MD Geist / Sokihei M.D. Geist

MD Geist / Sokihei M.D. Geist

Genres: action, science fiction
Themes: mecha, military
Objectionable content: Intense
Running time: 47 minutes
Vintage: 1986-05-21

Plot Summary: In the distant future, mankind has colonized other planets in the universe. While many planets lived in peace, the planet Jerra has been ravaged by decades of war. Geist is an M.D.S. (Most Dangerous Soldier), an enhanced human with unsurpassed combat capabilities and an insatiable lust for battle. Because of his uncontrollable nature, Geist is cryogenically frozen and locked in a satellite. Several years later, the satellite crashes and Geist wakes up from his sleep to engage in another war. This time, to help the army stop the planet’s central computer from activating a doomsday device that will lead to total annihilation of all life on Jerra.

ANN Info Page

Well it’s MD Geist (as seen on SciFi Channel)… one of the most infamous titles in all of anime. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

If you think you’ll like this, save yourself the pain and check out ADV’s New Fist Of The North Star, instead. I see there is a recent release that puts that all on one DVD (it’s three roughly hour-long OVAs). Then if you really have to see this, come back and watch it.

Being this is a rescued CPM title, does that mean it won’t turn up on Sci-Fi again?

What a nice thing to say!

I’ll say that it was one of the most interesting things I’ve ever seen. :blink:

No one is sure yet how this affects the broadcast licenses.

Not that I’d complain if they can’t show it anymore…

Sorry, this was disgusting poo poo. I hated every second of it. I’m sure the Scifi edits had something to do with it, but still…

Well this is JOD’s favorite anime, nice to see it back in print again. Although I’m not sure I’d be willing to buy it. I was planning on buying CPM’s Mecha box that contains this (and the sequel) and a few other titles instead. One only needs one copy of this anime, that’s for sure. It’s a well known anime though, truer words have not been spoken…

Another bad anime from CPM to keep your eyes on is “Garzey’s Wind”, the dub was incredbly (and unintentially) funny, and I can’t wait to buy that one on DVD.

I haven’t seen much of this one though. I saw a few scenes when it was on the Sci-Fi channel, but I taped it on my media center so I could watch it when I had more time (and was in the mood for it, you gata be in the mood for stuff like this). However for some reason it screwed up and deleted it, so I never got to watch it. Guess that’s for the better…haha.

The surprising thing is there’s so many people that will buy this now, now that ADV will be rescuing it. I’m seeing tons of posts on the industry sites about people wanting to pick this up.

This series may well turn into gold for ADV and become a series where there’s no such thing as bad press. Infamous title certainly, but it’s still a famous piece of anime history that a lot of collectors will pick up.

Also this in my mind, I think it was more of a bundle deal. Perhaps ADV picked it up out of respect for John O’Donnel or JOD maybe said if you want our best 2 (Now and Then Here and There, Grave of the Fireflies)… gotta pick up my baby too. :slight_smile: I mean JOD is such a fan of MD Geist that I think he would be happy to see this series continue to be available and accessible in the marketplace above anything. Especially since it’s been on SciFi there are people who will want to buy it and unfortunately it wasn’t that accessible in the marketplace due to CPM’s hibernation status. Now it will be and I think JOD is happy his work will live on on the hearts of the people who see it or buy it, rather than be lost forever.

MD Geist was the reason I start that what are you thinking in the other thread.

They may sell it to people the missed on the Sci-fi channel or forgot about it.
Maybe interested in see what the un-cut version is.

Compared to its contempories, it is not a bad movie.

I would still rate Black Magic 66 or Guyver over MD Geist.
Several other not in genrie that I would rate over it.

Original “Fist of the North Star”, where he finally learns how to run at the end of the movie, if he had to walk up all those stairs the movie would have never ended.

