Recipes

I’ve been wanting to make one of those Japanese Strawberry shortcakes you see in all the anime series. I found what looks to be a great recipe and will be trying it out this weekend while I’m staying at a resort. I hope it goes well. :slight_smile:

[size=4]Japanese Strawberry Shortcake[/size]
Makes one 7 or 8-inch layered cake

For Noriko’s sponge cake:
4 large eggs, white and yolks separated
4.2 ounces (120 grams, 9.5 tablespoons) granulated sugar, sifted once
3 tablespoons milk, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4.2 ounces (120 grams, 14 tablespoons) cake flour, sifted 3 times
1.2 ounces (22 grams, 2.3 tablespoons) butter, melted

For the stabilized whipped cream frosting:
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
4 teaspoons cold water
1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the simple syrup:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water

8 – 10 ounces fresh strawberries

To make Noriko’s Sponge Cake:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (170 to 180 degrees Celsius). Line a 7 (18cm) or 8-inch circular cake pan with parchment paper, or grease the cake pan with butter, then lightly coat the pan with flour.

2. Add the sugar to the egg whites, and beat the egg whites until they are stiff and glossy.

3. Add the egg yolks to the egg white mixture, and gently whisk until the yolks are incorporated.

4. Add the milk, vanilla extract, and flour (in that order) to the batter and gently fold them into the batter with a spatula. Fold in the melted butter until it is well combined.

5. Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan, and get rid of any air bubbles in the batter by dropping the pan on a counter once or twice. Bake the cake for 25 to 30 minutes. The cake is done when it is golden brown and springs back when pressed lightly. Let the cake cool completely on a wire rack. Run a blade around the inside of the pan to loosen the cake, and remove.

To make the Stabilized Whipped Cream Frosting:

1. Put the cold water in a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin over the surface of the water and let stand for 5 minutes (do not stir). Place the saucepan over low heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon just until the gelatin dissolves. Remove the saucepan from the heat and cool to room temperature.

2.In a mixing bowl, combine the whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla and beat until slightly thickened. Then, while beating slowly, gradually pour the gelatin into the whipped cream mixture. Then whip the mixture at high speed until stiff.

To make the Simple Syrup:

1. In a medium saucepan combine the sugar and water. Bring the water to a boil, stirring, until sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

To assemble the cake:

1. Reserve 6 to 1o strawberries for decorating the cake. Slice the remaining strawberries into thin slices (about 4 slices per strawberry).

2. Slice the sponge cake horizontally into 2 layers.

3. Place one sponge layer cut-side up on a cake board or serving plate and lightly crush the surface with the simple syrup. Spread a thin layer of whipped cream over the cake layer and arrange the strawberry slices over the surface. Spread an additional layer of whipped cream over the strawberries. Brush the cut-side of the second layer with the simple syrup and place it over the first layer. Frost the sides and top of the cake with the remaining whipped cream. Decorate as desired and garnish with the reserved strawberries.

[quote=“ShawnMerrow” post=112883]Got this recipe in an email and tried it out today. It came out really good and was not hard to make.

I used pineapple instead yesterday and it was great. :slight_smile:

ShawnMerrow - Do you think that recipe would work in a loaf pan? It seems to me it would, but you made it so I’m looking for your opinion.

Cody - How did the sponge cake come out? Was it any different than any sponge cake?

I used a square pan with no problems, so doubt you would have any problems with a loaf pan.

I made the strawberry bread. It was good, and yet, I wanted more strawberry flavor. So I made it again today and modified it by doing the following:

Pureed only half of the strawberries, just chopped the other half.
Took out the cinnamon.
Added the zest of half of a lemon.
Added a half teaspoon of almond extract. (Not the imitation kind)

I got more strawberry flavor this time. I’m thinking about trying it again, but substituting sour cream for some of the oil.

[quote=“MrsRish” post=114321]I made the strawberry bread. It was good, and yet, I wanted more strawberry flavor. So I made it again today and modified it by doing the following:

Pureed only half of the strawberries, just chopped the other half.
Took out the cinnamon.
Added the zest of half of a lemon.
Added a half teaspoon of almond extract. (Not the imitation kind)

I got more strawberry flavor this time. I’m thinking about trying it again, but substituting sour cream for some of the oil.[/quote]

Maybe you could add a tablespoon of strawbrerry syrup for some extra flavor?
Slick

There’s a good thought! That can be round three. (I guess I’ve never mentioned the pumpkin bread obsession that I went through. The people where I worked enjoyed it, and it came out really good.)

Interesting, let me know how it goes.

Made a batch with Kiwi instead of Strawberries today and it was the best so far.

