AN Forums

Recipes

Made this tonight and it was great. I did make one mistake, I put in 2 tablespoons of chili powder instead of 1. I liked it so will keep doing it that way. Also used a whole green bell pepper and onion.

ShawnMerrow wrote:

[quote]Made this tonight and it was great. I did make one mistake, I put in 2 tablespoons of chili powder instead of 1. I liked it so will keep doing it that way. Also used a whole green bell pepper and onion.

I have a similar recipe, but I use pork 'n beans instead of chili beans. My recipe varies a little more, but the pork 'n beans are the main difference.
Slick

This is something I did since we had some extra shredded cheese.

Microwaved Italian Baked Potato

Take one or two medium to small russet potato and poke holes in them.

Place in microwave safe bowl. Place in microwave along with a glass of water. That is important to keep the potato from drying out.

Cook for 13 1/2 minutes. Note this is for a 700 watt microwave, reduce time for more powerful models. The goal is to get it easy to cut with a fork.

Divide potato in half.

Using a brush cover each side with olive oil.

Sprinkle with garlic powder and oregano.

Top with shredded Mozzarella and Parmesan then cook to melt cheese.

The results are really tasty.

Mmmm, sounds good. Anything involving a microwave has automatic approval.

Found this recipe in a grocery store flier (Albertsons). I made it last night with fruit cocktail and everyone liked it.

Cinnamon Fruit Crumble

Ingredients
½ Cup Quick-cooking rolled oats
½ Cup Packed Brown Sugar
¼ Cup All-purpose flour
½ tsp. Ground Cinnamon
Dash of salt
¼ Cup Butter or margarine
3 Cans (15.25 oz) of Fruit drained.

Directions
Combine oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside.

Pour fruit in a 10 x 8 inch baking dish. Sprinkle crumb mixture over top.

Bake in 350 degree oven, 40 minutes. Can be served with ice cream or frozen yogurt.

Planning to do an all pineapple version with double the topping.

Baked Pork Chops

I made this for dinner and it was wonderful. They came out very tender and moist. We had salad and garlic bread with them.

http://www.answerstv.com/AnswersTV/Channel.aspx?ChannelID=523dcd4b-12bc-4ad9-a1d5-64b59bf3b4fe

Since we don’t like mustard made a few modifications.

10 ounces tomato sauce - did not seem to be enough so used 2 15oz cans and increased spices for new amount.

½ teaspoon dry mustard - replaced with a combo of 50% garlic powder and 50% oregano. The garlic powder was a little strong so next time will make it a 1/3 instead of half.

ShawnMerrow wrote:

[quote]Baked Pork Chops

I made this for dinner and it was wonderful. They came out very tender and moist. We had salad and garlic bread with them.

http://www.answerstv.com/AnswersTV/Channel.aspx?ChannelID=523dcd4b-12bc-4ad9-a1d5-64b59bf3b4fe

[quote]
RECIPE:[/quote]

Baked Pork Chops
Serves 4

Ingredients:
10 ounces tomato sauce
4 pork chops
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons brown sugar
½ teaspoon dry mustard
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon salt

Equipment
Skillet
Mixing Bowl
Baking dish

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high.

Place the pork chops in the skillet, browning each side for about 2 minutes per side.

Remove from the skillet and place in a baking dish.

Combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar, dry mustard, salt, and pepper.

Cover the pork chops with the tomato sauce mixture.

Bake uncovered for about 1 hour, until the temperature reaches 160 degrees F.

Remove from the oven.

Serve.

Since we don’t like mustard made a few modifications.

10 ounces tomato sauce - did not seem to be enough so used 2 15oz cans and increased spices for new amount.

½ teaspoon dry mustard - replaced with a combo of 50% garlic powder and 50% oregano. The garlic powder was a little strong so next time will make it a 1/3 instead of half.[/quote]

I think I should let you in on a couple of modifications for this recipe, just so it is more enjoyable.

