Nyan Koi! / Nyankoi!

I’m one of those people who can’t tell the difference between DVD and Bluray, so I just get DVD. Though, it might be some upscaling at work on my main player.

1 Like

I think that it is easier to not notice a difference with anime as bluray really just makes it crisper as too few series seem to put in details that require the 1080 or 720 (the advantage of the “blob” in moeblob lol). I’ve seen some ps3 upscales of shows that were DVD only, namely Bantorra, and they didn’t look all that shabby @ 1080. However, o did recently try to watch some old funi and viz DVDs, some of which were real widescreen and some. which had forced letterboxing @ 4:3, and no upscaling could save them; there was, tragically, no bluray to compare them to but even a blind man could see how bad they looked. They have restored my fear of low res, and reminded me that we need more remasters of old shows.

Also, it appears that I do not have this on preorder at rightstuf. I meant to but clearly it slipped my mind. Sad.

1 Like

Several of my older ADV and Geneon discs look pretty damn good upscaled. Some even look pretty comparable to bluray. Though I agree that most upscaling players can’t save the older Funimation and Viz discs. They often make them worse by enhancing the flaws in the video.

1 Like

I got to watching some old Pioneer dvds the other day and the upscaling just makes it worse. It was a travesty. Digital animation doesn’t seem to provide an “infinite res” source from which to make HD remasters, as cel-animation did, at least not when the Japanese are doing it.

BTW, how does this show “rank” regarding fanservice? The show that I’m obligated to compare it with was fairly loaded with fanservice (naked gun fights, clothes-disintegrating bullets, strip poker, condoning polygamy…).

1 Like

Nyan Koi doesn’t have gratuitous fanservice like Cat Planet Cuties or HighSchool DD. Whatever fanservice it does have is actually pretty innocent, ‘old school’ in a way.

So why exactly to you compare them together? Just because of the cats? Even though one’s a sci-fi show with T&A and the other is a “supernatural” with “old school” T&A sensibilities?

1 Like

Because they’re both cat shows I’m going to compare them, even if it is only subconsciously. I know that I’ll be comparing the art and animation, which I thought was surprisingly decent in CPC.

Innocent fanservice? I’m not sure that I know what that is any more lol. Maybe I’ve been watching too much of Funimation’s recent catalog (speaking of, for a show marketed almost exclusively on its raunchy fanservice, We Without Wings’ falls pretty flat IMO).

1 Like

Decided to watch this as “due diligence” before voting in the “BTVA anime awards” contest (research, who does that?), as this Connor Leach guy is up for “breakthrough male actor of 2013”. Surprisingly there are only 2 Sentai actors in the running.

…anyhow, I was laughing by the 01:05 mark of ep 1, though that was more due to Marcy Bannor than anything else. Been a while since I’ve seen a Foster dub, now that I think about it.

1 Like

This is the closest we’ve gotten to an unabridged Foster dub in a while. This show is tres ridiculous. Glad it got the dub to match :slight_smile:

…wish it didn’t use the honorifics though. Awkwardness to the max.

1 Like

Nyankoi! Official Trailer

1 Like

NyanKoi!, Eps 1-12 (Sub/Dub), are live at HIDIVE

1 Like