Sentai Wishlist!

Ahh…those were the days. When u can watch anime on stations like Showtime, Encore, HBO, etc.

[quote=dragoon]
Well the problem is what Sentai’s getting is probably too risky to dub as they are niche and play to the otaku base that finds subtitles fine, in that sense those should remain sub-only in my view. The trick will be to find and afford a title without getting into too much of a bid war that adds value and accessibility via a dub. Matt Greenfield has stated recently they are working on 2 dubs for Sentai releases, but it remains to be seen if those will come out or will be released. There’s a lot of factors going on.[/quote]

2 dubs? Let the guessing game begin!!!

My two pennies:
K-ON
Asu No Yoichi!

K-On would be interesting, but even with their recent partnership with TBS… who knows. K-On was the biggest title of 2009 in terms of hype and press coverage, so landing that would be huge in terms of prestige. But who knows. If they got it and dubbed it though, it would be amazing. PP and I have long been pushing for it since the spring, as have many other fans. :wink:

Asu no Yoichi, pfft never heard of it, that says something. :stuck_out_tongue: If I saw it in passing I don’t remember. Did it do well on the DVD or ratings charts?

My main fear with dubbing anything now a days is the fact most companies are going cheap and fast or Assembly line style. So I fear we may not get the former ADV Quality out of any future dubs for the new companies.

Yeah, the era of expensive dubs is definitely gone, unless it’s a marquee title or with a TV deal. Everyone’s still trying to weather the economic and retail storm. :frowning:

Back on the rescues subject just remembered one that needs it and probably sell because of the fact the old releases were always quite expensive for the episode count.
FLCL

[quote=psychopuppet]
Back on the rescues subject just remembered one that needs it and probably sell because of the fact the old releases were always quite expensive for the episode count.
FLCL[/quote]

I know one person who would buy that.
He was just telling me a few months ago that he really wished he could find a copy of it that wasn’t an arm and leg.

Yeah a lot of people of visibility in the press and blogosphere, and fans have been clamoring for FLCL - it really is hard find for a fair price. Most people believe it’s a licensing issue due to what happened with Broccoli or very expensive. Doesn’t help that there are a great deal number of challenges associated with this title in particular.

I would not be surprised if it’s already snapped up given the overtures made in recent months about it by another company.

It’s a high profile title that I’m sure any R1 would like to have.

I have no idea what your referring to by this lol.

FLCL is my all time favorite anime. I love that show to death, probally watched it more times then I can count. That’s one show that should never have been alowed to go OOP. it’s an amazing series. I do hope someone picks it up. That being said I own it already of course. Bought it was the DVDs were coming out. Not sure I’d double dip though lol. But it should be avaible for those who want it.

I’d like the following:
Gintama(screw a dub)
Anything that isn’t new

[quote=Prede]

I do know what he’s referring to, and I have a pretty good feeling that FLCL will be announced within the next few months, possibly sooner.

I’ve also been sharing some of the same concerns regarding Dubs. I’ve definitely noticed a decline in dub quality since the switchover to box sets. When ADV or Funimation were working with singles, they had a lot more time to work on their dubs. They only needed to have a few episodes produced and ready at a time, so could take their time and make sure everything was of top quality. The VA’s had time to grow into their roles, and really get into their characters. With the rush to put out 12 or 13 episodes at a time, a lot of that is lost. And it has been showing in some of Funi’s recent dubs. I’m afraid the same thing could happen with ADV’s, especially considering they have been a bit out of practice.

Of course, if and when Sentai announces their new dubs, there is no guarantee they will be box sets. They could return to singles, like Media Blasters has been doing with their dubbed series. Though I think considering their current trend of doing box sets, it would be best to stick to that. I know I’m in the minority on this, but I would gladly take singles, if it meant getting some quality ADV/Seraphim dubs back. :wink:

Also, in regards to buying the newer releases of a title as opposed to the bargain version, remember that by the time that title has popped up in Right Stuf’s bin, it has usually been marked down by the distributor. A lot of times, these have been completely written off, and are often acquired through third party warehousers, like Ditan. Buying the $25 Geneon version of Vandread, as opposed to the newer Funimation version, or buying the older version of Mahoromatic as opposed to Sentais, really does no good. Those have mostly been written off at a total loss, and the company is unlikely to see even incremental revenue from them. And like I’ve mentioned, and Dragoon brought up, buying a newer version helps ensure that the money you’re spending will go towards acquiring new licenses. Geneon will only be around until their current licenses expire, so buying their OOP edition does no one any good.

Truthfully I hope they license more titles that were on Crunchyroll. There’s a lot of fun shows on there that probably won’t picked up for a dvd release by other companies. I’d love to have shows like Saki, Hyakko, Sketchbook Full Colors, etc. on dvd.

Also it would be nice to get Koi Koi 7 on dvd as well.

Hello everyone. The following is the license list that I created in late 2008 of titles I hope and that I predict that ADV/Section23 would license. Before ADV became Section23, I had about 10 licenses listed. Now as of October 2009 with the exception of the newly added "Asu No Yoichi there’s about 18 licenses listed.

