Spice and Wolf / Ōkami to Kōshinryō

Spice and Wolf / Ōkami to Kōshinryō

Genres: adventure, drama, fantasy, romance
Themes: economics, trading, wolf girls
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: Kraft Lawrence, a 25-year-old peddler travelling from town to town selling and buying various things to make a living during a period much like Europe in the Middle Ages. One night when stopped at the town of Pasroe, he finds in his wagon a 250 year old pagan wolf deity girl named Holo. She appears to be that of a 15 year old girl, except for a wolf tail and ears. She introduces herself as the town’s goddess of harvest who has kept it blessed with good harvests of wheat for many years. Despite having the responsibility to watch over the town, she wants to go back to her homeland in the north called Yoitsu, she believes the people have already forsaken her anyway and that she has kept her promise to maintain the good harvests. She manages to bargain her way out of the village by making a deal with Lawrence to take her with him. As they travel, her wisdom helps increase his profits, but at the same time, her true nature draws unwanted attention from the church.
Number of episodes: 13
Vintage: 2008-01-08 to 2008-03-25

ANN Info Page

Spice and Wolf II / Ōkami to Kōshinryō II

Genres: adventure, drama, fantasy, romance
Themes: economics, folklore, love, merchants
Plot Summary: Continuing where the first series left off, it follows Kraft Lawrence a experienced traveling merchant and his sharp tongued wolf god companion Holo on their journey to return to Holo’s home to the north called Yoitsu. A tender relationship has blossomed between the characters, as they make deals, travel between cities, encounter religious fanatics or vice versa and mostly just do what a traveling merchant has to do to get by.
Number of episodes: 12
Vintage: 2009-07-08 to 2009-09-23

ANN Info Page

Spice & Wolf: merchant meets the wise wolf / Ōkami to Kōshinryō: merchant meets the wise wolf

Plot Summary: The life of a traveling merchant is a lonely one, a fact with which Kraft Lawrence is well acquainted. Wandering from town to town with just his horse, cart, and whatever wares have come his way, the peddler has pretty well settled into his routine—that is, until the night Lawrence finds a wolf goddess asleep in his cart. Taking the form of a fetching girl with wolf ears and a tail, Holo has wearied of tending to harvests in the countryside and strikes up a bargain with the merchant to lend him the cunning of “Holo the Wisewolf” to increase his profits in exchange for taking her along on his travels. Lawrence soon learns, though, that having an ancient goddess as a traveling companion can be a bit of a mixed blessing.
Vintage: 2024-04-01

ANN Info Page

Spice and Wolf: Wolf and Amber Melancholy (OAV) Vintage: 2009-04-30

Is this show any good? I better not had wasted a pre-order.

1 Like

The show is good, I am not sure about the voices they got for it over at Funimation. It has 11 volumes so far for the light novels, and each volume is made into half a series. The first 12~13 episode series is the first two light novels, and the new series has 7 episodes so far covering volume 3 and starting volume 4.

If you like fantasy genre, but don’t need all the constant sword fighting, and like some good story then you should like the adventures of Horo and Craft Lawrence.

Where did you pre-order it? :ohmy:

[quote=shadzar]
The show is good, I am not sure about the voices they got for it over at Funimation. It has 11 volumes so far for the light novels, and each volume is made into half a series. The first 12~13 episode series is the first two light novels, and the new series has 7 episodes so far covering volume 3 and starting volume 4.

If you like fantasy genre, but don’t need all the constant sword fighting, and like some good story then you should like the adventures of Horo and Craft Lawrence.

Where did you pre-order it? :ohmy:[/quote]

On Right Stuf. I needed another choice for a Funi sale.

Well looks like I am gonna have to wait for its price to drop. Too many VA’s I know nothing about to spend that much on even if Clickenbeard(sp) is a part of it. These are some real good characters that need to be expressed perfectly in voices the season two trailer movie(online OVA thingy) shows. They will make or break it.

Either way, hope you like the story when you get it. It is something new for anime so you won’t have seen stuff like it before at least.

[quote=shadzar]
Well looks like I am gonna have to wait for its price to drop. Too many VA’s I know nothing about to spend that much on even if Clickenbeard(sp) is a part of it. These are some real good characters that need to be expressed perfectly in voices the season two trailer movie(online OVA thingy) shows. They will make or break it.

Either way, hope you like the story when you get it. It is something new for anime so you won’t have seen stuff like it before at least.[/quote]

That’s exactly what I want.

It’s good you won’t regret it!!!

Imagine Economics 101 with a wolf girl, it’s awesome.

[quote=mitamaking]

Imagine Economics 101 with a wolf girl, it’s awesome.[/quote]

From what I understand it goes quickly into more than just 101, but a master’s degree. One of the few manga that has a strong focus on economics and pulls off one heck of a story with it as well.

Just wish ADV had gotten it.

