Oniai / Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankei Nai yo ne

[size=16]OniAi/Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankei Nai yo ne[/size]

[quote]Genres: comedy, romance, slice of life
Themes: ecchi, forbidden love, harem, imouto, moe, school, student council, tsundere, unrequited love
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: The story centers around Akito Himenokōji, a boy who was separated from his twin sister Akiko, but they end up living under the same roof together during high school.
Number of episodes: 12
Vintage: 2012-10-05[/quote]
ANN Info Page

RightStuf Link
OniAi DVD/Blu-ray Complete Series (S) Limited Edition

[size=16]Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankei Nai yo ne— Anime Listed[/size]
posted on 2012-05-18 10:12 EDT
Ninomiya-kun creator Suzuki’s story of separated twins who now live under 1 roof

[size=16]Funimation Streams Oniai[/size]
posted on 2012-10-09 12:11 EDT
Series to premiere on Funimation’s website this week

I know what most people are thinking clicking on this thread, but I think its great Funimation is trying sub-only for animes they may not license Home Video Rights for otherwise. They waited to long now I have to buy a sub-only, and DVD-only of Blessing of the Campanella

I am still hoping Sentai Filmworks releases Blu-rays for past sub-only releases.

This sucks. I don’t particularly like buying undubbed anime and I don’t see any benefit to buying it from Funimation. Now I’ll have to worry about Funimation “wasting a dub” on crap while the gems go undubbed, much as I do with Sentai; I don’t know anything about this show, but it almost certainly has to be better than the train-wreck that was Jormungand. Things like this just drive me further away from physical purchases.

This lowers the odds of Funimation dubbing their rescue releases which Bandai did not dub. That’s the worst part of it.

Oniai is about a girl that is in love with her brother.

On ANN it just says

I’m willing to say that the show is better than Jormungand, despite its lame plot summary. :slight_smile:

Though out of all the plot summaries for all the ecchi comedies that Funimation has, this one seems to be the lamest so at least it going sub only doesn’t add insult to injury.

Maybe Funimation will still dub things like the Otome sequels and Tales of the Abyss but my confidence in that has been shaken.

Oh Funi. Why are you trying so hard to be like ADV/Sentai? Guess you learned your lesson after W3: not everything needs a dub.

Welcome to the 21st century. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“tonka”]Oh Funi. Why are you trying so hard to be like ADV/Sentai? Guess you learned your lesson after W3: not everything needs a dub.

Welcome to the 21st century. :P[/quote]

I don’t think that we can say that yet as they might be taking a page from AoA/Bandai’s playbook. They are doing that AoA-styled import of “Ghost in the Shell: Moe Edition” (and I don’t really want to associate this maneuver with Sentai)…

I’d go a step further from “not everything needs a dub” to “not everything needs a physical release, especially when it doesn’t have a dub”. Why on Earth would I want to buy something that is scarcely better than what I saw on Crunchyroll (especially when it doesn’t include new material)? The blu-ray might make it look a tad better (not that it matters with the low-detail moeblob shows) but not 30+ bucks better.

I prefer to buy physical releases, because once I own them, I always have them. I don’t have to worry about TAN, Netflix, or Hulu taking them down and neve being able to watch them again. That’s really the big advantage.

With physical discs, I have the ability to watch them if my power or Internet goes out. I’m still bound by the time limits on my laptops battery, but at least it gives me something to do until power is restored.

There are a ton of older shows that I love, but I’m not able to watch anymore because no one is airing or streaming them. I like physical releases because I can pretty much watch them whenever I want. There are a ton of things I would love to buy on DVD or Bluray, both anime and otherwise, but I can’t because they haven’t been made available yet, and some never will be.

And let’s not forget about the service outages that have struck TAN, Netflix, Amazon, Funimation, CR, YouTube, etc.

I understand the advantages to being service-independent by having physical media, though there are a great many shows that I don’t believe are worth collecting, especially if they lack a dub.

I think the root of the problem that I’m having with this sub-only movement is that there are just so few shows that I find to be worth watching in subs (and those that are I would still prefer to be dubbed). Many modern J-dubs I do not care for as the characters sound, intentionally, like stereotypes. They don’t sound like characters to me in the sub, and that’s one thing that dubs can fix to make a show more appealing (eg:Steins;gate). The last few shows that I’ve watched would have been junk without a dub, which links to another issue that I’m having with modern anime: much of it is only watchable with and because of the dub; the shows that stand on their own merit are few and far between.

Bad show without a dub = unwatchable; good show without a dub = cheated. That’s how it breaks down for me.

[quote=“celestial_being”]
Bad show without a dub = unwatchable; good show without a dub = cheated. That’s how it breaks down for me.[/quote]

I know that feeling, a lot of time if there is no dub I don’t even care to see what the anime is about, but for animes I do want to buy like “Koihime+Muso”, “To Love Ru”, and a few others I only feel cheated out of a Blu-ray.

When Sentai Filmworks first started, does anyone still remember what license announcements were like on ANN’s forum?

I certainly do. I even saw a few people get banned for threatening the peeps at Sentai for not dubbing shows. It was pretty nasty. It was fairly similar to when Aniplex announces a show now.

So after years of saying they would do a sub only anime release they finally are. I think Dragoon was still around when they first said something. They have of course been doing sub only live action for a while. Not a big shocker as it’s the logical next step . I kind of question the limited edition route and making it cheaper then Sentai’s or NISA’s sub only releases. Only cause its Funimation of course.

OniAi - The Complete Series - Blu-ray - S.A.V.E. - Coming Soon!

OniAi - The Complete Series - Blu-ray S.A.V.E. - AVAILABLE NOW!

Crunchyroll Adds “OniAi” and More to Anime Catalog

July 26, 2017 5:00pm CDT