Godannar / Shinkon Gattai Godannar!

Godannar / Shinkon Gattai Godannar!!

Genres: action, comedy, romance, science fiction
Themes: ecchi, harem, mecha, super robot
Objectionable content: Intense
Number of episodes: 26
Vintage: 2003-10-01 to 2004-06-29

Plot Summary: Five years ago, while battling an alien force known as the “Mimesis,” Dannar pilot Goh Saruwatari first met Anna Aoi. Today, on the day of their wedding, the ceremony is interrupted when the Mimesis strike again. As Goh struggles in his battle against the alien threat, Anna stumbles upon a top secret robot known as the “Neo-Okusaer” and uses it as a last-resort to save her fiancée. At that moment, Dannar and Neo-Okusaer merge to become the mighty robot “Godannar.”

ANN Info Page
Godannar DVD 1 - ANN Review

Sentai Filmworks Press Release

Can’t believe no one has posted in this thread before -_- This show is so much fun! I’m rewatching it at ep 7 and it always brings a smile to my face. I think it gets a bad rep for the fanservice and a lot of people just write it off as bad because of that. Obviously, they are taking the show waaaaaay too seriously.

Plus the OPs are awesome :slight_smile:

Ah, Goddanar. One of my top faves. It has it all. Action, comedy, fanservice, drama (sniffle, sniffle), just plain stupidity and all nicely combined into a fun little package of a show. The icing on the cake were the cool insert/mini posters that came with the singles, back when singles and extras - real extras - were the norm.

Linebarrel of Iron wishes it was as fun as this.

The old thread was popular back in the day (before we had to restart the forums this year), but ever since Anime Network stopped showing it frequently coupled with other older otaku-type shows they tend to lose popularity as new ones come to the surface. It’s unfortunate that a lot of the newer members don’t feel the same way as we did back in the day, as it’s an excellent show.

I haven’t seen it get a bad rep, other than with people who keep thinking mecha has to be Evangelion or RahXephon. It’s consistently gotten praise in the DVD buying circles and was one of Anime Network’s most popular shows.

And yeah it’s an awesome show on every single level. The OP/ED’s were particularly excellent as they were an homage to the Super Robo shows of the 70s in terms of the stylistic influences with some iconic industry singers.

it was more of a vent on a couple people I’ve talked to who didn’t like it because of the fanservice as well as what you mentioned - you won’t find what they said on the internet (as far as I know) :stuck_out_tongue:

Tell them PP and I think they have crappy taste. (Joking, don’t tell them we said that. :P)

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5993/2500b.jpg

I have yet to see this, though I’ve never been a big super robot/mech fan save for a few titles.
Is it anything like Gravion/Gravion Zwei?

Yeah it’s like Gravion/Zwei in terms of mecha + fan service and just fun to watch, but the production values in this are significantly higher, and the story and characters are much, much better. Gravion is nice, but is small potatoes compared to this.

The dub is “A TON OF FUN” with one of the supremely rare north american productions where the dub was recorded with groups of people at a time vs one person in a booth at time. Matt Greenfield’s production, expense and time paid off as the chemistry, lively nature is one of the very best in that regard imo.

This is easily in my top 20 ADV titles - certainly deserving of the A grades it’s gotten. RahXephon for example on a technical level is far better (a near masterpiece), but when I want something just FUN to watch time and time again with great replay value… very few mecha series come to mind like Godannar.

argh!!! you guys gotta stop suggesting new anime!!
i was looking at this one at best buy the other day!! now i have to go back and get it… shucks looks like im in for another few hours on the couch… ha.
thanks!:S

yoka

Godannar was very entertaining! One of my favorites too. It has a bit of everything in a great story with great characters - action, romance, comedy, and of course - girls that will cause nosebleeds. :stuck_out_tongue:

I picked it up at Best Buy for $30. How can you pass that up?! It’s a steal!

And if you haven’t seen Gravion & Gravion Zwei Yoka…

Those are two series I need to add to my collection as well! :slight_smile:

COMING TO ANIME NETWORK ONLINE IN MAY!

FULL DUBBED SERIES WILL BE UP ON May 15th @ 1:00 PM EST / May 14th 10:00 PM PST

Another comeback! Had a feeling this one would.

I vaguely remember this series. I remember seeing it dubbed before I was really a dub fan so I’ll have to go back and check it out.

Don’t feel too bad, I still haven’t seen it and I own it.
It’s been on my backlog for a few years now.
Man, I really need to start digging into my unwatched series backlog one of these days.

My thoughts exactly. I picked this up during a Section 23 sale two years ago and I still haven’t got around to watching it.

WHAT!!! :open_mouth:

All youze crazy fools, still haven’t seen Goddanar?

What’s wrong with youze?

It’s a Matt Greenfield dub, that there should get ya all to wathch it now.

So do it…and be amazed by how similar Pacific Rim seems to be inspired by the anime.

I’m happy to see the return of this one. I agree with tonka - it should be enjoyed! :laugh: