Princess Tutu

Princess Tutu

Genres: drama, magic, psychological, romance
Themes: ballet, fairy tales, magical girl
Objectionable content: Mild
Number of episodes: 38
Vintage: 2002-08-16 to 2003-05-23
Plot Summary: 13-year-old ballet student Ahiru is clumsy, good-hearted and sweet… and has a big secret. The mysterious Drosselmayer morphed a young duck into a girl to give her a mission: help a Prince to get the parts of his heart back. With that in mind, she morphs into Princess Tutu, whose magical dances ease the pain and purifies the bad feelings.

ANN Info Page

So I watched the trailer. cough Anyone seen it?

I did. It pulls elements from a lot of classical ballet stories and the music is beautiful. I really liked it, but it might be too girly for some.

I haven’t watched all of this but I have seen several episodes. It was a bit “girly” at times, but I did like what I saw. This show has a pretty devoted fanbase out there.

I love this anime! I have all six dvds and my 13 year old cousins (boys) want to see it too! Scary 0.0 I don’t thinks it’s too girly. I think it’s cute. I’m not girly in any way at all.

I have it set to go on Hulu and was looking at one of the reviews-it was hilarious! The reviewer addressed the “girly” aspects of the show head-on. I was so entertained by the review I left a comment. You should go over there and see them: http://www.hulu.com/princess-tutu

[size=16]Princess Tutu DVD Complete Collection (Hyb)[/size]

I saw 2 episodes last year when ANN was featuring it on its main page. I wasn’t too thrilled as the show didn’t seem to know if it wanted to be a dark & serious show or an absurd comedy, and TBH the disturbing relationship between the 2 male characters first introduced was too creepy for me. I guess its for the fangirls…

The AMV in the AMV Hell Minis season 1 where they linked this to the witch sound effects from L4D was kinda funny though, IMO :wink:

That release on rightstuf does have all the legendary extras, which I still haven’t seen, but I just don’t know if I could have this in my collection. Want but do not want…ambivalence sux :frowning:

You kind of have to have an open mind with this one.
It’s a dark twist on fairy tales, and revolves around magical girls and ballet.

I didn’t like it overly much when I saw it a few years back (though apparently I gave a 3.5/5 rating on AP), but now that I’ve seen Puella Magi Madoka Magica and put quite a few series under my belt since then, I should probably give it another chance one of these days.

I suppose since I am making my way through the PMMM (which I’m not really a fan of) I could eventually give this show a shot. I do remember it having a MUCH better dub than does PMMM. Bang/Zoom tried to be Stephen Foster (using lines like “for reals”; interesting that the internet didn’t rag on Bang/Zoom for that) but failed. I’m also not sure whose idea it was to keep awkwardly using the phrase “magical girls” over and over again, but that person was wrong :wink:

How long will the series be 20 bucks @ rightStuf? It’s hard for me to place an order under $50 on rightStuf, but I don’t have anything else in mind that costs 30 bucks.

Also, how is the packaging? It says 6 discs. Is that in a stack, a paged case, a thin-pak, or what (please don’t let it be stack…)?

Pretty sure it’s a stackpak, since that’s the new Aesir release.

Brutal. I was really hoping, against hope, that it’d be a thinpak like the set on sale for Abenobashi was. Besides Golgo 13 that has been the only non-stack, non-bluray Sentai release that I’ve gotten.

Say, why is it 6 dvds anyhow? I haven’t seen 26 eps over 6 dvds in years. Is Aesir using the older, ~half-capacity dvds or might it be that there are really that many extras? :wink:

Why is this being released under the aegis of Aesir anyhow (I couldn’t help myself there)?

(As cool as Norse mythology is, IMO Sentai should have named their company ACROSS…)

Yup, it’s definately a stackpack.
And yup, there’s really that many extras on each disc.

[quote=“tonka”]Yup, it’s definately a stackpack.
And yup, there’s really that many extras on each disc.[/quote]

That could almost be in the brain drain thread. :wink:

Oops, wrong thread. I was thinking along the lines of “You get all the extras, but you can’t watch them because they’re on a stack-pack”. Brutal.

[quote=“celestial_being”]Say, why is it 6 dvds anyhow? I haven’t seen 26 eps over 6 dvds in years. Is Aesir using the older, ~half-capacity dvds or might it be that there are really that many extras? :wink:

Why is this being released under the aegis of Aesir anyhow (I couldn’t help myself there)?