Yeah I agree with what your saying. This could be a decent seller. Don’t forget that it was the first anime to sell really well, so it may continue to do so. The Sci-Fi airing helped build popularity for it too. People do want to buy this, and that’s always a good thing. And the fact it’s well known can only be a good thing. Hope it sells well for ADV. It’s not a bad title to pick up, because it will sell pretty decently at least. And I too have a feeling JOD was somehow involved in this deal, just because this show was one of the first ones to be rescued haha. He probably pushed it on ADV to pick up haha. And I’m sure he’ll be more then happy that his show will be back in print, and others will be able to enjoy (or at least watch) it. People can now buy this “classic” :wink: .

You know I think this and Now and Then were what ADV actually wanted, I keep reading that ADV got this as part of a package but I see this selling very well for them, maybe better than the other three combined(hard to judge the audience for Grave and Now and Then)

Oh yes there is no doubt in my mind this will sell really well. It was on TV, it’s well known, and it’s a one shot OVA. It’s pretty cheap too…

They should put this quote on the cover

“MD Geist is hackneyed, cartoony, and ridiculous. It’s not 100% crap, but it’s pretty close…Anyway, MD Geist sucks.”

That will help it sell :wink: .

As for “Now and Then, Here and There” it only had 30,000 viewers at one point when it aired on TV. Which is pitiful, since Gurren Lagann had like 200,000 viewers the first time it aired all the way through, and actually got more viewers as it went on. NTHT started with like 50k and kept losing people. Probally too much of a buzz killer after GL, because this is good show. It should have had more viewers then it did. Still the people who watched all of NTHT are more hardcore, so they might be more interested in buying the show then the GL fans anyway. We’ll see…

30,000 viewers? Shoot, stuff AS runs at 3:00 AM does better than that - and they complain about it. Remind yourself to hug the people at sci-fi, today.

Wow, do you think you could find a source link for this? I probably could find it but I’m short on time today.

I’m surprised SciFi’s ratings were that low, especially on a controversial, highly rated and powerful show like Now and Then Here and There.

On your final point, I definitely agree with you the NTHT fans are hardcore and they’ll definitely be supporting this release, even double dipping. Especially with the title being hard to find, it’s become one of those collectors items even people not interested in the show will pick up.

For the record I did not de-rail this thread.

They did shift the time slot to an hour later.
Wouldn’t it be interesting if 30,000 corrisponde to that.

Adult Swim has use similar tactic to stop showing Anime.

You’re suggesting SciFi and AS do it on purpose?

Yes, because companies and networks with deadlines and money to make and have to answer to the suits, and have jobs to lose in a frail economy… self-sabotage themselves to lose money on purpose and piss off their corporate partners and viewers on purpose. That makes sense… just so they can drive off anime fans because what …? Someone is secretly paying them off to destroy anime?

I am perplexed, even on industry sites, some people really constantly look at the surface rather than the root of the problem. This is not rocket science. Cause and effect is what’s taking place, not effect → cause – it doesn’t work the other way around

Truly, the sooner anime fans realize businesses react to viewer trends and ratings rather than some conspiracy the better off we’ll be. Certainly there are also a lot of business dealings and power-playing going on between content providers of their properties and the networks and sometimes that can result in negotiation breakdowns with how their own content is delivered, but that’s mostly business rather than anything. Conspiracy theories are only rational to a degree if there is some basis or net gain for someone. Your suggestion has no net gain for anyone involved.

Wait… is this the MD Geist thread?

Signed,
The Off-Topic Queen

It’s the Blood Cross Phenomena. B)

Dragoon: Wow I looked and looked and can’t find the frigen place I saw it at. I did look that up awhile ago, so I may be remembering it wrong, or maybe they took it down? I’d like to find it myself actually, to double check. I was only reading what someone said about the show on some forum, and they gave a link to support it. Of course I can’t find this now :frowning: . If you could find where they have the raitings that be great. Otherise oh well not important.

Ah ok, that’s cool. I was mostly curious since I figured SciFi and NTHT would get more ratings than that.

Anyway let’s all get back to MD Geist and uh… its historic reason to continue to exist! :slight_smile: