Sentai Wishlist!

Right in time for the holidays. What anime series would you like to see Sentai Filmworks/Section 23/new ADV license? I’m not here to beg Rai — I’m just curious what titles everyone would like to see Sentai acquire.

As far as TBS titles go, I’d like to see Kuroshitsugi and the upcoming Kaichou wa Maid-sama! anime released here on DVD. I’d also like to see Chobits licensed again. Other titles I wouldn’t mind seeing from Sentai include:

Bakemonogatari
Futakoi (just so Futakoi Alternative could get licensed)
Hyakko
Kamisama Kazoku
Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei
School Days

[size=16]K-On
Taisho Yakyu Musume[/size]
Bakemonogatari
Kaleido Star Legend of the Phoenix
Pandora Hearts
Saki
Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei (if no one has it still)
Kampfer
Nyan Koi
Scientific Railgun
Book of Bantorra
Kobato
Shin Mazinger (yes I know it won’t sell :P)
Kimi ni Todoke (personally, but I bet it’ll sell like crap, so eh…)
More mainstream, manly/guy stuff, and crap that casual people buy (even if it’s crap :P)

There are a number I would like to see get licensed.

Dirty Pair TV
Fight Ippatsu! Juuden chan!!
Hell Girl season 2+
Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari
Kampher
Kanokon
Kiddy Girl-and
K-On!
Macross Frontier
Macross Zero
Mahoromatic: Tadaima Okaeri
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (2009)
Nagasarete Airantou
Needless
Nyan Koi
Ride Back
Rosario to Vampire
Rosario to Vampire Capu2
Sasameki Koto
Seitokai no Ichizon
Shion no Ou
Today in Class 5-2 TV and OAV
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Toradora!

That was longer then I thought. Well guess I better wish for a bigger budget and new shelfs to. LOL

Should I say it? Oh what the heck

I wish they could get back on their feet and start dubbing again, my main choice for shows to do this with are A Certain Magical Index and it’s prequel/spin-off A Certain Scientific Railgun

What I want, let me just go to Mania real quick and grab my top 10 list, I don’t care who grabs them but these are what I want

1.Mahoraba (4631)
2.Natsume Yuujinchou(9419)
3.Hell Teacher Nube(1087)
4.Basquash!(10545)
5.Manabi Straight(6789)
6.Kenko Zenraki Suiebu Umisho(7802)
7.Rose of Versailles(451)
8.Chouja Reideen(1278)
9.Android Ana Maico(1053)
10.Zombie Loan(7825)

I will go find buy a ticket, fly down to Texas and kiss Matt Greenfield if they licenses, Hell Teacher Nube, Rose of Versailles, Android Ana Maico 2010 or Chouja Reideen.

K-ON
Kampfer
Nyan Koi
Kimi ni Todoke
The Scacred Blacksmith
Asu No Yoichi! aka Samurai Harem
Mahoromatic: Tadaima Okaeri
to LOVE ru OVA’s

[quote=dragoon]

That’s pretty much it, right there.

Other than that, I don’t know much about anything else that’s been newly aired as I don’t pay attention to that stuff usually.

[quote=dragoon]
K-On
Taisho Yakyu Musume
Bakemonogatari
Kaleido Star Legend of the Phoenix
Pandora Hearts
Saki
Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei (if no one has it still)
Kampfer
Nyan Koi
Scientific Railgun
Book of Bantorra
Kobato
Shin Mazinger (yes I know it won’t sell :P)
Kimi ni Todoke (personally, but I bet it’ll sell like crap, so eh…)
More mainstream, manly/guy stuff, and crap that casual people buy (even if it’s crap :P)[/quote]

Not much I can think to add other then…
Rest of Saint Seiya (least finish the arc) , Legend of the Galactic Heroes , Galaxy Express 999 , and Captain Harlock.

I agree with a lot of what has been already listed, including, K-ON!, Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei, Bakemonogatari, School Days, Mahoromatic: Tadaima Okaeri. I would also like to throw in Ef A Tale of Memories.

I also wouldn’t mind seeing some more license rescues, like Chobits, Ai Yori Aoshi, Please Teacher, not to mention some of the older ADV series that may or may not have expired yet, like Martian Successor Nadesico.

My expectations on rescues has sunk like a rock thrown into deep lake. That’s all I’ll say on that. :frowning:

Yeah, I’m not really expecting any of them either. A lot of the shows I would like to see rescued are either too expensive, someone else has already grabbed, or they wouldn’t sell well enough to warrant it. And besides, I’d rather have one or two new shows, than several that I’ve already bought. :slight_smile:

[quote=dragonrider_cody]
Yeah, I’m not really expecting any of them either. A lot of the shows I would like to see rescued are either too expensive, someone else has already grabbed, or they wouldn’t sell well enough to warrant it. And besides, I’d rather have one or two new shows, than several that I’ve already bought. :)[/quote]

That may be true for you, Cody, but think of those of us who haven’t bought those shows yet. By not rescuing thoses shows, it will make obtaining a good, well-rounded library of anime that much harder.

True, but with a lot of these shows, Sentai not only has to compete with new shows, but the same show selling at $20 in the bargain bin at Right Stuf. If you are given the choice of buying the Sentai version of one show for $40, or the Geneon version for $20, most people are going to go for the cheaper version. Some of their license rescues, such as Mahoromatic and Now and Then, Here and There worked because the originals had been out of print long enough for copies to dry up on online (Though NTHT was an ADV/CPM show, not technically Sentai.)

More samurai stuff, like Peacemaker, Samurai Gun, Samurai X, etc.
Robots can’t hurt aither, chicks with guns are nice too.:kiss:

I would not mind seeing another Nadesico released here . I also believe ADV got a TV version of the show so it would be great if they could get the home video version this time. Though I’d not expect it to sell well enough to make a profit. There is a few shows from Geneon that could make a profit ,but all of the ones I can think of are old titles , probably still demand a decent price , or the Japanese have released remasters of that they may not come off of and with out those some of these shows may not sell to the people they need to be aimed at.

Really I’d like to see the rest of Queen Emeraldas OVA get licensed as ADV only had 2 episodes.

[quote=dragonrider_cody]
True, but with a lot of these shows, Sentai not only has to compete with new shows, but the same show selling at $20 in the bargain bin at Right Stuf. If you are given the choice of buying the Sentai version of one show for $40, or the Geneon version for $20, most people are going to go for the cheaper version. Some of their license rescues, such as Mahoromatic and Now and Then, Here and There worked because the originals had been out of print long enough for copies to dry up on online (Though NTHT was an ADV/CPM show, not technically Sentai.)[/quote]

Actually, that was what I was thinking of, Cody, so if that’s what you meant, then I guess we agree! :slight_smile:

[quote=Newshawk]
That may be true for you, Cody, but think of those of us who haven’t bought those shows yet. By not rescuing thoses shows, it will make obtaining a good, well-rounded library of anime that much harder.[/quote]

Yeah it’s pretty much as Cody says. Sadly a lot of the people who are spending a lot of money and in control of the market right now are the otakus and niche market that Sentai is catering to - where they want new, new, new and the latest current-trend-centric shows from Japan. Anytime there’s a rescue they complain (since they bought it before). Then when Sentai release it on DVD and Anime Network shows it, as Cody said above some grab the cheaper versions still floating around… so that kind of diminishes the value and return of rescues, sadly.

There are 3-4 titles I’d really like to see them rescue but I’ll keep that private to them. Bidding wars still exist. :wink: But at this point I have a feeling rescues and old shows are very low on their radar unless it’s a marquee title or they get a great deal for it.

[quote=dragoon]
Then when Sentai release it on DVD and Anime Network shows it, as Cody said above some grab the cheaper versions still floating around… so that kind of diminishes the value and return of rescues, sadly.[/quote]

I got chided for this.

Though really, I see no difference in buying a cheaper Geneon set over a Sentai set vs. buying a cheaper ADV set over a Funimation set (which is what most people around here push for).

Yes, it’s profit for one company over another, but in the end, is it really worth being hypocritical about?

Well what I said was the reality of the situation as far as rescues about diminishing value - Sentai has a short term strategy with these, due to lack of big mainstream properties - other companies have big ones and their rescues are not as impactful to them where decisions are made short term. AN and the companies involved look at the data of both ratings and what people buy via here, RSI, etc. So if people reward it via that they will get more rescues, if not, as shown in the last few months they’ll focus more on new stuff (especially when you consider months minus the announcement time frame, it’s been a long while since they did).

I personally want to see more rescues and dubs on Anime Network.

From a general and casual consumer perspective you’re right in that it’s just another title and money for one vs another.

psychopuppet and Cody push for either package, video quality or support for what the money symbolizes. Me as well to various degrees.

But there is a difference - Context and vital necessity. :wink: This is the Anime Network forums - which means most of the people saw a show via Anime Network or want to see a Sentai and Anime Network revival of more shows, more rescues and the restarting of dubs by supporting the shows they spent a lot on. So when they look at the context… their decisions of the last 4-5 months are markedly different from those previously - they don’t have a choice but to respond quickly to what the sales dictate to them, for good and bad.

There’s also the future. Money going to Geneon now as Cody has pointed out a lot lately is almost fruitless given as their head of marketing said they are just there until their remaining licenses expire. Every cent that goes into Sentai and Anime Network has very strong implications for near term and long term as well as decisions they make on what to pick up - this has always been the main thing I pushed for.

Ultimately it’s up to the buyer to make that choice, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t or can’t push for the pros of supporting the ADV past or current Sentai and Anime Network shows. :slight_smile:

But my point is as what Cody was answering to Newshawk about, rescues are devalued properties and not as attractive for businesses for a variety of reasons, unless B&M is where they see getting most of the sales from or if it’s not available online readily.

To be honest Funimation grabbing Vandread was great for me, I could finally get the show for under $100, so rescues do help the initial release if it is still in print, however some things aren’t in print, I would love to see Sentai grab Cyber Formula GPX as a rescue, and some of ADV’s old shows getting rescued(Fire Emblem, Queen Emeraldas, which I remember watching years ago on Encore Action)

I like Sentai’s strategy except the lack of dubs, so does that make me a hardcore otaku.

Well the problem is what Sentai’s getting is probably too risky to dub as they are niche and play to the otaku base that finds subtitles fine, in that sense those should remain sub-only in my view. The trick will be to find and afford a title without getting into too much of a bid war that adds value and accessibility via a dub. Matt Greenfield (but also several VAs and production staff) has (have) stated recently they are working on 2 dubs for Sentai releases, but it remains to be seen if those will come out or will be released. There’s a lot of factors going on.