Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Thread

2010 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

Twelve artists are being considered for induction at the hall’s 25th anniversary ceremony in March.

ABBA
The Chantels
Jimmy Cliff
Genesis
The Hollies
KISS
LL Cool J
Darlene Love
Laura Nyro
Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Stooges
Donna Summer

Time.com

Don’t get me wrong, I like some of those bands, but none of them are rock & roll…

Hentai wrote:

What? How can you say that?

Kiss? ABBA? The Chantels?

I guess it’s because none of them are Oasis.

Okay, there are some that are definitely rock and roll, and some that are certainly historic. But something about the list just doesn’t seem right to me.

Donna Summers and ABBA in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame???

Eh only one there I like is Genesis. I suppose they can be rock if Steely Dan is rock.

Lol it’s actually not all that surprising once you realize who’s in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame…

To be honest, I’ve never bothered looking. I figured it’s in Cleveland, so it can’t be good…

Slowhand wrote:

[quote]Hentai wrote:

Kiss? ABBA? The Chantels?[/quote]

I could never take KISS seriously with their makeup, and there ain’t no way ABBA and The Chantels are rock & roll, ABBA being Europop and The Chantels being doo wop.

I retract what I said earlier though, I don’t know much about some of the bands, so I can’t judge. Genesis seems coo’. Guess what I should have said is:

ABBA, The Chantels, Jimmy Cliff, KISS, LL Cool J, Laura Nyro, RHCP, The Stooges, and Donna Summer don’t really have a place on the nominees list. They are all good performers in their own way, but some of them don’t play any subgenre of rock at all, let alone rock & roll.

Pretear, how’d you know I liked Oasis? They’ll never be rock & roll anyway, they’ll always be known for their Brit Pop. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hentai wrote:

You might have mentioned it a time or ten.

wouldn’t this hall of fame just be a publicity stunt?

Most likely. It’s embarassing, really.

Hentai wrote:

[quote]Slowhand wrote:

Kiss? ABBA? The Chantels?
I could never take KISS seriously with their makeup, and there ain’t no way ABBA and The Chantels are rock & roll, ABBA being Europop and The Chantels being doo wop.

I retract what I said earlier though, I don’t know much about some of the bands, so I can’t judge. Genesis seems coo’. Guess what I should have said is:

ABBA, The Chantels, Jimmy Cliff, KISS, LL Cool J, Laura Nyro, RHCP, The Stooges, and Donna Summer don’t really have a place on the nominees list. They are all good performers in their own way, but some of them don’t play any subgenre of rock at all, let alone rock & roll.[/quote]

I was mostly being sarcastic… Without some of those earlier bands, rock & roll wouldn’t exist. As far as the others go, they are the offshoots of rock & roll.

Slowhand wrote:

[quote]
I was mostly being sarcastic… Without some of those earlier bands, rock & roll wouldn’t exist. As far as the others go, they are the offshoots of rock & roll.[/quote]

Ah, okay. Those bands are definitely important in music history.

Also glad to see Chuck Berry one of the first to be inducted. He was, after all, the king of rock 'n roll.

[size=15]2011 Nominees for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame[/size]

The fifteen nominees being considered for induction in 2011 are:

Alice Cooper
The Beastie Boys
Bon Jovi
Chic
Neil Diamond
Donovan
Dr. John
J. Geils Band
LL Cool J
Darlene Love
Laura Nyro
Donna Summer
Joe Tex
Tom Waits
Chuck Willis

latimes.com

I’d go with Alice Cooper, The Beastie Boys, Bon Jovi, or Neil Diamond. The rest I either don’t recognize, or don’t think they had enough to do with rock to warrant mention.

I’d choose Alice Cooper, Donovan, Dr. John, Laura Nyro and Tom Waits.

Alice Cooper or Bon Jovi.

[size=15]Green Day, Nine Inch Nails, Smiths Nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame[/size]
Lou Reed, N.W.A and Sting are also in contention for the Class of 2015, with voting again open to fans
October 9, 2014

The nominations for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s Class of 2015 are in, and the list includes Green Day, Nine Inch Nails, N.W.A, the Smiths, Lou Reed and Sting. The rest of this year’s hopefuls are the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Kraftwerk, Chic, Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, the Marvelettes, the Spinners, Stevie Ray Vaughan, War and Bill Withers. The top vote-getters will be announced toward the end of the year and inducted on April 18th, 2015 at a ceremony in Cleveland, Ohio.

For the third consecutive year, the public gets to vote alongside the artists, historians and music industry insiders of the Rock Hall voting body. From now until December 9th, fans can vote on RollingStone.com for the nominees they’d like to see inducted (click here to vote). The top five acts will comprise a “fan’s ballot” that will count as one of the ballots that determine the Class of 2015.

In order to be eligible for this year’s ballot, artists or bands need to have released their first single or album in 1989 or earlier. Many of the nominees have appeared on previous ballots, but this is the first appearance for Green Day, Nine Inch Nails, the Smiths, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Bill Withers and Sting.

Green Day and Nine Inch Nails are the only acts to land on their ballot in their first years of eligibility. Green Day’s debut EP 1,000 Hours came out in April 1989, and Nine Inch Nails’ first album Pretty Hate Machine was released in October of 1989.

Lou Reed has already been inducted as a member of the Velvet Underground, and Sting previously entered the Hall of Fame as a member of the Police.

Last year’s Rock Hall class included Nirvana, Kiss, Peter Gabriel, Hall and Oates, Cat Stevens and Linda Ronstadt. The E Street Band received the Award for Musical Excellence and Beatles manager Brian Epstein and original Rolling Stones manager Andrew Loog Oldham earned the Ahmet Ertegun Award for non-performers.

The Rolling Stone

1 Like

[size=16]Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: Meet the 2015 class[/size]
7:54 AM EST, Tue December 16, 2014

Drumroll, please: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has announced its 2015 class of honored musicians.

Green Day; Bill Withers; Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble; Lou Reed; Joan Jett and the Blackhearts; and the Paul Butterfield Blues Band will all be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next spring.

Those six performers were selected from a list of 15 nominees, which also included acts like N.W.A., Nine Inch Nails, Sting, The Smiths and Chic.

The Beatles’ Ringo Starr will also be honored at the 2015 induction ceremony with the award for musical excellence, while R&B quintet The “5” Royales will be recognized for their early influence.

“As we mark 30 years of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions, we’re proud to honor these artists,” Rock and Roll Hall of Fame foundation president Joel Peresman said in a statement. “These Inductees epitomize rock and roll’s impact over the past 50 years and continuing through today.”

In order to be eligible for induction into the Rock Hall’s 2015 class, an act had to release its first recording in 1989 or earlier. That means Green Day, which dropped its EP “1,000 Hours” in April 1989, has the distinction of being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in the band’s first year of eligibility.

“The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has always held something for me because my heroes were in there,” Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong told Rolling Stone.

When he heard the news that the band’s being inducted, “I had to go for a walk,” Armstrong continued. “I wound up at this café and I sat down and my son met up with me. I told him and he was like, ‘Oh my God. No way.’ It just took some time to sink in. We’re in incredible company and I’m still trying to make sense of this. It’s just incredible.”

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony will be held in Cleveland on April 18, 2015. The event is open to the public, and tickets can be purchased for the 30th induction ceremony beginning at 10 a.m. ET on December 18.