Martian Successor Nadesico / Kidō Senkan Nadesico

Martian Successor Nadesico/Kidō Senkan Nadesico

Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, science fiction
Themes: harem, mecha, military, parody, real robot, space
Objectionable content: Mild
Plot Summary: Akito doesn’t want to fight. Despite a childhood spent on the anime Gekiganger 3, a Mecha show, he’d rather cook than pilot a Mecha. Fate intervenes when his home on Mars is destroyed, and he is transported instantly to the Earth, mysteriously. He has questions no one can answer fully, but follows a girl from a chance meeting in hopes to discover any. The girl, Yurika, is captain of the private battleship Nadesico, and in order to follow her, he enlists as their cook. Possessing the nanite implants that allow to control mechas, he’s a handy backup pilot for the mechas of the Nadesico. He joins a crew bent on revenging Mars and composed of misfits, otakus, and ditzes. But in reality they are handpicked experts. They take their own private war back to Mars to face the harsh reality that life may not always be like a Giant Mecha Series.
Number of episodes: 26
Vintage: 1996-10-01 to 1997-03-24

ANN Info Page

Gekigangar 3 (OAV) Vintage: 1998-02-21
Martian Successor Nadesico: The Motion Picture - Prince of Darkness / Kidō Senkan Nadeshiko: Prince of Darkness Vintage:1998

Reviews

In Summary:
This was a big production for ADV when this show was first released. With more than 120 different characters, Matt Greenfield had to work hard to cast the show just right. He hit a home run with the majority of the cast. Jennifer Earhart was brilliant as the ditzy tactical genius captain Yurika Misumaru. Spike Spencer as Akito got to work against his previous role as Shinji in Evangelion. And Brett Weaver gave the performance of a lifetime as the anime-crazed giant robot pilot Gai Daigoji. When this show was first being released, I was buying it on subtitled VHS. Then I bought the first DVD release. I tried it a few times in English and didn’t care for it. Now, all these years later, I’m discovering I really enjoy it in English. I still love the Japanese performances. After all, it has Houko Kuwashima, Omi Minami and Naoko Matsui. But I’ve discovered I like the English dub just as well.

As for the show itself, I’ve always loved it. It’s a beautiful homage to anime and giant robot shows, with clever writing and great characters. The show is able to handle being both a comedy and a serious parable about war. Some scenes have stayed with me for years, such as Yurika agonizing over a decision that will affect the survivors on Mars, or the brilliant transition in the first episode when everything is getting tense, and then the music switches to a smarmy Burt Bacharach-like version of the ending theme when Yurika realizes the stranger in the robot is her childhood sweetheart and goes into a rapture of romantic joy. The show does that repeatedly, poking holes in the show when it gets too serious, but bringing the reality of war back into the show when it starts getting too silly or too full of itself.

Grade: A
Anime On DVD Review Excerpt Essentials 1-3 (A Grades):

In Summary:
Sho Aikawa’s writing in Nadesico is something that has always impressed me. Clever homages, unique stories and well-considered concepts enhance this show, making repeat viewing worth your while. Keiji Gotoh’s character designs, based on Kia Asamiya’s conceptual art, has always appealed to me as well, although I realize it’s not to everyone’s taste. The show’s blend of comedy and heartbreak is what makes it special. No show has ever handles it better. As for the English dub, it remains a favorite of mine. After seven years, I still find new things to enjoy, just like the show itself. This truly deserves the title of “essential anime.”

Grade: A
Essentials 3 set:

Buy it.

NAO!!!

The 2008 Thin pack for this is still available and reasonably priced. I highly recommend it. Not only is it a thin pack with great art work, but it has all the extras intact. There are some great ADV VA Commentaries on it.

Spike Spencer did some last minute changes to his lines during the recording, which inspired my all time favorite anime phrase. I love how his character kept referring to Yurika as a “nutbar”. It was great.

