Mobile Police Patlabor Live-Action

###Mobile Police Patlabor Gets Live-Action Project in 2014
posted on 2013-03-20 21:06 EDT
Tohokushinsha Film Corporation reveals project at TAF

Humorous coincidences abound!

###Live-Action Patlabor Robotic Mecha Photos Circulate Online
posted on 2013-08-03 02:25 EDT
Film by Mamoru Oshii, Omnibus Japan, Tohokushinsha Film to open in theaters in 2014

sad thing is, they probably spent half the movie’s budget just on that one labor alone. the rest of course will go to making the movie but with a budget already spent, there’ll probably be short cuts, and off screen battles and what not. And when we do finally get to see a one-on-one battle, it’ll probably be something straight out of a PS2 cut scene.

It’s Devilman all over again…and I liked Devilman… :laugh:

I hope that they stay away from CG. CG only looks good either by itself (ie:no live action) or to enhance live-action effects (eg:Inception).

I want to see them do more with their shoe-string budget than Del Toro did with his ~1/5th of a billion dollar budget. Whatever they do I hope that they at least keep the camera steady and refrain from spastic camera motion.

TBH I’d rather see more Patlabor anime, done with the TV show characters (personalities, whatever lol), that has an overarching plot from the get-go this time. I’d also prefer another anime movie for Patlabor.

With how awesome that Labor looks, it makes me wonder about the budget too, since JP movies aren’t really known for having huge budgets.

Maybe since there’s no demand for actual props in the era of CG they got the labor (ha) for cheap?

###New Live-Action Patlabor Visual Released
posted on 2013-08-15 01:00 EDT
Film by Mamoru Oshii, Omnibus Japan, Tohokushinsha Film coming in 2014

[size=16]Former Idol Erina Mano Stars in Multi-Part Live-Action Patlabor[/size]
posted on 2013-09-25 01:15 EDT
7-part series starts next April, followed by Mamoru Oshii’s 2015 feature film

The posted pics!

[picture links were all broken]

Clearly they spent their costume budget on the giant labor.

That might not be a bad thing…

[size=16]10 Minutes of Live-Action Patlabor’s Press Conference Posted[/size]
posted on 2013-09-25 16:15 EDT
Main cast, chief director Mamoru Oshii stand alongside 8-meter Ingram robot in video

[size=16]Live-Action Patlabor’s Premiere Dates, Visuals Unveiled[/size]
posted on 2013-12-17 02:15 EST
1st of 7-part series slated for April 5, followed by 100-minute feature film in spring 2015

[size=16]Live-Action Patlabor’s Teaser Shows in Ingram in Action More of Cast[/size]
posted on 2013-12-20 00:30 EST
Yoshinori Horimoto, Shigekazu Tajiri, Kohei Shiotsuka, Yoshikazu Fujiki join cast

###Live-Action Patlabor Project’s 4 Directors Listed
posted on 2014-01-01 23:56 EST

[size=16]Live-Action Patlabor to Feature Real-Life Mecha[/size]
posted on 2014-01-06 13:30 EST
Suidobashi Heavy Industry’s US$1 million Kuratas appears as construction Labor robot

###$1.3 Million Giant Robot Listing on Amazon No Longer Available
posted on 2014-01-09 15:05 EST

Yay!

Boo.

Japanese CG sucks. American CG is pretty bad too (just look at the previews for the recent I, Frankenstein…) but the Japanese have shown no signs of having even that much CG competence. CG is fine for “touching up” real effects but if it is responsible for 100% of the effect, and if there is live action in the shot with the effect, then it will fail miserably.

[quote=“celestial_being”]

Yay!

Boo.[/quote]

Well of course they’re still using CG, how else would you expect them to make the Labors to actually fight, whether that be hand-to-hand or firearm-to-firearm. The real “mecha” are for the slow, lumbering work bots, and even them I wouldn’t be surprised if CG is used on them, for touch ups and/or cloning.

If they can use the CG to enhance real effects, like Inception, then that’s pretty cool. I don’t think that making robots fighting without having to resort to full-cg battles is an impossible goal in 2014. I believe that it is a given that this movie won’t have access to Transformers-level CG for its robot battles so I hope that they won’t go down the all-cg route.

I just watched Lethal Weapon 4 (1998) and I was amazed to see an entire car-chase action sequence that was devoid of CG and rapid camera cuts + shakey cam. This astonished me.