Dear Rai

Dear Rai,
I really like Tomboys, and the athletically inclined women. I have no idea why, but they get my juices flowing.
Haissan

Dear Rai,
I watched popotan today and I have this sudden urge to talk to dandelions.
Haissan

Dear Rai,
Did you know if you added an ‘-n’ to the end of your name you would be “Rain”?
Haissan

Haissan wrote:

[quote]
Dear Rai,
Did you know if you added an ‘-n’ to the end of your name you would be “Rain”?
Haissan[/quote]

III WANNA KNOOW
HAVE YOU EVEEEER SEEEEN THE RAI

Dear Rai,

Did you know that Anime spelled backwards is Emina?

Someone who hates you

Dear Rai,

After the previous question, I must ask: If you watch your anime DVDs backwards, do you find out who the real Slim Shady is?

Dear rai,

I have recently noticed many people have posted nothing but questions on this thread, clearly misinterpreting the message, and its purpose. It saddens me to have to think this, but it was rather closed off of them to think that by simply asking rai questions they would be significant. Today in class we made Minestrone, Chicken Consomme, and French onion soup. it all kinda needed sale. I think it is one of the problems our group has, we are lways short on the salt aspect. well anyway, last night, gentay can attest to this, I made a Peaches and Yogurt soup. Before you raise an eyebrow I want you to keep in mind this soup is served cold. I must say I have a hard time not just eating it right up all at once. it is very sweet, however all it has in it is about 2 oz of honey, which is really only about 4 table spoons. The natural sweetness of the soup combined with a balance of tart makes it extremely wonderful just just snack on. the whole thisng is bit expensive tho, I think if it were made in copious amounts it would be better. I Do think if I were to make something for a dinner party at my parents house, that soup would be one of them. I suppose when we get to more in-depth things on culinary arts at school I will be making the most delectable of dishes. Well rai, the night wears on and I have much more to say, but I think it can wait until next time.

love,
Haissan

Dear Rai,

How does I Me My Strawberry Eggs taste? Have you had a Fruits Basket lately?

outlander wrote:

[quote]Dear Rai,

Someone who hates you[/quote]

Did you also know that you can’t spell animes without enimas?
Slick

slickwolfie wrote:

[quote]outlander wrote:

[quote]Dear Rai,

Slick[/quote]

And apparently you have to be from Maine.

slickwolfie wrote:

[quote]outlander wrote:

[quote]Dear Rai,

Slick[/quote]

I just noticed I spelled enema wrong, so forget what I said.
Slick

Dear Rai,

Some people still don’t understand what this is about. I want to share today with you. I woke up late today, I was supposed to be up for class and in class by 630am and I woke up at about 635am. I was ashamed. After about 5 minute of a chorus of curses and a panicky throw together of my clothing, I managed to get in my car and phone the Chef teaching class, it was quite the call, very dry, “I think the reason I am calling is rather obvious, sir. I will be there in about 40 minutes, I am coming from Fairfield.” I managed to get to class about a quarter past the hour. I had forgotten my neckerchief so I had to purchase one at the school’s supply store. I love their store, it is reasonably priced merchandise. Today in class we prepared Chicken Veloute, Cream of Mushroom Soup, and Split Pea soup. I was in charge of the Chicken for our group. It was rather entertaining today, as I tried to make myself more relaxed and cohesive with my group. It can be difficult since I have that compulsion to be in control, but I managed okay. It was fun. There were several times throughout the cooking process I thought I screwed up, but it was quite alright. To make the Veloute you must make what is called a roux. Anyone familiar with Louisiana cooking would know this is basically melted butter and flour mixed in equal parts by weight. What some people don’t know is there are three types of roux: white, blonde, and brown. Each is made the exact same way, you just cook them longer to get the darker colors. For my veloute I accidentally made a white roux, which means I did not cook the starches long enough to get a blond, the difference is maybe 25 to 40 seconds of cooking. You have to cook it so you can just smell the starches cooking for a white, the blonde gets a richer aroma, and brown roux just turns to a really dark color. I am proud to say the Chef happened to go by the pot after I mixed the roux with the stock I was making, it was on a simmer, and he said it was excellent. I am proud of that.
One of the other steps for making the veloute is making a liaison, which is a mixture of cream and egg yolks. I had to make it a little bit in advance because our yolks were going to harden the way we had them. By the end we had our stuff ready, garnishes and all. It turns out I did not season my soup at all, so the taste was fairly flat, it only needed salt you know what I mean?