That’s the way PP and I feel. :slight_smile:

It’s an excellent show that takes a lot of the best genres and blends it with very clever writing. Also a historic release for ADV as one of the largest dub productions in the 90s with an incredibly huge cast… and many iconic performances - Kira Vincent Davis as Ruri was her first break-out major performance that eventually lead her to where she is today in my view. Though, of course, it didn’t hurt to be tied to such a popular character either (Ruri). :wink:

This along with Gunsmith Cat are probably my 2 favorite 90s era ADV releases.

1 Like

It’s already on sale for $35.99 at Rightstuf
Martian Successor Nadesico DVD LE

Forgot to note
While supplies last, customers ordering this limited edition will also receive a free gift with purchase! (Details to be announced.)

I’m sort of tempted by this, even though I already have the ADV Thin Pack. It would be nice to have the Gekigangar OVAs. I wish the rest of the R1 companies would do like Sentai and make them available separately.

I’m also fairly disappointed with the art work for it. A bland cover image, combined with just the logo on the back and only the name on the spine. I really wish Nozomi would start putting some art on the spines of their boxes. It’s probably my only big complaint about their releases. The spine is going to be what I see most of the time, it would be nice to have an image on there.

I wish that rightStuf would be more up-front with what their “on disc extras” really are, more to the point, do they retain the ~3 ADV commentary tracks?

“Interviews with actors and staff” doesn’t tell me too much. I do believe that they ripped out the English extras on their Gasaraki re-release, so I’m concerned.

Honestly, unless it is the Japanese staff providing a sincere apology and acceptable (by me) explanation as to why the movie was horrid and defecated all over the awesomeness that was the TV series, I probably won’t be interested in any J-extras on this release.

Anime Expo 2016 - July 1, 2016
RightStuf Panel

• Martian Successor Nadesico Blu-ray (includes Gekiganger and the movie)

Right Stuf Announces Martian Successor Nadesico Blu-ray

posted on 2016-07-01 19:26 EDT

20th Anniversary Of “Martian Successor Nadesico” Anime Celebrated With Comiket Artbook

August 11, 2016 6:20pm CDT
Animator/character designer Keiji Gotoh’s Gocky Club has previewed the books that they will be bringing to this weekend’s Comiket

“Martian Successor Nadesico” Celebrates 20th Anniversary with Screenings & More

September 01, 2016 3:47pm CDT
2007 original TV anime features animation by Xebec and direction by Tatsuo Satō

Staff and Cast Reminisce on “Martian Successor Nadesico” 20 Years Later

2016-10-31

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

MARTIAN SUCCESSOR NADESICO coming March 2017 from NOZOMI ENTERTAINMENT

GRIMES, IA, January 11, 2017 — Anime producer Nozomi Entertainment is pleased to announce the release of Martian Successor Nadesico Complete Collection. Martian Successor Nadesico Complete Collection will be available on Blu-ray and DVD April 4, 2017.

<b><i>Martian Successor Nadesico Complete Collection Blu-ray</i></b>

• Directed by Tatsuo Sato (Bodacious Space Pirates, Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars, Stellvia)
  • Character Design by Keiji Gotoh (Sengoku Collection, Uta~Kata)
  • Animation by XEBEC (The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye, Fafner, Lagrange – The Flower of Rin-ne)
  • Available on Blu-ray in the US for the first time ever

Tatsuo Sato’s Comedy Masterpiece Returns in High Definition!

The Earth, its moon and its Martian colonies are under alien attack, but the war against the “Jovian lizards” has, so far, been nothing short of a series of disasters.

Disgusted by the incompetence of Earth’s military, the independent arms manufacturer Nergal builds its own space battleship and plans to launch a desperate offensive to save humanity. But due to a shortage of trained soldiers, they’ve assembled the most unorthodox crew to ever launch into orbit! With a pacifist cook-turned-unwilling mecha pilot and a ditsy admiral’s daughter in command, can this unprecedented gathering of geeks, misfits and anime fans prevail against the Jovian menace?

Watch the Trailer

Contains all 26 episodes of the TV series and the Prince of Darkness movie across 4 Blu-rays PLUS an entire DVD of extras including the Gekigangar 3 OVA!

Special Features: Clean Opening, Clean Ending, TV Spots, Trailers, Interviews with Actors and Staff, “Welcome to Belle Equipe” featurette, “Nadesico Sorekara” special, and a music video.
Comp. Titles: Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Space Dandy, Bodacious Space Pirates, Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ

Product specifications and content subject to change.

