Shigofumi ~ Letters from the Departed

Shigofumi ~ Letters from the Departed

Watch on HIDIVE

Genres: drama, psychological, supernatural, thriller
Themes: girls with guns, letters, life after death, magical girl, multiple personality, suicide, tragedy
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: Fumika and Kanaka are mail carriers- but not the typical kind. For one, Kanaka is a talking staff and for two, Fumika delivers shigofumi: letters from the dead addressed to the living. These letters are a final, true, communication derived from hate, hope, and love. The story unfolds following this pair and their uncommon job as well as Fumika’s unique ‘situation’.
Number of episodes: 12
Vintage: 2008-01-05 to 2008-03-22

ANN Info Page

Oo, la, la. An Ali Project opening. Very remeniscent of Kaibutso Ojo.

Nice. :cheer:

Yes, the opening is pretty awesome. I can’t wait for this one!

Been waiting for this since Bandai Visual USA originally announced it two years ago. Wish Sentai could get some of the shows Bandai Visual USA released at those insane prices and release them in cheap sets so more people could see them. I think Bandai Visual USA has two more titles they had announced ,but never released or only released part of so maybe Sentai can get one of those. Though only one of them seems to be worth licensing.

Preliminary Cover Art has been posted over at Mania.

So what do you guys think? Personally, I like it, though I’m not quite sold on the border yet. I also wished the font were a little different, but it’s acceptable as is. I will hold out final judgment until a 3D image is posted.

I think this works well. It’s a very simple and classy cover. I think the black border helps in reinforcing the postage stamp motif found thoughout the cover, after all she is a mail carrier…of

THE DEAD!!!

And the added splashes of blood gives it a nice contrast while also giving a hint that there’s more to our protaganist than meets the eye.

I like the cover ,but the border like Tytania DVD Collection 1 really makes this look like something on a artbox or slipcover. I’d liked to have seen the cover done side ways and the picture more extended to look more like a letter. Basically the same set up just sideways like Bandai did with Kannagi.

Per PR

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SECTION23 FILMS ANNOUNCES SHIGOFUMI

HOUSTON, August 17th, 2010 - Section23 Films is pleased to announce the release of the hit series SHIGOFUMI. The complete collection is on sale today wherever fine DVDs are sold.

Title: SHIGOFUMI COMPLETE COLLECTION
Running Time: 325 min.
Age Rating: TV 14
Language: Japanese with English Subtitles
CAT: SF-SGF100
UPC: 814131013217
Published by: Sentai Filmworks
Distributed by: Section23 Films
Street Date: 8/17/2010
Format: DVD
SRP: $49.98

If you could send someone a letter after you die…
What would you write?
And who would you send it to?

SYNOPSIS: Are some secrets best kept with the dead? For most Shigofumi Mail Carriers, charged with delivering messages from the recently departed to those left behind, the question is purely rhetorical as most Carriers are dead themselves and past the point of caring about the still breathing. The solemn girl known as Fumika, however, is all too aware of the mortal perspective, for she is still aging: an indicator that she is somehow, mysteriously, still alive. Yet, neither Fumika’s own personal tragedy nor the knowledge that her mail may be a mixed blessing at best will stay her grim determination to make her morbid rounds. Though the postal scales of fate may be eternally shifted, Fumika will make sure each posthumous posting from the ultimate dead letter office reaches its intended target, even when there’s deadly postage due! Neither rain nor sleet nor even death will stop the messages from beyond from coming in SHIGOFUMI - THE COMPLETE COLLECTION!

About Section23 Films
Section23 Films provides home video marketing and distribution services for a variety of companies, including Sentai Filmworks, Switchblade Pictures, Maiden Japan and AEsir Holdings. With its special focus on genre entertainment, Section23 Films distributes some of the very best anime, martial arts, and horror titles on the market today.

I just started this show and I have to say that I really enjoy it so far. It reminds me a bit of Hell Girl, in that it’s more episodic in format and deals with some dark and supernatural themes. The first episode even deals with rage and revenge. It has a nice twist at the end BTW.

I’m going to try to finish this one up soon. It has been a while since a show sucked me in like Shigofumi.

This was/is such a weird little show…and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
It also reminded me of Hell Girl, but also Kino’s Journey, and a dash of Toradora - all fave shows I have to say.

And you know the saying “Don’t judge a book by it’s cover”? Well in this case, I will say “Don’t judge a show by its first/second episodes.”

Just watched the fist episode, and am speechless, like being blindsided by a truck

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :blink:

Yes, I cant… it was… the thing is… like i said speechless

Dang! I suppose I’ll have to go and watch it now. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes thats a good idea

yeah, that is a pretty good first episode.

and for only 30 bucks i might buy this one…

i totally did not see the ending coming… i guess i was so worried about what the letter said and the damn rocket that i just kinda didnt think it was possible… lol

yoka

I’ve been looking forward to seeing this series. I can’t wait until it comes to the on-line player next Thursday.
Slick

I’m in the same boat as you Slick, cant wait for this, looks rather different from most any series i’ve seen.

Just finished the first episode of it and I must say, this looks like it’ll be rather awesome.

:wink: It only gets better folks, at least until episode 9. I can’t speak for the final 3 episodes. But the upcoming 8 are all quite excellent!