the other two soups, which were the Cream of Mushroom and the Split Pea, were divine. I am proud to say I like the guys I am grouped with. I think I really suck at this, mainly because I get ahead of myself and forget somethings at times, its like my mind goes blank when I try to do something. I don’t relax. I guess I am proud of the garnishes used in the cream of mushroom. I did not actually garnish it, but the guy who did was topping it with sliced mushroom, I asked him how he was going to do it and he had no clue, so I suggested lining three of them up in a fan pattern you know? and he liked it. Well, one cannot serve raw mushrooms as a garnish on a soup, so he had them on a pan for a bit and tried to cook them a bit. I suggested putting some oil in the pan and when he did there was an immediate difference, the mushrooms started to sizzle a bit and then brown. When they became fragrant we took them off the heat and boom garnish.

When we finally plated and called the chef over, his main concern was better time management, we agreed. He dd the review of the soups, Chicken needed salt, the split pea was excellent, and the Cream of Mushroom was as well, he commented on the garnish for the Mushroom in it being “appropriate”. I was kind proud since I kinda contributed.

Still that was the day in class. Tings were much less eventful after up till work at five. I did manage to take a nap. Wunderbar.

At work we were busy all night. I kid you not, we were jam packed. I started making sushi as soon as my shift started and had little time for anything else. I did have one break, but that was it. One of the highlights was a moment of sarcasm, the chef asked me if I had prepped some specific rolls for use later in the night, I said, “I have been too busy since I arrived and started working. I have not had time.” He pointed to my glass of ice tea and said “You had time to get that.” the tea ha been sitting out for an hour untouched since I put it there when I got it. “It take more time to make 5 rolls than it does to scoop ice in a cup and pour tea on it.” I get along fine with him, so we can pick up on our sarcasm. I have been in pain since i landed on my head from those back-flip attempts, it’s in the muscles all along my spine. I also have a headache that increases when I am in the chaotic environment at work. Right now, my head is still throbbing, but there is not really head pain. I might have a concussion or something, but I am not sure.

Well rai, thanks my man, hope you enjoyed your day.

Haissan

Boy, that’s a lot of work for something you can get in the store for $1.25 a can, and they even have a pop-top on them now -

the difference is the amount of sodium and the fact that you can make a lot of high quality food for relatively cheap we made more than 2 quarts with only about a pound of dried split peas. the individual components are really cheap too. as a matter of fact it is cheaper to buy a whole chicken and debone it yourself rather than buy those 4 breast packages and such. if you really want to get into the logistics, after you’ve finished with the breasts you still have two thighs and legs and wings to play with. not to mention anything you don’t use as meat can be saved to make stock or broth. I would recommend doing that sooner rather than later, or freezing the parts if you can’t.

Dear rai,
It was a pretty good day today, I have to say in class it was dull. I must point out it is a sanitation class. It is not supposed to be all that interesting. We reviewed one of the previous tests for safeserv which will enable a person who passes this test with a sanitation certificate that works on the national level. Basically until that certificate expires I can cook in any state and not have to take a sanitation certification course for that state. It works well in my opinion. I am not sure I did so well. No problems tho, I will study the sheet closely in order to have the right answers. After class i let myself loose a little much and it was odd how I can sometimes act like a child. I annoy myself with it. This is going to get self pitying, but just go with it for now. Usually I feel like I am misplaced from peoples social groups. My oddities make it difficult for people to really, I dunno, be comfortable around me, so it’s basically being alone in a crowded room. Done now. For extra credit in my purchasing class, the Chef was going to do a field trip to a little store called “99 Ranch”. It was quite amusing since we were all in our chef coats and all the asian people were staring at us. I confirmed with the chef what we were to do here and it was to walk around and examine the prices, I think she just wanted to get her groceries. The prices were amazingly low. We saw a beef tenderloin, looked like it was a five down, and it was like $1.50 a lb. I cannot remember exactly. they had bones for stocks and their bakery, oh my god. I bought this coconut bread, to die for. Sweet, but not overwhelmingly so. I was having a ball sharing what information i could about any product I could recognize. I even managed to help the Chef with a couple of things.

edit:

Sorry I posted prematurely.

So as we left the cashier asked us why there were so many of us in white coats, and I replied, some of us were doing an extra credit assignment, the rest were here on regular assignment, all we were to do was write a report about it and we were good. I then declared “In short we get extra credit to go grocery shopping; I wish more extra credit assignments were like this.”

