Supernatural: The Anime Series

Target will have it for

DVD $29.99

Blu-ray $34.99

Best pass on Buy does not have it listed.

I have Amazon Prime, so I received this Monday night. It’s a little weird watching Supernatural animated, when one is use to it being live action.

I got the bluray edition and I’m a little disappointed. The picture quality isn’t bad, but there is something soft and fuzzy about it. More than likely it was due to it being upconverted from 720/1080i.

The dub isn’t the best either. You can tell Jared Padalecki isn’t accustomed to this type of voice acting. Also, the voice flaps are really off at times. There has been some criticisms of some of Sentai’s dubs for this, but this is much worse.

Anyway, a couple episodes it’s entertaining enough, despite its faults.

One more thing. The script is bad, really bad. In fact, it’s probably the worst I’ve heard in recent memory. It’s particularly bad when it attempts to be funny. When trying for comedy, the lines come across awkward and clumsy. Things Dean and Sam would never say happen way too often. For instance, one like where Dean refers to his Impala as the closest thing he’s ever had to a girlfriend. Really?

I wonder if it may have been that they stayed to close to the literal interpretation of the original Japanese script.

[quote=dragonrider_cody]
I have Amazon Prime, so I received this Monday night. It’s a little weird watching Supernatural animated, when one is use to it being live action.

I got the bluray edition and I’m a little disappointed. The picture quality isn’t bad, but there is something soft and fuzzy about it. More than likely it was due to it being upconverted from 720/1080i.

The dub isn’t the best either. You can tell Jared Padalecki isn’t accustomed to this type of voice acting. Also, the voice flaps are really off at times. There has been some criticisms of some of Sentai’s dubs for this, but this is much worse.

Anyway, a couple episodes it’s entertaining enough, despite its faults.[/quote]

I’ve heard about the video this seems to happen with almost every Anime release they put out completely themselves in some way. I think I might save 5.00 and go for the DVD release since from what I hear the audio is the only real advantage over it on the Blu-ray. The problem with Warner Bros anime dubs seem to be they are still using methods that have not been used in years. They should have just skipped using the actors or had them pre-record their stuff and then let Seraphim Studios take care of it from there. I think this would be something that could really benefit from a little Foster.

dragonrider_cody wrote:

[quote]One more thing. The script is bad, really bad. In fact, it’s probably the worst I’ve heard in recent memory. It’s particularly bad when it attempts to be funny. When trying for comedy, the lines come across awkward and clumsy. Things Dean and Sam would never say happen way too often. For instance, one like where Dean refers to his Impala as the closest thing he’s ever had to a girlfriend. Really?

I wonder if it may have been that they stayed to close to the literal interpretation of the original Japanese script.[/quote]

I’ve been told it’s a rent at best because of the bloody action.

Remember The Supernatural Anime?