Here’s a list of what my list used to look like until last October:

Clannad After Story
Sumomomomo Momomo
Kamen No Maid Guy
Tonagura
Akihori Gendou Hour Rabuge
Zettai Karen Children
Kemeko DX
Hyakko
Zettei Shougeki
G-On Riders
YUA: Full Throttle
To Love RU

Here’s the Ocotber updated list including the titles I predicted accurately:

Ride Back (Clannad After Story removed with a line drawn under it.)
Sumomomomo Momomo
Kamen No Maid Guy
Tonagura
Zettai Karen Children
Kemeko DX
Hyakko
Zettai Shougeki(Just "X"d out and replaced with Lovedol~Lovely Idol. This is the only one I missed)
G-On Riders
Kanamemo(YUA 3 was just removed.)
Akikan(To Love Ru also eliminated)
White Album
Taishou Yakyuu Musume( loli baseball anime from last summer.)
Cool Couple( From TBS’s Wonderful in 1999)
Let’s Nupu Nupu (Another Wonderful title)
Mariaholic(added and then quickly removed.)
REC
Asu No Yoichi(Just added)

Looking to add later: Kampfer. School Days. Umineko no Naku Koro ni, Big Windup 2 and likely more CPM license rescues.

The top 6 big fish(license most likely to be dubbed.):

Sumomomomo Momomo
Kamen No Maid Guy
Tonagura
Zettai Karen Children (It’s not out of the question that with a large investor, SX23 will be able to dub)
Kemeko DX

Total accurately predicted so far: 3.

total missed: 1.

Cool TT. Thanks for checking out the PM and getting back to me on it, was interested on what your list was. :slight_smile:

[quote=dragoon]
Cool TT. Thanks for checking out the PM and getting back to me on it, was interested on what your list was. :)[/quote]

You’re welcome!:slight_smile:

With Sentai releasing more mouth-watering, juicy sh…tuff, I began wondering what else I’d like to add to my delictable cornucopia of yummyness. Since they’re releasing Appleseed on BD, I though why not get more Shirow Masamune works.

So I went online and searched for more of his work. All of his movies are already licensed and have in my collection. Same goes for some of the OVAs, though some seem to have expired. So Sentai can go after those I suppose, but I doubt that, seeing most of them are pretty old.

No, the one that realy peaks my interest is a 2008 tv series which he collaborated again with Production I.G. titled “Real Drive”.

From ANN:

[quote]Genres: drama, mystery, science fiction
Themes: cyberpunk, diving, environment
Plot Summary: The Real Drive is a “neo-futuristic science-fiction suspense” story set in A.D. 2061, when a new, more secure information network called the Material Network (or “Metal”) has taken over human society. However, aberrations begin to crop up as individuals chafe against the rigid system, and so-called “cyber divers” are dispatched to investigate these incidents. The main cast consists; the cyber driver Mari, an “intuitive girl” named Minamo, the team’s head Eiichiro, the combat expert Sota, and the android Horon.[/quote]

This sounds like a keeper. Now if Sentai does decide to get this, then they’ll have their own little Shirow Masamune trilogy, for anyone who has read his mangas or seen his anime know that they all have a sorta-quasi interconnectiveness/continuity with each other.

Sentai/TAN trilogy would thus be:

1. Ghost Hound
  2. Real Drive
  3. Appleseed

P.S. GITS would fall between 1 and 2 in the quasi continuity.

Bringing back this older topic mainly for two reasons:

1. Sentai, or others, has since licensed some of what has been wished for
  2. I want to add my wishlist to the topic!

So let’s get to mine:
Ring ni Kakero 1 (Yeah, it’s almost a pipe dream at this point, even with it getting a third season airing on PPV now… But I just can’t give up hope!)
Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo (Considering how we got all of the Getter Robo animes since Armageddon except this 4-episode OVA, I just still want this to be brought over)
Souten no Ken/Fist of the Blue Sky (Considering how well Legends of the Dark King apparently has done I do hope that Sentai can also bring over this prequel to Fist of the North Star… I also prefer this story to North Star’s in general)
GaoGaiGar FINAL (This is only if Media Blasters will never ever bring this excellent OVA over; Sentai licensing more You’re Under Arrest and Hell Girl just shows that they’re willing to continue where other companies left off at)
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas (Even if Sentai never finishes what ADV was able to start when it comes to the original Saint Seiya, they should definitely go for The Lost Canvas, as it’s a great alternate-world prequel as well as starting point for newbies; also, Sentai could try out sub-only on Blu-ray with this anime)
Kamen no Maid Guy (If any show screams “ADV would have licensed this!”, it’s this one)
Akagi, Kaiji, and/or One Outs (What I call “Madhouse’s Gambling Trilogy”, all three of these shows are just excellent psychological shows that use mahjong, interesting risk-vs-reward games, and baseball, respectively, in excellent ways; they are definitely my ‘dark hores’ of my Most Wanted List, but they are all excellent shows in general)

I never got around to posting my wish list. Looking back there was one person who Gin Tama on wish list (That I saw) and he was right. That is why I like Sentai it’s unpredictable. I am going to agree on Robo, GaoGaiGar, any more Saint Saiya. Others but will never happen:
Ga-Rei-Zero (This would be nice but I like someone to bring over manga too like Blue Drop needs to be)
Galaxy Railways 2, Big Windup Season 2 (eventually), Moonlight Mile Second Half/Second 2: These seemingly never be done funimation as they mentioned already passed on season 2 of BW. Pipe dream too.
Kampfer
Roaario+Vampire (never happen but I don’t think anyone would have thought Gin Tama or Eyeshield 21 or Hell Girl Season 2 either)
Then there are other stuff that involves Geneon and Lupin that will most likely never happen and not bother to mention if Funimation.
Izumo and Koi Koi 7: Two series I liked that were on Anime Network only. Wish they would get released on dvd.

HIGH SCHOOL OF THE DEAD

Get it. Simulcast it. Release it on DVD. I will buy three copies just to say thank you! :slight_smile:

[quote=dragonrider_cody]
HIGH SCHOOL OF THE DEAD

Get it. Simulcast it. Release it on DVD. I will buy three copies just to say thank you! :)[/quote]

word!!!

yoka