Promptly m group headed back to the school and I dropped off my passengers and went home to read for about an hour (all of which I spent sitting on the toilet, I have no idea why i love to read there, but I always sit for hours on that porcelain throne just reading. Work was not all that remarkable.Turns out the chef got into an argument with his brother(the soux chef) and his brother went home. I was not present at the time, so I have no clue, just happy to not be in the drama. naturally the cooks and the waitresses warned me the chef was in a bad mood. I had him smiling at some point, good thing I don’t speak korean tho, he did have a moment with me when I was sipping on some soup that he mumbled in korean, I merely exclaimed, I wanted to get something real quick. I tried to drink the soup quickly, but it was hot…now I remember why my tongue has that burned feeling. anyway it was a steady night, not busy, but i was busy working the night through.

Dear rai,

Its a shame no one else wants to write to you. Well, I don’t have much to blog about except for this huge bit were my boss, who is a 6 foot Korean man with a very thick accent tried and failed to do a french accent, and speak french, I temporarily lost the ability to stand or sit…

LOL! Sanitation class… I’ve heard stories about that course. Who teaches it?

Well Spazzy, I have to say I am learning from Chef Horton, who is a doll at her job. Always with a smile. She reminds me of my grandmother. Regretfully I told her this, but I did not mean it in the way she is older, she has similar facial features, and they share that same aura about them. What stories have you heard?

Dear Rai,
Today was a dull day. I tried to find Jason David Franks Dojo. I failed miserably. Google maps really suck. no matter what anyone tells you, it’s not as good as you think. I found the place on map quest after I got home. I will try again another day. No I will not challenge him to a fight, the guy is a successful martial artist. He is a winner. Back on track, so after some deliberation on what to do, I went to my folks house, kinda just hung out. I am going to be having my stepfather formally adopt me. This means I will have a birth certificate change, and I will likely need to get a new social security card. That’s cool because I want to try and work on that new signature. I am still nervous about forsaking my last name, I am thinking I will have my stepfather’s last name added to the end as a fourth name. Alexander Kain Cantrell Cook is a bit odd, but not as odd as Albus Percivial Winfred Dumbledor or Integral Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing. Well anywho, that’s kinda it for my day. Dull I was sitting in a car all afternoon. Well, I did have a thought, I believe the Art Institutes has a curriculum that involves television broadcast or something like that. I was wondering if the folks at TAn might be able to coordinate about the broadcast industry and what they are learning in their skill classes can bring to them in the field blah blah blah. I only thought of this because of the field trip I took with my purchasing class to Martin Food Group, it was interesting to say the least. I think I blogged about it already. I suppose that is all I have to say up til the present, tomorrow will be an eventful one, as I did not work today nd instead will be pulling a double shift. I am thinking I am not getting what I need from my job fully, I am paid minimum wage and I think I need to find a better job with a few less hours and Higher pay. I am up way too late at times and my schedule can be complex. So I think I will take a look at the emplyment boards at school and try to find a job close to the school and figure out a better housing situation, i just don’t want to go through the pain in the ass that is moving, I just finished putting my books up in my bookshelf. I am thinking what I will do is have the guy pay me back the amount of rent after he has his next renter, you know, just sends me the guy’s rent since I paid him in advance and it would be like $400 for a month, if I get set up mid Feb. then I am cool with a pro-rate. total it would be about 600 owed to me. and I am patient. I need the change, its a pain in the ass to drive those 30-40 minutes at 5am…I would rather have a 10-15 minute drive. Well rai, thats how things are going, as far as my employer, I will have to ask them and point out how I feel about the situation honestly I think it is best for me there if I do find the job and ask them if they can match that pay and if not then explain that I do feel it works beter for me that I work at the other place, and I am only feeling that obligation to do so simply because thy threw me a life line when I was homeless. I just wish i could have worked there for the year that I promised. alas.

Haissan.

I don’t think it’s a good idea for you to change your Social Security Number. What you should do is just change your name on your current number. Just go in and ask for a change-of-name form like women do when they get married. People change their names all the time. Otherwise, you’ll screw up your benefits for later on in life.

You still have to go to the office and get a new card…that is what I was going on about dearie. I was not going to cange the number, I don’t want to have to memorize another.

Haissan wrote:

Oh… dear… I’m sorry, I misread what you wrote. My fault entirely. Forget I said anything.

lol, I may sound like I am coming down hard, but I really am not intending it to be the case!

Dear Rai,

I woke up at 6:30 this morning to take an Organic Chemistry exam. It kinda sucked, a lot. I liked my recent O. Chem professor better, his exams seemed much more fair.

Signed,
Hentai

P.S. Do you think that, down the road, when I’m looking for a job, potential employers will be able to link this account to my person? Dear god, I hope not, Hentai and Derek are two separate entities.