(As cool as Norse mythology is, IMO Sentai should have named their company ACROSS…)[/quote]

You’d think since they probably had to edit out the ADV logo’s and stuff they’d have put the show on to 4 disc and add a 5th for the extra’s. It’s one of the few series they’ve not changed the original disc count. I think RahXephon was the other that they did not change the disc count. It may just be the way they had the materials set up for the disc and it’d cost more to reauthorize it to a lower disc count.

Unfortunately except for the newer Orphen set and one other I can’t remember the name of all of the Sentai sets over 3 disc count are stackpaks. I have a feeling until Nexpak stops making them Sentai will continue to use them.

I have bought Princess Tutu as a blind buy during Deep Discount’s Black Friday sale. At 6 or 7 bucks a piece, there were a lot of “Why not ?” purchases and PT was one of them. Although the set I have is not the one currently on sale at Right Stuf (it’s the http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/N24q7n15rgMBBnMYv5/browse/item/82785/4/0/0)

That version has 6 DVDs in a stackpak case. Stackpaks are fine for 4 DVDs or less, but the 5th barely hangs in there and the 6th on top floats in the case. As for the extras, I’m only on the 2nd disc but there seems to be a lot of stuff on there : commentaries, featurettes and 3 TV specials. I haven’t seen any of those yet.

As for the show: the first impression you get is that it’s a children anime made for school girls. You get the Princess Tutu transformation in every episode and the usual situations found in every shoujo anime. However, that being said, I haven’t seen a bad episode yet. Junichi Sato, who worked on Aria and Kaleido Star, is the director for this so you know it’s good stuff. There are a lot of sight gags but the main storyline is good, solid material (but again, I’m only at about a third of the series).

I’m also loving Luci Christian’s work on this one. It’s over-the-top but so much fun, especially the duck voice.

As a blind purchase, it was a win. I’m looking forward to see where it will go. For whatever it’s worth, I recommend giving it a shot goofy thumbs up

Is this still on RightStuf? It’s not listed as being in stock, instead it says “We’ll get it for you”. The last time I encountered that (Adventures in Voice Acting), it took almost 2 months to arrive. Has anyone gotten this through the offer yet?

I can’t say that I’ve seen Aria and Kaleido Star. I think I saw some of Kaleido Star years ago, but I don’t really recall it.

Someday I hope Sentai sees the light and goes away from Stack packs forever, and hopefully (for shows that were actually produced in HD) decides to create blu-ray combo packs. I’d rather pay 5 bucks more for a combo-pack than almost double to buy the blu-ray and dvd versions (which I’m doing now). That’s neither here nor now, but I had to vent a bit as I’m trying to dig out dvds from a Sentai stack as we “speak” :wink:

It’s still there it’s just out of stock and may not be a printed item so Aesir probably has to print new copies. I had the Real Adventures of Johnny Quest part 1 with that before it took 4 months for them to get copies and that was from Warner Bros. Then when I got it there was floaters so they had to order me another copy. Which only took a month that time. That said Rightstuf is usually pretty good about if they know they can’t get anymore removing the listings so they are usually pretty sure they can get some more if a item is still listed.

I’m hoping someday when Blu-ray’s become cheaper we see HD releases of shows that have a HD video even if they can’t dub them. Well of course if the Japanese let them release them at all. There is a couple companies no one can get Blu-ray rights from out of fear of reverse importation.

That reminds me that they released the 2nd DVD set for the real adventures a few weeks ago, but amazon sold out (last I looked) and the only way to get it now is to order it directly from Warner bros, where my Prime and points mean nothing :frowning:

I haven’t had much success with buying non anime from rightstuf as they were sold out of avatar and their archer blurays were ten dollars higher than on amazon (I was surprised to see them on rightstuf though).

That show was my favorite out of all the Toonami shows that I saw. Sadly it isn’t getting the love on DVD.

More on topic, I’m still leery of the “get it for you” as the Adventures DVD took so long that I forgot that I had ordered it, and it didn’t arrive in time for the con that I bought it for :frowning: Though for this I don’t urgently need it.

EDIT:now trajq 2 is on Amazon for preorder @ 40 with a may 25 release date, but before it was sold out… Interesting.