Overman King Gainer

Overman King Gainer

Genres: action, adventure, science fiction
Themes: hybrid robot, mecha
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: Sometime in the distant future, mankind is forced to live in domed cities while the rest of the world is left to recover from years of environmental hardships. In the Siberian Dome-polis, professional gamer Gainer Sanga and mercenary Gain Bijou commandeer an Overman and lead a mass exodus out of the city.
Number of episodes: 26
Vintage: 2002-09-07 to 2003-03-22

ANN Info Page

This is listed on the ANN report, so I’m going to go ahead and make a thread for it. If it turns out that Sentai doesn’t have it, it can always be moved to the other section.

I don’t know what this is. I don’t even remember ever hearing about it. The synopsis there reminds me a bit of the claustrophobic dome-dwellers of Asimov’s novels but is that some anti-Capitalism I see in there?

Is “Saint Reagan” supposed to be a stand-in for a certain someone? Either way, that’s just hilarious. Too bad it already has a dub since I’d bet money that Foster and the other fine folks at Sentai would have a field day with this.

So, is this better than Funi’s Shangri-la?

Have the Bandai Ent anime legends release of this. I think I will get the Sentai release though as Bandai set seems to only like certain players.

What? Overman King Gainer is about a group of people leaving a dome to find the mystical land of “Yapan”(It’s Japan) This show is from 2002 it is not referencing whatever you think it is.

It is a nice fun mecha series, the lead is a gamer who can pilot mechas because of it, he hates the hired help who is better than him at anything, great female lead.

OH AND THE OPENING, THE GREATEST OPENING OF ALL TIME

Time to finally have the same avatar here that I have everywhere.

Where’d the YouTube link go?

Being from 2002 makes it possible that there is some sort of weird political statement being made.

Gamer who can pilot mechs due to gaming skill? I’m suddenly reminded of The Last Starfighter or the anime Dual!

Ha! I’m going to buy this just for the opening. Dancing mechs are awesome!

Some of us didn’t get to see the linked “greatest opening of all time” video :ohmy: B)

I’ve been trying to watch Gundam Reconguista in G and doing so has been, well, a struggle: in my experience, Gundam shows go off the reservation earlier and earlier with each iteration but this one was in “cray-cray” territory before the end of the first episode.

Point being, this show was directed by the same guy who is 100% responsible for all that is Reconguista so how much brutality should I brace for as I prepare to check this out?

Also, How much of a quality upgrade is the bluray for this title?

I’d say it is a not quite as maddening as Recongusta has been. It similarly starts off with a ton of characters, and drops you in what seems to be a story that is already going. At first it is hard to put what the heck is going on together. It then does seem to gain traction and the story, in my opinion, gets better.
The animation is highly organic and the quality is quite good. When everything was going CG, it was one of the last of the hand drawn mecha. (well, mostly. I am sure there is Cel assist and a few CG moments)
I am not sure the Bluray will render it much better, but the action capture and sound might make it worth it.
I own the DVD’s so take my thoughts on it with a grain of salt.

1 Like
1 Like

Another one it seems like Sunrise screwed Sentai on. Still glad to see it released again,

Overman King Gainer - Opening