Japanese Desserts

Pocky is perhaps one of the most iconic foods of Japan, and has gained such a large following from snack food lovers that it can be found in almost any grocery store in the United States.

That said, this thread aims to go beyond Pocky, as we discuss Japanese desserts that may not be as recognizable to people outside Japan, but are just as, if not more, delicious.

One of my favorite desserts is the red bean pastry. Though not strictly Japanese, the pastry I’m most familiar with has an outer shell made of dough–the inside is a red bean paste, which is made sweet by boiling azuki beans with sugar.

Wikipedia tells me that the more traditional variant in Japan is mizuyokan, which is made without the dough shell, and instead of a paste, the red bean is formed into a gelatin, which is then frozen and cut into square pieces.

For those willing to pay S&H http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/ has a large selection of Japanese snacks. I really like the breads and they do have red bean filled ones. The Kasugai gummy candy is some of the best gummy candy you can get.

The Asian markets here in the Orlando Metro area have a bewildering array of candies & sweets, many imported from Japan or made fresh locally.

The Red Bean paste is addictive, I swear.

We haven’t even scratched the surface yet.

Mark Gosdin

Apparently quite a few random items can be found with the red bean paste/azuki beans flavor.

And that’s just a few things I found.

1 Like

kuro rolls

looks good to me

its called yokan not yokai lol