Penguindrum / Manwaru Penguindrum

Penguindrum / Manwaru Penguindrum

Watch on HIDIVE

Genres: drama, mystery, psychological, supernatural
Themes: conspiracy, destiny, penguins, resurrection, tragedy
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: Himari Takakura passes away after going out on a trip with her brothers, twins Kanba and Shōma. She was, however, miraculously saved by a spirit in a penguin-shaped hat. In return for her extended life, the twins must search for an item known as the Penguin Drum with the aid of three penguins, which are visible only to the siblings.
Number of episodes: 24
Vintage: 2011-07-07 to 2011-12-22

ANN Info Page

Sentai Filmworks Press Release

Per PR:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES “PENGUIN DRUM”

HOUSTON, September 10, 2012 — Join Sentai Filmworks’ in marching to a different beat as they announce their latest acquisition, the quirky, unusual, and always off-beat: Penguin Drum. Featuring direction and series composition by Kunihiko Ikuhara (Sailor Moon, Revolutionary Girl Utena) and with character designs by Terumi Nishii and music by Yukari Hashimoto (MM!, Mayo Chiki!).

Once you make a decision, does the universe conspire to make it happen? Is destiny a matter of chance, a matter of choice or the complex outcome of thousands of warring strands of fate? All twins Kanba and Shoma know is that when their terminally ill sister Himari collapses at the aquarium, her death is somehow temporarily reversed by the penguin hat that she had asked for. It’s a provisional resurrection, however, and it comes at a price: to keep Himari alive they need to find the mysterious Penguin Drum. In order to do that, they must first find the links to a complex interlocking chain of riddles that has wrapped around their entire existence, and unravel the knots that tie them to mystifying diary and a baffling string of strangers and semi-acquaintances who all have their own secrets, agendas and “survival strategies.” And in order for Himari to live, someone else’s chosen destiny will have to change. It’s a story of love, fate, life, death … and Penguins: PENGUIN DRUM!

Penguin Drum will be available through select digital outlets with a home video release on both bilingual DVD & BD later this year.

About Sentai Filmworks:
Sentai Filmworks is one of the fastest-growing anime companies in North America, producing hit series like High School of the Dead, Towanoquon, Samurai Girls, Guin Saga, Needless and Angel Beats as well as high profile theatrical films such as Grave of the Fireflies and Appleseed. Sentai Filmworks’ programs can be found on home video distributed by Ingram Entertainment, Baker & Taylor, Section23Films, The Right Stuf and other good and fine distributors. Digital product offerings may be found at iTunes, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Zune Marketplace, Anime Network, Playstation Network, Android Market and YouTube.

Re:cycle of Penguindrum (movies) - Vintage: 2022-04-29

Been waiting for someone to pick this up so looking forward to December for the first part.

Figma Princess of the Crystal

This show has been Prinny approved.

and I hear that the girl on the cover is not the main character of the series. Weird.

I like the Melody of Oblivion well enough, and so the possible similarities mentioned on Fandom Post sold me on this. I also needed something to “balance out” my preorder for Steins;Gate Part II (Seriously, Sentai doesn’t have much in the end of 2012 of interest for me so I’m expanding my horizons/lowering my standards; whichever fits).

Dub Premier this weekend at Nekocon

1pm Saturday

Nice. I don’t think I’ll be there for it though, tragically.

So…about that premiere…

Collection 1 Cover/Disc Art

DVD

Blu-ray

Well it’s the cover art that was unofficially released back when I preordered so that’s good, well, as good as it is going to get. I’m hoping the series will be good, from what I’ve seen it could easily become another Book of Bantorra (ie:great dub lackluster show) but as soon as my months-out-placed preorder comes I’ll get to see it all for myself. That time can’t come soon enough. Knowing rightstuf I’ll be kinda surprised if I don’t have it in my mailbox by the end of the month :slight_smile:

Sorry I skipped it, I was in line to get J. Michael Tatum, Brina Palancia, and Chris Cason’s autograph.

I did the Friday autographs so that I would be free on Saturday for the premiere but then stuff got in the way.

What happened with Tony? Didn’t have anything for him to sign?

Title is now one word ‘Penguindrum’ per WTK of The Fandom Post

Penguindrum English Dub Cast

ADR Director: Steven Foster

Kanba Takakura - Illich Guardiola
Shoma Takakura - Blake Shepard
Himari Takakura - Monica Rial
Ringo Oginome - Emily Neves
Masako Natsume - Maggie Flecknoe
Satoshi - Adam Gibbs
Felzel - Adam Gibbs

Now RightStuf just has to get it to me. There are only 24 days left until its street date and yet it has not yet made it to my mailbox. This is extremely slow for RS, their cutting of the street date is their #1 advantage over Amazon. I’ve noticed this saddening trend, not having the legendary early shipping, on my past few RS orders.

Get the lead out RS!

via Anime Crossroads

Planned for March release:

• Penguindrum: Collection 2 – DVD & BD

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?14291-Sentai-Filmworks-licenses-Penguindrum/page8

Well I’ll be…the folks at RightStuf are still alive as they’ve finally started processing my order! I was getting concerned, but I saw the charge show up on my account this morning so I might not have to go out to IA and check on 'em after all :wink:

Will it actually ship and arrive in my mailbox before the street date? That’s what I want to know.

Also concerning is that Mardock Scramble II has a street date of the day after Penguindrum and RS hasn’t even budged on shipping it. Persona 4 is only 16 days after and its situation is equally dire.

Seriously RS, get your rear in gear and get back your #1 (and only) advantage over Amazon!

Well I just saw Ep 1. It was, well, interesting. Not sure what I just watched yet, however.

Please tell me, and let it be so, that the transformation song and Summer Wars-esque “other world” aren’t going to make repeat appearances in this. There’s also something awkward about the phrase “Survival Tactic” in the dub, though I am still very much enjoying the dub.

I don’t think that this will outdo Melody of Oblivion, but it’s still got a ways to go, so I’ll try to reserve judgment.

After watching the first collection I could say no it never happens again but I would be lying many times over. :laugh:

Sad face :frowning: :frowning:

“Survival Tactic” is no “Ring out the Melody!”, I must say.

Melody of Oblivion had horribly low budget animation, but while Penguindrum doesn’t appear as cheap I don’t really care for how they’re using the same “techniques” used in Summer Wars and Durarara. Other shows might have “greyed out” unimportant people in scenes, but I’ll always think of DRRR when I see it.

I suppose having Ilich wax philosophical counts for something.