Scroll Buttons on Online Player

Thanks for the hints.

My situation was the slide bars for the shows was not working on Ubuntu 9.0.4 Firefox 3.0.14 but was working on my Fedora (Firefox 3.5.3-1), which was annoying since the Ubuntu box is the only linux box I have that doesn’t have severe speed problems when playing.

I did nothing explicit with the cache to fix it - I went the route of
Edit/Preferences/Content/Enable Javascript/Advanced and enabled all the options there. I then killed Firefox and restarted it. The slide bars then worked on the Ubuntu box.

shadzar wrote:

[quote]

The scroller is vod.js and calls an ajax script for functions to run it, so if you have any of those blocked it will probably block the scroller from working.

I don’t want to get into to specific info on who to make sure you get it working because that would mean telling how it works and allow random people to circumvent the work done by TAN staff to make it work, but try making sure you allow javascript (not Java) to work, and make sure you haven’t blocked http://www.theanimenetwork.com/components/com_vods/js/vod.js since it is the specific script that runs the scroller with an addevent function call.

I will NOT suggest any other javascript viewing/editting/altering ideas to get it to work as that may corrupt your connection with TAN if you don’t know what you are doing or get you banned for hacking the code to make it to unwanted things. I do not condone use of script altering functions of a browser except to test for your own website scripts to find if they are working properly.

The code itself looks fine, but ads-blockers might catch it and that may be the settings that need changed or to allow javascript in general without having a copy of your firefox settings (minus saved profiles/passwords) to tell you what to set it as to get the OP to work.

EDIT:

The up/down uses a slightly different method and requires to allow the ajax javascript as well as

So if you allow that script, then all sliders should work, even though they are different scripts depending on which page you view.

Strange since both scripts code looks fine, that one would work and the other doesn’t.

Maybe people have a version form the old site stored and need to clear any cache/saved websites in order to get the newest slider and page from TAN to work with the new site? :unsure:[/quote]

Before clearing the cache I’d try a “forced refresh”. In Firefox ctrl-F5 will force FireFox to reload all elements of the page. I’m a bit surprised that the server didn’t flag the javascript for that page as expired. Something new for my todo list.

You’re right about vods.js (Watch-Online page) and vod.js (player page) being different. That has to do with the difference between vertical and horizontal scrolling. The offset calculations for horizontal scrolling use left and right margin values rather than top and bottom for the vertical scrolling.

The ajax call you’re seeing in the file isn’t related to scrolling at all. It’s tied to the unload event.

Good troubleshooting, Shadzar and everyone else who participated.

Excuse me for jumping in here.

akpoff, don’t you agree that the members shouldn’t have to do all this troubleshooting? If I were having this problem, there’s no way I would even attempt to try any of this stuff. I’m a complete idiot when it comes to computers (my hubby is the expert).

Will there be a ‘fix’ for this for everyone down the road?

Slowhand wrote:

[quote]Excuse me for jumping in here.

akpoff, don’t you agree that the members shouldn’t have to do all this troubleshooting? If I were having this problem, there’s no way I would even attempt to try any of this stuff. I’m a complete idiot when it comes to computers (my hubby is the expert).

Will there be a ‘fix’ for this for everyone down the road?[/quote]

For those of us with the knowledge to troubleshoot and being impatient, like me and some others in this thread, we couldn’t wait.

I think CrispyCritter has validated what the actual resolution to the problem is on the browser side of things for FireFox due to the new coding.

I will note that the side scrolls do have a problem with Shows containing 20+ episodes as another member mentioned the scrolling is a click fest as it it doesn’t scroll exactly to the next episode as it does when there is less than 20 episodes.

Also This may need to be a new thread but 2 other issues I’ve noticed while using the online player

1. Previously view check is on episodes I haven’t watched and aren’t marking ones I have watched.
  2. The episodes used to have a brief description in the upper left and told you what episode you were on. This option does not appear any more and only gives the synopsis to the show still. Of course this may be the reason you went with marking what you watched before … although that won’t be helpful when watching the episodes again…

Slowhand wrote:

[quote]Excuse me for jumping in here.

Will there be a ‘fix’ for this for everyone down the road?[/quote]

:frowning: Sadly even if the javascript or page was set to expire, or have set for “no cache” so your browser is forced to get the newest version of a page/script/css/etc; browsers now are trying to automate everything to cause less server load, so have ways around even “no cache”, and the browser will not do a forced refresh of the page elements even when told to by the server.

So the problem is with client software (browsers) trying to help users too much that they forget, that storing pages isn’t always helpful on a site that gets frequent updates.

I don’t know many websites these days that can/should be cache locally, but there are probably a few like archive sites. Otherwise a user is suggest to disable caching/storing of web pages locally with the way browsers run these days in order to prevent hitting this speed bump.

It is something OS and browser manufactures need to address.

The only real way he could make sure there is no conflict with older stored versions, is to use a new name that hasn’t been used before on this site for files, and that is an IT nightmare because the point of a CMS is to point to a “news.xxx” files and let the CMS pull up that file, and you just need to change the news file when you have new news and the software handles putting it in the right area and such.

Again, one of the major reason I hate suggesting to clear cookies, or cache, but since IE5+ and Mozilla2+ there has been problems related to cookies and stored versions of pages, that need to be addressed that even web2.0 won’t fix because the browser is not responding correctly.

I would suggest “clear all private data” for firefox, and make sure it clears it when it closes for stored webpages etc, and make sure windows empties the temp file folder when it closes to help prevent things like this.

Otherwise, as he said a CTRL+F5 (forced page refresh) should take care of the problem in most instances and force the browser to go to the website and make sure it has the latest version of the page to display to the user. B)

Maybe someone could sticky a news item and thread in the forum to remain stationary to help people with problems viewing things, and include some standard reasons/fixes for such problems in an FAQ manner. (granted not everoyne reads a sticky ot FAQ, but those who do will at least be able to hit CTRL+F5 on each page to try that as the least techincal fix for the problem at hand) :slight_smile: