Scroll Buttons on Online Player

Is anyone else having the issue with the scroll buttons not doing anything? I see the first five shows of a series, click the next arrow, and it does nothing. This is for all shows.

Edit: I just check something. Internet Explorer I can scroll with, it is firefox that I can’t. My firefox version is the most current one.

I’m not trying to be a smart-ass here, but you are using the Right Scroll bar button, right?

I was trying to use the Left one for awhile, and that didn’t work out so well… :S

Yes, I am pushing the right one. Nothing moves to the right. Works on Internet Explorer but not Firefox.

They are working on my firefox 3.5.3 fine.

Odd, it is telling me it is just a .gif icon. I have 3.5.3 as well.

Edit: To be clear, it is not the buttons scrolling through the shows, it is the one when you chose a show and want to scroll through the episodes. Scroll right is just showing up as a .gif and takes no action. I am now playing with security features, but I never had this issue before.

Edit2: Well, telling firefox to allow this site to do what it wants finally got it working. The default security was blocking the scroll right button for some reason. Weird.

probably a javascript error in the newest firefox. Has always scrolled correctly for me using 3.0.14

Glad you got it working red, I would exert what little energy I have left to read the script and find the error for TAN to fix if anyone else had problems.

redshirt1 wrote:

[quote]Odd, it is telling me it is just a .gif icon. I have 3.5.3 as well.

Edit: To be clear, it is not the buttons scrolling through the shows, it is the one when you chose a show and want to scroll through the episodes. Scroll right is just showing up as a .gif and takes no action. I am now playing with security features, but I never had this issue before.

Edit2: Well, telling firefox to allow this site to do what it wants finally got it working. The default security was blocking the scroll right button for some reason. Weird.[/quote]

That’s weird. We do a lot of testing with FF 3.5x and I don’t recall ever seeing that. Up until you said it was FF I was sure you were using IE. :wink:

akpoff wrote:

Hey! I resemble that remark! :stuck_out_tongue:

I am too have the same issue with Firefoz 3.5.3.

Just wanted to report that you are not the only one having that same issue.
The episode scroll was working prior to the website update. FYI

I will adjust the settings to allow this site and see if that works for me as well.

B)

gamerman76 wrote:

[quote]I am too have the same issue with Firefoz 3.5.3.

Just wanted to report that you are not the only one having that same issue.
The episode scroll was working prior to the website update. FYI

I will adjust the settings to allow this site and see if that works for me as well.

B)[/quote]

Let us know the outcome please. :slight_smile:

I’m on the newest Firefox also, and the button slider isn’t working.

I must not be finding the right setting then, because I added to allow on all exceptions and still no go on the episodes scroll options.

Any suggestions, besides IE if possible?

Edit 1: Is the episode scroll bar using java script or flash? Also is the up/down scroll bars different then the episode scroll bars as those do work properly.

I have different problem with the episode scroll bar buttons. When I click on the right scroll bar button it works but it scrolls very very slowly and it takes a dozen clicks to get to a episode i want to watch. The problem is very sporadic too, it depends on what anime show I am in. I am using the latest firefox 3.5.3 for the mac.

I’ve sent a note to the tech about the scroll bar.

gamerman76 wrote:

[quote]I must not be finding the right setting then, because I added to allow on all exceptions and still no go on the episodes scroll options.

Any suggestions, besides IE if possible?

Edit 1: Is the episode scroll bar using java script or flash? Also is the up/down scroll bars different then the episode scroll bars as those do work properly.[/quote]

The scroll buttons and division use javascript. The player is flash.

You can have a spare copy of firefox on your computer or even a USB device for backup things like this.

http://www.portableapps.com

I use it, with firefox 3.0.14 on a memory stick with flash added as a plugin so I never have to install flash on my computer, and can carry firefox with me to always watch things in flash.

This will allow you to watch the OP and still use firefox without changing settings in your current copy of firefox.

You will only be able to have one of the firefox open at a time though, that is the only bad part about it having to open one or the other if you don’t have a USB with enough memory for all your other add-ons.

That would be my only suggestion for getting it to work without using IE.

IF you need any help getting flash on your portable firefox, then I will tell you how to put it on the USB so portable firefox can use it.

The scroller is vod.js and calls an ajax script for functions to run it, so if you have any of those blocked it will probably block the scroller from working.

I don’t want to get into to specific info on who to make sure you get it working because that would mean telling how it works and allow random people to circumvent the work done by TAN staff to make it work, but try making sure you allow javascript (not Java) to work, and make sure you haven’t blocked http://www.theanimenetwork.com/components/com_vods/js/vod.js since it is the specific script that runs the scroller with an addevent function call.

I will NOT suggest any other javascript viewing/editting/altering ideas to get it to work as that may corrupt your connection with TAN if you don’t know what you are doing or get you banned for hacking the code to make it to unwanted things. I do not condone use of script altering functions of a browser except to test for your own website scripts to find if they are working properly.

The code itself looks fine, but ads-blockers might catch it and that may be the settings that need changed or to allow javascript in general without having a copy of your firefox settings (minus saved profiles/passwords) to tell you what to set it as to get the OP to work.

EDIT:

The up/down uses a slightly different method and requires to allow the ajax javascript as well as

So if you allow that script, then all sliders should work, even though they are different scripts depending on which page you view.

Strange since both scripts code looks fine, that one would work and the other doesn’t.

Maybe people have a version form the old site stored and need to clear any cache/saved websites in order to get the newest slider and page from TAN to work with the new site? :unsure:

[size=4]Clearing the Cache in Firefox did the trick.[/size]

The slider is working fine.

Good thinking shad. :wink:

dragoon wrote:

[quote][size=4]Clearing the Cache in Firefox did the trick.[/size]

The slider is working fine.

Good thinking shad. ;)[/quote]

:side: Its what I used to get paid for. :woohoo: Glad it was able to help with the 7 hours left of free for all on the OP.

Great information shadzar… after reading that information here is the steps I took to resolve the issue

1. Tools-options-privacy-remove individual cookies: deleted all cookies related to theanimenetwork
  2. Closed out of Firefox and then opened it back up. Same issue occured.
  3. Tools-options-content, Next to javascript I hit the advanced button. I put a check in to allow all options for javascript.
  4. Closed out of Firefox and now it works.

The reason I included the other steps is that it may require those steps in order for it to work properly.

Last night I had previously ensured that my Java was up to date and it was and that Flash was up to date which I upgraded to the latest version Flash 10.

I had a feeling that it had to be javascript due to viewing the source and reading through the code but wasn’t sure why the up/down for selecting the series versus the episode left/right scrolls would work differently, but thanks to your post and reading the code there is a slight difference but I’m still a novice at code. Which that lead me to looking for any settings I may have missed with java and allowing all script.

Java would have “applet” code, and a website with java will have the coffe cup logo in the space where the Java is not working. So if you ever look at the code of a page and see the word “applet” or “object type=applet” something like that, then it is Java from SunMicrosystem, otherwise it will have links to .java files. any file that is “.js” is customarily javascript. (Unless like me you can write a php script, get your server to recognize an extension change and name the file .jpg and still return a JPG image form the php script to not let your client application know what they are getting returned to them. :wink: )

Java is like flash, and you don’t need it for 90% of the web, I don’t even have it installed in firefox, or maybe I have it disabled.

I really hate suggesting people to clear their cache, or cookies, because this is the lazy fix, but most browsers these days try to store whole webpages for quicker viewing the next time you visit which means they no longer go grab the latest version of the page stored on the server, and sadly that is the only way to fix it is by clearing the cache because many websites do not force the browser to clear existing pages and load a new one, and browsers no longer have the option in many to force a complete reload of the page to retrieve the current version from the server during the HTTP request. :angry:

Glad it is working. Any code in the previous message that needs to be removed for security reasons for TAN, please feel free to do so, otherwise I will leave intact what is there in case someone might need it to get the switch over to the new site fixed from stored copies of pages and the old sites javascripts.

Clearing the cache used to be a standard part of teching although I don’t do it nearly as often now; I don’t think it is as much an issue with newer versions of Internet Explorer, but by default it used to reserve a percentage of diskspace for the cache which, with disks getting larger, often meant something ridiculous like a 2GB cache. Searching though all that to check for a local copy was often slower than just loading the page anyway… even clearing the thing took forever.