First dredge your pork chops in seasoned flour (that is mixed salt, pepper, and flour, don’t be afraid of putting about a table spoon of salt per 1/2 cup flour) You can season the flour however you want with paprika, Cajun seasoning, or just salt and pepper, get experimental. take your pork chop, season that with a little salt and pepper then cover it in your flour mixture and shake off the excess tap it, there should be a thin dusting of flour on your chop.

second, make sure there is oil in your pan before searing the pork, heat the oil so that is sizzles if you were to put the pork in, shake the pan a little as you put in the pork to keep the pork chops from sticking to bottom of the pan, this method takes practice(and if you are too violent in shaking the pan, you may splash HOT[350 deg+] oil on yourself, be careful)sear the chop until you get a golden color on the coating, then turn and sear the other side of the chop golden.

tips: don’t worry too much about the amount of oil as you are not using it after searing the chops. also be sure to add more oil to the pan if it is low on oil

everything else seems fine other than cooking the pork to 160. in this day and age it is not wholly necessary to heat pork to 160 as it will be tough and dry, 150-155 is a fine temperature to cook pork safely while maintaining moisture and tenderness as well as food safety.

Did cook till 160, it came out very moist and tender. As for the other steps sounds more like fried pork chops then baked.

Haissan wrote:

I agree with Haissan on this - 160 can be dry. I’ve not tried to bake it, though. In fact, if you trust your butcher, 145 is fine too. Some people are turned off by a slightly pink center in pork - Me? I love it that moist. Love my lamb, venison, and beef like that - so why not my pork?

ShawnMerrow wrote:

Wow! That sounds good. Let us know how it turns out, if you do it.

rish11 wrote:

[quote]ShawnMerrow wrote:

Wow! That sounds good. Let us know how it turns out, if you do it.[/quote]

I did and it was wonderful!

As for the pork, trust me it was very moist at 160 also I’m one who hates the sight of pink meat and will often make me nauseous from just seeing it on my plate. I will be sticking with government guidelines that says 160 °F for all cuts of pork. I also have an auto-immune disease and there are just some risks that I will not take.

ShawnMerrow wrote:

tis not fried like this it is a method that is meant to help maintain moisture as well as make the sauce thicken a little.
if you really want to get technical you’re actually doing whats called a braise which is to start with dry heat cooking (searing the meat) to a moist heat cooking (poaching in a sauce) and you cannot bake a meat, you roast them…

I agree with rish, pink in pork is not a bad thing anymore, it used to be when pigs were higher risk and had more insects living in them, but it is not the case anymore, pg does no need to be cooked to death. Also, if you have proper bacon, its already a cured meat so it does not need cooking, you can eat it right out of the package!

Have you tried a medium rare steak before? its juicy and soft and ohhh so delicious. if you have an auto immune disease, you should probably find out which one and find out what it leaves you most susceptible to exposure. If you were to get a disease from meat improperly cooked poultry would be the most likely candidate, followed by pig. cow meat is pretty much safe simply because you can eat it blue, by that I mean you sear the outside and serve it at a body temperature…this is how our french culinary instructor likes his steak, its still mooing… :woohoo:

the reason pork was cooked to 160 is because of the high instance of parasitic insects being in the meat, with the advent of modern technologies it doesn’t happen anymore…

I have Inflammatory Bowel Disease and just the sight of under cooked meat can make me nauseated and will not eat it. Also IBD puts me at higher risk of contracting food borne illness. I will be sticking to safe handling guidelines.

ShawnMerrow wrote:

Damn Shawn, that does suck. I have a friend with IBD, and he had some real problems. I hope you you can control it.
Slick

does spicy food do it for you?

Not a fan of heavy spicy food but can handle some. I do like Chinese spicy food when my sinus are congested as it will often open them up.

Shrimp stir fry

Ingredients
extra virgin olive oil
shrimp precooked frozen tail off deviened
frozen stir fry veggies or if your feeling motivated cut ur own
Cajun seasoning

Instructions
Put extra virgin oil oil in skillet at mid heat. Add shrimp first and cook til you feel ready to add veggies then Cajun seasoning to your liking and PRESTO!!! Also steamed rice goes amazing with this so yeah break out the chopsticks.

I love Olive Garden’s Pasta e Fagioli and looked for a recipe that was similar. I found one and tried it out. I would say its about 98-99% match for the Olive Garden version. I plan to make this on a regular bases.

Got this recipe in an email and tried it out today. It came out really good and was not hard to make.

A recipe I got from the Food Network. I substituted some broccoli for some of the carrots.