Format: Blu-ray
Pre-Book: 3/7/2017
Street Date: 4/4/2017
SRP: $64.99
Catalog #: NZBLU1704
ISBN: 978-1-57032-552-6
UPC: 7-42617-1704-2-3
Runtime: 740 minutes
Genre: Science Fiction, Comedy
Age Rating: TVPG
Audio:
TV: English and Japanese LPCM Stereo, Japanese LPCM Surround
MOVIE: English and Japanese LPCM Surround
Subtitles: English
Video:
TV: 1080p, 4:3
Movie: 1080p, 16:9
Disc Count: 5
Case Qty: 15

<b><i>Martian Successor Nadesico Complete Collection DVD</i></b>

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/436c9f219aedbd730be7e74e2/_compresseds/b4b3d18d-de2f-4c61-9879-772bb857bb48.jpg

• Directed by *Tatsuo Sato (Bodacious Space Pirates, Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars, Stellvia)
  • Character Design by Keiji Gotoh (Sengoku Collection, Uta~Kata)
  • Animation by XEBEC (The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye, Fafner, Lagrange – The Flower of Rin-ne)

About Martian Successor Nadesico:

The Earth, its moon and its Martian colonies are under alien attack, but the war against the “Jovian lizards” has, so far, been nothing short of a series of disasters.

Disgusted by the incompetence of Earth’s military, the independent arms manufacturer Nergal builds its own space battleship and plans to launch a desperate offensive to save humanity. But due to a shortage of trained soldiers, they’ve assembled the most unorthodox crew to ever launch into orbit! With a pacifist cook-turned-unwilling mecha pilot and a ditsy admiral’s daughter in command, can this unprecedented gathering of geeks, misfits and anime fans prevail against the Jovian menace?

Watch the Trailer

Contains all 26 episodes of the TV series, the Prince of Darkness movie, and an entire DVD of extras including the Gekigangar 3 OVA!

Special Features: Clean Opening, Clean Ending, TV Spots, Trailers, Interviews with Actors and Staff, “Welcome to Belle Equipe” featurette, “Nadesico Sorekara” special, and a music video.
Comp. Titles: Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Space Dandy, Bodacious Space Pirates, Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ

Product specifications and content subject to change.

Format: DVD
Pre-Book: 3/7/2017
Street Date: 4/4/2017
SRP: $49.99
Catalog #: NZDVD1706
ISBN: 978-1-57032-567-0
UPC: 7-42617-1706-2-1
Runtime: 740 minutes
Genre: Science Fiction, Comedy
Age Rating: TVPG
Audio:
TV: English and Japanese Dolby 2.0, Japanese Dolby 5.1
MOVIE: English and Japanese Dolby 5.1
Subtitles: English
Video:
TV: 4:3
Movie: 16:9
Disc Count: 7
Case Qty: 15

About Nozomi Entertainment

Nozomi Entertainment is recognized by discerning anime fans as a company focused on creating high-quality anime releases in North America. From anime classics to modern favorites, Nozomi Entertainment is dedicated to releasing fan-favorite anime for all ages and interests.

A small sampling of the Nozomi lineup includes: Astro Boy, Junjo Romantica, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, and Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Visit www.nozomient.com for additional information.
Nozomi Entertainment
512 NE Main Street
Grimes, IA 50111

Martian Successor Nadesico Complete Collection Blu-ray Trailer

Martian Successor Nadesico HD - Insubordination

ANN Review: Martian Successor Nadesico (Blu-Ray - Complete Collection)

Apr 5th 2017 by Zac Bertschy

Crunchyroll Adds “Martian Successor Nadesico”

November 30, 2017 4:15pm CST
Nozomi Entertainment series goes live today

“Gekiganger 3”: One-Shots to Get Hooked On!

December 21, 2017 8:05pm EST
Sample these single serving shows between seasons… and you might just get hooked on their parent series!

Deciphering Nadesico: Prince of Darkness 20 Years Later

by Matthew Roe, Dec 19th 2018