre-ordered this.

My reasoning being that the packaging looks cool, and I base 90% of my purchases off of “that looks cool” so I figured I may as well… That, and I’ve spent more on much less.

Ended up canceling my pre-order after reading the review of the set over at AOD. Audio is less then what is on my DVD’s and with that plus it being a upscale it tipped me in to canceling it.

I thought about canceling it, but either way, I really want to see the series, and I honestly don’t mind audio quality so much. I mean, sure I suppose it’s a pretty big deal, but either way, I still like the box and I always love fancy things.

I honestly was going to keep my pre-order even after the audio ,but then kept going back and forth about keeping it in the end decided to just cancel for now until I could decide. This way I’m not stuck spending $159.98. I may go back and rewatch the series this weekend to make my final choice ,but since I figured it will probably be shipping tomorrow or Monday I’d better just cancel for now. It only goes up by $10.00 after release so not to big of deal if I change my mind after hearing others thoughts on the presentation.

Now if I did not already have it on DVD I’d be jumping on this even with the lesser audio.

That’s another reason that I also decided to keep my pre-order. I don’t already own the series on DVD.

Well watched the OVA and a little bit of the TV series over the weekend. Decided it was worth supporting the show again even with lesser then what is on my DVD’s audio and missing commentary.

UPS threw this at my door earlier today (I’m joking but I wouldn’t be surprised if the guy punted the box out the back of the truck). So I’ll probably get around to watching it some time soon, maybe even tonight… unless I forget.

I actually know next to nothing about R.O.D, so I’m interested in seeing what it’s all about. Of course I know next to nothing about every series I watch aside from small descriptions. I like it better that way… It is a nice box though.

I’ve watched the blu-ray set, and I have one other issue with it other then 2.0 sound vs the 5.1 on the on singles. That is the blu-ray is in 4:3 format, the old singles play in wide-screen format.

I also think the up-converted blu-ray picture plays smoother and clearer then the dvd’s do, so that’s one highpoint.

Now this is one of the few series I double dipped on because its one of my all-time favorite series, so I’m still happy to have it.

cim

Watch R.O.D. TV on CrunchyRoll

Crunchyroll Adds Gurren Lagann, Ghost Slayers Ayashi, R.O.D - The TV

posted on 2013-05-04 00:22 EDT

Kind of a shame since with them it won’t be as cheap as it would have if Sentai Filmworks had gotten it. I have the Geneon and Mangle DVD’s ,but still no Blu-ray player so doubt unless that changes I will be buying. I wonder if this will be available from Rightstuf from the start or if it will be handled through Bandai’s shop first. Wonder why no one picked the show up. It was one of the few remaining Geneon titles that with a fair price would do well ,but judging from Aniplex USA’s Gurren Movie pricing I have a feeling this may end up costing around the same as the original Geneon Entertainment release did.

I am glad to see R.O.D. stay in people’s view.

Maybe I will finally grab the tv too, this is bound to be afforable.

I’ve always wanted to see this series. I saw R.O.D. OAV and really enjoyed it. Price will make or break this BD Collection.
Slick

From what I am thinking it’s going to at least be over a $100.00. The fact it’s been released on DVD here before might make it a little cheaper ,but I have a feeling them being the American arm of a Japanese company we probably should at least expect $100.00 plus MSRP. I’m hoping they are doing better research then Bandai Visual USA did and not just taking the Convention goers words as being what the whole of Anime fandom is wanting. The Japanese Blu-ray being $300.00 is leaving me kind thinking it’s not going to be cheap here. I still find it awful funny no one wanted the title. Which leads me to think Aniplex had some stupid rules or wanted to much money.

From screenshots the Japanese Blu-ray for the TV series is not really that much better then the DVD’s Geneon USA put out ,but the OVA is as even a near blind man could tell far superior to what Mangle put out.

I’ve been debating on getting some of the singles for this from Right Stuf and hunting down the rest on eBay. However, I may just wait for this. Like Puppet though, I’m not anticipating an especially affordable release. But maybe Aniplex will surprise us.

BD huh :S

I heard about this yestorday and it made me happy. The OVA is a classic, a must see, anyone who likes anime has to see it, if not own it. I’m very happy they are re-releasing this, in one easy to get set (since the OVA and TV series were released by different companies).

And just for Dragoon ;), the TV series is good, but everyone knows the OVA is better =P .

And for the record I have no problem with Manga’s release of the OVA…or Geneon’s of the TV series…