[size=5]Edible Napalm[/size] (at least that is what people have told me to call my mild BBQ sauce)

BASE:
50 fresh picked Habeneros
1/2 oz dried crushed red pepper
Bicardi Rum

gloves
canning/pickle jar w lid
refrigerator

1. wash habs under cold water rinsing them off and lay to drip dry
  2. remove stems from habs and slice into fine strips (remember some people should use gloves when handling habs)
  3. place sliced habs in your jar
  4. pour the crushed red pepper into the jar
  5. fill jar and top off with the rum
  6. close lid TIGHT on jar, and shake vigorously to mix thoroughly
  7. wash outside of jar and place in fridge for a month, mixing once or twice a week
    (longer time creates a hotter flavor)

see you again in a month for how to turn this into BBQ sauce. :wink:

Oh man, something else to try! Cut me a break here, I can’t keep up! :laugh:

[quote=“MrsRish” post=114360]

Oh man, something else to try! Cut me a break here, I can’t keep up! :laugh:[/quote]

Seems any fruit that you can puree will work.

The sour cream experiment was a wash. It seemed to remove some of the strawberry flavor. Also, it staled very quickly (in all versions) so I might cut back on some of the sugar to help with that.

Shawn - Thank you for sharing that recipe! The experimentation has been fun. :slight_smile:

Your welcome. :slight_smile:

The easiest and best brownies you’ll ever make. (IMHO!) (Recipe is from Baker’s Secret chocolate box with a couple of modifications.)

4 squares unsweetened chocolate

3/4 cup (3 sticks) butter

1 & 3/4 cups sugar

1 Tablespoon espresso powder

3 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

1 cup flour

Pre-heat oven to 350

Line 13x9-inch pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides. Spray foil with cooking spray.

Microwave chocolate and butter in large microwaveable bowl on high 2 mins. or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. (I find this works best if you use cold butter.)

Mix the espresso powder with the sugar, making sure the powder has no lumps. Stir into melted butter & chocolate.

Add eggs and vanilla.

Bake 22 to 28 minutes. (I check them at 22 minutes to make sure they don’t get overbaked. These are a fudgy brownie and you don’t want them to be dry.)

Good additions are chocolate chips or any kind of nuts.

So I’ve been churning out cookies today for tomorrow’s court of honors. And I’m not even all that crazy for pumpkin, but holy f*ck these are amazing. Simply divine. I’ve passed the word on to other people and the ones that have made these are in love.

Recipe: http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/32364/Old-Fashioned-Soft-Pumpkin-Cookies/detail.aspx

As some of you may know, I am a big animal lover. Here are some healthy treats for your canine companion. Cheap, natural, gaunteed to be a puppy pleaser unless you have a vegatarian dog, and without all the weird stuff pet food places add to their products.

Turkey Hot Dog Treats Recipe

Need:
1 package turkey hot dogs
garlic powder
paper towels

1. Cut hot dogs lengthwise into quarters.
2. Slice the quarters into small slices (the size of pencil erasers)
3. Place 2 cut-up hot dogs spread out in a single layer on a microwave-safe plate lined with 3 sheets of paper towels (do not cover)
4. Sprinkle a very small amount of garlic powder on them
5. Microwave on high for about 4 to 5 minutes (turning the hot dogs over half way through)
6. Remove paper towels from plate and allow hot dogs to cool
7. Reline plate with paper towels and place another 2 cut-up hot dogs on plate and repeat steps 4   and 5 until all the hot dogs have been done
8. When all the hot dogs are completely cooled place in a zip-lock bag or air tight container

The hot dogs are so dry they keep very well. It is suggested that you monitor while cooking since all
microwaves vary. I prefer to cut the hot dogs in thin slices rather than in quarters but it works either way. The important part is to nuke most of the moisture out of them. The easiest way to get the garlic powder on your hot dog bits is to poor some into one hand and then pinch a small amount between your thumb and two fingers and sprinkle it on that way. I also use 2 paper towel lined plates so when it is time to turn the hot dogs over I can just put one plate over the other and flip it.

[quote=“Froggy” post=116433]As some of you may know, I am a big animal lover. Here are some healthy treats for your canine companion. Cheap, natural, gaunteed to be a puppy pleaser unless you have a vegatarian dog, and without all the weird stuff pet food places add to their products.

Turkey Hot Dog Treats Recipe[/quote]

I had to read that twice before I noticed the words “for your canine companion.”

And I hope no one has a vegetarian dog - to the best of my knowledge they’re obligate carnivores. (Yes, they’re omnivores but they must have meat.)

Honey-Lemon Chicken Over Rice

Serves 5 to 6

11" x 8" Pyrex baking dish
10 Tbs Measuring Glass
Wooden Chopstick
Cutting Board
Large Knife
Rice Cooker
Microwave

1.5 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
6 Tbsp Lemon Juice
3 Tbsp Honey
1 Cup Tri-colored Pepper Mix (Red, Green, Yellow)
1 Bag (14 oz) Mahatma Valencia SHORT Grain Rice
2 Cup Water

• Preheat oven to 400F

• Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and place in baking dish

• Measure the honey and then the lemon into the measuring glass

• Put the glass into the microwave for 20 seconds

• Stir the honey and lemon using the chopstick until well blended

• Pour the honey and lemon mixture over the chicken

• Top the chicken with the tri-color peppers

• Bake for 30 min stirring several times

• Put water into rice cooker

• Put rice into rice cooker

• Close and start cooker

Serve the chicken over the rice. Eat and enjoy.

NOTE: If you start the rice cooker right after you put the chicken in the oven the rice will be done shortly before the chicken.