[quote=shadzar]

[quote=mitamaking]

From what I understand it goes quickly into more than just 101, but a master’s degree. One of the few manga that has a strong focus on economics and pulls off one heck of a story with it as well.

Just wish ADV had gotten it.[/quote]

So people could complain about no dub?

[quote=blakdragon7]

[quote=shadzar]

[quote=mitamaking]

Just wish ADV had gotten it.[/quote]

So people could complain about no dub?[/quote]

:unsure: ADV isn’t dubbing anything anymore? That sucks!

I like many of the VAs for some of the parts in Spicy Wolf.

I don’t mind subs, I just wish for once they would make then where you could read them. I never understood the point of words so small you couldn’t read them. CC is much better than any sub I have ever seen. (I have to watch everything CC anyway…)

Actually I am curious since it is about money how they spell the money so CC/legible sub would be a good thing. helps me follow the strange names given to things.

What will be funny will be hearing the end of the debate Holo or Horo. :stuck_out_tongue:

ADV would just get Luci to play Ho***R***o if they did dub it.

As it is I have no idea what to expect from the dub but all we can do is cross our fingers.

[quote=mitamaking]

As it is I have no idea what to expect from the dub but all we can do is cross our fingers.[/quote]

I agree R not L…It isn’t like Arucard (Dracura…I mean Dracula) from Hellsing. You have to sometimes take into account Engrish and see if the R or L sounds better. Holo…graph? Uhm, NO! Horo, sounds intriguing and interesting. Also “oro” means gold in one language, and for a series aobut money, why not have that name in there. But her name and money sounding similar mgiht be a bit of a spoiler for some…

Yup. blak gets to be our guinea pig. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=shadzar]

[quote=mitamaking]

As it is I have no idea what to expect from the dub but all we can do is cross our fingers.[/quote]

I agree R not L…It isn’t like Arucard (Dracura…I mean Dracula) from Hellsing. You have to sometimes take into account Engrish and see if the R or L sounds better. Holo…graph? Uhm, NO! Horo, sounds intriguing and interesting. Also “oro” means gold in one language, and for a series aobut money, why not have that name in there. But her name and money sounding similar mgiht be a bit of a spoiler for some…

Yup. blak gets to be our guinea pig. :P[/quote]

What?

[quote=blakdragon7]

[quote=shadzar]

What?[/quote]

You pre-ordered it, so will likely get it before anyone else does, and get to tell us how good or bad the dub is. If it is dubbed like Chobits, then it will ruin the future of the show. If these unknown VA’s do a good job, then it will give the currently running second series a better chance.

That is if you even listen to the dub instead of watching it in J and sub mode.

[quote=shadzar]

[quote=blakdragon7]

[quote=shadzar]

What?[/quote]

You pre-ordered it, so will likely get it before anyone else does, and get to tell us how good or bad the dub is. If it is dubbed like Chobits, then it will ruin the future of the show. If these unknown VA’s do a good job, then it will give the currently running second series a better chance.

That is is you even listen to the dub instead of watching it in J and sub mode.[/quote]

I probably will watch the dub.

Funi posted dubbed eps 1 and 2 on their website. I didn’t really like the anime subbed, but I’ll probably watch at least the first dubbed ep and see if I like it any better.

Well judgeing the show by the first episode alone, it’s quite a nice show. It’s quiet, slower paced and cheerful series. No loud explosions, big bangs, or giant fights or anything. Not as laid back as say To Heart, but still very light and quiet. Feels more like a slice of life series then a fantasy, but I’m perfectly alright with that. In fact I think that’s why I may like it so much. I do like a series that’s laid back like this now and again. Quite refreshing actually. Plus with all comparsion to Kino’s Journey = me want now! The first episode was good enough for me to buy the rest of the first season IMO.

[quote=Prede]
Well judging the show by the first episode alone, it’s quite a nice show. It’s quiet, slower paced and cheerful series. No loud explosions, big bangs, or giant fights or anything. Not as laid back as say To Heart, but still very light and quiet. Feels more like a slice of life series then a fantasy, but I’m perfectly alright with that. In fact I think that’s why I may like it so much. I do like a series that’s laid back like this now and again. Quite refreshing actually. Plus with all comparison to Kino’s Journey = me want now! The first episode was good enough for me to buy the rest of the first season IMO.[/quote]

OMG I hope you do a review for it down the road Prede. This series I feel is right up your alley. I am about to embark on season 2 of it in about a week.

Funimation Adds Chobits Films

I don’t think it ended up flopping everyone :slight_smile:

Great news.

Chobits I already own, with the snazzy art box. Don’t really care for an upscaled BD, and that’s what it’ll be.
Spice and Wolf was okay. Season 2 is a mayyyybe…
The only one, i MAY be interested in are the Eden movies. But only after the series is out. That’ll be what…2 years from now. By then something better will come along and I’ll have forgoten bout Eden.

What Spice and Wolf Can Teach Us About Economics - IGN Anime Club